logo

Jump Up Media
Cold Call Scam
5. (50 mins ago)
Booking.com
never give your credit card details to booking.com

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Warranty America/American Auto Shield Complaints & Reviews - Bad Service and bad Coverage

Warranty America/American Auto Shield Contacts & Informations

Warranty America/American Auto Shield

Posted:    rnvball

Bad Service and bad Coverage

Warranty America/American Auto Shield
I purchased a warranty from this company a few years back. The salepeople tell you one thing about the warranty to get youto purchase it. However, they DO NOT go into detail on what the warranty actually covers. I have used this warranty on numerous occassions, and each time the company comes up with a reason of why the part/service is not covered completely or not at all. I end up paying on the average $100 more than my deductible each and every time. Their claims department can do nothing but refer to the balck and white in the contract that you do not get a copy of until you buy it. Even then, what the claims department claims is covered and what is covered never seems to match up. This IS NOT the company to go with. My service manager has even said that they are the worst that he has ever dealt with. Take heed---do not buy this product!
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Feb, 2010 by   David thom -3 Votes
My name is David and i would like to say that not every company is good. But i purchased a warranty from this company they offered excellent service. To be very honest i would say this is the best company for warranties on car.
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   soufyan +1 Votes
you full
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   soufyan +1 Votes
StopRepairBills.com I feel completely RIPPED Off by this company!!! it is a SCAM!!..i purchased a policy over the phone. i was however mailed a diffrent policy then agrred upon. this went on for FOUR MONTHS WITH NO RESOLUTION!!! everytime i called up i was given the run around...right now i am fighting thses rip off artists via through my bank to somehow get some of my money back. This service is a complete waste of time and will only cost you more money in the end..like it did me. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CROOKS!!
 30th of Apr, 2010 by   Nancy567 +1 Votes
Why does it take so long to get a refund? You would think in today's day and age of technology a refund would be done quicker. Why do you have to wait 4-6 weeks? I could really use the money.
 6th of Jul, 2010 by   THE UN-CAPED CRUSADER +2 Votes
THESE BOZO'S RAN ME AROUND SO MUCH, I WOUND UP REPLACING THE PART MYSELF. AFTER 5 HOURS ON THE PHONE, I WANTED MY MONEY BACK FOR THE WARRANTY. MY CAR WAS DOWN FOR 4 DAYS AND THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME A RENTAL CAR. I EVEN BOUGHT A CAR BATTERY TO GET MY CAR HOME AND SAVED THEM THE TOWING COST. THEY WANTED TO INSTALL A JUNKYARD PART ON MY CAR THAT HAD SIMILAR USAGE IN RESPECT TO MY CARS MILEAGE. I WOULD NEVER BUY A WARRANTY THAT ALLOWS THE USE OF JUNKYARD PARTS !!! THE SALESPERSON IS NO LONGER EMPLOYED THERE, WHO SOLD ME THE CONTRACT, AND TOLD ME NEW PARTS WOULD BE USED IN ANY AND ALL REPAIRS... CONVENIENT. THEY WON'T EVEN PAY ME THE .5 HOURS IT TAKES TO DO THE REPAIR I DID. "AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD" WHICH WAS "WARRANTY AMERICA" WHO SELLS THEIR CONTRACTS THROUGH "CARCHEX" CAN ALL BLOW MY DOG FOR THEIR MISLEADING TACTICS. 5 HRS OF HEADACHES ON THE PHONE ( I GUESS THAT'S WHAT HASSLE-FREE MEANS ), I BOUGHT AND INSTALLED THE $200 PART, MY CAR WAS DOWN FOR 4 DAYS, NO RENTAL, I BOUGHT A BATTERY TO SAVE THEM A TOW CHARGE, AND WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE... THEY OFFER ME $73 DOLLARS... FORKING CORKSUCKERS !!! THEIR CUSTOMER RELATIONS ARE CRAP LIKE THEIR LAME EXCUSE FOR A WARRANTY. IF YOU DEAL WITH THESE CLOWNS, LUBE YOUR REAREND UP FOR A RUDE AWAKENING !!!
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   IGTG167 +2 Votes
David Thorn - is full of it...He must be a sales rep for this company!!!
I believe THE UN-CAPED CRUSADER'S story...why - because it happened to us - they bought a used part and sent it to the dealership making the auto repairs and didn't pay the hours needed to repair the car - mechanic needed 2 hsrs - they only paid 1/2 hr.
My last 2 claims were declined - transmission line - and exhaust system which - we have BUMPER TO BUMPER.
DO NOT BUY THIS WARRANTY -- SHARE THIS INFO WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS. AS THEY MAY BE LOOKING TO BUY A USED CAR AND GET SUCKED UP BY THIS SCAM ARTIST.
 4th of Nov, 2010 by   Paul Stratch -1 Votes
I am the CFO and Operations Manager for American Auto Shield. First if someone at the sales company (which isn't us) misled you about coverage, I agree that is an issue, but you need to take that up with them as they are a separate company. Second, it is not possible for claims coverage to "not match up". It's very simple - there is a contract. Something is either covered under the contract or it isn't. Most people that complain are complaining because they don't like the contract terms, but they get a copy of the contract and if they don't like the terms they can cancel at any time and receive a refund. The fact is most people don't review the terms then when they have a claim and the terms do not benefit them they want to complain. That is unfortunate. The fact is there is a contract and the terms must be upheld.
 14th of Dec, 2010 by   PhillyGuy123 +2 Votes
Your company should is an exmaple of exactly what has brought the USA down. Poor customer service. Misleading sales tactics. Inability to hanlde business in a reputable fashion. Inability to properly charge your customers. Response time in the event of an issue is unacceptable. For all extensive purposes, this warranty in my opinion is fraud. This company should be hit with criminal charges for theft by deception, unfair consumer practices, and mail fraud.
 24th of Dec, 2010 by   shopowner 0 Votes
I am a shop owner and feel the need to "educate" you all about car repair. When a labor study is done on a vehicle to determine how long it takes to do a the job its performed about 3-5 times and then averaged out. Two things here. First its done on a brand new car. Second after the tech has done it 3-5 consecutive times he gets very quick at it since he has found out exactly what tools and exactly what to to. An average is taken and that becomes the labor time.

Now about the repair in the "real world". Example: Your car comes in with an oil pan leak and a waterpump leak. Lets say that the exhaust system needs to be removed in order to replace the oil pan gasket and the bolts are rusted and seized on. The warranty company "will not" pay for the extra labor time, additional parts such as nuts, bolts, oxygen and acetelyn to heat the bolts to get them loose or even exhaust pipes should they not be reusable. Or the waterpump mounting bolts break off (seized in the threads) and you have to drill them the make a correct repair. This is all extra non-paid time and material by the warranty company.

Oh, and did I mention that most warranty companies don't pay for any diagnostic time to figure out the problem ( So the question is: why should my techs and I work for free--I would bet you don't work for free either where you work do you??). Plus the warranty does not pay for the time it takes to road test and double check the vehicle after the repair.
(I guess were expected to do that for free also??)

Guess what. This aint the warranty companys obligation and its not the repair shops obligation to repair the vehicle for the agreed "new car" labor time when its absolutely obvious it can't be done for that! It's your obligation to pay the repair shop what they truly deserve to fix the vehicle properly above and beyond what the warranty company will pay.

I am not talking about overcharging here. What I am talking about is repairing vehicles by using ASE Certified Master Journymen techs (Qualified), and getting paid for the "REAL COST" of fixing your!!! Any thing less than this is is rip off to the repair shop and anything more than this is fraud by the repair shop and they deserve to be prosocuted and put out business--Period!!

Now let me also say this. Any reputable repair shop is obligated to inform you before repairs are made that any additional non covered expenses will be on you. They should also be looking close enough at the vehicle during the diagnostic phase and tell you that the bolts, etc.. are going to be an issue and there will be an extra charge.

I take the time time to educate my clients about "real world" auto repair. I save all old parts and if need be will take pictures or video to document the repairs. I also invite them to come take a look at their vehicle and show them what and why before the repairs. I love show and tell.

In all the years of dealing with warranty companies none have ever paid more than the contract but have always and only covered their obligation. Most repair shops do not like dealing with warranty companies. It takes an ecxessive amount of time to get authorization and verification to complete the job. Usually 2-5 times as long and is seriously a pain in the ass!! But most will still deal with them.

I hope this real world repair education helps you the next time come across a situation about car repairs and warranties. Maybe take some time and think about it before posting something and making yourself look stupid. On the other hand if its a legit compaint (And please really know what your talking about first), then by all means, bitch on!!
 20th of Jan, 2011 by   mamalisa 0 Votes
So shop owner...do you recommend them (American Auto Shield) or not!! I received this warranty info in the mail and I am seriously thinking about buying this warranty...I Love my 4x4 Avalanche ...and I would love to drive this vehicle for at least another 5 years...Ive NEVER had any major trouble, keep my oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles, but it is a 4x4, with 125, 000 miles, and we pull boats and trailers with it, so my dilema...should I or shouldnt I purchase this warranty.. I would prefer to keep my 04 Lanche and not have another car payment also...remember Ive had no problems with this vehicle and Im sure things are gonna start going soon...I sure hope not, but Ive learnd to believe in Murphys Law...when you least expect it ...BAM...just dont want to have it happen when Ive purchased a warranty!!! Please advise
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   silentmajorityUSA +1 Votes
Nice try, Paul Stratch CFO of this company
If you are really the CFO of this company, you should be able to block your policy resellers from selling your insurance if they are bad. To blame your resellers of your product is beyond lame. Either that or you just lied about you being the the CFO.

Avoid like a plague.
 23rd of Mar, 2011 by   Paul Stratch -1 Votes
Yes, we COULD "block" any company from selling our contracts, and unlike some companies we do not just allow anyone to sell our contracts. Companies that sell our contracts go through background checks and must adhere to the same high ethical standards that we do. As I said, if someone was misled, that is an issue, but where is the proof of that? I can tell you almost (if not all) every sales call center records their calls now. It's really easy to find out if the sales company did something wrong. We would not "block" them based on someone's allegations alone. Even if they had a salesman that lied to someone, what if they fire that person? We wouldn't punish the call center for the actions of one individual. If there was a pattern of behavior that would be different. I can tell you from experience though that most people that complain will say anything (unfortunately) in an attempt to get what they want, whether it's true or not. It's not about "blaming" the resellers. We at AAS are interested in doing the RIGHT thing, and the right thing isn't ALWAYS doing everything the customer wants.
 7th of Apr, 2011 by   Michael Chapman +1 Votes
I am posting a comment because today, April 7, 2011, I received a call from American Auto Shield trying to sell a warranty. I informed the sales person that I need to check the company out, before I purchased anything, especially over the phone from someone that I did not call. It just so happened that I'm in the marker for a auto warranty, but with all the scams out there you have to be carefull. So I informed the sales person that I needed a couple hours to check out their company and that they could call back or I would call them back. To my surprise, I was told that I had to buy at that very moment or my "file" would be closed. Red Flag. So I told them to close the file and that I could not do business with a company that did not want to give the customer the opportunity to check them out. This company has the worst business practices I have ever seen.
 12th of May, 2011 by   ghmar +1 Votes
I have a claim in with them at this time. Three weeks ago my alernator went out. They have sent 2 junk yard alternators which were defective. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy!!
 23rd of May, 2011 by   MP@DD +1 Votes
I just received a letter in the mail that pertains to my Highlander. I actually thought that it had been sent by the local DMV. I am not comfortable being rushed into purchasing a warranty from a company whose mail correspondence is patently deceptive. The offer is that for an unnamed amount of money I can "extend warranty coverage." Prior to reading these entries I didn't realize that I am not in fact extending warranty coverage, but am in fact purchasing a separate policy. Thanks for your contributions
 11th of Jun, 2011 by   BigginstheBull +1 Votes
This company is a complete fraud. I had a policy with them and took my car in to get the tires rotated. Since this is maintenance, I knew beforehand it was not covered and this would be out of pocket. No big deal. During the rotation the technician noted that my front wheel hub bearings were loose and needed replacement. The dealership had two in stock that could be put onto the car that day. I looked in my contract and hub bearings were covered by my policy, so I gave the service manager my contract and he contacted AAS. Now there's trouble in River City. They did not authorize the repair, even though this is coming from a dealer with GM certified technicians. They would send out one of their "technicians" the next day to confirm the analysis. Fine, I'll drive an unsafe vehicle for another day. Dropped the car off the next day and the AAS tech agreed with the dealership tech, much to my surprise. HOWEVER, he did not authorize the repair using the parts the dealer had in stock, because as another poster noted they needed to bring in their own shit junkyard parts. This would require another day for them to be shipped and another day for the repair. This now places me without my only vehicle for four days. How many days would they reimburse a rental car? Zero, because the repair did not take a full day according to them. The dealer service manager told me that this was the worse extended warranty he's had to deal with. After this I requested a pro-rated refund for the remainder of the warranty. They sent me a paper saying that the amount of refund I was entitled to was -$400 because of other repairs that had taken place. Complete bullshit. I would never consider dealing with this company again.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   Eric Tam +1 Votes
This people are the worst type of scums, you're lucky that your only out a few days, I placed a claim with them for repair to a luxury German Vehicle, once they heard that the repair is $6000, they use every kind of tactics to aviod moving forward with the claim. They reacts only when someone contact them, never would they call me or the repair shop to follow up; the only time they called me about my claim is to suggest I take the cars somewhere else for repair; then they put all kinds of spins to delay the claim, even denying the certified Mechenics expertise and tells me that I needed parts that is not confirm . When I refuse and informed them that even the repair shop validate that other parts are not needed. Then they have the audacity to threaten to have my car tow to a dealer of their choice to make the repair and if I refuse, they'll deny the claim. They also told me that I am responsible for any charges that I incurred for bring it back to a certified mechenic at the dealership and its MY fault for choosing quality over what they want to pay. When I asked them if they considered me a customer, they come right out and admitted that they just manage the contract that I brought from someone else!!! In other words, I am NOT their customer. This after I've informed them that I they already took my money for the coverage, the Manager (Curtis) claims that HE didn't took my money and its not his problem. Forget about the rental, they said as long as the claim is not approve, no rental is authorized. When I told them that they're the one holding up the claim, he blamed all on the repair shop.
 23rd of Jun, 2011 by   Paul Stratch -2 Votes
So, again here are 2 more recent posts where basically if we don't pay EVERYTHING these customers want on their command then we are "frauds" or "scum"...? Nevermind whether or not these repairs meet the terms of the contract or not. The fact of the matter is no one likes to have their claims denied, and we do not like to deny them. However, we do have a contract here, and most people, like these few posting here, want us to recognize the contract when it benefits them but when it doesn't they resort to name calling or other ridiculous tactics. We have procedures that must be followed. We do not exist to pay every shop that wants paid, especially when many, MANY shops simply upsell the customer on every possible thing they can find, whether it's failed or not. That's an issue between the customer and the shop - our job is only to replace what is actually failed and what meets the contract terms, period.
 25th of Jun, 2011 by   kimmy1 +1 Votes
our shop took in a 2005 Nissan Maxima from a customer and the lady had paid $1, 900.00 for this warranty, the transmission was burned up in the vehicle, we called the warranty company and they were nice at first and gave us an authorization number to go ahead and take the transmission out and break it down and wait for the adjuster, the adjuster came today and was very kind and took photos of all parts and the vehicle and was very professional, owner of shop called company and got prices allowed for all replacement parts and oked the price of the rebuild, then we waited for the adjuster to fax all photos and information to the company, adjuster agreed transmission met warranty criteria for rebuild job, however as noted in the policy electronics were not covered and were responsibility of the owner to pay for, then there is a $100.00 deductible, all of that is reasonable, however when shop owner called the get authorization to go ahead with the job, company got rude and evasive and told shop owner here that they would pay nothing over the price of the policy, $1, 900.00 THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD US THAT IN THE BEGINNING! the parts cannot be purchased for that amount of money even. The poor customer will have to tow her car away because she cannot afford to fix the vehicle out of pocket and warranty company are a bunch of people TRYING any tactic to NOT pay for warranty repairs! Now we have wasted days talking on the phone, pricing parts, having parts shipped to parts company to be delivered quickly, breaking down transmission etc.. not to mention the rack being tied up for days in our shop, we could have been working on another vehicle during this time and we will not be reimbursed a dime! I would say RUN, RUN from these people!
 25th of Jun, 2011 by   BigginstheBull +2 Votes
So, again here we have Mr Stratch attempting to justify the disingenuous actions of American Auto Shield. If you read through my original post, you will see nothing mentioned about the total cost of the repair, most of which I paid for myself(>$800 including the deductible). That was not the issue I brought up at all. The issue I bring up is just how insanely miserable and infuriating it is dealing with your company. Because of your company I could not use my vehicle for four days and you cannot justify one days worth of rental expenses. How can you say that is right? You speak of contracts and that the contracts are followed, but that does not make your company's actions wholesome and genuine. Never in my life have I forced someone from their property without proper reimbursement, yet your company does it every day, and you hide behind the terms of the contract as if you are doing the right thing. Your company preys upon people, honest, hard working people like myself, and abuse the trust we place in you. You call my tactics "ridiculous, " however you wouldn't have so many complaints if your company worked for the best interests of its customers. I cannot stress more honestly and implicitly to anyone interested in this company to decline coverage from them and seek other options, period.

Beware Pawn Shops