logo

2. (39 mins ago)
Employment
FALSE ADVERTISING
3. (50 mins ago)
Thian boon jie design and contractor
Full of lies
4. (54 mins ago)
SapphireMembers.com
Bad experience
5. (54 mins ago)
forevermetals.com
Bad quality rings and slow delivery

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted: 2011-09-14 by    GLoria Baker

discrimination

Wounded Warrior Family Support
woundedwarriorhospitalfund.org
Overall I fee l this is a good and worth while organization. I am concerned about the way they choose who qualifies for there organization. There mission taken from their website is as follows:

Qualified beneficiaries are the dependent families of those who, while serving in the U.S. Army, Marine Corps, Navy, or Air Force, have been wounded, injured or killed while engaged in direct combat operations as defined by the Department of Defense. Wounded Warriors Family Support is a family oriented program.

In order to qualify, service members must have dependent children. Widows with dependent children of those killed in action or died of wounds are also eligible.

On there facebook page they have asked for individual to share their stories on how war has affected them. Stating that there is a lot of support for physical injuries but not as much for psychological and spirtual issues. Based on this information I applied for their services. My husband Msgt Kyle Baker died on 12/19/2010. Cause of death was suicide secondary to PTSD after serving for in Afghanistan. This statement has been determined by the VA to be true. They have stated that my husband's death is a service related death. Initially, after submitting the application Kate, from Wounded Warriors Family support, told me that I qualified. I also was in contact with Michael Barclay from the organizations and he told me on facebook that their organization was geared to support individuals such as myself and my children. Both Kate and Mr. Barclay later told me that I do not qualify without further explanation.
I want to make it clear that I do not desire to have any of the benefits that this organization provides. I have two concerns. The first is that this organizations is taking donations on the pretense that they support individuals and their families who have spiritual and psychological issues from war. If this is true my 2nd concern is that they have discrimated against me and my children because of my husband's suicide. What I believe is true is that they do support individuals and family member with spiritual and psychological traumas from war, but they do not want to be associated with the fact that spiritual and psychological injuries from war sometimes result in suicide. As a recent survivor of suicide it was really difficult for me to reach out for support. When I was told that we did not qualify without the reason that we did not it was devasting. Not because we wouldn't recieve benefits from them, but because it felt like they were saying that my husbands struggle with PTSD and resulting death was not a valid war injury. I do not want anyone else to go through that. I am requesting that the organization make clear there mission. If it does include individuals who suffer from PTSD and their families I want them to acknowlege why we were not accepted. Like I said I believe that they do not want to be associated with the fact that war trauma can result in suicide. Dening this fact does not help anyone.
Comments United States Non-profit Organizations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Sep, 2012 by   carey cabala 0 Votes
This is wrong and it needs to be changed.

Dental Insurance: Should You Bite?

Latest Groups