logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Electrolux
Double Oven will not heat after cleaning process
2. (3 mins ago)
morphsuits.com
not so nice
3. (13 mins ago)
Ymax Oration
Scam
4. (13 mins ago)
www.ea.com
Being charge a fee yearly that we do not want
5. (14 mins ago)
Reliance Protectron
Worst Security System with awful service.

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Xcel Energy, Saint Paul, Minnesota Complaints & Reviews - Billing rip off!

Xcel Energy Contacts & Informations

Xcel Energy

Posted:    Valerie

Billing rip off!

Xcel Energy
Saint Paul, Minnesota
www.xcelenergy.com
I just paid my bill and was surprised at the cost. It was over 140$! Let me explain why this bothers me. All of November, I not once turned my heater on (and yes my small 700sq ft apartment got down to 50f). It wasn't on low, I mean it was off. O-F-F. I have 2 computers in there that aren't used very much and site on idle or standby (consuming very little electricity, and one of them is 80 certified if you know what that means).

Me and my girlfriend share this small apartment, and both work long shifts (I work 12 hour shifts, she has 10 hour shifts) so we don't spend a lot of time home.

I was expecting, maybe 40 bucks at the most. But over 140! And to make matters worse, they've done this every, single, month. I used to live in a place that was 3x larger. Had between 3-12 people in it at any given moment, with 4-12 computers running (playing games), 2 tvs on, the stove, up to two microwaves, the AC on full... and never saw a bill over 70$ (In alexandria). I fail to see that the mark up of moving to the cities could hardly justify a 200-300% markup for the same power grid...

I've called them about the problem before. They basically said they don't make mistakes. They even refused to show me were my meter is, why are they hiding? If I had an option, I would leave Xcel energy in a heartbeat. The fact they have a monopoly on the thing makes it all the worse.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Dec, 2007 by   gary pankratz 0 Votes
I agree with complainant..as my billing statements have doubled and sometimes tripled in past 5 years. I used to look forward to the summer months so that I could catch up as I'd have to many times borrow to make ends meet through the winter. Now what I'm paying in the summer is equivalent to the highest bills I'd ever get through winter months..and doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the Spring or Fall months either when heat or AC are hardly used..I'm gone 12 to 14 hours per day during the week..divorced and live alone with family pets..showers down to once or twice a week..wash clothes once a week..use fluorescent lamps and watch TV 3 to 4 hours at night..my bills range from $180.00 to $ 250.00 per month during the spring/fall/summer...and $ 300.00 to $ 500.00 per month during the winter!!..in my oppinion the average consumer is not only getting screwed but also getting bilked for the thousands that can't pay!...unfortunately there isn't a damn thing we can do about it...just like everything else we're getting shafted on...Insurance premiums..Taxes...etc...Gas prices...that force the prices of all other consumer products to skyrocket!...sub-prime mortgage scams aren't the only culprits causing the home foreclosure crisis,,more like corrupt government and big business in my oppinion....
 11th of Aug, 2008 by   B -1 Votes
You may want to check your meter s/n and match that with what is on your bill. We've noticed our billing is through the roof while we don't own a dryer or air conditioner and use energy efficient lighting!!! Turns out somehow Xcel has been billing us (we live in a duplex) for our neighbors meter! My landlord is working on this so we're not sure what is going to happen just yet but after looking at their meter and the meter s/n on our bill we learned that this is the case.
 16th of Aug, 2008 by   justin -1 Votes
i just moved out of my dads house a few months back i never had utilities in my names before but to make a long story short this month(4th in this house) they sent me a bill with me and my dads name on it whom doesn't live with me and said i owe 5000.00 by the end of the month or i'm shut off? how can they charge you for your parents overdue bills?i'm gonna try and get it figured out but before hand i'm gonna call some legal aid..
 4th of Sep, 2008 by   LLM -1 Votes
Xcel won't even do anything when they make a mistake, anyway! I moved my business into a new building last December, and just got told TODAY (Sept. 4) that they hadn't been billing me for gas for ALL THAT TIME! So that means I now owe them $1300, they WON'T do any more than 8 months of payment plans (even though they screwed up for longer than that!), and my electric bills are apparently $100 - $200 per month, the reason I didn't notice the gas problem.

On top of that, they won't set me up on budget billing until the account is at zero, even though the reason I now need budget billing is because they screwed up! Oh, and the customer "service" idiot actually hung up on me and was about as rude as could possibly be. As though I'M the one who made the mistake!

This is why monopolies are bad. They don't care and they don't have to. They know they've got you between a rock and a hard place.

There's a good chance that having to pay DOUBLE bills this winter (for last year when they didn't bill me and for the current months) will put me out of business. Do they care? Of course not. This is what's wrong with America -- we've given our country to all of these soulless corporate bastards.
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   st paul +1 Votes
If your bill is higher than what you think it should be check your meter. It is not Xcel Energy's responsibility to show you where it is since your landlord chose the location. If you ask them or a maintenance person for your building they can show you right where it is. (In complexes it is normally in a utility room the landlord keeps locked and gives a key to Xcel Energy) If the reading you take is higher than what is on the bill they are right, if it is lower, take pictures and call them with your reading because you are right. If the reading is right and you still think it is too high shut off every breaker in your unit/home and go back to the meter. If it is still showing usage it means that electrician who did the wiring for your building screwed up. Xcel Energy just installs the meter so that wouldn't be their fault it is a private contractor who was hired by the building who made the mistake, but in MN that is illegal. Your landlord is REQUIRED BY LAW to have the service for all inaccurate units put in their name (yup that means they pay) until the wiring is fixed by a licensed contractor and they prove that everything is separate. If everything on the meter stops however that means that something in your unit is drawing the electric load. Have a friend help and flip the breakers on one at a time for 30-60 seconds each and see which one makes the meter run the fastest (if analog there is a little spinny thing, faster=more electric; digital has little black boxes show up more=more electric). At least then you can narrow down what room is using the most and see what you have plugged in there.
 2nd of Jul, 2012 by   ShadowDweller 0 Votes
Xcel is the absolute WORST power company EVER since NSP ! They keep shutting off the power and coming up with lame excuses like a "reclosure" switch needs to be reset.. or "they need to put a new pole up", etc.. I have never dealt with a power company so awful in my entire life. You could fart on the power lines and the power goes out. We've had like 10-15 supposed power outages in 6 months. This is weakest power company ever. Personally, I think they're pulling some sort of financial scam. Their activity is very fishy.
 8th of Aug, 2012 by   EMinneapolis 0 Votes
Couldn't agree more! People drop their jaws when they hear how much our energy bills are. From day one they have been high. When we first moved into our apartment, we received a bill for 4 days of electric use. It was over $30! The crazy thing was, all we had done was move boxes in during those first 4 days, we didn't even stay at the apartment while we were moving in. The A/C was off, we never used an appliance or even turned on a light switch once during those 4 days! When I called customer service to dispute the bill, they told me there's no way they could have been wrong, and that we somehow were using 40+ kilowatt hours PER DAY! Which is impossible. Unfortunately, the bills are even higher when you throw in 30 days of service. Pretty bogus.
 13th of Apr, 2013 by   Kemps 0 Votes
The scream they cry and still they keep coming back. You do have a choice and you really never considered it. Shut of all electrical power usage. Read a book by candle light, wear a sweater and stop touching yourself down there in public places. You'll find more friends if you did. Also please wash your hands with soap because the crap your squeezing on your hands really does not remove the cooties like soap does.
 21st of Aug, 2013 by   azzz 0 Votes
Something is very wrong here ! Something needs to be done ! I do live in a nice sized house and expect an average bill, but ... My bill is never goes under 100.00 a month .( and I've been very conservative on using the AC) I"ve been paying more now over the last few year's then I did 6 years ago when I had four extra people living in my home . I feel violated . Once again it's the bigger businesses(government) getting bigger . I just love how companies say, We will work with you, but do absolutely nothing to rectify any situation . I really hope there not in for another pay increase or we will all be living in the dark ! ( except for the rich I suppose )

Legal Strategies How to Deal with Collections