Ethics policy violation. Employee assault, harassment, personal injury during the assault, wrongful termination and civil rights violations

6210 Annapolis Road
Landover Hills, Maryland
Phone: (301) 773-7848
September 22, 2008

To whom it may concern:

I was an employee at the walmart store located at 6210 annapolis road landover hills, md 20784 (301) 773 - 7848. As of september 20, 2008, i had been employed there for a total of fourteen and a half months.

The reason i am writing this letter is because i believe that the disrespectful behavior of staff toward employees and customers should be investigated. The store manager, emmanuel gilliam speaks to his staff in such a disrespectful way that shocked me to the core. I couldn’t believe it. As i searched the internet in an attempt to locate the walmart corporate information, i stumbled on many online reports of how walmart had treated some of their former managers, employees and customers. Much of that information can be found here: http: / / www. Complaintsboard.com / ?Search=walmart

Just recently i was terminated from walmart by manager, andrea lloyd just for asking a question during a meeting. After that i was assaulted by two employees right in front of her while she stood and did nothing. I have contacted the global ethics helpline at 1 - 800 - wm - ethic who are in the process of launching an investigation against her as well as the store for the following: ethics policy violation. Employee assault, harassment, personal injury during the assault, wrongful termination and civil rights violations. There are many other employees there who are afraid to speak up for themselves for fear of retaliation by miss lloyd as well as other higher ups.

I ask that you please let our surrounding communities know the type of mean spirited individuals who are disrespecting our children, sisters, mothers, brothers and fathers. Their claim is to help family and community, but they have done more harm than good. The only thing they've been doing is stealing money from the people in these communites. Former manager larry winick stole large sums of money from this same walmart store and was never prosecuted for his crime. Now every other local walmart store has received bonuses except for the one in landover hills. We don't know why because the employees are afraid to ask in fear of retaliation. I believe that enough is enough.

When it comes to walmart, customer service has now become a mythical entity.

Frederick a. Murphy
Complaint comments Comments (58) Complaint country United States Complaint category Bullying and Harassment at Work
Was the above complaint useful?

20th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes

Walmart - Not reliable

A lot of places will not take this card... Do not waste your money... then if you need to talk to them, no way unless you pay $2.00 each time... Whats this about? Is this the same Walmart that has great prices and services everyone in the world? Whatever... Just don't waste your time or money...
 13th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Walmart - No gift card after filling out survey after survey
North Carolina

I was told I would get a $2500 gift card if i filled our a survey. Turns out it took me forever. I never got anything.
 31st of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Walmart - BS charges
6302 Old Sylacauga Hwy
Phone: 2563915063

When you cash your check at walmart... and add money to your card... there is not supposed to be a charge... the last 4 times i loaded my card they charged almost 5$... and there is no way to talk to these people... to get your money back.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by    +1 Votes
your really stupid it say you COULD win $2500 for filling it out
 13th of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
Hi, sorry this happened to you. Were the police called? Was anyone charged? I'll keep in touch or...my e-mail is robertsalasiii@hotmail.com feel free!

Good luck, Robert
 8th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes

Walmart - moneycard visa prepaid card

i bought prepaid visa card and activate it, all was well until i put my check on it for the second time, i got rejected i don't know why, but now i hate it i am not buying another prepaid card again
 19th of Mar, 2009 by    +1 Votes
When you add money to your Wal-mart Visa card they are going to charge you 4-5 dollars, they are dirty money hungry dogs, I hate Wal-mart and I do not shop there. You would do better going to a bank setting up a checking account and get yourself a debit card.
 4th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Walmart - have not received any vouchers
tri city nissan
Johnson City

supposed to recieve vouchers for walmart we have done everything requested for 3 months and have yet to recieve one we got it at tri city nissan for $500.00 we are sending our receipts from walmart are we being scammed
 18th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I got a prepaid visa card and have not received it yet. Have not yet receive the card in 4 weeks now. Don't now how to contact the direct line to the visa debit.
 22nd of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I agree that Walmart needs to reassess their policies on respect and ethical treatment of their employees. A similar situation is occurring in the Manchester, Ct store. I do not work for Wal mart, however I do work management for another retailer that employs an associate who works for Walmart dayside and then part-time for our company. I am 100 percent sure (after hearing in great detail some age discrimination and race discrimination that is happening to her from upper management) that she is being harassed and treated unfairly.
No person should be treated in the manner that she has and Wal mart should reprimand, if not terminate the management that is doing this. The HR department should re evaluate their policies on ethical treatment of their associates immediately. As a retail manager, I am disgusted at the stories I hear about the Manchester, Ct store.
Shame on them.

Maria S. Anthis
 24th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
In my walmart the guy that works with me, his father is my store managers landlord, and yes, he gets by with anything. We are made to cut our time, i have been told that we can get fired for having overtime. We have secondary job codes, so if there are not enough hours for us in our own department, they can move us to be cashiers, they tell us that the front end score card means everything. A fellow associates secondary job code puts him working under his wife, his wife is a department manager. its real funny that they get the hours and the days off the want. Corporate just turned off all of the intercom systems, so if you have a lost child we can not call a code adam, if we have a fire we can not let anyone know to evacuate, we can not even page a customer.
 1st of Nov, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I would like to add that I feel your pain because I to was a walmart employee and was treated so poorly in that same matter managers feel as tho they can say or do whatever they like to there associates and its totally wrong..I was employed at the walmart here in Philadelphia PA store number 2141 and it is so currupted in there its crazy I worked overnights and was recently let go after 4yrs with the company because I refused to be a drone and I stood up for what was right..I was terminated by Asst Mgr Shannon Reilley which she was call on her phone by Asst Mgr Omar Overton to fire me which i think is totally unprofessional then after i was fired and he came to work the next day I heard from associates that he was bragging to them about firing me "bragging" totally unprofessional and to make matters worse I was fired on attendance and the first time I was coached was because I had called out for and emergency with my daughter the next night I brought in documentation and photos proving that it wasnt a hoax Omar Overton still coached me saying it was protocal then almost a week later I had a servere nose bleed due to having high blood pressure I was bleeding on the floor while working and had to sit down because i was feeling dizzy and faint and the other associates seen this and called Asst Mgr Shannon to come evaluate the situation which took her 20mins to do so but being the trooper that I am and not wanting to get coached again i went back to work right after that but the next day I felt really sick so I called out and the day after that I was coached again not even a week apart in which there not suppose to do but they get away with it anyway...I have heard Omar Overton say degrating things about other associates and racist things also like he once told me "dont let these white motherfuckers get over on you" and he even went to the links of calling another associate that he asked to help me his "white slave" which he did 3 seperate times and i confronted him on it and told him he better never say that to me again I wanted to go above his head and get him out of there for all the wrong doings he was commiting but i know they wouldnt get rid of him and I worried that he would retaliate against me which he has done to other associates in the past...I to will be calling ethics on Monday morning but i refuse to work at walmart ever again until they fix these terrible problems cause face it without US ASSOCIATES THERE WOULD BE NO WALMART!!!There is so much to my story with these managers and I will make it known on how they treat there workers and how disrespectful, impolite, and most of all TOTAL UNPROFESSIONAL and something needs to be done!!! So to your complaint my friend they asked if I agree if they made it so we could add our own agrees mine would say SUPER STRONGLY AGREE!!! You take care and trust me they will not get away with this injustice for long... theprophecy080485@gmail.com like I said I have more to my story feel free to hit me up!!!
 16th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

Walmart - overcharged on 11/16/09
Phone: 5734687030

On 11/16/09 i purchased a cold drink that was all, The young man that ran my card through actually ran it through for 227.29 and again for18.99, he said oh i fixed it, no he did not.I want this back on my card today.the actuall amount was only 2.29 for a drink ;call me at 573-885-7995 asap I cant afford to lose 265.00
 17th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

Walmart - terms not offered up front.
21472 Berg Rd.
Phone: 248-327-6251

No mention of charges was offered before I was asked to click a submit button. Then I was told to canvcel or pay a monthly charge.

I am 88 years old on a limited income and do not want to order anything.
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
get your bank statement and go early in the day to talk with the accounting associate. they most likely will look at the tapes for the day and will pull up the reciept to see what was even purchased.
 21st of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
My son worked at the Wal-Mart in Vandalia IL. He was praised for his work many times, but because he made the other associates in his department look bad they tried to force him out. Last week they told him he was being moved to a cashier position, against his will. Then, two days ago he had a stomach bug. He was at work, vomiting in the bathroom. A manager was called and he was sent home because he was sick. Yesterday he went to work, worked his shift, and then they fired him for his 'unexcused absence'! He has been there almost a year, and he has a 6 month old son and another baby due in June. He is devastated by this. I am so angry at these people, if I thought we stood a chance I would file a suit against them for wrongful termination.
 24th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
Stop shopping at Wal-mart. I know thing are really tight, but, I would rather spend a few pennys more to get the service I deserve. I did work under Emmanuel Gilliam at st # 5129 Landover Hills Md. He is VERY direspectful and threatning. He brought the morale of the store to 0. He is by far the worst manager I have seen in 18 years in retail. He lies, he has also demanded the his cash office doctor books, and if you question it he is quick to say do you want you job. He is digusting and he will get his. EVIL HAS A SHORT SHELFLIFE.
 9th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes
My son was terminated yesterday from Sam's Club in Franklin, TN. He was out for 2 evening shifts last week to be the best man in his only sibling's wedding. He found someone to take his shifts and received approval from a manager. That sub showed up for both shifts. When my son returned to work, the approving manager had left the store and returned to Sam's club in Nevada and they fired my son for 2 no call, no show shifts. They stated that he received approval from the wrong manager. Don't you think that manager would have told him that??? Guess not. The store manager has refused to see him or speak to him to explain what happened and he did not get a verbal or written warning. No second chance here. He had been an employee for almost 18 months, 3 excellent reviews and wage increases. I don't understand and we are very confused. You would think Walmart and Sam's would want to keep good and dependable employees. I will never shop with them again - no matter how much lower their prices may be.
Sad Mom in Spring Hill, TN
 30th of Mar, 2010 by    0 Votes

Walmart - lenghth of yime in line

to many people everybody using self check out because not enough cashiers.it has a terrible odor in the store from the subway shop
 3rd of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I have worked at the Walmart store in OK for about two years now. I dare not say which one for fear of being fired over it. I could never sit and list all the complaints here that I have with the management due to the fact it would take the next six years. I started dating a women who also works at the same Walmart about a seven months ago. She was asked on a regular basis to help fill in at the deli where I work. And the fact that I am also female this because an issue with management as soon as they where aware we where a couple. We keep everything professorial at all times and we are both hard workers. Yet as soon as the manager found this out she was given a 50 foot band from my department. Only being asked and allowed to help out when they messed up on the scheduling and I was left alone to handle the entire department. Mind you she was still only allowed to do this if the main store manger was not there. If he is in the store he would rather the customers not receive the proper help and walk off than let her help me out. They recently hired a man who is a little slow but also very angry at life in general. When I went on by scheduled break yesterday he was left alone for five minuets and was upset about this enough to cuss me out in fount of customers and other employees to the point where I felt threatened. I went to the assistant manager Adam who was there at the time and asked that he please speak to him about his behavior and told him I was not comfortable and felt threatened by his behavior. He listen to me said he would address it and did noting. Maybe if management spent less time sitting in the office chatting and on the phones they would be more aware and care about what was going on in there own store. We are continually running out of food in the deli causing customers to become upset with me and often irate. I feel Walmart managers should be forced to take management classes that not only teach them about customer service but also how to treat there employees with respect. Respect goes a long way in making employees do a better job and in caring about what happens in their store. Also whats up with the bonuses? Our store has not received one in over eight months. I have been working since I was 15 years old and am now 47 I have never felt the disrespect and unconcern from any management I have come across as I do working for Walmart. And I have found the only way to move up in Walmart is to suck up to management. And this also plays into the fact that management is very unfair in how that treat each employee. The more you suck up the more you can get away with. You speak out you are distend to be fired for one thing or another.

Walmart Logo Walmart