Scam sweepstakes check!

8524 Hwy. 6 North #309 Houston
Houston, Texas
Phone: 905-598-5174
On NOV.25 2007 i received a check in the mail for 4,880.00 dollars with a letter saying i had won a sweepstakes with a 5,000,000.00 dollar cash prize to be shared with 20 winners in all out of 50,000 entry's, yeah buddy i was one of those 20 winners! Its christmas time i have two kids, my wife had a stroke 14 months ago and we are still waiting for her s.s disability and i am on s.s disability raising 2 teenagers a disable wife my 73 year old mother and myself!!! Well i read the sweepstakes letter and i call Waterhouse financial inc. I proceed to follow the directions and i give them my claim number, the guy on the other end says his name is bob morris and he confirms my claim number and tells me i am a confirmed winner of 250,000.00 dollars and to run right on down and deposit my first payment 4,880.00 dollars well hot dog i am excited my wifes all happy and the kids and my mom daddy has finally caught a break until we get to the bank and i get my bank mgr. to check it out, yep sure enough its a SCAM!!! Well that just put a big baa.humm.bugg in the season to be jolly well the family is disappointed and i am pretty well pissed at this point. Anyway what they were hoping at Waterhouse or so called is that you deposit their check for4,880.00 dollars and as soon as you do this you are to call them back with confirmation of the deposit then they want your routing# and your account# for your checking account, so they can send the rest of your money, NOT!!! Then they want a western union for the taxes due on your winnings. So you end up getting scammed for 2,985.00dollars and in 3 to 10 days you find out the 4,880.00 dollar check has bounced or the funds taken back out of your account!!! THEY ARE THE GRINCH THAT STEALS CHRISTMAS!!!
Complaint comments Comments (19) Complaint country United States Complaint category Lottery Scams
Was the above complaint useful?

28th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
I just got my too good to be true check. Best one yet next to my south African scam earlier this year tried on me for a million. Just adds to my growing hatred and mistrust towards the human race. It really is sad for myself that I now look at people this way. Ask any animal how they feel if they could speak about most humans. It would be some sad story there as well. Good luck!
 29th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Waterhouse Financial Inc. - I receive a check
8333 Douglas, Suite 1500
Phone: 901-598-5173

They sent me a check and said that I had won 250,000.00, the check was for 4,880.00. They wanted me to call them so I did and a man name Bob Morris told me that I had won this money because I comform the claim number and that I could cash the check but $2,985.00 dollars was for the taxes. Then he told me to deposit the money into my bank account and call him back. I took the check to the bank where the check was issured which was the same bank that I bank with I ask the lady at the bank was the check good she look at the check and told me that the check was good so I deposit the money and I took the balance and paid some bills that I was behind in. I was telling two of my friend and my cousin about it and they told me to check this this out with google but I had aready spent half of the money when they told me to check google out I got off the phone and went to google and learn that this was a scam. I really thought that this was true after the lady at the bank told me that the check was good. Now I don't know what to do I don't have any money to pay anyone back I am on disability. I really thought I won because I am always enter into sweepstakes and I thought my luck had paid off.
 29th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
I just got my second scam check in one week. First check for $4990 to be a secret shopper. Second check for $4880 from Waterhouse Inc stating that I won some contest along with 20 other contestant. Each winner get a sum of $250,000. Who's putting sending these checks out to people, and how do they know my full name, address and such? I believe our own government sponsor this and push people that are already in financial burden as like myself.
 30th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes
tanks for the heads up i just got one today and first thing i did was find your e-message aka blog and good looking out so other nice folks are spared and warnned peace out bro.
 5th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
i am a long hair chihuahua breeder. i had a guy from las vegas see my puppy on the internet and called over a relay phone. i gave him my info to western union me the payment . a week later i recieve a cashiers check for $2950 for a $450 puppy. i emailed him back about the amount and he stated that it was for the pick up, air fare, and delivery for the puppy and a bmw to the united kingdom. i shopped around for shipping info, and relaid it to him telling him i think he is being scammed. he emails back that money is not a problem for him, and this is his personal company . i 'm not stupid , just a teacher so i got on the net and checked out the bank, it was legit. since it was a cashiers check, i checked with intergrated services ( western union co) and any cahiers check starting with 666 is counterfiet. i could not believe the nerve of someone stupping this low and using an innocent pet.
 7th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
Yeah our check arrived today. Funny thing is that they sent it first to my husbands ex-wife who mailed it on to us. I too am disabled and I wonder how they are getting a listing of disabled people. We are always way too short on money. It seems that there should be a way to stop this. Other than just throw it in the trash. But do not see how the police are able to do a thing about it since we will not deposit the check. Any ideas?
 8th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I received the check from Waterhouse Financial Inc., stating all the things mentioned above, I was immediately suspicious, so I call Lora Jones back and started asking more and more questions, she was very agitated and told me she was speaking to her supervisor on the other line and to call back on Monday. I found it very odd of her behavior, so I goggled it and YUP, sure enough, something too good to be true, is usually to good to be true. If I knew who was behind this scheme, I would run them over with a car, and all their employees alike. I think it is terrible for people to steal, especially at a time like this, when a lot of people are going thru hard times! PROCUCUTE TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, OR LET ME RUN THEM OVER WITH A CAR! AND FLATTEN THEM LIKE A PANCAKE, LIKE THE CARTOONS.
 9th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
My father received the letter about two weeks ago, my father is legally blind and on disability so he became very happy. He started planning with the money. We went to check cashing place and they told us that they couldn't cash it because it was a fraudulent check. So he became mad and very cautious so he had me google the name of the company and sure enough from the negative feedback. We avoided being scammed thanks.
 10th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

Waterhouse Financial Inc. - Fraudulent sweepstakes and check!
Waterhouse Financial Inc. International Claim Dept
101 King St.
Phone: 1-905-598-0959

My husband received this letter including a check for 4880.00. The letter stated he had won a portion of a $5 million US dollar sweepstakes. He was one of 50,ooo people chosen. The prize amount was $250,000.00. I just called the bank on which the check was drawn and found out the the whole thing is a scam! When my husband called the phone number as instructed in the letter Mr. Bob Morris told him to deposit the check into our account, and to call him back. Thank God we didn't do it.We found out through some personal investigation that if we had this person would have wiped out our entire checking account. We are on a tight budget so there is never that much in there. But we would have been responsible for the entire amount of the $4880.00 and that would have financially ruined us. To all who receive this letter please please call your state and federal Attorney Generals' offices and report this matter. Don't fall victim to these people.
 10th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
Hi ,,,
I got a mail from ECOWAS state that i won the ECOWAS donation award , i am glad to know that it is true and what have to do for further . Details are givn below for announcing WINNER of ECOWAS ...

------------------ Message from ECOWAS----------------

Dear Winner,

We happily announce to you the ECOWAS -
(Economic Community of West African States Organization)
WORLD DONATION AWARD.Your e-mail address was selected as
one of our winner in our yearly give away donation, This means that
you have been awarded the total sum of $2,000,000.00 credited to my mail id.

To file for your claim, please contact ECOWAS Headquarters secretary.
Nigerian secretary representative office
West Africa Claims Unit
Contact Person: Mr MIKE OSAMEDE
Full Name, Age,Present Country, Nationality, Sex, Contact Address,
Occupation, Company Name, Tell No.

Yours faithfully,
MR Johnson Ikpebo
Online co-ordinator for ECOWAS WORLD DONATION
 18th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

Waterhouse Financial Inc. - Winnings scam!
Waterhouse Financial Inc
101 King St
Phone: 1-416-893-5001

Received a check for $4,880.00 saying we had one $250,000.00 but to send them a check in the amount$2,985.00 to pay the taxes. I am sure if we did this the check for $4,880.00 would be no good and our bank account would be plundered of every last cent. I have read of other complaints on this company. Something really needs to be done to avoid the unknowing and elders of our country being taken in such a despicable manner.
 18th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
just got my "check". you know something is wrong when they don't spell your husband's name right and forget your apt #. what a scam.

Thanks for the heads up.
 20th of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I received the same check so how can this company get away with this I weill be notifying the Better Business Bureau take your check and shove it.
 12th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
Yea, I figured something was fishy. Here are some reasons why. The envelope had no from address on it. This is a big sign of a scam. What kind of company doesn't want you to know where it was from? Next the postage stamp is Canadian. It even has www.canadapost.ca and www.postcanada.ca on it.

Then I opened the letter. It has no logo or letterhead; nothing that says "I am a real company". The letter says "WINNING FINAL NOTIFICATION" as if I have gotten previous notices. Then it starts with "Sir/Madam". This let's me know that they are printing thousands of these letters and have no time to personalize them with my real name. I mean they should be able to do this if there are really only "20 other declared winners", right?

At first glance the check really does look real. I might have cashed it if I didn't notice all the other things. But after a closer look, I noticed some flaws on the check too. The name of company is different (Waterhouse Inc instead of Waterhouse Financial Inc.). The address has 8333 Douglas, Suite 1500, Dallas TX 75225. Douglas what? St.? Ave.? It doesn't say. Plus, if this company is in Texas why is the letter coming from Canada??

Finally the signature on the "check" is totally illegible.

Keep these tips in mind when you read your mail. :)
 31st of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
 15th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
Even i got this kind of a mail. I thought of ignoring it. But then i thought, i get such mails all the time. So i googles search for ECOWAS. I was glad that ECOWAS not fake. I began to write my email. But then i thot let me google search for the guy who mailed me-

Contact Person: Mr MIKE OSAMEDE
Email: mrmikeosamede11@aim.com
Tell: +2348073600757

so when i searched for mike, this page was on the top. i clicked on it and read all this. This is utter crap !!
n wen i report it as spam... it is such a waste !! i continue to get such mails in my inbox- :-|

its always wise to remember- how can u win something- wen u never did anything-
u will only get cheese for free in a rats trap-
get caught ! or ignore it !
 1st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
i got this letter yesterday. i got a check for $4, 990.00 and i was supposed to takes it to walmart and be a secret shopper and wester union all but a hundred dollars to 5 diffrent people. then i was supposed to keep the hundred for myself. any the letter is from canada with no return address. the check is from texas. and the header of the letter states its company is from brooklyn newyork. it gave me a few chuckles before i burnt it.

i hope this helps other people from being scamed.
 28th of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
I don't get it...if you can deposit the check, why not go to the issuing bank (in my case the 'check' is from Wells Fargo, there isn't one in my town but one near by that I do not bank with)...and CASH it??
 11th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
My Mom got a check in the mail. She was overly excited she talked to a man and he asked her to deposit the check into her bank account. Luckily, I was with her when she called then I asked to see the paper. I knew it was a scam but she didn't believe me so when I got home I googled the website. Sure enough it was a scam and other people posted their comments about the fradulent checks. Thanks google for preventing my mother from making a BIG MISTAKE !!!.

Contact Us