False advertising non results

Meridian Medical
Doing Business in the USA
Phone: 604.542.2200
False advertising, no results, the lipo laser using the medical device the lapex-2000 to reduce fat in spot areas of the body does not work! This is not smart lipo, which according to the fda does work. Meridian medical manufactures the lapex-2000 and advertisies it for spot fat reduction with instant results and full results with a series of treatments. After finding out it didn't work and and being charged $2500 for this service at a local business, slender spa body wraps. I have learned that the device used: meridian medical's lapex-2000 is not approved by the fda for spot fat reduction. And is classified by the fda as an infrared lamp/non-laser non-thermal instrument with non-heating effect for use in pain therapy!!! Not for treating fat, not a laser at all. The dept of health & human services also has it classified as a infrared lamp. Even though the manufacturer and spa both claim proven results, the manufacturer only shows 2 clinical studies on laser technology, suction and fat extration as supporting evidence. Not studies of the lapex-2000 device of which does not use suction or fat extraction! Do not spend money on this!!!
Complaint comments Comments (18) Complaint country United States Complaint category Weight Loss Products and Programs
Was the above complaint useful?
More Yolo Complaints & Reviews
Yolo - Results

9th of May, 2010 by    -1 Votes
Agreed!...Lipo Laser doesn't work!
I'm in good physical condition, have low body fat, and it did nothing for me either. It was a terrible experience! PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY! DON'T TRY THIS IT WON'T WORK!
After reading this post I too started doing some poking around to find out what kind of research trials and approvals were on this device, the Lapex 2000. I found out a lot of good info: The trials that the company uses as proof of results have nothing to do with the Lapex 2000 or Lipo Laser! The website shows a Korean study of only 28 people about body contouring with a laser proceedure and suction. Lipo Laser doesn't use suction! The other, a Louisiana State Univeristy Study including 12 people having laser assisted Lipoplasty. Which again is not treatment with the Lapex200/lipo laser.
What I don't understand is...if this device works for spot fat reduction (which of course it does not!) is why are there no published clinical studies showing results? Also if it's been used for years in Canada for Fat Reduction, then why hasn't it been approved by the Canada for that purpose? Also why wasn't it presented to the FDA in the USA for that purpose? This company's advertising is very misleading!

I am going to try and find more victims...I SEE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT COMING!
 16th of May, 2010 by    0 Votes
Let's just stick to the facts. This is not about anyone's personal life. It is about whether or not Lipo Laser with the Lapex 2000 is proven to work for spot fat reduction!

To Slender Spa: If Lipo Laser using the Lapex 2000 works...prove it with some links to published independent clinical studies using the Lapex 2000 that include a large number of human subjects who received substantial SPOT FAT REDUCTION results (over normal daily weight/inch fluctuations of 1 to 3 inches and 3 to 5 lbs). And proof of FDA regarding approval of the Lapex 2000 for use in Spot Fat Reduction by Canada or the USA.

To anyone considering Lipo Laser Treatments that use the Lapex 2000 medical device (This is NOT the same as Smart Lipo): Please do yourself a favor and check this out before you invest: Call or email the United states FDA you will get the same response I did:

This is in response to your email below to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requesting information on a device used for spot fat reduction.

04/21/2010: Currently, there is no device that has been cleared by the FDA with the name "Lipo Laser" nor have there been any clearances for any such cold laser that is intended to cause fat cells to leak fat.

There are a number of lasers using thermal energy that have FDA clearance for fat lipolysis with whatever fat that is melted by the thermal process being evacuated from the body using suction.

Here is the response I received from the Canadian version of the FDA:

On behalf of CCRPB-PCRPCC (CCRPB.PCRPCC@hc-sc.gc.ca) Lapex 2000 is approved for the temporary reduction in the appearance of cellulite.
 28th of Jun, 2010 by    -1 Votes
This complaint was totally debunked in the other complaint this person wrote.

17th of Jul, 2010 by    +2 Votes
Thsi was not debunked in any way shape or form. Lipo Laser treatments using the Lapex-2000 do not work at all! Keep your money and run!
 17th of Jul, 2010 by    +1 Votes
Slender Spa will ask you to sign a contract stating they don't guarantee results...Why? Because the owner knows the the Lipo Laser treatments don't work! Or they would guarantee their service.

The owner of Slender Spa should do the right thing and quite lying to people to try and make up for her bad investment! Meridian medical who makes the Lipo Laser/Lapex 2000 device ripped her off and now she is trying to get her investment back by scamming others out of money!

This is a huge scam...please keep your money!
 19th of Aug, 2010 by    +1 Votes
I did my first (now only) treatment today through a free 1 session coupon in the local newspaper.
My boyfriend said he would buy the "Full Body' treatments fo rme if I wanted.
I appreciate all of your comments. I think I will find a excersize buddy instead of using this method.
 4th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
Interesting on how people are so eager to complain about a service or treatment when they are not pleased. How many of us write a letter to a restaurant or shoe store when we have great service? Exactly, we are hearing one person's complaint. (Well 2 complaints from the same person)
I am pretty sure the success stories out weigh the unsuccessful stories.
I had a technician come in my salon (with her own Lipolaser Lapex 2000 machine) to offer the Lipolaser treatments to my clients two days a week for almost two years.
It was an added service for my clients. I didn't make any money from it.
The results where excellent to about 85% of the clients. Reason being, it ONLY works on those of you you have LESS THAN 30% Body Fat. This is for those people who have a specific area that diet and exercise couldn't get rid of.
So for the person who is complaining, did you meet the guidelines? Did you go onto a quality vibration plate right after your treatments? Did you do the recommended amount of treatments? I know clients that did the Lipolaser and sat in an infrared sauna after, they were not pleased with those results. You must get onto a WBV machine to aid with the lympatic drainage.
If you do you research properly you will see that the lipolaser does work for most people. Unfortunately, you may have been that low percentage that are unsuccessful.
Any salon or clinic that offers this service should be able to tell you how many treatments will be needed for your targeted area.
I think this has to do more with the salon you are not pleased with and not all about the Lipolaser machine.

5th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
Lipolaser with Lapex bcs or 2000 does not work. There is a lawsuit pending against this manufacturer, a distributor, and several spas due to false results claims. I think you would be smart to stop trying to convince people this works. It doesn't!

The advertised research study at a university has turned out to be bogus. The university confirmed it has no record of the study ever being done at the university.

Here is a part of a response from someone who owned the Lapex 2000 machine:

I have sold my laser as I was tired of letting people down. I felt bad even selling it!! but the person really wanted one. I guess the company talked her into one but she didnt want to pay their newly inflated price.

I had to refund almost all the packages I sold, some people saw results but very minimal and I beleive it was because the strap was so tight like a compression garment! I was not going to risk losing my clients in which I decided I would not use this machine in my practice.

Get out of the LipoLaser business, before it end up costing you dearly!
 13th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Actually i'm in the LipoLaser business and have 2 units.

I feel it falls back to the Clinic and the Doctor that has purchased the laser.

The laser works, no doubt about that, as you can see from the clinical studies that have been publishes as well as clinics that i know that have the LipoLaser. Managing patient expectations, I believe is also important, and it is too easy to say it doesn't work.
Our the patients doing the proper protocol as well as the diet and exercise program? Probably not. If you implement Meridian's total enhanced protocol, its a great tool. No one especially the company or the clinic is saying this is a miracle worker, it a device that works in combination.

Once the clients and even the clinics understand this, then not only patient satisfaction but business growth will follow.
 13th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
I am also in the business and own an unit. I know without a doubt that it does works and see it on a daily basis not only helping my clients achieve their goals but in many cases exceeding them. I had done my homework, researched the product and talked to numerous clinics that owed a Lapex Lipolaser prior to purchasing one and it has turned out to be a great fit and one of the best decisions for my business to date.
Furthermore I believe that it is total bunk and an out and out lie that there is any lawsuit pending against Meridian Medical Inc or the Manufacturer, I say show me the prove.
 25th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
The manufacture Meridian Medical has always been very good helping with any issues that I have had. My unit never had issues, however our clinic has had help with advertising and marketing.
I was really impressed with the training that my staff and received. They went beyond what a company should do. Nice surprise ... There also in the office every day if there are any issue or just if medical support or information is needed from there medical team.
I believe that the complaints are clinics that really do not understand this technology or at there very least believe this is magic.
 26th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
I would like to receive any information regarding a class action lawsuit. I am very fit, run 5 miles a day, but just had an area that needed a little work. I followed every instruction to the “T”. I would lose inches after each session, but within a couple of hours, it was all back. VERY temporary results.

I spent almost $2000 on this scam and have found many others who also lost a lot of money and no inches. I would like to be involved in a class action lawsuit if there truly is one.
 5th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
Can you post who to contact for the lawsuit? I'm actually in an office having this procedure done as I'm reading this. I snapped a couple of pics of the machine they are using. I've tried this at two different offices with now results. I bought these deals off of groupon. I feel scammed and lied too. Please post more info as you find out.
 16th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
I was going to get this but the "owner/operators" of this thing have convinced me otherwise. While each make more claims not a single one cites any proof or studies that show any efficacy in reducing, eliminating, or encouraging the same by any means. In other words take our word while we take your money. uh huh...not mine!
 19th of Aug, 2012 by    -1 Votes
Wouldn't it be great if it was so easy! So it won't work if you get the treatment and don't go do a solid work out? Use your head for something other than a hat rack! If you did regular workouts and watched what you ate, you wouldn't need a laser gizmo in the first place. You can run around in the sun wearing a rubber suit and you'll lose inches. As soon as you replace the water you lost (if you don't keel over first) you will weigh and look the same. Stop buying the snake oil! Use your $ on fresh fruits and veggies and step away from the trough. It's bitchin hard but I agree with the doc.
 14th of Sep, 2012 by    0 Votes
I lost 7.5 inches and dropped 2 dress sizes with Lipo-Laser in 2 weeks. I have kept it off for 3 years now... It works!
 25th of Oct, 2012 by    0 Votes
IT does NOT work. It is a fraudulent scam!!! where is the class action lawsuit for fraud?
 22nd of Mar, 2013 by    0 Votes
A lot of people are complaining that it doesn't work. I'm curious to know their initial size and expectations. This procedure is for people are in good shape, eat right and exercise regularly but have areas due to genetics etc. can't get get rid of. I do P90X 6 times a week and my diet is whole grains, protein, fruits and vegetables. I had a little pocket of fat under my belly button that I couldn't get rid of w diet and exercise. I went into the treatments not needing to loose any weight. After the treatments, I did the vibration machine for 10 mins then went to exercise and drank a lot of water.

There will never be a miracle cure for loosing weight, if you don't exercise and don't eat right this will be a waste of money. If you are in good shape, eat right and exercise and have a small stubborn area of fat it will work!

Yolo  Logo Yolo