logo

Net10 & Tracfone
Poor service!
2. (15 mins ago)
Debbie Travis
Debbie Travis does not stand behind her products
3. (18 mins ago)
Woolite
Stinks
4. (28 mins ago)
TheHorizonOutlet.com
Misleading credit card company!
5. (28 mins ago)
Linksys
They screw you on the warranty

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

YMT Vacations Complaints & Reviews - Stay away from this company!

YMT Vacations Contacts & Informations

YMT Vacations

Posted:    C Denny

Stay away from this company!

Copy of the letter I sent to YMT:

To: Your Man Tours (YMT)
CC: Frommer's Budget Travel, ASTA, USTOA

You post the positive reviews... how about a negative & what you did to resolve it?

I just finished writing the BBB about my mother-in-law's experience with your company (Your Man Tours) - in the process of posting on http://www.complaintsboard.com/ as I write this to you. I have copied this email to Frommer's Budget Travel, American Society of Travel Agents, and United States Tour Operators Association - all names I collected from your website. Then I will do an on line search posting this complaint to anyone & everyone who will publish it (I already belong to 2 national message boards, and several local ones - today am looking for more to listen).

My mother-in-law (60+ year old widow) has never traveled. After this experience, she will probably never travel again. She and three of her lady friends booked a tour with an agent in Mississippi through Your Man Tours... looked forward to this vacation for over six months, spent her Christmas money on the deposit. Finally the day (8 June, 2007, yesterday) comes and the ladies are whisked away by loving family and friends to the Monroe, LA airport (about an hour drive from where they live).

Who would have? Who could have? ...Known that would be the day some fool programmer wrote bad code into the air traffic control computers, shutting down Atlanta, and overloading Salt Lake City? (http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2007Jun09/0,4675,FlightDelays,00.html) Okay, things happen, flights get delayed/canceled... the airline rerouted the missed connection, and although the ladies had to travel all night, they finally made it to Boston (with all of their luggage, believe it or not).

The problems didn't end there! Last night, my husband called the hotel where the ladies were supposed to stay. He was assured someone would come to collect them in the morning when their new flight arrived and ferry them back to the hotel, no problem. This morning... no shuttle. They called the hotel and were told no one could help them and were advised to take a taxi to the cruise ship terminal at the Port of Boston. Pay for a taxi? Everything including all shuttle transportation was to have been handled through YMT! They totally missed the bus tour of Boston... Okay, never mind that - taxi to cruise terminal. Arrive at Holland America to be told the ship wouldn't be boarding for several hours. They'd have to wait... which wouldn't have been so bad IF they hadn't been traveling all night, IF they had had a decent meal, IF they had rested... and IF they had a decent place to wait! From what I understand, they waited on a bench, outside, all morning and half the afternoon with their baggage around their feet - and with dead cell phones.

We finally got hold of Holland America who went through several channels to try to confirm these four elderly ladies eventually actually boarded the ship. They did - no thanks to YMT - who basically took their money, made reservations, and then washed their hands of the rest - saying "that's unfortunate."

In the online form for my complaint with the BBB, they ask "Desired Outcome"... I wrote - First - an apology (WRITTEN & SIGNED by Pres & VP of YMT) to *each* of these 4 ladies!! Second - minimal reimbursement for at least hotel, shuttle/cab, missed bus tour of Boston & meals incurred due to extended travel situation.

Above & beyond - these ladies will probably NEVER travel again due to this experience... the trauma of 4 seniors (who've never traveled before) may well be worth the reimbursement of the trip in full!
Your Man Tours, Boston Courtyard Marriott & Holland America Cruise are all responsible for the happiness of these patrons and let them down, but especially YMT!!

If you would like to confirm this testimonial - contact C Denny cncden AT yahoo.com

Respectfully, C Denny
(Baton Rouge, LA)
Comments United States Travel & Vacations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Aug, 2007 by   Sandy M 0 Votes
I would like to know the final outcome of this disaster. That was a horrible way to treat paying customers.
 26th of Sep, 2007 by   YMT Vacations 0 Votes
Although by no means a pleasant experience, YMT has no control over flight mishaps of the nature mentioned. The accommodations at the cruise terminal are also not YMT’s responsibility. Typical cruise ship schedules are made so that the morning is a time to disembark the passengers returning from their cruise, while the early afternoon is spent embarking the next group of passengers. For every passenger embarking on a voyage, arriving early at the terminal means waiting in whatever accommodations exist in that terminal. In this instance, the late arrival regrettably meant missing the Boston tour (scheduled in the morning to keep YMT groups from simply waiting around during disembarkation to board the ship). However, the experience at the cruise terminal was, as stated before, unavoidable given the circumstances. We are truly sorry for this rare inconvenience, but cannot claim fault for these two coinciding mishaps.
 12th of Nov, 2007 by   Lovey Williams 0 Votes
I paid a deposit for the Canadian Tour and NW USA. I am ready to cancel. After I had made a list of questions and concerns, I spoke to Shalee and was "promised" that all my concerns on the "differences" between what I had requested and what was included on my "confirmation" would be corrected. The confirmation was mailed to be 10/14/07 for a trip on 9/14/08. Plenty of time to make corrections.

From watching all the judges on TV, they ALL say Get It In Writing. So I asked that the corrections be sent to me - mail or e-mail - to show my concerns have been met. I live in San Bernardino and YMT office I contacted is in Inglewood, CA - close to LA. I am 50 miles West of LA. To date, no written notice of my change.

I am willing to lose my $100 non-refundable deposit if I can't trust people I WAS going to travel with. I chose YMT because of their itinerary, but I can travel with my OLD pals - Grand Circle Travel, Vantage or Grand European Tours. YMT is not only travel company.
 11th of Jan, 2008 by   YMT Vacations 0 Votes
RE: Response to the post by "C Denny"

YMT Vacations feels that this post by "C Denny" (and the duplicate ones posted on various other sites) is mostly inaccurate and designed to mislead the reader. This is chiefly due to leaving out key facts relating to the efforts made by YMT to address these problems and concerns. Most importantly, we feel that "C Denny" is propagating an unfortunate disservice herein to the traveling public at large. The reader can clearly see that "C Denny" could have solved most of their concerns by contacting (as YMT advised) the airline in question.

As would be expected from any reputable travel company, YMT has completed our research and investigation into this matter in detail. We did so in order to re-confirm that our efforts were swift, professional and effective. Our Vice President of Tour Development responded to "C Denny's" concerns (AKA "C Denny" on other chat rooms and forums also) in a proper and timely manner, that is to say within days of the tour departure. In this letter he extended apologies that this trip did not begin with a smooth start even though these problems were in no way caused by YMT. He went on to account for all the decisions YMT had made (and their rationales) pertaining to the travelers’ situation. In short, because the group of four would not arrive in enough time to meet the motor coach tour the morning they were scheduled to do so, the best option was for them to head directly to the cruise terminal. The tour guides on the motor coaches were instructed to check and make sure that the group had made it on board when they arrived, which they did; the tour did not get to the terminal until around 12:30 PM, and to their knowledge the four were already on board because embarkation had already commenced. (The Vice President’s letter recounted the chain of communication that ensued from this situation, and has been summarized for privacy.) As our Vice President mentioned in his letter, “not knowing all of the behind the scenes efforts can also make it appear as if there was no effort made to assist these passengers, when in fact, there was constant communication about these passengers and what would be the best case solution.”

As noted in the end of the letter, a member of YMT’s consumer affairs department was assigned to the file; the matter was followed-up accordingly. Our consumer affairs representative explained that because the airlines were the source of the delay, the matter of reimbursement for expenses incurred needed to be directed to them. Moreover, each of the four members in this group was issued a $100 voucher for a future trip as a means of customer courtesy and satisfaction.

YMT feels that this matter with "C Denny" has been addressed appropriately and thoroughly, and therefore a closed matter.

To read other comments from our customers, see - http://ymtvacations.com/customers.asp

And for our latest exciting YMT TV Video (with more customer comments), see - http://ymtvacations.com/tours/ymttv/ymttv.htm

Or on YouTube at - http://youtube.com/watch?v=8DZNrfn-4xw

And our blog at - http://goymt.blogspot.com/

YMT Vacations

“America’s First Choice for Affordable Travel… Since 1967!”

1-800-922-9000
 13th of Jan, 2008 by   TJ 0 Votes
First, I would like to say, that I do travel quite a bit. Sometimes you have to learn to bend and be flexible and to go with the flow. Sometimes you can't if you are on a time schedule.

Obviously, these folks have not traveled very much, if they did, they would have realized that problems do happen when traveling. Whether computer programming, the weather, a missed flight, etc... the folks that you are holding responsible are not responsible. I am further positive, that the instructions in the package was clear in that if there were problems, to contact YMT for assistance.

What I am curious about is this: What about the rest of the tour. I didn't hear anything about that. It must have been satisfactory or else I am sure that C.Denny would have commented on that further. I also did not hear anything about the contact with the airlines and what they did in response to this matter. Futher, there is travel insurance that I am sure was offered to the travelers. Did they take it and did they file claims for that and what was the responses.

I think that the ladies should have been reimbursed for the additional expenses and for the loss of the Boston tour, but it should have been done by the appropriate agency.

When traveling there are so many variables that can go wrong, with none being done intentionally. If this was the situation, I could understand the parties involved being mad with YMT, but I think in this case, YMT did all that a reasonable person would expect.

These elderly ladies have very loving families that cared about the problems and tried to assist however they could, being so far away from their predicament. It is a shame that this happen.
 22nd of Jan, 2008 by   C Denny 0 Votes
RE: Response to the post by user alias "Ymt Vacations"

To highlight my main complaint - for any who might've missed the point...
(quote from above) My husband spoke *in person* via phone with YMT VP Chuck Supnick earlier today, who, believe it or not, commented "that's unfortunate" to the issue as explained to him. I am appalled & so mad I could *spit nickels* (as my dear grandmother was fond of saying)! And I am a woman spends a lot of time online!!! I WILL find a way to spread this account!! For you, YMT, This will be "UNFORTUNATE"! (end quote)

A quote from another complaint - sounds a whole lot like my original post!!
**I know that YMT has been in business for many years, but recently complaints about them and their sloppy business transaction to websites have sharply increased. Management seems to be in a state of flux. They seem to believe that they are untouchable and will not answer to anyone for botched travelling arrangements and "misunderstandings".
A very unprofessional approach to customer relations!**

They (YMT) also have a "carbon copy" response to all posts - positives get the "We pride ourselves" speech & negatives get "Pass the buck" excuses... (See user aliases "ymt vacations" & "yourmantours")

Notice on consumeraffairs.com link - the company responds only abruptly & with nothing but excuses, if they respond at all... my post, however, merits pretty much the same lengthy, weak reply you saw here. (as well as any of my other complaint posts you may run across, received the same carbon copy dismissive reply)

I find it interesting that a carbon copy of this exact "reply post from YMT" is found at most of my comment sites - almost amusing, in fact.

FACT: YMT has not contacted me more recently than July 10th of last year, to ask for more details regarding the matter, which I provided.
YMT has not contacted any of the travellers - by phone or mail - to inquire or follow up in any way.
YMT has my home phone & cell phone #'s on file - and may call (and reach) me anytime, day or night - they have not done so.

They (or whomever is posting on their behalf) may consider the matter closed, but I will continue to campaign against their VP for his bad attitude - which was the entire point of this complaint in the first place!
Not the unavoidable airline difficulties, or the fact that YMT dropped the ball transporting them from the airport to the hotel & cancelling (without reimbursement) their bus tour of Boston prior to boarding the cruise... these are easily forgiven - the attitude of the VP spoken to that day on the phone & the comment "THAT'S UNFORTUNATE" are inexcusable in my opinion & worthy of my efforts, regardless of the negative impact my posts are having on the travelling public.

BE WARNED: YMT thinks "THAT'S UNFORTUNATE" if any of your loved ones become stranded on one of their tours!!

I thank you all for your attention & interest. I HOPE this (and all the other) post(s) reach those travellers that YMT is so concerned about being misled. My complaint about YMT's abuse of travellers' trust stands. They are not good a consumer relations group.

Reference links:
 13th of Jun, 2008 by   YMT Customer Service 0 Votes
YMT Vacations feels that this post by "C Denny" (and the duplicate ones posted on various other sites) is mostly inaccurate and designed by C Denny to intentionally mislead the reader. This is chiefly due to leaving out key facts relating to the efforts made by YMT to address these problems and concerns. Most importantly, we feel that "C Denny" is propagating an unfortunate disservice herein to the traveling public at large. It should be noted that C Denny is not a customer of YMT, and therefore we are unable to address or provide any solution to this person directly.

As would be expected from any reputable travel company, YMT has completed our research and investigation into this matter in detail. We did so in order to re-confirm that our efforts were swift, professional and effective. Our Vice President of Tour Development responded to "cncden's" concerns (AKA "C Denny" and "cncden "on other chat rooms and forums) in a proper and timely manner, that is to say within days of the tour departure. In this letter he extended apologies that this trip did not begin with a smooth start even though these problems were in no way caused by YMT. He went on to account for all the decisions YMT had made (and their rationales) pertaining to the travelers’ situation. In short, because the group of four would not arrive in enough time to meet the motor coach tour the morning they were scheduled to do so, the best option was for them to head directly to the cruise terminal. The tour guides on the motor coaches were instructed to check and make sure that the group had made it onboard when they arrived, which they did; the tour did not get to the terminal until around 12:30 PM, and to their knowledge the four were already on board because embarkation had already commenced. (The Vice President’s letter recounted the chain of communication that ensued from this situation, and has been summarized for privacy.) As our Vice President mentioned in his letter, “not knowing all of the behind the scenes efforts can also make it appear as if there was no effort made to assist these passengers, when in fact, there was constant communication about these passengers and what would be the best case solution.”

YMT feels that this matter with C Denny has been addressed appropriately and is a closed matter.

YMT Vacations – www.ymtvacations.com
“America’s First Choice for Affordable Travel… Since 1967!”
1-800-922-9000
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   Rosemarie Hantwerker 0 Votes
My husband and I too had an awful experience with YMT lastJuly of 08. We took an Alaska cruise and land trip. Their letter to us states "YMT will be with you all the way". We saw them just before we boarded the ship, then never saw them again. The cruise was great but since we travel alot we know what to expect on cruises.The land portion was a joke as we were told to not use the bus bathroom unless it was an emergency. It was never empted for the entire land trip and what a smell! We stopped in shopping malls and ate at food courts in them. We did drive by things of interest but never stopped at them. The driver used a hand held mike to talk while trying to drive with the other hand. We heard more bout his "family and life" than about the area we were in. When we went to hotels/motels, they acted like they had never handled 3 buses at one time. No one including the bus driver ever gave us any info on places to visit and places to eat when we stopped.The checking in and out each time was awful. Our ksys to one room didn't work and many of us had to wait over 40 minutes to get someone to help us. We were bus #3 so we always had to wait till the other two buses left first. What YMT saids and what they do are two different things. We learned to get off the bus fast, eat fast, pee fast and get back on the bus even faster. When I complained to YMT and the BBB, the BBB did their best but I received a rude reply from YMT. As i said we travel constantly and relaize things happen but what happened on the trip was awful. If you were very old or handicapped, our trip was a nightmare for you. I would never never ever use YMT again. They stink and their guide in Seattle had no idea of what you could take on a ship. she encouraged people to buy food and drink at a local market to take on board. I told her you can't do that. People spent a lot of money of fruits only to have to throw they away before they could board.During the land portion of the trip when people tried to call YMT, they could only leave messages, no one ever called them back.YMT told me that everything that was stated on the last itineray we did get. They stated we did "see" certain sights, they didnt' saw we would actually see them in person, we saw them from the bus window as we drove by. So people read your last itineray from them becaue they are a bait and switch company and they word their letters, itineryries and advertisements so you get what they say but not what is implied. I saw more shopping centers on that expensive trip than I have in my whole life. I like when they have offererd others complaining a $100.00 off their next trip with YMT. If you have a bad experience you aren't going to travel with them again. They stated that the bus toliet was working and in good order. We have a full bus for over a week and it was never emptied and wasn't vented properly and this was stated by the driver and the whole bus stunk for that entire week.At each stop we were left to wander on our own for anything, especially finding places to eat and places to see.If you want a great vacation, do not use YMT ever. Rosemarie Hantwerker, roseree@dejazzd.com
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   lovetotravel 0 Votes
by Ymt Customer Service

A friend and I were planning a vaction with YMT. But after reading the above part of their response not way!! A $100.00 voucher for a future trip. That is like receiving nothing from YMT. As YMT knows these people will never use it. A total cash refund between the 4 would of only been $400.00 and would of made YMT look much better. And they are passing the buck. Yes it may of been the airlines fault to start with but YMT was paid for the Boston tour and transportation not the airlines. In this economy YMT should be more understanding to to the needs of the customer. People book with a travel company so they will have help incase of trouble. We will look for a different company for our tour.
 29th of Mar, 2009 by   newlandsteele 0 Votes
C Denny appears unreasonable. The flight to Boston was delayed. The rest of the group arrived the day before the cruise and spent the night in a hotel. The next morning the group left the hotel for sightseeing and the 4 elderly 60 + year old ladies arrived at the airport. They called the hotel and since the bus had already left it would be reasonable to say the hotel gave the 4 ladies good advise, as far as getting to the port so as not to miss the ship. It was unfortunate the flight was cancelled.
 29th of Mar, 2009 by   newlandsteele 0 Votes
I have traveled with ymt and have had no complaints. Instead of reading a few negative emails from a few customers, why not ask for references and talk to people who have travelled with YMT. If they are such a big company and have been in business so long, they must be doing something right.
 7th of Apr, 2009 by   abbymac 0 Votes
Have had several trips with YMT and generally they were O.K. I do think people should realize you get what you pay for. My first trip was the Autumn trip which was awesome. Yes, we had to pay for our meals except for breakfasts at motels when they were a part of the motel package. Everything is extra with YMT. However, you get a lot of days and get to see lots of things.
The worst trip was the one which included an Alaskan cruise. We stopped at convenience stores for snacks and at a McDonald's for lunch one time. However, we were in the "wilds" of the northwest, i.e., North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, etc. Also, we had the same request not to use the onboard bathroom which was a problem as several people had a stomach flu type illness. We changed drivers in Penticton and the one who was taking us back to SEA-TAC had not idea what he was doing.
I think the family members who booked the trip for the "elderly" (I'm a 75 yr old female - not elderly) should have done more research. If the daughter is so internet savvy she could have read reviews, seen what to expect, etc. Looks to me as though she was trying to get mom and friends on a trip "on the cheap".
I had a problem with a big name travel group when Hurricane Rita came through and my flight out was cancelled. So I couldn't make the scheduled trip to Copper Canyon. Travel insurance wouldn't cover, so my only recourse was to take a credit for another trip. Turned out to be the best I've ever done...blessings come in strange ways.
We all need to be the best informed consumers any time we spend our money, but especially when we're going to be away from home.
 3rd of Jun, 2009 by   Thomas Foulds 0 Votes
I just finished booking my second trip with YMT. The first was the Northwest tour and Alaskan cruise. It could not have been more fun. The bus portion was geared to let people off every 45mins. to an hour for a break and bathroom trip. There are not a lot of hot spots along the way so food courts and the like work just fine . The scenery is the show and our driver was very very informative and filled the driving portons with jokes and monologues as we toured. We were met on arrival by YMT . They got our luggage and got us to our first hotel. The bus took us to a new hotel each night and our luggage was delivered and picked up each day. We were dropped off at the port, able to board right away. We were met after the cruise by YMT put on a bus for the last leg of the trip. We were taken to the airport for the flight home. I am now booked for the Pilgramage Tour in April 2010. PS I took my 88 yr. old dad on the Alaskan trip . He never found it too tiring, and booked side trips at every port for us... Tom Foulds
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by   graneeze 0 Votes
We just booked the Hawaii 4 island trip waht say you what should I do
 27th of Sep, 2009 by   Mikey50 0 Votes
I have taken several trips with YMT Vacations (known also as Your Man Tours and has been for many many years). Their Hawaiian trips are awesome. If you want to pay for a first class trip then go ahead and spend twice as much as a YMT trip costs. I don't need an all expense paid trip because some times I want to do my own thing when we reach a location. You do pay extra for everything with them, but that allows me to choose what I want instead of the tour company. It does sound like the 4 ladies traveling were victims of an Airline problem. Sounds like they did the right thing when you get delayed. You talk to a cabbie and he gets you to your next location so you can catch up with the group. Why she feels this is YMT's fault I can't figure out.. Unless she is getting a cut on what she thinks she can scam back out of YMT. All of her complaints center on saying that YMT did nothing, when there was nothing for YMT to do...? Should YMT have held up an entire bus load of people because and airline flight was delayed for 4 people..? I think not..! The delayed ladies did exactly what they should have done and grab a cab and get to the ship as not to miss the cruise (as they were advised to do). Where is the issue here...? (And don't tell me it's because someone didn't kiss your behind enough).

By the way, I whole heartedly believe the Hawaiin trips are their best. You'll enjoy it. Their Guides are local Hawaiins who know everything...
 27th of Sep, 2009 by   theWanderer914 0 Votes
Mikey50...I am also considering the Hawaii Four Island deal...I was told you can also choose to do what you desire on any given day and skip going with the tour...if you choose? Additionally, they list many, many attractions as part of the itinerary...do you actually stop and visit those or do they drive by with your nose pressed to the bus window "seeing it"? Any info would helpful! Thank you!
 5th of Dec, 2009 by   DianeLuCeile 0 Votes
We are considering booking the Alaska Cruise and tour of the Great NW. It says we go to Yellowstone Nt'l Park, Old Faithful, Grand Teton Nat'l Park, Jackson Hole, and Grand Coulee Dam. Do we actually stop and get out or do we just drive by?
 4th of Jan, 2010 by   vnascar1357 0 Votes
I hve booked the land and Alaska cruise I also want to know if we will stop to look at the itenerary or do we just look out the window as we ride by? My husband will not be very happy if it is just a ride by I need to know before I give my full payment. E mail me at vickie.l.arnold@medstar.net Thanks
 26th of Jan, 2010 by   gpolk10@comcast.net 0 Votes
In mid-2008 my wife and I, along with another couple, booked the Hawaii Four Island tour for September 2009, with YMT.. including air travel from and returning to Atlanta. The entire trip came off without a hitch and on time. We visited every site that had been mentioned, plus had open time available to book additional local tours or do whatever we chose to do. Every tour guide assigned to us and all of the drivers were a delight to be with and were all knowledgable & eager to serve our every need and answer every question. YMT took care of every detail of all of the island-to-island flights making it a piece of cake. Our entire 15-day trip was a positive and pleasant experience. YMT responded promptly to every question/request that we had during the planning stage then did everything they said they would do. We are now planning a NE Fall Leaf tour with YMT and considering a future tour to the NW and Alaska with YMT. They came highly reccommended to us by some good friends (who are quite particular) and we, in turn, are reccommending YMT to our friends without hesitation. gpolk10@comcast.net
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   ArchiGoodwin 0 Votes
I guess I am a savvy "older" traveler (65, not elderly!). Our family has been on many independent trips and recently went on our first guided group tour, though not with YMT. My comment pertains to tours, but also to travel in general. I felt annoyed by the complaining, whining, and trumped up charges against YMT by C.Denny, even though I don't know the person or the company. Anyone who books a guided tour and is willing to put up a few thousand dollars to do so should have the common sense to read the entire contract/tour description/descriptive brochures. (Whoever said "common sense is all too uncommon" was right!) My point about that is that any tour company (such as YMT) is really just a booking agent for several different service providers. Yes, they put the "package" together and say that they will guide you along the way, but they say right up front in their literature that they can not be held responsible for the faults of the air carrier/cruise line/land tour operators, etc. It is just not possible to provide for all possible things than can, but don't usually, go wrong. C.Denny undoubtedly has her friends welfare in mind, but to blame YMT and broadcast her misplaced anger around the internet is ridiculous. I have travelled with thousands of cruisers over the years, and on every trip I have heard a VERY FEW badmouthing the company for things they should have realized will go wrong when 2, 000-3, 000 people all want to be served first and best on a huge boat with perhaps 800 or more crew. I dislike whiners who misplace their displeasure or think everything must go perfectly or someone will pay!

New Gift Card Rules & Military Scams