logo

1. (12 mins ago)
Kafaa
riverwood university
2. (18 mins ago)
incredible health remedies.com sciatica relief
money taken no goods received
3. (56 mins ago)

Xlibris

Posted:    Asha

Scam

Xlibris
Quite simply, Xlibris is a fraudulent, dishonest and incompetent, disaster zone. Xlibris is nothing more than a quick-buck scam printer, posing as a "print-on-demand publisher", and it has one of the highest complaints percentages for a small business of it's type - with numerous civil legal proceedings for fraud and libel - including one major one that is currently in the Indiana courts and when the judgement is made public in Spring 2011, will likely make the Rebecca Brandewyne/Authorhouse saga look like a walk in the park. (Word is they're going to need to remortgage a few houses to cover the damages on this latest libel case) Xlibris was started in the late 1990s in a parents' basement, and was previously run out of a garage/home office in Philadelphia, but in the last year moved to the Author Solutions call-center with partner frauds, AuthorHouse (which has a long legal history - just Google "Authorhouse Scam" to find out) and Searchforpublishers.com - the quintessential Author trap. As of December 2010, Xlibris owes huge back taxes to the IRS and is currently carrying huge liabilities that Mr Princeton CEO Kevin Weiss has strategized to rescue with disturbingly dubious "publish 2 for 1" / "publish for a buck" coupon deals which any writer, however good or bad, should stay well clear. Their book production is dogshit like their customer service. Piers Anthony, one of the website's English owners, one of the swarming flies who still fronts this scam, is a failed British "published author" and part time con-man who lives in Florida, and has a few skeletons of his own - including a 20-year old criminal record in the UK for serious sexual misconduct, fraud and theft. Yes, Random House does still own a percentage - but let's be clear folks, Random House has a sleeping stake much the same way that Microsoft partially owns the adult services site, Ingenio/Niteflirt and don't they keep that very quiet. RH makes VERY CLEAR that Xlibris books have nothing to do with RH. The Xlibris website contains inept, vague material which is more confusing than helpful, and makes wild inconsistent boasts about how the company has "600 staff" on one page, yet, on another page mysteriously has "300 employees". The company actually has 3 full time employees, (including Mr Ivy League Kevin Weiss), and at any one time up to 10 part time workers, most of whom are part-time college students who know virtually nothing about publishing except high school english and how to make a greasy $10/hour. The problems with printing at Xlibris are as long as Authorhouse's scam history, they are a disgusting company and I'm sorry they ever crossed paths with my work.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Jan, 2011 by   Magics 0 Votes
I thank you for this information it is very good and as I am getting ready this year to have my book published this is a great site to come to and check things out. I am sorry you had to go through all that at an exciting time in a writers life and then to deal with this is unacceptable
 20th of Mar, 2011 by   missdivasweet 0 Votes
I am a new writer and right now i'm working on getting my book published and xlibris was the company that i was going for. i havn spoken to a lady named Karen Tiller who's suppose to be my publishing consultant and i'm looking for aome advice on who i could turn to for self-publishing my book. Can anybody help direct me in the right path. i refuse to get scammed.
 5th of Apr, 2011 by   Kred2 0 Votes
Xlibris self publishing book company is a fraud and i hire lawyer who said it is a web so big it would cost so much money to get it done, not only me they fraud but many say the book is not selling and it is do not change the copyright name but take the money they sell the image of the book to other for a price and then the print as well and you get nothing of it, and they have it all over for the wages of them only, I want a good group of others who got Farand of them with a good lawyer for us all and to go in this and sue them for this horrid thing, the name of the book I did write is Your Gift of Life vol 1 vol 11 or same Your Gift of Life Unity of nations the book was true a call and has and is out there still selling, it was a documented book as well.
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   DisplayNameAlreadyTaken 0 Votes
I was so proud when Xlibris published my first book, and it all seemed fine, so I proceeded to get my second book published. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything about royalties, I've been waiting almost four months for my author copies, and I have also noticed you cannot use their 'contact us' section on the website since as soon as you try sending anything you receive an email saying that your message cannot be delivered. I would not recommend these publishers in the slightest.
 7th of Jun, 2011 by   Gary Wayne Thomas 0 Votes
Recently, I had my first book, REDEMPTION, published by xlibris. I would not recommend this company's "services" to any writer. It became obvious to me (after they had my money) that the staff knows less than nothing about the art of writing and even less about the English language. The twenty-four phone calls that occurred between me and company representatives during the publishing process were torturous exercises in excruciating futility. I could not understand what they were saying as they fumbled about with both my language and the script from which they were reading. If I had a dollar for each time I had to say, "I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you said", I would now have back the money that I naively handed over to them. Whenever I tried to explain my work conceptually or attempted to express my desires for my book's appearance, I received a "That's great." from my representative, and the whole time I was thinking that it was not great because you do not have a clue about what I just said. I thought I was going to develop a working relationship with a company that cares about artists and their works, but am sadly disappointed. I guess I should have known better than to try to mix art with capitalism. I don't have a recommendation for fellow writers about how to pursue your dreams, professionally. I can only definitively tell you not to waste your hard-earned money on xlibris. However, I'm not going to give up on my dream and you shouldn't either. Keep exercising your craft. Write something every day even if you don't think it's any good. Express how you feel and at the end of the day I promise it will make you feel better. There has to be someone out there who still cares about art - even in America. Write on.
Gary Wayne Thomas - Santa Rosa, California
 24th of Jun, 2011 by   Brainsie 0 Votes
Do not give them credit card details over the phone. It is something I would never normally do but they told me that it was the only way that the could process payment. Reluctantly I did so and then found that, in addition to the book publishing fee, they had used my credit card to transfer money to a personal account. My bank reversed it but there are people at Xlibris who are thives. If they want to sue me for this remark, I would be delighted to meet them in court with my evidence. DO NOT GIVE CREDIR CARD DETAILS
 2nd of Jul, 2011 by   JeffreyM121 0 Votes
From what I've read about xlibris, their deal is, "Okay you get a better deal financially than you would with a normal publisher, but we put all of the annoying leg work on you to market this book and make it successful." The chances of any author managing to do this successfully, with large scale production and distribution in mind, is slim to none, seeing as it is POD. They hype self-publishing by citing famous authors, but this has to be taken with a grain of salt, because firstly you aren't a famous author with large publishers begging you to write another book, and I'm doubtful that self-publishing made those authors famous or wealthy at any point.

Amateur authors may not like it, but your chances are better with a regular mainstream publisher, because they at least have a vested interest in making your work a success if they feel it has potential with whatever markets the subject matter touches upon. Xlibris however makes money off of YOU, whether you succeed or fail. So xlibris markets themselves as THE publisher for ambitious amateur authors, but in effect and conclusion they harvest lots of money from people who would have otherwise been rejected by a major publisher (which is free of cost). I would rather be told I suck by professionals who have a vested interest a book's success than be told it doesn't matter by people who have a vested interest in my putting money in their pocket regardless.

Here are a few snippets from Xlibris' website, demonizing major publishers.

"A book is a reflection of the author. Self-publishing gives you complete control on the direction of your book. The decisions are exclusively yours and not limited by third parties with intentions and interests different from your own." -Xlibris

"As a self-publisher, you own all rights to your book. If you use a traditional publishing house, they will own all rights. If they lose interest in your book, you will not be able to print additional copies unless you purchase those rights back." -Xlibris

Another interesting gem taken from Xlibris...

"Each of us has a unique life story to tell, complete with ordinary incidents, moments of brilliance, tragedy and humor. Your book is an expression of yourself and a great legacy to leave behind."

Wow I feel warm and fuzzy now that I've read that essentially meaningless drivel.

If you're STILL not convinced, look at it this way.

You'll be paid by a publishing company for your work if they like it, and you'll have a better chance at success than trying to broker deals with major business entities by yourself ("Hi I'm Joe from Wisconsin, I'd like to have a meeting to convince you why you should sell my self-published book!" "Lolno thats okay thxbye").

OR

You can pay Xlibris INSTEAD while they sit back and do much less work than a traditional publishing house would do on your behalf. Hmm.

Their main selling point is that you will retain all rights to your work, but that is nothing more than bait which puts the idea into your head that selling your work IS BAD. Don't fall for it. As an amateur author you can't expect to hammer out a deal with a publishing house that is exceptionally in your favour, but that is to be expected, and if your work is successful then you'll have more leverage when dealing with them in the future. You're the one going to them, not the other way around, and they'll be taking a financial risk by investing in your work.

Moral of the story; if you suck, you suck, and don't let Xlibris tell you otherwise.
 20th of Jul, 2011 by   H.E. Busby 0 Votes
I am so happy that I finally decided to do research into Xlibris, before handing over my work, and my money. I am nearing completion of my first novel, and decided to, begin the research into publishing. I thought something strange when I inquired, only to have an agent, constantly hard sell me. Self publishing is an interesting way to go, in that I know writers, who have benefitted from it. Now to find the right company, because now from the information gained through research of Xlibris, it will not be them. Thank you all for your warnings.
 21st of Jul, 2011 by   Lanny Ray Lee 0 Votes
Easily said: I paid $5, 000.00 for a marketing campaign. Not one book was sold!
 21st of Jul, 2011 by   Lanny Ray Lee 0 Votes

Marketing - Xlibris

Simply this: I spent $5, 000.00 for a marketing scam that didn't sell one book.
 31st of Jul, 2011 by   Maytia Hernandez 0 Votes
Where were you when I researched publishing companies and ended up publishing with Xlibris in 2009? After more than a couple thousand dollars, the book still has not taken off the ground. Now I have the sequel to the book, plus a children's book to publish and doubts as where I can turn to. Great, more stress!! Nevertheless, I really thank you for you honest warning.
 10th of Aug, 2011 by   Dr. Paul Cook 0 Votes
I published a novel with Xlibris back in the early 2000s, right when they started. The book's quality was quite good, but it cost me about $1000. They subsequently priced it at $22 where it's been since then. And, of course, it's not sold a single copy--even though I'm an established science fiction writer. At $22, no one buys a trade paperback! Now they want to sell the book electronically--for $9.99. That's twice the price most novels go for on Amazon.com. The truth is, Xlibris prices its books so high because they figure--being a vanity publisher--that the only people who will buy their books are the parents or families of the author and that they'll pay any price for said book. Don't waste your time with them. Please.
 1st of Sep, 2011 by   Karen Brian 0 Votes
I was so proud when I had my first ever book published with xlibris and trusted them 100% until I read all the comments on the scam page and realised that xlibris are in it purely to make money out of people, They talked me into paying £230 for e-mail marketing I've never heard from them since, I worked hard trying to self-promote my book including going on my local radio station, writing to magazines and my local press and just none stop trying to get the message out there about my book but only to be told by Lea who works for xlibris that I had only sold 2 e-books which I find hard to believe, The money didn't really matter as it wasn't a huge sum but my all past went into that book that told a true heartbreaking and harrowing story that I had never dared to tell anyone before and guess what surprise, surprise my book is called Never trust anyone, I have wrote to xlibris and cancelled my contract with them and I am now looking for an agent who will hopefully be interested in taking my book on if there are anyone who could help me find one I would be more than grateful, kobrady@hotmail.co.uk
 1st of Sep, 2011 by   Karen Brian 0 Votes
Not too sure what those squiggly things are that are printed over my comment lol
 19th of Sep, 2011 by   Phished and Ditched 0 Votes
Well what do you know.. I was looking up Xlibris scams and lo and behold.. My story.. I published my book with Xlibris about 10 years ago.. Paid over $1000 to do so because it really sounded like it would pay off.. Well, my book has been selling everywhere.. Amazon, Ebay, Used bookstores, UK.. and I have made probably less than $100 royalities in 10-11 years.. When I ask why I am not making royalities, they inform me that my book is not selling. Whem I inform them that I think I have been scammed by 'SOMEONE"( because my book is selling everywhere and I'm not making a dime), they do nothing to look into it.. AND ON TOP OF THAT, they continue to call me asking for more money for marketing to make my book finally sell!!! How do I know it's selling? A LOT of Fans and friends have contacted me to tell me how much they enjoy the book. I see it listed everywhere including lots of copies on Ebay from folks who have used copies… so have I been royally ripped off by either other "Phishing Artists" or simply Xlibris themselves. Will never know..
 19th of Sep, 2011 by   Phished and Ditched 0 Votes
Karen, don't be surprised if your book IS selling.. you'd never know if what happened to me is happening to you..
 21st of Sep, 2011 by   Karen Brian 0 Votes
I have since e-mailed xlibris and told them that I am in the process of speaking to a lawyer (which isn't true) but guess what I received an e-mail a few days later telling me that they was sorry and that they had made a mistake and that my book had been selling and that they will send me all the money that is owed to me, Just goes to show that telling a little porky can go a long way, I recently sent a query to a top agent in London asking him if he was interested in a book that I have written and surprise, surprise I received an e-mail 3 days later asking me to send him my book, Fingers crossed and I pray that he likes it.
 17th of Nov, 2011 by   www.cherylann-thomas.com 0 Votes
I have proven that Xlibris does not pay or report royalties on books sold. None of the people I know show up as have purchased my book, Evil Eyes, A Daughter's Memoir (by www.cherylann-thomas.com). My Xlibris statement shows only 5 books have been sold, I have over 80 people I know bought the book, and paid an unusually high price for the shipping ($12.00 for a small 300 page paperback book plus the $19.95 for the book). Why are none of my known purchases not showing up on my royalty statement? They say it takes a month...well, three months later and here I am. I paid upfront $8029.00 for the publishing service, they take 75% royalties (well, 100% royalties since I am not getting my 25%). This company must be stopped and to me a class action law suit might just do it. We need lots of people who have had rip off experiences with Xlibris to get a lawyer who will work on a contingency basis (meaning he does not get paid until the order is made by the judge that, indeed, we have been duped.
 1st of May, 2012 by   DesStar +1 Votes
I have not received any royalties from my book sales either. Xlibris says that the book hasn't sold but I have a list of people I KNOW purchased the book, they have their copies of the book but Xlibris says they have no record of the sales. I believe that a class action suit is exactly what is needed in this situation.
 1st of May, 2012 by   Fat Paul Nz +1 Votes
I used this firm to get rubbish complaints like this removed

www.DeleteBadReviews.com

some guy i fell out with put shit complaints all over the web on sites like this plus forums etc, yes i paid this firm to remove them but and here's the but we can now work again with no false reviews online

Virtual Doctor Visits - Medical Savings?

Latest Groups