logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (48 mins ago)
Excelsior College CPNE
CPNE failure is rediculously easy.
2. (57 mins ago)
Web 7 Design
Scam
3. (1 hr 6 mins ago)
Lone Star Security & Video
Unsavory business practices
4. (1 hr 8 mins ago)
Tussa Hatton
The agent charged me and didn’t provide any services
5. (1 hr 12 mins ago)
Brilliance.com
Don't even think about buying from them

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

VitalChek Complaints & Reviews - Poor service!

VitalChek Contacts & Informations

VitalChek

Posted:    Karen Schrader

Poor service!

On June 8, 2007 I placed an order for an expedited certified copy of a Birth Certificate for travel purposes. My credit card was billed on on June 14, 2007. The certificate service was advertised as being delivered in 7 days - 2 weeks. It has been 30 days. Although I was issued an order confirmation number and directed to track the process of my order I have not been able to do so online. The New Jersey status page link has been unavailable and so has VitalChek's site. I contacted VitalChek via email and was told that my order was processed and I should receive email confirmation soon with a Fedex Tracking number. I have had no such contact and that was 15 days ago. This company now has my money as well as vital statistic information and a copy of my driver's license. At this point I do not believe that they are providing the service they advertise.
Comments United States E-Shopping
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jul, 2007 by   Glenn 0 Votes
I also got screwed by this company!
 30th of Jul, 2007 by   Connie Ambler 0 Votes
I tried to order a birth certificate through VitalChek, whose link appears on the Ancestry.com site. Though the online order was declined, I was billed $12.oo for each of the two birth certificate copies I tried to order. The emails notifying me of these charges came in with the heading "DoNotRepy@VitalChek.com." Each email claimed to be a "receipt" for a "special handling fee," though the screens on the online ordering site promised to allow a complete review of all information entered before any processing occurred. While VitalChek would not allow me to make an online order, the company did end up with my credit card information and social security number and took without my agreement $24.oo from my account. I understand that VitalChek is owned by data broker ChoicePoint, a company who has been cited for mismanagement of personal information.
 5th of Nov, 2007 by   Lauren M 0 Votes
Terrible customer service - it's by email only and you can't call them at all. They requested the same documents over and over and once the order has passed a certain amount of time you have to start it all over again.

I can't believe the county directed me to this company to process my order online. I should have walked into the city courthouse to do it in person instead, it would have been less hassle and much much faster, which destroys the point of an online order.
 14th of Dec, 2007 by   Molly D 0 Votes
This is the worst company ever. DO NOT USE THEM. Go directly through your state's vital records office instead. EVEN if your state says to order online through vitalchek.com, do NOT USE THEM. Do it over the phone or in person with the official state agency.

They said it would take 3-5 days processing time for my order, and that it would go through quickly if I paid an extra $13 for the faster shipping. THIS WAS A LIE.
They charged my credit card TWICE and didn't send the certificate out until 30 days later.

After calling their parent company, Choice Point, I was finally able to find a phone number for vitalchek. (This is not listed on their website--the only way to contact them is through some bogus email system that they don't respond to.) The only reason, I'm convinced, that my order was even processed at all was because I called and demanded my money back. I am still trying to get my extra money back for the expedited shipping, since the certificate arrived so late that I didn't even need it by that point.

PHONE NUMBER
1-800-255-2414
Press #4
 12th of Mar, 2008 by   LeAnn 0 Votes
Vitalchek is horrible. No one should ever use them. They charged my credit card three months ago and I'm still waiting for my marriage certificate. Every time I call I speak to a nice person who is helpful but can only request a refund. And of course the requests keep getting denied...after three weeks of them thinking about it. I would NOT recommend this company under any circumstances.
 29th of May, 2008 by   Robert P 0 Votes
I felt I had no choice but to use VitalChek after the Georgia Vital Records Office told me it would take three to four WEEKS to process my birth certificate application -- but by paying VitalChek $36 I could cut the time to no more than five business days! I smelled a rat, but I also needed my birth certificate in time to let the U.S. State Department sit on it for half a year while determining whether I am a terrorist. Back to VitalChek: Everything about their online presence is shoddy. Their web forms are poorly designed, so pay close attention while filling them out, and triple-check everything. As you try to complete the purchase, the VitalChek server will fail several times, either by timing out in a way that allows you to resubmit your data, or by shutting down entirely for a few minutes. I had to start over again three times! If you have a question, you will have to hunt for a well-concealed web form that allows you to send an email, but you must keep your message short. You'll get a reply from a person in "three business days"! (And we're supposed to believe they'll deliver a completed document in 2-4 days?!) This is the worst service I have yet experienced from an online business. I resent having to give my money to a company that cares so little about quality. It would actually please me to see both VitalChek and ChoicePoint shut their doors forever.
 2nd of Jul, 2008 by   annette 0 Votes
VITACHEK IS A SCAM!!! They give every excuse in the book not to get you your order of any kind of a certificate!!! THEY KEPT the $38.45 without a refund!!! I have done EVERY REQUIREMENT daily for the PAST 3 MONTHS, to NO AVAIL!!! Have spoken w/Reps for OVER AN HOUR M-F for the past 3 months!!!
SCAM SCAM SCAM !!!
 2nd of Jul, 2008 by   annette 0 Votes
TOTALLY AGREE -- VITALCHEK IS A SCAM -- NEVER USE EM - MAKE THESE CROOKS GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!!
 19th of Aug, 2008 by   Sarah 0 Votes
for anyone who wants to call and get ahold of them right away-- 1-800-669-8312

scam. scam. scam.scam.

and complete rip off. they should be shut down for bad business practices- I encourage anyone who's been abused by this company to file with the better business bureau.
 19th of Aug, 2008 by   Elizabeth 0 Votes
Yes, Vitalcheck is awful. I just got off the phone with them and am livid. The website looks sleek, and county records offices unwittingly recommend the company, but their business practices are fraudulent.

I have an unauthorized charge on my bank card and they refused to refund me. The rep did not let me speak with a supervisor, and eventually hung up on me when I presented him with the evidence.

They have several clever ways to trick consumers. Do not go through them for records. If you used their "services" and had a negative experience, report them to the Better Business Bureau. Here is the direct link:
 24th of Sep, 2008 by   KAYWHYCHICK 0 Votes
I want to thank everyone for posting their comments. I was just about to order my daughter's birth certificate online and a little voice inside me told me to search for complaints. Oh my god, the vitalchek website looks so professional. People who post these complaints just saved me almost $50.00. Thank you sooooooooo much. Im so sorry yall had to go through the crap.
 13th of Oct, 2008 by   daphne ayers 0 Votes
I ordered 3 death certificates 7 days ago and paid with credit card. have not reeived them. It said
2 to 4 days. I lost the confirmation e-mail. would like another right now so I can use the check order. or

please call me at 410 672 4546
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by   Adrienne 0 Votes
Unable to contact them waited on phone an hour...finaly hung up I also did not get a email confirmation...these people are the WORSE!!! they should be put out of bussniess
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   Krazy Kat 0 Votes
WE HAVE TRIED ORDERING A BIRTH CERTIFICATE THROUGH THESE PEOPLE 2 DIFFERENT TIMES. The first time I ordered my birth certificate in GA it cost me 36.00 and I did receive it in 3 business days. But my fiancee John ordered his from N.Y. the same day and they charged the credit card but declined the order. Yet, we had to fight to have the money refunded. It was eventually refunded about 3 months later. Now again the Dept. of Vital statistics said to go through this website if I wanted fast delivery and I do. So I tried again as they did help the first time. This time I used my credit card and it was denied because his name appeared as the card holder, as he's not the card holder it was declined. So we tried with me as the card holder. But then the website made it out as if I was the requester and we were still declined because I am not yet his wife. But again still waiting for my money to be refunded. This time it's $64.95. That's alot of money when u don't have it and yet I still have no birth certificate. or more money to order it from someone else. When we spoke with someone on the phone they told me I would have my money back on my card in 24 to 48 hours, but I'd have to pay again now to receive the birth certificate I ordered, with the same credit card they can't just accept the money they already received and send me my damn birth certificate. Theses people will be reported to the BBB from us. Other partied may want to contact and Atty. for a possible class action law suit as this is robbery. We will also be contacting one here in Florida and when we have found one to accept this, we will post it here for you too.
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by   lallababie 0 Votes
I am sitting here on hold waiting to speak to someone at VitalChek.. very frustrating indeed. I placed my order a week ago and every morning I check the status of my order and it says "Your order is NOT COMPLETE - additional information is required. Please CLICK HERE to produce your Authorization Form and complete your order. " I faxed my authorization form to them a week ago and have emailed a scanned copy as well.. now I am reading that some orders are declined but they charge your credit card anyways???? I have been on hold for 32 minutes now, and i am not hanging up.
 12th of Mar, 2009 by   Kim 0 Votes
This company is unbelievable. I got the birth certificate I ordered in a timely manner. The charge of $64.25 was outrageous. But I didn't feel I had any other choice. Now today over 1 week later I got another birth certificate and another charge this one for $60.45. I have been on hold for over an hour now ... I am hoping I can get a refund. But it doesn't seem likely .. The options when you need this type of information are slim.. and this is totally not fair to be overcharged so much
 26th of Mar, 2009 by   Agee 0 Votes
This company is appalling!!! I have been waiting 6 weeks for a Birth Certificate. I've paid the processing fee and still no documentation. I was told a delivery was attempted and because no one was home to sign, it was returned. It was explained to me that the document has now been sent via US Postal Service. However, after 4 weeks, we still do not have a birth certificate. Customer services is terrible!!! The service agents uninformed!!! Supervisors (Tamara Hanson) are rude! Upper management will not return calls or respond to emails. Again, this company is APPALLING!!! Do not use this company.
 27th of Mar, 2009 by   patty glenn 0 Votes
I paid $19.50 for express shipping of my birth certificate...4 days ago! Express shipping in this day and age usually means, overnight delivery, for that kind of money. The shipping time is not explained until after your credit card has been charged...and then it's sent in an e-mail. By then..you're stuck! Luckily, someone posted Vital Chek's 800 # on the web. Otherwise I would have never found it. When I called, they told me my order had not even been processed. I asked for a refund because since I didn't get it right away, I didn't need it anymore. They denied my refund request, and told me there was nothing I could do but wait until it arrives. THIS IS DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING AND OUTRIGHT FRAUD!
 11th of Apr, 2009 by   Freddy 0 Votes
I looked at all the complaints on this board and was a little sceptical myself, but I needed my birth certificate. Paid the $33 and received my certificate 3 days later, no problems at all. There are a lot of complaints here, but I'm sure it's just a drop in the bucket compared to thousands of others who have not had any problems and don't write back with positive feedback. And the answer is "no, I do not work for vitalchek." I saw those comments around also as I was searching to see if this was a legitimate company.
 2nd of May, 2009 by   coyotegirl 0 Votes
Freddy, I'm glad you got your cert. I just got off the phone with their 800 number, and it's some dude on a cell who says "call back" - maybe you got lucky, but I need my cert for travel and I'm getting screwed. The state of CT will hear from me for putting the VitalChek link on their site.
Stacey