logo

Test Prep Services
Possibly Fradulent
2. (17 mins ago)
DVDpearl
They tell fake promises and excuses
3. (17 mins ago)

As an Employee

Walgreebs
Virginia
My experience Working for Walgreens

More than one year ago I was hired at our neighborhood Walgreens's. All I can say is "wow. How did I last this long?"..

Let me take you on a short story journey, on what REALLY happens inside our little home away from homes, that we call work.

From the outside, it looks like a pretty good job, nice, organized, people seem polite to you. Everyone has on his or her smock, nice neat name tags, smiles…At least, that's how it was when I went to fill out my application at the Walgreen's closest to me… unfortunately, I didn't get hired at that one, but at another one in the area…

I was hired by one of the laziest EXA's I think I have ever met…She didn't do a whole lot, she brought her boyfriend to work sometimes and he stayed there for hours on end… while her husband would circle the parking lot.

Oh but once she got transferred out we got someone much worse. At first, he helped out, complimented us, was even polite…but after two weeks, that wore off. He is rude, makes lewd comments, is far lazier than our last EXA and in his own little remarkes, discriminates, they might be very light when he says them, but now more and more people are catching on. He closes only once a week, and when he does, he mainly just sits in the office on his phone… he asks everyone else to clean his aisles, and gets an attitude if his are not straight, and if ours are not either. I have even made the comment to him about him being on the lazy side, and he told me "he didn't have to, he paid his dues".

And God-forbid you ever get pregnant while working there. At one point, I was put at main, with morning sickness, when I tell them I don't feel well, can I go home, I was told to just throw up in the trash can when I felt sick. I had to stay that whole night. The next day that I was there, I was approached by my store manager, after a few moments in the bathroom with morning sickness, these exact words "If you're going to be getting sick in the bathroom all day, then just go home, I'm not paying you to be sick!" I sure wish someone would have told me that the night I was working at main vomiting in the trash can…

And then of course, the morning I worked, while pregnant, was also the day loss prevention and district showed up… I bought some meds to calm my stomach so I wouldn't be getting sick, and when m y EXA asked "oh do you have the flu? You feel ok?"

When I told him "no, it's the morning sickness"

He Said "Oh...ok" As if having the Flu would have a better answer.

Needless to say, the medicine didn't work and I was in the bathroom most of that morning.

Not only was I sick, and tired, and having horrible mood swings, but it was also Christmas season!!... At one point, I was scheduled 2:00-12:30… and of course we never got out of there until closer to 1:00 or 1:30. So trust me when I say, it was hard on my body.

Now if that sounded bad, try miscarrying. Unfortunately, when this happened, I had to call out. Which wasn't bad but in the confusion of it all, I had forgotten to get a doctors note. (Which by the way is easy to forget when you're not all there after that experience.) My manager rudely, a week later, asked where my doctors note was, and that she wouldn't give me my three *yes only three* sick day I asked for. She told me she needed it by Saturday. So I came in Saturday, and got talked at again because she needed it before 12:00. Well I didn't know that, but she agreed to put them on my NEXT paycheck. And, she forgot to put them on that one… in fact, I lost the baby on December 5 2006. I didn't receive pay for my sick days until February 2 2007. So it was about four pay checks later, that I finally got paid because a payout was out of the question.

Don't get me wrong, I love the company I work for. I love what I do here at Walgreen's. But the people that are put into power are absolutely horrible. My store manager. Yes, when everyone comes for the V.P visits, she puts on a wonderful act. Talks sweetly to everyone and treats her employee like little angels. But when you all are not around, she is completely different. She has a habit of talking down on me and of course other employees, which could be why we have such a high turnover rate at our location. She has her over the top sarcasm that just kills the mood .I honestly can not say how I have lasted this long here. There were times I was ready to just up and quit too. There were times I would go home crying because I have never in my life been talked down on so badly. Even as a child adults had never treated me poorly or said things that would make me that upset. And here I thought Walgreen's was a professional business-like place to work.

All around the office and back there are little reminders of our dress code, what we can and cant wear… well I sure wish district would have shown up on the day my manager decided to wear her Walgreens-bought skirt and high-heeled-backless clogs, that by the way, she could not even walk in. And since she could not walk in them, half of the day she walked around wearing grandma bedtime slippers she bought over in the sock aisle...And while wearing this, made a comment that my smock needed to be washed, actually, it had been, it had just become so faded it was looking messy. But then again, that how it almost always is… Once she hears higher up are coming things get rushed. She starts noticing imperfections. Of course, she doesn't notice them any other time…

Like I said before, don't get me wrong, I love my job… but the people that are put in power need to be re-evaluated. If anything goes wrong in that store, if the store fails and audit, guess whose fault it is… OURS. Not really hers, its ours. We are the ones who messed up. At least that's how it's made out to be. And if we get written up, it's normally for something we didn't even know we did wrong. We don't get a warning or anything like that. Unfortunately, we are poorly trained and when we see lazy people who are our higher ups how is that going to inspire us to work harder and perfect ourselves? It's not. I'll be the first to admit that I do slack off. Why not? I see my Manager and EXA doing it.

I'm not saying I'm a perfect person because I'm far from it… but I don't think I deserved to be treated like dirt when I am not. I am a good person. I am honestly not stupid and when it comes time to work, I do get most of my work, if not all of it done.

I also don't feel right signing my name to this, only because if it gets back to my manager on who wrote this, I will only be treated worse than I am now…and I honestly don't think I could take much more of it. But I am going to anyway. For I was off the clock when this was written, and if something is done off the clock I should not be punished for it, especially when I'm voicing my opinion
Comments United States Law & Civil Rights
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Mar, 2008 by   Richard Quick Esq. -1 Votes
"...if something is done off the clock I should not be punished for it, especially when I'm voicing my opinion."

No, you shouldn't be punished for it. You should be punished for embodying everything that's wrong with the lazy, self-entitled whiny American workforce. Anyone wondering why we're getting kicked by foreign labor need only look as far as your smock and plastic nametag.

Listen, toots, you're only there for one reason alone: because the Chinese aren't finished building the robot that will be replacing your sorry ass within the next few years. You're there to ring up drugs and tampons and diarrea medicine and gossip magazines and aisles of worthless crap for worthless people to make money for Walgreen shareholders like me. How did we get to have millions of dollars to invest in the lucrative drugging of America?? Because we didn't squander our opportunities, didn't take for granted growing up in one of the world's most prosperous countries and best educational systems by settling for being lazy morons who sit around and whine about the lazy morons they work for.

If your "superiors" are all lazy morons, what does that make you? Why not get off your fat ass and accomplish something?

See you on the veranda!

Millionaire Richard Quick, Esq.
Senior Partner, Quick, Duhk & Hyde
 2nd of Apr, 2008 by   Kyle 0 Votes
Obviously Mister "Millionaire Richard Quick, Esquire" has never really worked a day in his life, and is in no position to judge this situation. I'm guessing he probably grew up mooching off daddy and his inheritance. Try working in the fast food or retail industries on the bottom level for a few months before you get high and mighty about laziness. Why should we care about a crappy job that pays barely more than minimum wage with little hope for any real advancement? Get real.
 2nd of Apr, 2008 by   andrew 0 Votes
I just wanted to say that Mr. "Millionaire Richard Quick" sounds like a cock to me.
 2nd of Jun, 2008 by   Heather 0 Votes
I work at the newest of the Walgreens stores in my area. My store manager is wonderful. Couldn't ask for better. We had an equally-wonderful EXA (assistant manager), but he left our store to manage a store closer to his home. Now we have a brat-kid 22 year old EXA that get paid to smoke and text and smart off to employees. I really do like working at Walgreens, and I hope this gets worked out, but I can see disaster for our store if she stays in power. Bad bosses make for unhappy employees. Unhappy employees make for unhappy customers... brat-kid EXA = loss of profits.
 14th of Jul, 2008 by   D 0 Votes
Seriously!? Who introduces themselves as "Millionaire "!? That guy is either totally full of shit or just a total douche!
 21st of Jul, 2008 by   BlueTech 0 Votes
As a current employee of Walgreens, I agree with "Arik", that although it's a really good company overall, some stores can be absolute shit-holes. I worked with one fat-ass manager at my first location for almost a year, before transferring to my current post, where everyone is the opposite of my starting store. They're all laid back, don;t care about anything, but live in their own prada and gucci fantasies. I can't wait until life throws the curveball full o' feces at them.

If you EVER have trouble with management, use walgreens' open-door policy; talk to the district manager. If he/she is a dick as well, go up the chain: Regional VP, Divisional VP, even talk to Mark Wagner (the walgreens fanboy-in-chief) if you have to. Walgreens survives on having a good reputation; if someone from the inside spoils that, it'll hurt them more than any customer complaint.

~ BlueTech
 21st of Jul, 2008 by   Jonny Rocco -1 Votes
People who work at Walgreens = No Lives and nothing better to do but trash other people. You suck, go walk in front of a bus.
 2nd of Aug, 2008 by   yeppers 0 Votes
I just started working for Walgreen's. The first day I was told I was making $2 less an hour than I was quoted at my interview, my "training" was all of 5 minutes at the register BUT over 6 hours of PC mumbo jumbo about what a great company Walgreens is. The 2nd day of the job, with a grand total of 5 minutes training at the register, I was on my own.

Out of the 7 days I've worked, I've only been allowed to take my breaks the first 2 days and "lunch" is usually aroung 9 PM.
 31st of Aug, 2008 by   Aaron 0 Votes
Also try calling 1-800-6NoLoss and filing a complaint with loss prevention. You can do it anonymously and it is taken seriously.

Upper management is not psychic; unless you let someone know what's going on then the people who break the rules will simply continue to get away with it.
 20th of Sep, 2008 by   SBubble 0 Votes
Im sorry to hear that your store is so bad.. ive noticed a couple in our district aswell that sound VERY similar.. i nearly thought your post was by my cousin as this happend to her ver batim.. she applied at my store Which is WONDERFUL!!! and was hired at the worst store id ever seen.. .. the call in sound like a good idea for you .. uppermanagement truly does care.. at least in our district...

Good luck to you!
 4th of Nov, 2008 by   Heather 0 Votes
" 218 days ago by Richard Quick Esq. [send email]

See you on the veranda!

Millionaire Richard Quick, Esq.
Senior Partner, Quick, Duhk & Hyde

Well Mr. Millionaire,
The last time I checked Walgreens stock was down to $23 a share or so. Also, I hate to break it to you but aside from all of the hours being cut and the positions being deleted, Walgreens has a big slue of lawsuits and investigations coming up. I wouldn't want to be a shareholder for long if I were you. Maybe you should take a pointer from Martha Stewart. Didn't Walgreens just lose a $28million lawsuit for discriminating against African Americans? How much did you lose on that deal?
 4th of Nov, 2008 by   Heather 0 Votes
I just wanted to add to my last comment. Maye you should watch what you say. I wonder what the EEOC would say if they knew you called this woman "toots". There are Business courses that you can enroll in that teach you the meaning of inclusive language. I would think somebody who strives on success, not because of his mercedes or lexus, but because of his family would know that you can get yourself into a whole lot of trouble talking to people the way you do. Better yet, maybe Walgreens taught you this disrespectful and degrading attitude towards women and you need to be brought down as well.
 17th of Nov, 2008 by   gina maggard 0 Votes
I'm working for Walgreens...This is by far the most difficult company I've ever worked for..
I have learning disabilities...ADD and dyslexia..
I've had problems remembering to clock in and out..
This is a federal offense! I got suspended from work
2 and half days because I fogot to clock in a few times
This is ludicrous!! I"ve worked for other companies
like Penneys, and when we would forget, the secretary
would just ask what time we started work & we'd write it in..I"m treated like a common criminal and
now they have mentioned that i could be fired for
this outrageous excuse...It doesn't matter that I'm
good in sales and treat customers with respect and the
co-workers...Seems like MGRs are constantly getting
upset with me for trivial issues..Such as standing on the green star to greet customers as they enter the store...One day I was a foot away from the stupid star and one Mgr said I need to be right on it! Please!
it's like being in highschool...
They want to accuse me of TIme theft...which is hilarious...I've never abused the system but treated unfairly and they are violating my rights as a learning disabled adult... I contacted the Equal Employment Opportunity commission...They said
to ask for a reasonable accomadation for clock ins
due to disablilities..Then they said if they let me go
I will be able to file a civil suit...! I will certainly take advantage of this...I feel Walgreens owes me money for the 20 hrs I missed when they suspended me too.
I'm going to a Doctor who will test me to verify my learning disablities...then I will have him send a
note...to MGMT...They are harassing me and treating
me as if I'm an idiot...What about my rights as a
person with disabilities? it's not fair and therefore
I will look for another job...This company expects way too much and the pay isn't worth it..
I will findsomething better
working for Walgreens is hell...I"ve won several Outstanding customer service awards...it doesnt matter...!!! The hell with this company...it's not worth it..
 7th of Dec, 2008 by   rick 0 Votes
the reason why they are such sticklers about clocking in and out has to do with legal inplications. If you look at the news, other companies such as cvs and wal mart have been suited because of time clock violations and not paying people properly. walgreens does not have secretaries like jc pennys. so who are you gonna tell???

Reasonable accomodations has zero to do with the ability to punch a clock, it has everything to do with the ability to perform your job on an equal footing as someone without a disabiltiy.

Unfortunately, you were suspended appropriately. It has nothing to do with thinking your stealing time and more about following the law and paying people appropriately. Maybe you should reapply at JC Pennys
 9th of Feb, 2009 by   Lisa F. Mears 0 Votes
As Martin Luther King puts it "Can't we all just get along" Life and Work is what you make of it, Can't we help us who need it, help us with physical dissabilities, work with us a little slower, help us less smart, help us that are smart, help each other succeed in every path in our careers and personal roads we walk daily--We are so busy prejudging, hating, insulting one another, it's no wonder other countries are taking over people, WAKE UP and smell the Money, it's ours, good habits are easier than bad ones, believe it or not, Take care of our own and be a great American Country again!
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   dmb2stepsc 0 Votes
I got fired from Walgreens for apparently having an affair with my boss... never effin happened!! Wally'G's is crap... but I miss the dang check!
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   dmb2stepsc +1 Votes
They really are a crooked company!!! really!! I am out of a job because of a lie that was called into loss prevention!
 9th of Apr, 2009 by   CVS Drone 0 Votes
if you think Walgreens is bad, you should give CVS a try. They bring arrogant money hungry bastards to an all time high. we are not employees we are retail slaves.
 25th of May, 2009 by   Ramcharran 0 Votes
Hmm my exp is that if your in a union store its a lil bit easier than non union the extra few $$ that get cut from your paycheck help you out of a tight spot once in a while esp retaliation by the manager who might cut your hours treat you badly talk down to you etc it puts you on a equal footing with any sob who happens to get promoted to "mgt" lol or as I like to call them asst stockboy/girl or chief stockboy/girl. My exp has been the quality of people that get hired as mgt keeps sliding every year and coporate wants these bums to squeeze as much out of min wage workers
as possible while paying just barely enough to keep you alive ...
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   smokeandmirrors 0 Votes
I believe this pompous a** is actually employed by Walgreens to just throw a monkey wrench in anything found on the net that is anti Walgreens. People like him come and go, and are usually chewed up and spit out by the life force. In other words, he or she is a heartless sole that has no friends and will eventually die a miserable death alone. I should think that would give some of us some comfort...

The Lice Lady's Tips to Keep Your Child Lice Free