logo

Posted:    needreliableinfo

Legal Nurse Consulting

Vickie Milazzo Institute
Houston, Texas
I was interested in buying their legal nurse consulting course but heard it was overpriced. It seems their advertising is more about hype and pumping people up than anything else. Apparently they offer a guarantee but here is my question: how many people take the course and return it for a refund vs. keep it and become successful? That stat would help me make a decision. Does anyone know that?

Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Jan, 2011 by   nursepro 0 Votes
I was going to take the course in 2006 and too many life changes occurred for me to put it into my schedule. I have been looking for something else to do with my nursing degree and have always been interested in the legal field. My husband and I were looking into this course for me and after seeing the cost of the course we questioned the necessity of my actuallyrequiring a certification through the attendance of the Vickie Milazzo Institute seminar...I have already done some nurse consulting for medicolegal cases without a certificate. I am all about us being a nation that promotes Capitalism, but after reading the above comments, the red flags that were already popping up actually started waving. I will see how far I can get on my own.
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   Jaxnurse +1 Votes
I've been an ICU RN for 15 years, and was interested in this course 2 summers ago. I was tired of hospital nursing and was interested in law, so thought this would be a great way to go...until I read the negative reviews way back then. I found a Nurse Consultant course on ed2go.com for $99, it was 6 weeks, offered by an attorney who's wife is a nurse. It was VERY informative. I started out with the basics, sent some letters, networked a bit, tried to intern with a local LNC in my city (large metro city in FL), to no avail. Not even one response. BUT, I still loved legal issues, so got a new wave of motivation to get a Paralegal certification with a specialty in Torts/Personal Injury/Medical Malpractice. I got that at the local community college and it's been a wonderful boost in my credibility for attorneys. I'm still working at the hospital PRN, and getting ready to intern at a firm. Being employed by a firm specializing in those cases is a real bonus...plenty of work!

Now, the reality check: it doesn't pay a ton of money! Really, the attorneys are barely making that much as well. I'm finding the pay at just under what I'm making as an ICU per diem nurse. BUT, I love doing legal research and blending my medical knowledge with it. So, that's my input. I highly recommend searching the above website and taking the class (it will direct you to a local school for registration - it's completely online, you don't have to be a student there, but their name will be on the certificate). Good luck to all searching for a boost in your career!
 21st of Mar, 2011 by   Tdstoughton +2 Votes
I am a Legal Nurse consultant, a graduate of Vickie Millazo's program. I am still paying for the very expensive tuition. I would say to you to do your homework first. Are there enough attorneys in your area that deal with malpractice and medical negligence types of cases. I started working in the Atlanta, GA area and had some limited success. You see, I say limited because I never gave up my prn job as a nurse in the OR. Legal nurse consulting was something that I did on the side, and something that I felt that I could do when I retired from the OR. I paid for the expensive executive package, that included a week's worth of marketing training. I do feel that the marketing training was worth it because I had no marketing experience and the package came with a starter kit so that you can print off your own full color brochures and business cards. I have worked for 4 high profile attorneys in the Atlanta area. I also registered as a consultant with American Medical Forensics Specialists (AMFS) they basically do the marketing work for me. I am registered with them as a consultant, and have worked out of several southern states on several different cases for attorneys. AMFS is a service provided to attorneys looking for CLNC's in order to prepare a malpractice or neglicence type of case. The attorney calls in and requests a CLNC in their area of the country, and AMFS starts calling around to the consultants who are registered with them. You have the right to accept or refuse a case and are paid by AMFS for the hours that you bill the client. I was paid about $100.00 per hour and usually clocked in around 10 initial hours, for preparing documents for the attorney. So far I have never had a case go to trial, so I don't know what that is like. I would say that if you think that this is something you want to do on the side or part time, that you could probably make it work. But from my experience there is not a steady stream of work even in a huge city like Atlanta. I was glad that I did not give up my other job. However, recenltly I moved to a new city in the midwest and responded to an ad for an attorney looking for a nurse consultant, to prepare medical records for around 20 hours per week, on a regular basis. I don't know how much it pays, but it should be steady enough work that I can work part time and make what I do in the OR. I have used Career builder site to job hunt and have found several of my attorney clients that way. You can make it work if you market yourself just right and use several different avenues to get some work. I think from my standpoint that I have not been as huge a success as I thought I would be, however I have helped some very grateful clients win their cases.
 3rd of Jun, 2011 by   prevailing +1 Votes
I took the course with NALNC (National Association of Legal Nurse Consultants) for $650 about 2 years and I was very pleased with the course and the assistance they provided me (without charge) after I completed the course. I completed the course in 3 months from my home computer and received my CLNC certification which is recognized nation wide. I have not had a lot of work but I'm a full-time nurse so I only wanted something to work from home in my spare time and this fit my budget and turned out to be the best investment I've ever made for making money from home. The marketing tips and advice they provided with the course and after the course was well worth the expense and I've yet to find any information that actually helps us after we complete a course - unless you pay a huge price for it and take a risk on whether it helps. I recommend NALNC to anyone. In my experience and research it's foolish to spend thousands of dollars on a course that promises to make you rich - an instant success. And I give little or no credit to all those "Success Stories" and "Testimonials" you find on their ads and websites. Anyone can write those and post them on the internet. The best is the one you can find on YouTube from RN Market with the 2 ladies who claim they attended a seminar and came home and instantly "got thousands, hundreds of thousands of cases". Those two women need to be tracked down and fined for making such bogus claims about a product and the owner of RN Market should be ordered to remove that ad. It is WITHOUT a doubt a lie (hundreds of thousands of cases?) come on. People who believe that kind of crap deserve to spend all their money and stay poor, and have their faces posted under a wanted ad - wanted for misrepresenting the truth.

Susan Holden, RN CLNC (proud member of NALNC - nalnc.org
 21st of Jul, 2011 by   runlady +1 Votes
Hello, I am responding to the comment by Susan Holden, RN, CLNC. I am an RN from Colorado. On multiple occasions, I have considered getting the CLNC certification. First, I reviewed Vickie Milazzo's website and send away for her information. I am skeptical of her program, mostly due to cost of program and high risk of not getting what I am looking for. Like other RNs, I am discouraged by the current state of employment opportunities and endless politics that I experience with many of my past jobs. I want to venture into this new area, but don't know which program would be the most appropriate. I read your comment about NALNC and it looks like a reasonable possibility. I also looked into getting a paralegal certification to accompany my RN certification. If you see this comment, I would appreciate your feedback. You can email me at: runlady@comcast.net Thanks Bonnie Krim
 28th of Feb, 2012 by   tim RN 0 Votes
after a check of NALNC in the BBB website, the grade for them is F.Vicki Milazzo has a A rating
 19th of May, 2012 by   TXRI,RN,CCTRN 0 Votes
Many thanks to all who posted on this site! I have found much help in all the information. I too venture into this field. Many of the responses I have read have done so for the one factor we hold dear to our profession. The ethical dilemmas we face daily in our profession. knowing that many events are being swept under the rugs of corporate American hospitals, which have caused pain, grief and death to the patrons.
We vow to do no harm, and to be their advocates.
I too have been a nurse for many years, in many arenas. ICU, CVICU, and Critical care transport. Politics that cover up that which I am vowed to protect. Thus I now look for the avenues to help those of misfortune.. any suggestive courses are appreciated. THANKS!

24th of May, 2012 by   NaySway +1 Votes
Not every program is for everyone. I need a traditional brick and mortar school. I have requested the free information for Vickie's program. However, if it costs 4, 000, I know for sure I cannot afford that. Not all things work for all people. I say if you can't afford to throw away that amount of money, then you need to do your research and find something you can afford.
 9th of Jul, 2012 by   burghnurse 0 Votes
after reading some of the comments posted here, I checked on line and found one course that sounded good but cost almost $3000 and didn't have the marketing support and other add-on's it sounds like you get from some courses. Vicki's program can be financed, but I am not sure that I want to take on more debt right now (we just bought a new house in the last six months). I have worked in other fields before nursing including financial products (insurance and mutual funds) and they expect you to pretty much run your own business as well. I found out quickly how much work it can be and how ruthless an industry that depends on sales can be. If I do decide to start an Legal Nurse Consulting business, I would do it on the side for a while until my case load bulit up. Still investigating options...
 17th of Aug, 2012 by   dakota Cade +1 Votes
Ask vickie how many of her student's are working as a legal nurse consultants 1, 2 or 5 years after her training class. Not many are able to successfully get work as a consultant. The legal nursing consultant field is VERY limited. The field is over saturated thanks to Vickie pumping out 100's of Legal Nurse Consultants at each training session. How many LNC positions are available nationwide and how many LNC's has Vickie already "trained?" Now that Vickie is working in conjunction with Stedman Graham many women will unfortunately take Vickies course; as they think the course has the Oprah stamp of approval on it.
 10th of Sep, 2012 by   Rebecca Fridriksson 0 Votes
I have just enrolled in the Vicki Millazzo Institute. A couple things that worried me was the cost (14, 000.00$) & the fact that I had received a mailing from her company for 2, 000.00$ off... but no matter who I talked to..it would not be honored. I have worked diligently to get through the book and audio CD's. Just from what I have read, the book seems to be extremely informative. As to the price of the program?? Yes, i would have been happier if it had been less, but I will have to see if it turns out to be worth it for me. Everyone will have a difference of opinion I think as to wether they feel they get their moneys worth. I have always been more than willing to pay a higher price for anything i truely wanted or a service that was needed... as long as in the end I felt I received my moneys worth. As I have so far understood... this program is not guaranteeing me a thing... except the knowledge I need, being pointed in the right direction, people cheering your ego on (which is always a good thing) and being told it is going to be hard once I start putting that knowledge into action. I dont see at this point how any of that is misadvertising or misleading or a scam. As to the comment that people are being taken advantage of with her course...these are nurses who have enrolled in these classes, not uneducated off the street people. Anyone who would apply and pay without checking other options should only look to themselves to blame and not anywhere else. I live from paycheck to paycheck...it is not like I have a lot of money to blow... but if I can gain the knowledge and then work my hardest at putting it to work for me (which i plan to do), then be able to at least just work 1/2 the amount of hours that i presently do... then i can say it was worth it!! Only time will tell. Reading all of the bad comments initially had me very worried...then i stopped and thought about it & put things in perspective for myself. To anyone reading this... and trying to decide... just make an informed decision for what you feel is right for you. I go to Atlanta at the end of this month for the course... so I will try to make sure and write another comment on down the road after I have got going with this. As for the comment that the "field is over saturated"... what are you using to back that up? I have spent hours checking out online all the information I could find. Like everything... there is information that states there is little work in this area (no real numbers as to nurses who are working at this to date...because a lot work independently); then there are sites with information that talk of the boom in this area and projected increases for the future. (is the glass half full?? or half empty??) None of these sites had Vicki Millazzo name on it. I feel it will be like life...it is what you make it. I rarely write comments online about anything...but after reading some of these I felt compelled to also put in my two cents! And i will repost after i have taken the class which is Oct 1-8. Good Luck to everyone out there. Rebecca F.
 22nd of Sep, 2012 by   Mrs. MA -1 Votes
WHY do nurses ALWAYS eat their own??!!
 27th of Nov, 2012 by   california RN 0 Votes
After researching I decided on the course from www.californianursinglaw.com by Laurie Elston who is an attorney and an RN, her LNC is 3 days instruction on site and then further home study and tests. Its $1900 but classes are small 10-15 and includes mentoring after . I got thr recommended textbooks on Amazon as used textbooks (they look new) . I already took Laurie's 1 day California Nursing Laws class for nurses and it was great, so ooking forwards to the LNC class
 27th of Dec, 2012 by   mrgrn -1 Votes
I am about to take this coarse and unlike all of you that failed I will succeed. You will say I am an arrogant asshole but the reason i will succeed is not because I am the worlds best nurse because that role belongs to someone else. I will succeed because i have have a long history as a successful salesman. I am good at it. While the retired DR can boast of his success at the case review job he has they are the dying breed. The CLNC is the future. any nurse worth his/her salt can spot malpractice a mile away. And in my long nursing career I have saved countless Dr's asses just like all my sisters and brothers in this field have. Hospitals are where nurses save the lives in spite of the malpractice of the Dr's. Why you may ask am I going forward with this plan in spite of the negative posts It is simple I know i will succeed because i succeed at everything I attempt. You see after Marine Corps boot-camp every thing else was easy. Since no certification is necessary to do the job I have already started working on building my network. One thing I will tell everyone is you don't market your self to your city or even your state you need to think bigger. My friend took this coarse in 2010 and says she can keep me busy so i know I will have work but I want to do it on my own. as far as the cruse to re cert I look forward to a vacation I can write off.
 19th of Feb, 2013 by   shawnika +2 Votes
I too, am seriously looking into this field of nursing. This kind of work sounds like it would be a good fit for me, even if it didn't pay the $125-$150/hr that is repeated time and time again it the REAL NURSES / UNREAL SUCCESS marketing tool that I read yesterday. It certainly was motivational. I was fired up! And I really still am, except I'm guarded.
I know that you can go on line and undoubtedly find people that have had negative experiences with any product, place, person, business, cruise line...etc. Then there are the positive endorsements that make you scratch your head and wonder if they just (in this scenario) tried that much harder to create business, or if it was helped by who they knew, or are they are somehow being compensated for their reaffirming editorial?
So, I'm still confused. I have always been the one that wants to purchase the VIP package when it comes to going for something that I really want, (Not extravagances - I'm not at all materialistic, and I make things last forever!) because I'm worried that I would miss the extras that might make or break my success. It's that old "You get what you pay for" thing.
These are the only things I know to share with you: I read that CareerBuilder.com views legal nurse consulting as one of the ten hottest careers today. So I'm not giving up on this idea yet.
Also, I just want you to know that yes, as mentioned above, the LNCC exam is the only certification examination in the field endorsed by the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants (AALNC) & accredited by the American Board of Nursing Specialties (ABNS). But the The American Legal Nurse Consultant Certification Board (ALNCCB) requires the following, at the time of application, to be qualified to take this exam:
1) Current licensure as a registered nurse in the United States or its territories, with a full and unrestricted license
2) A minimum of five years of experience practicing as a registered nurse
3) Evidence of 2000 hours of legal nurse consulting experience within the past five years.
Those who meet the eligibility criteria and successfully complete the examination will earn the Legal Nurse Consultant Certified (LNCC) credential.
So...obviously you can't take the exam to have the credentials to get the work. You need to get the work before you can take the exam. Crazy huh, what a conundrum!
I wish I could talk to some impartial LNC's that are actually working in this field. If anybody has any suggestions...
 23rd of Feb, 2013 by   Expert NURSE +1 Votes
PEO-PLE! What are you doing, and what you are spending all of this money on??? THINK THINK THINK THINK THINK about it...does an attorney need someone who is certified as an expert legal nurse consultant, or an expert in his or her specialty area of practice? They DON'T want or need expert EXPERTS, they want and need expert NURSES! The most valuable expert witness is one who is knowledgeable and has expertise in his or her area of nursing practice. I have been doing expert witness nursing for more than 15 years and have consulted on cases all over the US...all by word of mouth. I have never once advertised my services...not even for my first case. I have more than enough cases to keep me busy. Attorneys seek out nurses who have expert specialty in their field, period. I have never once had an attorney ask me if I hold the LNC credential, and in fact, most don't even know what that is. You will be better served by developing expertise in your specialty area of practice, building your reputation as an expert through professional speaking engagements and publications in your specialty, and working toward certification in your specialty area of NURSING PRACTICE. And the money? Please...it is INSULTING to have someone else put a value on your expertise. SET YOUR OWN FEES based on what YOUR expertise is worth.
 25th of Feb, 2013 by   floreslawfirm.com 0 Votes
Expert Nurse above is right.There are some exceptions and I have nothing against the RN, JD' s out there offering courses and I preface my remarks by saying : more power to them. I have been in complex litigation for 12 years and an RN 25 years. No one cared less whether I was certified and I have worked with 6 of the attorneys who have gotten the top 100 verdicts in the nation and was trained and worked with 3 of them. Take it from me. I took a 200 dollar course in 1989 just to see what sort of chronologies and forms were used. It got me through law school 10 years later and subcontracting under a great LNC. I was making 30 to 40 an hour out of my apartment in law school instead of breaking my back in an ICU so I was happy. If anyone needs help out there, do what expert nurse recommends then get a listing of attorneys in your area who do pharmaceutical and medical malpractice. I did. Go to bar functions, pedal your cards, work the room, use social media and good luck. And you will Hardly even make 150 an hour reviewing charts, that will be testifying on the stand if you can get the work and any lawyer like me who has been in trial over 100 times knows that 95- 98 percent of cases settle.. Attorneys barely make that from insurance companies nowadays and most plaintiff attorneys if they hire you will pay you comparably to what you make as a nurse. To most nurses out there and I mean most, it is a supplemental income deal if you can get the work. Take this from a person in the trenches.God bless you all. I have lectured for NCSBN and have done all I can to help the nursing profession and defended hundreds of nurses in front of Texas Board and against healthcare fraud claims. I love what I do and I am happy for those who get something out of these courses, just watch the bottomline and be realistic about whether your return is worth it. Joe Flores RN, MSN, CCRN, FNP, JD WWW.FLORESLAWFIRM.COM
 29th of Mar, 2013 by   Brokenwing61 0 Votes
I am an ED nurse for some 17 years and it looks like I'm going to be a bit skeptical about this program I do need to make a change due to a crash that was life altering I love my ED medicine and someone said earlier yes we cover the doctors back far more bedside time then they can even justify so yes we make those life-and-death choices for our patients!! I have contracted all over the United States and for the Department of Defense and for the Department of Justice and it is so awful when you cannot raise an attending physician or any doc to intervene in a patient's care.. Yes we are worn-out burnout overworked Understaffed underpaid abused by patients staff and physicians. it is common knowledge the political pressure that is in the hospital setting is tremendous and unwarranted unneeded and our mission is forgotten it is patient CareFirst and the other oath that I believe our physicians made is forgotten !! So I will look carefully and thank you for all of your comments... Scott ED RN TNCC
 14th of Jul, 2013 by   bhk591 0 Votes
I have read through the comments on Vickie Milazzo's CLNC. I wanted to get a sense of other nurses experiences. I had already studied the packet sent from her institute and did get some sticker shock. However, the more comments I read I came away with two conclusions: Some nurses really do eat their young (or old as the case may be) and the program Vickie presents does have merit. I have done enough MLM, Tupperware, Amway and other programs to know marketing is a big key. But I don't feel that is any reason for some to spew acidic comments. There isn't a one of us who wouldn't like to come up with an idea which is needed and be able to build it into a multimillion dollar business. I paid $12, 000 to become a massage therapist and don't have access to near the resources offered by Vickie's program. The fact she went back and got a law degree seems a logical direction to build a solid foundation for her company. This is America, she saw a need, built on that need and developed a program that has benefited lawyers, patients and nurses interested in pursuing such a career. It takes a level of maturity to admit we don't all have the same levels of interest and skills. I still haven't decided if I will pursue her course but it won't be because it is a scam.
 3rd of Aug, 2013 by   checkpoint shirl 0 Votes
PLEASE do not take this coarse! The old saying "if anything is too good to be true, it usually is" is very correct in this situation. I have posted on here before . In April of 2013, my husband age 68 wanted to take the coarse and was very excited as he has worked many areas in the past in clinical situations but not legally. I will state this loud and clear. He payed 10, 000 dollars for continuous help from a member for issues he does not understand. He got depressed and I called and finally a woman called him...She told him to read the book and call and ask her any questions that he would be confused about. She never called back . For 10, 000 dollars I think that (she ) would have called at some point IN TIME to see if everything was going ok...Remember its her job since he paid the extra money to help him. This is so sickening I hope God will )turn Vicki s life around so that she sees what she is doing to others who as she should know, attorneys want to pay the least possible as they want to make money. I wish someone could tell me how my husband could get his money back. So sad. Please don't let the up lifting talk or the expression you got to work very hard., , , , , If that was all there was t it, then I KNOW the people on here who are unhappy would not have written unless they wanted to tell good things.This is the biggest scam as are many scams and what may have been good 20 years ago may not be the case now. I mean, how easy is it for a older nurse to get a job? How easy is it to get a hospital job? Just think it through and ask many, many people who are not Vickis friends.

Fight Against Healthcare Insurance Fraud