logo

Intoxalock
Hidden Fees
3. (10 mins ago)
Motorola India
Very poor customer service!
4. (12 mins ago)

Yelp.com

Posted: 2011-01-18 by    DavidBell144

SCAM

Yelp.com
Let me start by saying that my name is Vic.M and I am the owner of Kis Kiss Hookah Bar, and whose business is obviously listed on Yelp.com. We had good & bad reviews as any other place, but more good ones, total of 47 reviews since we've been in the business for over 6 years.
Couple of months ago I got a phone call from a Yelp.com sales representative (whose name was Mathew) offering me to advertise on Yelp.com for about $300 per week, which I of course refused. A couple of days later Yelp.com removed 42 of my companies' reviews!!! Leaving us with only bad reviews...this type of activity is clearly fraudulent so please sway away from Yelp.com!!!

To learn more about Yelp Scams, please visit www.yelplosangeles.com which is a site I created.
Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Feb, 2010 by   yelpscam1 0 Votes
This company are scammers. They allow companys to PAY to have their bad reviews removed. I have a friend that works at YELP and we had a long discussion about this. I have written over 30 reviews and about 10 are bad. 7 of the 10 reviews have been removed by YELP after the company PAID them to remove it. THEY NEED TO HAVE A DISCLAIMER THAT THEY DO THIS BECAUSE IT IS VERY BIASED AND MISLEADS CONSUMERS WHO USE THEIR SITE.
 20th of Feb, 2010 by   Dallasbusinesslady 0 Votes
Thank you for sharing your bad experience. This business practices EXTORTION! I am filing a suit against them. They will spend a lot of money Flying their lawyers to N Texas to answer my defamation and Extortion small claims lawsuit. If we all do it, they will be spending more money defending their bad practices than they can shake down out of businesses to " remove" the malicious reviews for payment! Pls contact me if you would like. Mdcaperton@gmail.com.
 26th of Sep, 2010 by   DavidBell144 0 Votes
Let me start by saying that I am owner and whose business is obviously listed on http://Yelp.com.My business is called Kis Kiss Mediterranean Cafe & Hookah Bar. We had good & bad reviews as any other place, but more good ones, total of 47 reviews sine we've been in the business for over 6 years.
Couple of months ago I got a phone call from a http://Yelp.com sales representative (whose name was Mathew) offering me to advertise on http://Yelp.com for about $300 per week, which I of course declined. A couple of days later http://yelp.com removed 42 of my companies' reviews!!! Leaving us with only bad reviews...this type of activity is clearly fraudulent so please sway away from http://yelp.com!!!
 9th of Apr, 2011 by   Concern Business Owner 0 Votes
I myself have witness similar things with my businesses. I too have refuse a to advertise with them and have seen good reviews get deleted and the numbers of total reviews slowly decrease. I wish there was a way the general public can see what really is going on and how much of a disservice Yelp really is... So if you have made reviews and seen them deleted. Please let us know.. I would love to get some type of database together. 1 star for Yelp.com for manipulating reviews.
 30th of Jul, 2011 by   Kate 1977 0 Votes
This is exactly what happen to me!
I am business owner like you and have listing on Yelp, after refusing paid advertising around 30 good reviews left by active Yelpers started disappearing one by one leaving me with couple bad reviews.
It's not fair! Is there anything we can do about that???
 10th of Sep, 2011 by   Jakemorro 0 Votes
Not sure if you knew this. But if you are paying for your ad/listing on Yelp, no one can leave a bad review on it. This is part of the scam I am sure. If you choose not to pay them, most of the good reviews will eventually disappear and go to the filtered list. I hope they really ARE getting sued for all of this. Do you know what the current situation is with this?
Thanks.
Kevin
 2nd of Oct, 2011 by   expatbrit 0 Votes
TruthIsNowTold you are spouting a load of mistruth! I was contacted by Yelp asking for an exorbitant fee to list me and manage my reviews then when I refused all my good reviews were "filtered" while the two bad ones were left available!!

I have no problem with people leaving a bad review and always try to address any concerns, but filtering out good reviews while leaving up bad ones if you won't pay them is a scam and an illegal ripoff. If you doubt this then wake up and get a life instead of trying to justify a company that is only interested in extorting money from business owners!
 29th of Jan, 2012 by   Damaged by yelp 0 Votes
We declined their offer to "allow" us to advertise on Yelp for $350 a month. The next day all of our five star reviews were gone and magically replaced with a horrific one star review. What can be done?? These are cyber crooks and must be stopped
 12th of Apr, 2013 by   boquin 0 Votes
This happened to a friend of mine who owned a small business. She had been listed on Yelp with 4+ stars out of 5. She never asked to be on the Yelp page but was happy to have it and see that her business was getting such great reviews. Then, a Yelp rep called and offered her an 'upgrade' for $300 a week. As a small business owner, she couldn't afford this and declined. The next thing she sees is over 100 of her positive reviews disappeared and only the 2 negative reviews remained. Now, her small business is suffering. it feels like she's been blackmailed. She's going to file a complaint with the BBB, State Attorney's office, and she plans to contact our local news station. I recommend the same action if you are also having those problems with Yelp.com. Many consumers will occupy an establishment based on reviews. Yelp can seriously harm a business with this practice.

Common Scams to Avoid on Your Next Vacation