logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Carports.com
Do not deal with these people
2. (9 mins ago)
Dillards
Mistreatment of employees
3. (20 mins ago)
TroysFlorist.com
They have never made a delivery
4. (20 mins ago)
Indeed.com
This website shouldn't even be online, they are a scam job website
5. (23 mins ago)
Windsor Blue Superkings
now only 19 cigaretts in a pack instead of 20 why?

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Valerie

Scam charges

Waste Management
wm.com
Waste Management bills consumers in my city in quarterly installments. If you, the consumer, do not receive your bill for any reason, do not pay it within the first 4 weeks of receiving the invoice(it is mailed @3 weeks prior to the start of the new quarter), or do not pay the full amount, whether by intent or accident, the company WILL still pick up your refuse BUT will put your account on "suspension" and charge you, the consumer a $35 re-instatement fee.

Sounds fine, because most companies providing a service can and do charge reconnect fees. In the case of Waste Management, the do not ever inform you in any way whatsoever on your original invoice that there is a reconnect fee if they suspend service for non-payment, nor do they mail out late notices. They DO NOT notify the consumer in writing prior to imposing this fee.

You have to pay the fee or they will halt service. And you, their consumer, have no recourse.

In my case, my city has an ordinance requiring it's citizens to have trash service. And the city has a contract with Waste Management. As a result, if I refuse to pay a bill, not only am I charged a fee for reconnect from Waste Management, but I could be found to be in non-compliance of city code/ordinance and can be fined by the city up to $125. Waste Management knows this, so they charge whatever they want, and then you are forced to pay, one way or another.

I would like to know if others have had similar billing problems/issues with Waste Management, or if you have been charged a fee like this by Waste Management without any notice prior to the charge. Please send an email to: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Please include your contact information so that we may get more information in the future if you'd like to share. Attach copies of any correspondence you have had with the company that may be relevant.
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Oct, 2008 by   Mea Cadwell 0 Votes
I worked for Waste Management for 6 years when they fired me because of a back injury. (That's another story entirely!!) I haven't worked for that company for about 4 years now (thank God!) so am not sure what types of new bills they have implemented.

But, I can tell you this...WMI is in it only for the money. They don't care about their customers or their employees.

They do bill residential accounts in quarterly increments and each quarter you will find your bill has gone up slightly (that is if you don't have a contract). In a year's time you could easily pay several dollars more per bill than what you were originally asked to pay. If you don't scrutinize your bills you may not even notice this. And we were told in customer service that we weren't to remove the extra amounts unless the customer called in to complain about it.

Back then WMI did send out notices when an account was past due (I sent these out myself so know it happened...at least in our district), again, am not sure what they do, or don't do now.

I hope you can find some reliable people in your area that have had the same thing happen to them. Then contact your town's mayor or even the state's attorney about this.

Waste Management needs to learn that people are people, not walking/talking wallets.
 29th of Dec, 2008 by   Scott Taylor 0 Votes
As someone who just started service (for Taylor Products Corp. in Cleveland) I have to say information from their customer service dept has been grossly inaccurate so far. Smiley voices; garbage customer service.

Scott Taylor
 12th of Feb, 2009 by   TMJRecordings 0 Votes
WM is CRAP!!! I moved in to my house 2 years ago and the person that lived there before me paid the next bill. So I figured that WM would either stop picking up my garbage or i would get something in the mail. But they didn't. They just picked it up for 2 years without being paid!!! Then they final noticed after I called and wondered what was going on and then they said they were going to back bill me!!! No freakin way. I never wanted to pay for them to do that. They are too much money. After i talked to like 6 people i was told i need to talk to Lisa, Yes Lisa and she would help me out. Well that was 2 months ago and i have called 8 times and asked to speak to Lisa, and every time i left a message and she never called me back. NOW they are threating to send us to a collection agency. All that to say, Go with someone else!!!
 8th of Apr, 2009 by   Mohan Sengodan 0 Votes
Agree. Without proper information, they cancelled my service and still took money from my auto pay. when asked, they asked 25 dollars for reconnection. They didnt mail me anything either in post or in e-mail. The coustomer service is ridiculous and dont have the patience tp explain to me properly. Such a atrocious behaviour. Yeah, go with someone elase...
 8th of Jul, 2009 by   g c 0 Votes
I just recieved a resume service fee on my bill of $25 and customer service wouldn't reverse it.. Their automated payment server didn't work one month and i was billed to start it again.. Im now in the process of filing my 3rd BBB complaint with them... Thats the only thing that works with satisfying the customer.. Also beware of the service contract the sales rep tells you it for only a year but its 3 years... not good... milwaukee
 1st of Aug, 2009 by   dissatisfied customer2 0 Votes
WM charges the $25.00 reinstatement fee, but they do not tell you this when you prepay and if you ask for a refund, they will tell you they do not do refunds. Pick another company to haul your garbage: Waste Management stinks more than the garbage they haul.
 18th of Aug, 2009 by   evilzilla 0 Votes
WHAT A WASTE should be their name. I have had no regular service in two weeks, they had the pick up dates wrong and I had to call each day to get them to come back out and get the trash. Customer service is no help, they have had over 10 calls in the two week time frame.
I'll just take the next batch and throw it on their front lawn and then call the city code enforcement they are located at and give them some of their own medicine. (I know the code officers) !!! next step, call their president and give em an ear full!
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   koyoko 0 Votes
I got trouble with them too. They overcharge me without any intention to refund. They even keep calling me to notify me pay the paid bill. Their billing system is complete a mess. I highly suspect they have relation with mafia or something that they can do such thing.
Even I paid the bill with a clear confirmation number, I still receive the same bill without any attemption for refund me the overcharge. And I get billing phone call three times a week. They are really like a loan shark
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   Bad rubbish 0 Votes
Same issues as all of you except for the fact that I paid the bill and the amount came out of my account then no pick up so I call and they tell me I still owe $14.02 more that they didn't get the whole amount. Double check with my bank and the whole amount did come out but they didn't post it all to my account and they can't explain where the $14.02 went so service was suspended. Trash has been in cans for 2 weeks (my neighbors have been really cool THANK GOD!) Call them and cancel my service get a confirmation number from them and also found a company that is 1/3 the cost of Waste Mismanagement! YES 1/3 I felt like a complete idiot when I found this company! Get a phone call today telling me that they are reinstating my service and just going to tack on the reconnect fee and the $14.02 I owe them. I tell the lady TANISHA that I canceled my service a week ago and give her the confirmation number and she tells me there is no record on my account so I tell her I want the account closed and we go through the whole thing again get another confirmation number and I tell her if she does not remove her property from my property withing the next 10 days I will be charging her storage fees! She said I was harassing her! So i figure OK going to pay the stupid $14.02 and get rid of them totally until she tells me it $8.00 frigging bucks to pay over the phone!! SO DID NOT DO THAT!! And for all the headache this company has caused meI decided to let my bank and them fight it out. They came and got their trash cans today so GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD BAD RUBBISH!!!
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   cclady 0 Votes
Just to let everyone know, I have decided to change their company name to SISSY MANAGEMENT/ Time Wasters inc.! I empathize with everyone of you. I used to have sissy management as a paying customer and I had numerous issues with crapy service and overcharges etc. I started using a different company. I currently live in a city where trash service is paid for in your water and sewar and taxes. Guess who has the contract for that! That's right, Sissy time wasters it is!
Ok here it is! We move into this house a few weeks ago. Last tennants leave big freaking trash pile at end of driveway. We try feeding it slowly into the weekly pickup. Week after week I watch the Sissy Tech, knock the pieces of trash from the pile out of and off of the trash cans, throw my cans to the ground and drive off. So last week we get a citation, so I call Sissy M TW inc. to inquire about a special pickup, and cost. Wow great news, we are entitled to 1 free bulk pickup per week. I describe to her exactly what is there and how much, she assures me its no problem I just cant put out anything over 4 feet. Great so I go outside with the flu and a nasty cough in the rain and work for three hours making a real neat and trim stack. Wednesday comes the trash truck arrives empties my cans knocks a bunch of stuff of the pile, no lets be honest, the jerk destroyed my pile and drove off. I call Sissy M customer abusers and get told that they couldn't pick up the wood planks because of nails and over four foot lengths and a messy pile! I explained all my hard work, there aren't any nails etc. Now i am further told I must bundle everything wow. We are talking about a pickup truck load of wood scraps and some drawers stuff I picked up and moved and did not injur myself on and I'm being lectured about the Sissy techs safety! Ha and I'm a girl, with a freaking cane and good grief he is a liar anyway. So on with it I was promised they would return by noon today! Bull! I called after two and was told by the end of the day and lectured that after all it is a free service and bla bla bla. Now I'm being told next week. Well thats fine. Great free service. The reinspection is Monday so I have to call a trash hauler anyway and if I had known this was gonna be such a hassle I would have just called a trash hauler. Do not know why I thought they would actually pick it up without a hassle! Wow Thanks for reading my vent! I feel a little better now!!!
 12th of Oct, 2010 by   andyburd28 0 Votes
Waste Management sent me to collections even though I was on auto-pay. They are terrible and I will never give them business with them again.
 27th of Jan, 2011 by   jes327 0 Votes
I have a residential-size dumpster at my house under a lease agreement with WM It's been over a year now and I've been ready more than once to tell WM to come get their f#$ dumpster! I've been tired of dealing with their b.s. invoices over the past year. My bill has been wrong more often than right and I've grown tired of it! I've had to watch my bill every month and it sucks. When you see their errors and complain-enough they throw you a bone over the phone. They're all pleasant like they did you a big favor. They tell you to pay a certain amount on the current invoice and that you'd see the credit on next month's bill. You pay the amount they mention then next month comes along and you see your invoice is still screwed-up. You see charges you don't understand and the credit they mentioned the previous month is no-where to be found. So you call them. They tell you any credit they give has to first be approved. You tell them the credit was approved last month. They put you on hold anyway. They get the approval once again, then come back and tell you to pay a certain amount and that you'd see the credit on next month's bill. My next month's bill will be screwed-up again, it wouldn't surprise me. What I think really goes on is that they hope you get tired of calling and just pay whatever.
 29th of Jan, 2011 by   usapvp 0 Votes
WM Oakland is very unprofessional and unfair. We've been paying 6 houses services but only had 4 houses delivery. It's been at least 6 months, which means we are over paying 2 houses extra for over 1 year! That is over $500 over charge w/o providing services! We called but manager refuse to refund and argue they'll pick up the trash bags, but the 2 houses tenants have been putting trash bags out but WM refused to pick them up. The 2 houses tenants also called in couple times demanding garbage bins last year but no answer. We request our full refund.
Secondly, Oakland won't give tenants green bins, tenants can't recycle. We requested last year several times but nobody cares. We decided to write to headquarter and see if this will get resolved. It's been such painful nightmares to argue with rude, unprofessional and inefficient employees from WM Oakland.

We used to order lots of commercial bins but switched to other companies. if WM don't take care problems now, WM will lose all clients eventually.
 21st of Apr, 2011 by   wmbillmonitor@hotmail.com 0 Votes
Please all of you contact me. I hate their service. One quarter there was no past due amount, January of 2011 I get a bill that charges the current due amount no problem on my credit card, but then all of a sudden there is a past due amount. Then a few weeks later the reinstatement fee. Nothing in the mail. The only reason I knew is because all of a sudden I was getting an email confirmation for over 120 dollars, bill normally around 90, and then I am being charged separately 38. Then again this month. Funny how all payments are going through without any change to my credit profile. I am calling tomorrow but from past experience it isn't going to be fun. I am going to get an audio recording this time. I setup an email in hope of getting responses to build a profile to fight back.
email me your concise story with how you could prove it. I can easily prove it by showing my invoices to a judge I would even post publicly by just removing my name, account, and address. Take pictures holding up your cell phone or the current days paper, get audio, and get invoices online as proof.
wmbillmonitor@hotmail.com
 8th of Sep, 2011 by   DevinB +1 Votes
WM is probably one of the worse companies to deal with. They will increase your monthly charges without any notice and they will renew your contract without your approval. That's not the only problem, I been trying to discontinue their service for more than a month but they won't call back and ever time you call the answer is same, some kind of manager or super wiser will call you. This lady, Teressa Watzka was working on my account and I think I left her more than 10 message with absolutely no call back. Then finally I had be on the phone with 3 different people before getting to her and she was so rude finally when I spoke to her. Now again I'm waiting for a call from this another manager, Daren. Let's see how this will go. Please go for one of the competitors. They are cheaper and MUCH better service.
 13th of May, 2012 by   WM sucks 0 Votes
They did NOT pick up our dumpster in the month of February 2012 - yet billed us for the entire month even after I called, emailed and wrote letters to WM.The billing system they use is set up to systematically keep increasing your rate while you are legally stuck in a contract with them. We started out at $147/month and now it is over $210/month!! The customer service is set up to give you the run around long enough that you just get frustrated and hang up or stop calling/emailing. We received no credit for no service in February and have never received a reasonable explanation for our numerous rate increases. The best response we ever got was when we tried to get out of our contract for THEM not fullfilling their duties - thats when we were immediately contacted about the legally binding noose.Buyer beware! If you use WM expect (know) that your rates will go up!!
 12th of Jun, 2012 by   jim333 0 Votes
WM is one of the worst scams I have encountered. This billing 'error' system that you read about everywhere is only the tip of the iceberg. There is nothing wrong with a late fee or even 'being in it for only the money, ' that is capitalism. But this company has a really unique billing system that they 'pretend' to not understand. I was charged the late fee, a finance charge and the reconnect fee (even though I sent my payment). so may be they didnt get it. But when I called and paid in full they agreed to waive the fees and only charge me the past due and current charges. Week later, I get a bill for another set of all three late charges, another disconnect notice. When I call in, they won't help. They say they can't access my previous payment. The customer service people are so bad it seems like they are trained 'collectors, ' who work for another company. The end result, I can't get anything resolved and their secret way of accounting/billing make it so that nobody (and I mean nobody) is immune from their secret fees. This company needs to be held accountable. Jim (cruise33@yahoo.com)
 13th of Jul, 2012 by   jc1290aa 0 Votes
I got hit by WM of resume service fee for $20 this statement cycle. They did call me once to remind my payment is past due. I never receive any invoice from WM. Only an email once every 3 months which did not state any amounts of invoice. I am calling my City Hall and Department of Consumers Affairs of California to complaint about WM.
 4th of Sep, 2012 by   Kickmeonce 0 Votes
Waste management sucks. I have been watching my bill go up every year for large amount and not really questioning it. Most recent bill was $125.00 for 3 months of curbside pick up. THis is included 30.00 dollars for fuel recovery charges. I was looking online at their site and found for my area that I could get curbside pickup for $17.00 dollars a month. I called and asked why I am being charged so much more that this . I was told this is only for people who sign up for service online. So me a loyal customer for many years has been paying 60 % more than everyone else. NOT ANY MORE, WHAT A SCAM !!!
 11th of Feb, 2013 by   EVE327 0 Votes
Waste Management sucks, There customer service is joke! Customer Service said that my trash was not picked up because the hydraulic arm tried to pick it up, but it weighs more than 250 lbs. Not true. The trash man was in a bad mood and he threw almost everybody on my block's bin sideways on the street. Workers at WM can do as they please. I knew a man who worked for them as a trash collector for at least 15 years, and he would have stories at least once a week when working for WM. This WM garbage collector who worked in various cities in LA, Las Vegas, NV, El Paso, TX and Albuquerque and Rio Rancho, NM, would love to tell stories of how he would throw half of people's trash on the floor whenever they called in and complained. And other times he would not pick up there trash because he wanted to give the customer's a hard time. I would ask him, "Won't you get reprimanded?" And he would respond "no" to me these people are funny, I like to mess with them and if when I arrive at the office, they ask me anything. I say I did not pick up the trash for various reasons (in policy)." And he would continue to laugh at these same customers he was giving a hard time to, especially the retired people who would come out and yell curse words at him. In other words, CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS ARE AMUSING TO THE TRASH MEN, this is there highlight of the day.

Tips How to Avoid and Report Consumer Fraud