2007 Dodge Charger RTLOST POWER

I was driving my 2007 Dodge charger, while making a left turn my transmission went out with out any warning, which almost did not allow me to clear the intersection, which put me in a position to get hit by an approaching car...I tried to excellerate, but had no power was told by the dealer it was a valve body which was going to cost me $690.00 to repair...worst car ever...I could not believe transmission gave me no warning...no warning lights or anything so scary!
There should be some sort of recall on that...I could have lost my life...would like to know if anyone else has had an incident like that one.