logo

Posted:    Dixon

Awful fraud

WorldWinner
worldwinner.com
I know part of this is my fault for being so stupid but I lost a total of $43, 141.00 in money last year. The worst part is I have to claim $21, 697.00 in other income because they file a 1099 Misc income form to the IRS. This site is a total rip-off. It should be classified as gambling. When you lose they are so quick to send you an email or something else on your page and say something to the effect 'sorry you didn't win but get back in there and try again.' I could go for several days and do nothing but win, win, win. Then when they have you hooked for a bit you start going for the bigger prizes and sure enough you lose all of it. Then you try to regain some of your losses only to repeat the cycle over and over. I could go on and on but you get the point I'm sure.
Comments United States Gambling Games
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Apr, 2009 by   Anonymous +2 Votes
yes i agree...though i havent lost quite that much money.It is a ripoff and there are soo many names which are not real life players.all the games are fixed or someone is cheating at them...getting some truly unbelievable high scores.
 10th of May, 2009 by   anonymous +1 Votes
Uh why did you keep playing if you were losing that much? Moron.
 6th of Jun, 2009 by   Annonymous +1 Votes
I think you might be right about them using "fake" players. They definitely let you win at first (like when you first make a deposit, it seems like I almost always won the first game or two -- even with lower than average scores). But then after that it's one loss after another. And I agree about the high scores. Some of them are just ridiculous. I have been a gamer for awhile now and know there are some games I am fairly good at. But then you go on worldwinner and people are almost doubling that score. I'm sorry you lost that money. Hopefully you aren't gambling anymore. I can understand how it is addicting though. Too bad it's not even as "fair" as Vegas.
 9th of Jun, 2009 by   voxleo +1 Votes
There is some consensus among the makers of games that cheating is actually expected, but as long as the general public is unaware of this they can still make their pound of flesh as long as they get their percentage of the entry fees from people who believe that they are actually able to detect and prevent cheats. I was one of these myself, though I should have known better; didn't invest much, less than $50 all told, but I still feel a bit victimized since I trusted that it was an honest game and thought if I worked at it I could get good enough to win a little. I didn't get wise until I had "qualified" for the tournament cash games (by playing a certain number of limited entry cash games) which I was eager to try since the entry fee to payout ratio was much higher than the one on one competitions. Here they have to display more than just your direct competitors scores, and I was seeing scores that didn't seem humanly possible to me in a three minute game.

After researching tips and help, I saw videos of the games in action, meaning that some actual people and not bots were accomplishing this, but I still didn't see how it was possible to play that FAST. I just assumed I was out of my league and that they were some kind of savant or something, but recently have discovered that it is possible to stop the clock on some games by interfering with the process in the CPU by hacking the memory or using a tool to do so, essentially giving them the time to make the moves at their leisure whilst I'm trying to beat the clock.

Also, particularly with Worldwinner, I have realized that multiplayer competitions are also not fair since the players are not necessarily playing the same puzzles, and the "skill matching" system is anything but matched. I was in skill division 2 (never having seen the supposed division 3) until I scored high enough to earn a prize when (shock and wonder!) THAT play coincidentally bumped me to the next skill division where the score was no longer in the payable standings. It was at that point that I called bullshit and just quit.

I still play for fun to beat my own scores and if there are reward points or something, but no more cash is coming out of my pocket since it isn't an even playing field, and am doing my part to spread the word that they are at least guilty of misrepresentation if not worse. At least in Vegas they admit that the odds favor the house, but these folks are claiming that its secure "skill based" gaming. Actually I guess it is - if the skill in question is the ability to alter the game rather than play it.
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   hamhawk -1 Votes
i think your full of shit and its a case of sour grapes...ww is fair, i been playing there four years, id know if it wasn't by now!
 4th of Jul, 2009 by   312Annon +1 Votes
Dear hamhawk:
Perhaps you should spend less time on WW and more time learning spelling/grammar.
 29th of Jul, 2009 by   rgabiola 0 Votes
I have been playing at worldwinner and they closed my account, i didnt receive my 30 dollar winnings! Worldwinner should close down!
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   Shannon36535 0 Votes
Personally Ive never had a problem at worldwinner .

I was smart enough to read the fine print and know I have to file taxes on my winnings/losses. I know the occasional game is going to have an error connecting ... its to be expected as with any other site. If they closed your account, odds are you are the cheater or they cant confirm your account or address. . Plus I love the fact that I signed up at sendearnings.com first so I get some of that money back that I pay in to play.

Sounds like some whiny folks to me!
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   intheknow2so 0 Votes
Here's a funny thought...You few people who posted on here, saying you see no issues with worldwinner, wow! Could it be it's beause you're one the the elitist?The site caters to you and you know it.Without you they couldn't make their claims about how easy it is to make big bucks.You're their bait to lure the sucker fish in. It wouldn't shock me to later find out worldwinner stacked the odds in your favor, or againts the poor naive noob. Some ppl may not think worldwinner makes money off you, but you're their best advertisemant, and the depositing noob is what keeps you and worldwinner going strong. The fairmatching there is bullshit and you know it.You don't want it to change because then your payday would suffer.It's funny, I went to worldwinner a while ago to find out what they claim is their formula for fair matching.They used to have an explanation defining it as 'sophisticated use of algorithms'. I revisited the site again and found that definition no longer there.Why is this? Trying to cover their ass for some reason? Yes I am a dumb sucker who erroneously thought I could make something there and have fun. Both of those ideals never came to fruition, Make money?pshhh! Have fun?double pshhh! It's not fun when you're unfairly placed in games with ppl who ALWAYS win their daily games. I forgot to mention and allow me to lock my caps on this final comment...THEY HAVE RAMPANT CHEATING, CHEATERS, PPL WHO ADMIT ON OTHER FORUMS THAT THEY HAVE PERSONALY USED BOTS, SPEED SLOWING ADD ONS AND SOFTWARE.
EARLIER THIS YEAR, ONLY AFTER BEING PUMMELED BY PLAYERS TO DO SOMETHING, WORLDWINNER, ONLY AFTER KNOWINGLY ALLOWING THEM TO CHEAT FOR MONTHS, FINALLY EXPELLED THE KNOWN CHEATERS ALTHOUGH THEY NEVER ADMITTED OR STATED WHY THOSE PLAYERS SUDDENLY VANISHED.EEEENNNNOOOUUUGGGHHH SSAAAIIIDD !!!
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   intheknow2so 0 Votes
Let me make a correction on my last pot. There is an explanation on their site for their formula for so called fair matching.

"The goal of our FairMatching System is to provide each player with opponents of an equal skill level in a timely fashion. Using a sophisticated set of algorithms, the FMS continually monitors game scores, win/loss ratios, recent and overall player performance, as well as many other factors. The FMS uses this information to provide each player with the closest possible match from the pool of available opponents.

Please note that matching is always conducted before you play your game, never after. We only use past data (not your current score) to determine in which tournament you should play".

Complete rubbish!
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   Jstme60 0 Votes
I signed up for WW thru Inbox dollars but never made a deposit, thank goodness. I think I will refer my rewards sites to this one so they can see how their users are being cheated. Hopefully they will drop Worldwinner and some people will be saved from the cheaters.
 5th of Sep, 2009 by   bcitybabe +1 Votes
I am trying to start a class action lawsuit against World Winner. I you want to post you problems to my message forum in www.classactionforum.com, maybe if we have enough people, a class action can be started. I have tried the BBB but they were of no help. World Winner just lied and the BBB bought it.
 8th of Sep, 2009 by   voxleo 0 Votes
I think there is also something hinkey with their Paypal setup - When topping up my account I am prompted to enter my CC info (supposedly to confirm my address). Isn't the entire point of PP NOT to have to do this? And my address is already confirmed there. WW gave me a brush off "we are investigating this matter..." email when I inquired about this and I have not heard anything since.

Interesting too, if you do use a CC to add funds, you are then UNABLE to delete the stored info as long as you have any balance at all. And this means that you can add funds in as litte as 2 clicks with your WW password. Even Paypal will require a new page and new login and at least 4 or 5 click-thrus to confirm the charge, which gives me just enough time to put that "try just one more time" impulse at bay. I had to withdraw my 11 cents credit to save myself spending a fortune $10 or $20 dollars at a time!

AND they use fuzzy math - if you play in a limited entry tournament and get the high score at any point after one score is posted it will trigger the "win it now" option to buy out the remaining spots with a message that states what the cost will be and what the winning take will end up, but they never include the entry fee of the game that you have just played to get that score- consequently if you don't read carefully you could end up with a "win" that ends up costing you money! See the breakdown of this posted here: http://www.cashgamers.net/forums/players-square/1099-win-now-misleading-mathmatics.html
 31st of Oct, 2009 by   nova0122 0 Votes
I've been worldwinner member since 2007. I chose not to fill out the W9 form so I don't have to deal with IRS/tax on my winnings. So, they withhold 28% of my winning. but guess what, I just received a letter from the IRS saying that I owe them money for the income that I got in 2007 from worldwinner! I'm filing a complain to Worldwinner right now because:
1. what's the point of having my winning withheld when I have to deal with IRS
2. who got my withheld money if irs still thinks that i owe them money?
3. where did worldwinner get my ssn to report to the irs???? i've never submitted my ssn to them?
nardi
 4th of Nov, 2009 by   formerwwgamer 0 Votes
In the World Winner business plan (and this is confirmed by WW) they keep money from cheaters rather than redistributing it to the rightful winners. This creates a situation where WW benefits from people cheating and not calling them on it right away. They can wait until a cheater places tops in a big touney where payouts are very high. Then ban the cheater and pocket the profits.

this is completely unethical as a business practice.

Players at ww will confirm that when a cheater is reported that it takes weeks and weeks for ww to actually do anything about it.

WW can also wait until a suspected cheater has a large sum of money in their account and then ban them. When they do this ww has given themselves the right to keep the loot.
 4th of Dec, 2009 by   Kerriella +1 Votes
I am so tired of world winner. At first I thought it was a lot of fun but then I started to realize I wasn't getting all of my payouts so I started paying attention to the games I won but didn't get paid for and sent them emails about it. NO RESPONSE. Then I started only getting paid out 1 out of every 3-5 games I won. Sent another email. NO RESPONSE. I am done with WW and would advise others not to go there.
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   Marcella McFadden 0 Votes
I live in Florida and just recently was allowed to play in limited cash games on worldwinner.com. I played the free games for years and was always pretty good at Scrabble Cubes. So I signed up and deposited 10 bucks and won 5 bucks the first night in the 75 cent tournaments and came in 1rst place the second night and won 11 bucks-Had to spend 75 cents over and over the first night and lost over 5 bucks and won on the first try the second night. Third night I noticed that 9 people had scores over 700, some almost 800. Now that seems to be going on all the time and I can't win a dime. When I played the free games I usually always won against the other person. Like a fool, I got so pissed off the 3rd night that I lost all my winnings trying to beat those 9 people and went in the hole another 40 bucks. WW said that I had to play 30 cash games to qualify for the bigger tournaments. It's like a damn slot machine-deposit over and over each time you play. I assumed the site was legit since it has been online for years and advertised on GSN and even Vanna White has pitched it awhile back. I am not depositing any more money. I wonder why there is no site that has a MONTHLY fee for skill games where you can play for points that can get you into cash tournaments. The poker sites have it like pureplay.com, clubswpt.com, spadeclub.com and on and on. All you do there is give them 19.95 a month and you can have unlimited play. Trouble with that is that it is practically impossible to win decent bucks there-The big money tournaments have about 5 thousand people in on clubwpt and the payout is only up to 250 people and you only start with 1000 points. Most of poker is luck. I am not a lucky person when it comes to life. I wonder how some of these sites can stay in business so long and not get closed down. I also wonder why nobody has started a skill site besides poker with a monthly fee. It took me only 15 minutes to lose 20 bucks on this site. A total bummer.
 6th of Feb, 2010 by   Zardoz37 +1 Votes
There has to be something fishy going on at WW if there are so many posts from people who have had questionable experiences. I agree. I have been playing for a while and admit I became addicted to the games. I would win some, lose more. Since I was allowing myself a certain amount to play, I considered it fun. But then I started to notice that there were ridiculously high scores in the free play games. There was even one Wheel of Fortune game where I figured out that even if I hit the 1000 point for every letter I chose correctly it would have been impossible for me to even come close to the top score in that game.

And then there's the bit about how they would take out the taxes so I wouldn't have to deal with the IRS and yet I too received a form telling me that I would have to bring it with me to my tax preparer??? I think we should all sign up for a class action law suit. Haven't we all had just about enough of this ? Most of us were just out to have some fun. I am so tired of the slime that oozes from everywhere these days...Wall Street, the banks, credit card companies. To paraphrase Howard Beale from the film Network, we should be mad as hell and not take it anymore!
 6th of Feb, 2010 by   formerwwgamer -1 Votes
just to clarify, Just because ww withholds taxes does not excuse you from reporting them on your taxes. Your employer withholds too but you still have to file your taxes. all income must be included. ww may stink on many levels but this is not their rule it is the rules of the IRS and it says right on their site that you have to file your taxes. when ww withholds they report your income and send the withholdings with your name and address they have for you to the irs. buyer beware it's a bad deal at tax time. The IRS requires them to count your income as your winnings on any given tourney - the fee only for that game. You can play and lose a thousand games but the only thing the IRS cares about is your winnings minus the cost for getting into that particular game. when you file you can deduct your other losses and get a lot of that back. You also have to pay whatever tax rate for local and state governments. ww only withholds for federal taxes.

when we lived in ohio I had to pay a bundle to the state and a 2% straight local tax on my winnings. It did not matter that I actually lost money on the site because state and local in ohio does not allow you to deduct your losses.

I cut my losses a long time ago and closed my account with them.
 25th of Feb, 2010 by   gfinmn09 0 Votes
I found this tax law from IRS. It seems really, that you do not have to claim tax or income on this. As it says with the wager and win rule in this statement. Hope this helps.

The IRS form W2-G is issued to players and is also sent to the IRS by the casino for certain gambling winnings: (1) winnings of $600 or more from state lotteries, horse racing, dog racing or jai alai and other wagering transactions, if the winnings are at least 300 times the wager; (2) winnings of $1, 200 or more from bingo and slot machines; (3) winnings of $1, 500 or more from keno, less the amount of the tickets bought on the winning game; (4) winnings of $600 or more from horse racing, dog racing or jai alai, if the winnings are at least 300 times the wager.

Smart Phone App May Catch Thieves