logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Norton.com / CS CA
Unsolicited "renewal" of norton product!
2. (5 mins ago)
PLDT
no internet and telephone since typhhon Glenda
3. (10 mins ago)

Fraud

Virginia College Online
Birmingham, Alabama
vconlinecourses.edu
I was looking for a paralegal college online and I just found out that this college is not regionally accredited and I was oltd that it was. Also, they have been pocketing my financial aid and never telling me how much FA I have and how much they are taking out. Never tell me the loan details. If the school is not regionally accreditted then I can't get a job, tuition reimbursement. they have been using up my financial aid and me habing to pay a loan for a bogus degree. Lots of complaints online, not just me. I am a victim of VCO. I am so crushed because I worked hard for a year and I really liked the college and now I can't even transfer my credits. if I got the degree I wouldn't be able to use it so what is the point?
Comments United States Loans
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Virginia College Online complaints
Virginia College Online - CREDITS WILL NOT TRANSFER

Comments

16th of Mar, 2010 by   JCross32 +2 Votes
I’d have to agree with everything this person says. I have been at Virginia College, it’s almost ridiculous to call it a college, for almost three years. Why almost three years you ask? Because when I first enrolled in this hell hole of a college (notice I used a lowercase C ) I came in as a Human Resource Management program. Three whole quarters later they dropped the program. I was forced to change to Administrative Office Management. So I’m stuck PAYING for the credits in HRM that don’t transfer into AOM. Isn’t that grand, but back to my complaining! Financial Aid is sluggish and incompetent. The business office is riddled half wits that NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE! It’s like they have caller-id, see our names and say, “I don’t want to talk to that ass hole, ” and don’t pick up the phone. We have had five, yes five, deans since I have been here. The last was a short Nazi lady named Dean Bruce! She stalked the halls pointing out everyone’s flaws. She lorded over the teachers like a harpy, making them paranoid! Our President looks like a pedophile, with his short arms and legs. When I first enrolled the people that I spoke to said that our credits will, “transfer to any university.” I knew that was a lie, but I have watched as friends graduate and try to go on to further their education, finding themselves starting all over again. Students that have been popped with an additional grand a few days before graduation, the audacity! In today’s time money is hard to come by and so are jobs. I am walking away from Virginia College of Mobile with a piece of worthless paper and $30, 000 in debt. So I’m gonna go work at the Tobacco Shack in Bay Minette, Alabama, and go back to REAL college and try to put this whole twisted nightmare behind me!

Seething with hushed rage,

J Cross
 14th of Jun, 2010 by   Wayne23 0 Votes
Is there a scam asociated with spam from online schools? I recently received an email from Virginia College (verified, not from a third party) regarding my interest in this school. The link goes to vc.edu and not some other site. I am an attorney and never expressed interest in the school. It is impossible to believe that they accidentially have my correct name and email address. Maybe they buy lists of email addresses and names.
 21st of Jun, 2010 by   nettie munson +1 Votes
i too have been suckered into virginia college, they have put me through hell, the financial aid, oh my god what idiots, once i got one guy who left working there the next day, i have gone through 6 people and i still do not have my financial aid, they keep claiming the paper work is not done, yea right, if it was not done i would never of started there, the way they treat their students, that is a crime, students are treated like the scum of the earth. i am going to school so i can get off social security disability, and these ass holes, i have had enough. will be calling the deupt of education.
 14th of Aug, 2010 by   dchwilson 0 Votes
J Cross, your comments are hilarious. Your grammar makes you sound as though you did not graduate elementary school; perhaps college wouldn't have done that much, anyway. Virginia College offers real degrees. If you didn't get the type of degree you wanted then it's your fault for failing to research the school before enrolling. ;)
 18th of Aug, 2010 by   forprofiteducationisanoxymoron 0 Votes
DCHWilson,

Stop being an apologist for a seedy unscrupulous industry and college. I actually don't blame the college itself, they found a way to "rob" consumers and tax payers of title IV funding and they make an ridiculous amount of profit while providing absolutely no service back to the community (grads that cannot read/write are the norm)...I blame the system as a whole that has allowed this shadow industry to survive and thrive by taking advantage of those that don't do the proper research...Those of us that work there know how bad it truly is, students don't know the half of how bad it is...there are no internal processes, no standardized system for enrolling/assisting/withdrawing students (it gets made up daily as we go)

If you have been ripped off by VC or any other online non-regionally accredited school and you have written documentation to prove it, please contact the Dept of Ed, the BBB, the Inspector General and the State Attorney General...
 2nd of Oct, 2010 by   yates2023 0 Votes
To be frank, most employers don't know the difference between the two types of accreditation. Very few employers will question the name of the college you attended, let alone its accreditation status. If you do run into concerns about your school or its accreditation, you may want to direct your employer to the U.S. Department of Education's Web page on accreditation issues. An explanation from this government authority will confirm that both types of accreditation are valid.

If you have a specific employer in mind, or if you hope that your degree will lead to a promotion at your current job, you might want to ask a Human Resources employee about the school(s) you are considering.

I'm in my fourth semester at Virginia College and have had few issues worth bringing up.

J. Yat
 9th of Oct, 2010 by   CLASSYVIV +1 Votes
Virginia online college are crooks no doubt about it!. I do not care how an individual can write in the column. You understand Virginia online college are crooks. They steal finical aid money also your loan money. They do not provide any documentation on your funds that are being with -held in their bank account. Now all of a sudden they are robbed of millions check the News Its true. But" "No students accounts are affected as they are aware." Leaving poor people in debt, just taking advantage of the poor in this economy ? I am filing a petition!!! If you have been ripped off please contact me with your email address. Tell me your case, we can work on getting this school shut down by turning evidence in by numbers with complaints. Maybe we can get our money back and a chance at another education investment. mswalls@secretary.net I have been in school 2 years $3000 paid out of $20, 000 loans. $15, 000 Pell grant. The disbursement s letters came no check. I know college is not eating up every dime Right?
 4th of Jan, 2011 by   Should be Graduate +1 Votes
I am currently in my fourth year at VC online. I will not be graduating this quarter due to mismanagement on behalf of the advisors that the college assigned me. Basically they had me take classes that did not count to fulfilling my degree requrements, and now, though I have enough credits to graduate, I cannot because they are not the "right" credits. I have spoken to a lawyer who thinks I have a case, but he suggested that I try to find others in the Southeast that have had similar problems in order to bring a class action suit. If anyone has had a situation where you were advised to take classes that were unnecesary, or a situation where Virginia College's errors cost you and you have any documentation, and you are willing to participate in a lawsuit (you would not have to pay anything), please contact me!
 10th of Jan, 2011 by   roshell chandler 0 Votes
I do classes online also with virginia college and I'm having problems with them telling me how much money that I have left out of my loan also everytime the money comes in. They will not tell me how much I have left over and they alway tell you oh! we will send you whats left over. But its never enough and then sometime they will tell you if you need funds you can request a loan. And when you do they tell me oh! your funds are going to run out if you keep requesting funds. If I didn't go to school online they wouldn't get the money. This is my first time filling out a request sheet. I'm disabled also. And for people that have misued funds it is not everyones fault. You need to think about that. If I have to have a lawyer I will get one. I have read some of these complaints and they have me worried.
 10th of Jan, 2011 by   shreeport 0 Votes
I too was a student there at vc online the situation that occured with me is that as stated above my fasfa did not not what i was gettin had to call so many times to get and answer then to my while attending i was having computer issues called there so called tech dept. and they could not fix the problem explained to my studnet advisor nd she stated that she will let the instructor know whats going on . continued to call about the problem still could not log in for the discussion and each time i received a new student advisor ND I have to pay for a class tht I could log into Now thats a Mess... un happy about this..
 11th of Jan, 2011 by   hcustead1976 0 Votes
I was told by them also that when i finished there i could transfer my credits to any major colled i wanted to to go on and further my degree. After leaveing VC I found out I had benn lied to. NO state college or university will take ANY of my credits. There for I am 13, 000.00 in debt now and pretty much nothing to show for it!!! I have personally never want to sue anyone or anyplace before in my life, but this has me so upset I dont know what to do!
 25th of Jan, 2011 by   billy10001 0 Votes
I agree with everyone on these posts. I went to Virginia College online last year, pass all of my classes except 2 which I was cheated out of. I Had Professor Jabra for 2 of my main classes that i needed to graduate. I post my assignment and he never responded to my emails or did he even give me the time of day. I talked with my advisor, did not even get to talk with the dean of the school, so furthermore the school kicked me out permanently, had to submit a doctors request, write a essay saying how much of a sickly dumb ass i was and then they might let me back in if i suck everyones cock. "THOSE BASTARDS" . So i sucked everyones cock and still dont have a degree or financial aid coming. Lesson Learned. There is no degree in cock sucking. Only disease
 17th of Feb, 2011 by   APRILL 0 Votes
I also went to virginia college for almost two years. Every time I asked about my loans and where they were going to, the virginia college staff could not tell me. They kept giving me the run around about everything. When I first enrolled, I was told that it would could no more than $18, 000. I was cool with that considering that I could get grants and scholarships to help me pay for it. Every time I would get a grant, virginia college would tell me "thats the amount that you could get, not what you actually get". I checked with the company that I received the grants from and was told that virginia college had gotten all of that money. Another thing, I was supplied with brand new books from the college (and no they would never tell me how much I was paying for them) and every somester that I had to use MY books, the college would charge me for a whole new set! When I graduated I was told that when we passed our test that we could go online and order our phlebotomy and EKG cards. I graduated, went online to order my cards that I took the test for, and guess what... turns out that I would have to go back and take 2 separate test to get them. And yes I would also have to pay for these exams that I had already taken.
 21st of Feb, 2011 by   Lacideshae -1 Votes
Virginia College wont stop calling me even after I told them I'm a student somewhere else. And although they are a scam and stealing your money why in the world would you sign up for a school like this?!?!! You say you're in debt and your credits won't transfer, well duh! Why wouldn't you look into that before you signed up. You are all idiots for not paying attention. I noticed on another post from a former employee that VC preys on students that can not read and write and obviously that is true because some of you seem to have the education of a 3rd grader. Would you buy a car or house without having it checked out first? Truth is YOU probably would but any smart person would. As pissed off as you are you can't blame anyone but yourselves for not checking into it. The day I read up on the school I found out they weren't accredited which is why I now go to an accredited school. Good luck on finding a job, and PS when you do finally finish and decide to go back to school don't go to Remington or Medvance either, same concept especially Remington.
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   VCOandproud 0 Votes
I am enrolled in VCO, and I have not had any problems. I know how much I pay and I get my refund checks in a timely manner.
 31st of May, 2011 by   Harley James 0 Votes
The following editorial first appeared in the San Jose Mercury News:

Though leaders in the House of Representatives insist their No. 1 priority is cutting government spending, it’s clear they have other goals. Among them is protecting the for-profit college industry, even though some of its practices waste untold millions in tax dollars and hurt poor and minority students.

For months, the Department of Education has been working to develop the so-called “gainful employment” rule, which would help ensure that students attending for-profit colleges will be able to earn enough after they graduate to repay their federal loans. While the for-profit education sector — which includes colleges such as the University of Phoenix — enrolls just 12 percent of students, it takes in a quarter of student aid and accounts for 43 percent of loan defaults. Reform is clearly needed.

So it was astonishing last month to see GOP lawmakers in the House, along with about 50 Democrats, pass legislation that blocked funding to implement the gainful employment rule. These lawmakers claim they’re concerned the rule will limit access to college. The truth is that it will limit the profits of their campaign contributors.

Republicans in the Senate are trying to pass a similar measure. We hope California Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer will help lead the effort to block it.

The rule will affect only the 5 percent of programs that do an egregiously bad job, leaving students with no career prospects and with debt they can’t repay. It will require a two-part test to measure program graduates’ ability to pay back the loans. Failing both tests knocks a program out of the federal student aid program, which is funded by taxpayers and makes up a majority of these companies’ revenue.

Republican leaders beholden to the for-profit institutions are undercutting their proclaimed commitment to reduced and responsible spending.

Even if the deficit were not more than $1 trillion a year, taxpayers should not be subsidizing for-profit colleges that don’t educate their students.

Where is the tea party when we need it?
 27th of Jun, 2011 by   Constance 0 Votes
I have had problems with VC online in Brimingham also with my loans. I apply for a advance loan to pay for some school supplies I had to have to help me stay online and the money was given to the school in April and they still have it and stating they can find it but they have one of them. They are scaming people. Constance of Chattanooga Tn
 29th of Jun, 2011 by   Upset_in_NJ 0 Votes
I was wondering if there have been any results in any of the above complaints? My wife has been taking online course through VCO, and has been assured that they were accredited and would have no problem getting a Government job. Only to find out after 2 years and huge student loans, that their accreditation is not recognized by any government, and she'll basically have to start over. Has anyone had any relief or results?
 6th of Jul, 2011 by   Wally Dixon 0 Votes
Dear Upset in NJ
How did VC get you way up there in NJ? These new disclosures that the for profits are having to post of their website should tell the story. It it is going to cost you $25, 000 to learn a trade that pays $21, 000, you are screwed from the start. Schools loan will be with you for a very long time and you cannot bankrupt them, they are like a bad dream. A $25, 000 loan could end up costing a person $250 - $350 per month in payments.

I looks like the people who go to these places are looking for something for nothing fast, and that is what they get NOTHING. The job market is tight, people from real schools are going to get the jobs because ther are plenty of them out in the market place. Walking in with a degree from an online univerity like VC is going to get you nowhere. Just my opionion.
 21st of Aug, 2011 by   LividtotheMax +1 Votes
I graduated from this hellhole of a school with an Associates but could not attend my graduation because of the incompetence of the financial aid department. The staff are bums and morons from the Dean on down and then they have the audacity to catch attitudes because you call asking about YOUR refund check that YOU are going to have to pay back. We, the students have to suffer because they switched over to a new system of dealing with your disbursements and refunds, BLAH, BLAH BLAH. All of these excuses are just a smokescreen to keep your money.
They act as if they are doing you a favor by giving you YOUR money. When I called in to the financial aid office I always got a *sigh* and an attitude because these functioning retards do not want to do their job. The financial aid coordinator that I was assigned to never had any information about my loans. She just told me some crap to get me off the phone. Why was she even there? There was never an exact breakdown of what I was paying for. If you go on the student portal, which btw is a joke of a website that looks like it had been created by a intoxicated toddler, they only show your loan disbursements and your balance so that is not a true breakdown either. These people are shysters to the core.
Let us not even get on the illiterates that they have for professors/instructors. They have the audacity to take off points if you make one typo but they can jack up a whole paragraph and think someone is supposed to take them seriously. One of these so-called “instructors” told me that I was SOL since my computer crashed and did not even try to help me with the situation. This was not the case for all of the instructors but the great majority seemed like they could have phoned in their so-called “instruction.”
In addition, the process of securing an externship was a total fiasco. I was told at the very last minute that I could not use certain sites for an externship. The first externship coordinator that I had did next to nothing to help me. However, the second coordinator worked her butt off to help me secure a site. She actually gave a damn. However, when I did secure a site it was in the third week of the damn course teamed with the fact that the damn externship was 30 miles away round trip. Therefore, I am spending 80-100 bucks a week in gas and putting wear and tear on my car trying to get my externship hours. Again, I am coming out of money and no one is going to reimburse me for my gas but they have the gall and nerve to hold my refund check hostage and tell me that I am the bad person for inquiring about MY OWN money. Are you serious??
Oh and finally yet, importantly, they switched the graduation date of the ceremony by a week and did not have the decency or the tact to apologize or give an explanation as to why this was done. The e-mail, in a nutshell, went like this “we switched the date of your graduation ceremony can you still attend?” They did not give a thought that some students might be from out of town and have made plans and reservations to attend on the initial date. That crap was so unprofessional and inconsiderate.
I have totally had it with this bootleg establishment posing as a college. I was enrolled in the bachelors program but after this last debacle with my refund check, I have since ditched this school for a more reputable one. Messing with MY money and making me miss an opportunity to walk across the stage was the last straw for me. Anyone considering this school, either online or otherwise, should avoid it as if it was an STD!!

How to Make Money with Mobile Internet