logo

TV9- Telugu
Case of Defamation
3. (23 mins ago)
IneedFinancialHelp.net
I paid and they didn’t give me a loan.
4. (34 mins ago)
Bagrrys India Limited White Oats
Contaminated White Oats by Bagrrys India Limited
5. (46 mins ago)
mypapergeek.com
They provide bad papers and copy everything from Internet

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Verizon Wireless Complaints & Reviews - Verizon Claims They Can't Disconnect My Phone

Verizon Wireless Contacts & Informations

Verizon Wireless

Posted:    boarderx

Verizon Claims They Can't Disconnect My Phone

Verizon Wireless
After using verizon wireless for the past 10 years, I recently switched to a prepaid phone (Tracfone). I rarely use my phone and didn't want the monthly bills anymore. After having my number ported to Tracfone, I called Verizon Wireless to have my service disconnected. After 30 minutes of trying to get my service terminated he came to the conclusion that he couldn't disconnect my service at that time and I would be required to pay for service until the end of the month. He initially stated that my contract states I approved of this, but I'm not under a contract, it ended years ago. He had me on hold (off and on) for a half hour and stated that everyone he talked to couldn't terminate service today. This is completely unacceptable. I would think if I don't want their services anymore I should be able to cancel at anytime. If I was under contract I would understand, but I'm not. I bet if I didn't pay my bills on time they would be able to cancel my service in a heartbeat. Ugh.
Comments United States Mobile/Cellular Service Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Jun, 2009 by   madmia -1 Votes
Geeze! Typed all this then lost it!! Anyway, your service should automatically terminate upon port out. Same number can't be active with two companies! Call Verizon cs, explain your situation, if not resolved request a manager, if rep tries to dissuade you INSIST then get your point across. Verizon does bill in advance, so this month is already paid. They would owe you a prorated refund less any usage charges, such as megabite usage, 411 calls, etc.
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   jhertz9148 -1 Votes
not sure who you talked to in the service center but i used to work for the company just ask to speak to a supervisor and they should be able to cancel you at anytime!
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   SuperVepr 0 Votes
Verizon is in league with Lucifer. I wept the day my beloved Alltel sold out.
 29th of Jul, 2009 by   mike -1 Votes
The Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement states: "Otherwise, all terminations by you during a monthly billing cycle become effective on the last day of that billing cycle. You'll remain responsible for all fees and charges incurred until then and won't be entitled to any partial–month credits or refunds. You may be able to take, or "port, " your current wireless phone number to another service provider. If you request your new service provider to port a number from us, and we receive your request from that new service provider, we'll treat it as notice from you to terminate our service for that number upon successful completion of porting. After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number. You'll remain responsible for any Early Termination Fee, and for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other termination. If you're porting a phone number to us from another company, we may not be able to provide you some services, such as 911 location services, immediately." The Customer Agreement applies whether you are in contract or not. So quit your complaining loser.
 10th of Oct, 2009 by   redbeard 0 Votes
Mike left out an important part of the customer agreement, the portion prior to the word "otherwise"...

AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE WILL APPLY IF YOU CHOOSE TO END YOUR SERVICE BEFORE BECOMING A MONTH–TO–MONTH CUSTOMER, OR IF WE TERMINATE IT EARLY FOR GOOD CAUSE. … If you terminate your service as of the end of your minimum term, you won't be responsible for any remaining part of your monthly billing cycle. Otherwise, all terminations by you during a monthly billing cycle become effective on the last day of that billing cycle. You'll remain responsible for all fees and charges incurred until then and won't be entitled to any partial–month credits or refunds.

This portion of the customer agreement seems clear. Someone terminating services after the end of their minimum term will not be responsible for any remaining part of their monthly billing cycle.

The agreement goes on to say:

You may be able to take, or "port, " your current wireless phone number to another service provider. If you request your new service provider to port a number from us, and we receive your request from that new service provider, we'll treat it as notice from you to terminate our service for that number upon successful completion of porting. After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number. You'll remain responsible for any Early Termination Fee that may apply, and for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other termination.

This portion of the customer agreement is at least confusing. It seems contradictory with the earlier section. Or is it? Does the phrase “just like any other termination” mean that one will be “responsible for any Early Termination Fee that may apply, and for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle” only if they have been previously determined to be responsible based on the earlier section? Or is the phrase “just like any other termination” in contradiction with the previous section where it was determined that someone terminating services after the end of their minimum term will not be responsible for any remaining part of their monthly billing cycle?

Regardless, Verizon does a disservice not just to their customers but also to themselves when the act like this. They have no trouble pro-rating the first billing cycle. They have no trouble pro-rating when someone changes their type of service during the middle of a billing cycle. And they can certainly pro-rate at the termination of service. They simply choose not to do so. In this way they alienate customers like boarderx who in the future might need more phone service and might have have otherwise switched back to Verizon and who is now perhaps unlikely to do so.
 13th of Dec, 2009 by   lavendar888 0 Votes
That just happened to me today. I switched to AT&T, not locked into the Verizon contract. They said I would have to cancel the requested port from AT&T and then, request AT&T enter a port request closer to the end of my billing cycle. Common sense told me, when it is over, it is over-no more payments. Verizon said the number is "suspended" not disconnected. They try to insult your intelligence. That is offensive to me. Acting like I am stupid and don't see through the game. I was a 11 year long customer with them. They do this for $ 30 bucks. Silly to me! Will think twice in the future about switching back to them. However, it seems you have to be careful with all cell companies and the fine details of everything you are signing up for!
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   user2 0 Votes
The same is happening to me now. My cell phone # has been switched to AT&T a week ago, and I don't have any contract with Verizon. Verizon says that even though I've disconnected their service, I still have to pay this month's whole bill because the billing cycle cannot be terminated before the end of the cycle.

This is ridiculous. Verizon is desperate in the competition. They will lose big if they do business like this.
 3rd of Jan, 2010 by   madmia -1 Votes
You know, Verizon does bill in advance, so yes, your number is in effect cancelled but you've already paid the month you port out in, hence the overlap. Do your port out at the end of your billing cycle. The bill cycle date will be 5 days BEFORE your payment is due, for instance my due date is the 9th of every month, so bill date is the 4th. Nothing insulting about it. Read and understand your agreement before you sign.
 6th of Jan, 2010 by   madmia -1 Votes
Wow! Had it backwards. My due date is the 4th, bill cycle date is the ninth. The bill cycle date will be 5 days AFTER your payment is due. Sorry!
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   DoneWithVerizonForever +1 Votes
Can't wait for Verizon to go out of business due to their scams. Had Verizon home phone, and request was made thru new company for home cell phone to port out number. Verizon waited TWO WEEKS to port the number, thus putting me 3 days into another billing cycle (on top of keeping my service for two weeks beyond my cancellation request). For this 3 additional days, they billed me $25 (when my entire monthly bill was less than $45, and I should have had a credit, not another charge). I have refused to pay the $25, and they now have me in collection process, which I have protested. Collection company says Verizon "verified" the charge is correct. What a scam! If they charge 100, 000 customers an extra $25, that's an extra 2.5 million dollars they are scamming, which most people will just pay to avoid collection. JUST BECAUSE VERIZON SENDS A BILL, DOES NOT MEAN I OWE IT!
 29th of Jan, 2010 by   aprettyfishy +1 Votes
Verizon blows. Same thing here.. I ported to Sprint in the middle of my billing cycle (no contract) & now they're trying to tell me my number is only "suspended" and therefore the bill is owed. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! I used to work for a major telephone company that would port in & out all the time... and the billing started & ended with the service provided!

They are scam artists! Just because they can afford a bunch of lawyers to create a bunch of confusing nonsense on their "customer agreements" that we lose interest in reading, they take advantage of their customers by nickle & diming them. As anyone knows, a few bucks here & there over A LOT of people really adds up! Why are they allowed to charge for service not used and why is no one looking into this!?
 11th of Feb, 2010 by   Sandy Gorham 0 Votes
1st - Did you know that Verizon applys minutes to your bill if you check your voice mail. I personally think that is wrong. 2nd - Their Palm phones are horrible. Within a 3 month period, I've return 3 phones due to not powering on. It took over 6 months before I was credited for one of the phones. Still waiting for credit. Was told by a supervisor that I was charged for all 3 phones until they received them back into their warehouse. Ask me how many times I have called their customer service department and got different responses..."We dont show that you were ever billed for the other 2 phones." 3rd - Has anyone had difficulty with the Family and Friends program?
 28th of Feb, 2010 by   Alteran 0 Votes
Its in the customer agreement not contract that charges for service go till end of month ev en with a port you must finish out the month you already started
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   PWR_BTM 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me today. Except I owe them for next month's bill. Seems to me that I will figure out my own pro-rate & pay what they are owed. If they won't tell me, I will calculate it myself.
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   PWR_BTM 0 Votes
However, I just called back to ask what the prorated charge would be & the woman I spoke with this time stated that I would be receiving an account credit for the portion of the month following the number port that I didn't use. I tend not to believe her based on the other stories I have heard but she insisted this was true. I suppose I will find out next week...
 13th of Jul, 2010 by   MartMart -1 Votes
To summarize all the posts here.

"I didn't get my way Verizon smells wah wah wah"

Crying gets you nowhere.
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   mcccmar 0 Votes
i am really disgusted with verison right now - I am getting off the wall bills for my service - although admittedly I DO have two teenaged daughters who I watch- but even so - a 400 a month phone bill is prohibitive to me - Im NOT doing this again at the end of my contract Im going to a prepaid phone or some other cheap option - all these kids need to have is a phone that rings so they can answer when I call - or that they can call me in an emergency - AHHHHHHHHHH ---- life with cell phones and teenagers
lol- well no- its not really funny
 22nd of Aug, 2010 by   cellphoneuser2010 -1 Votes
Shut up about verizon already. What company doesn't nickel and dime us to death? the united states is nothing but greed. corporations doing whatever they want to bend us over without any vaseline. BAM! You got Verizon'd. Just like anywhere else. Verizon is no different. You will not find a cell phone company that actually has the customers best interests in mind. Keep this in mind. This is how our country operates. Get used to it.
 22nd of Aug, 2010 by   MartMart 0 Votes
kids don't need cell phones, there was a time before cell phones existed and we all managed fine, yet suddenly we have cell phones people can't fathom being without them. Want a cheap way out of a bill mccmar, DON'T GIVE YOUR KIDS CELL PHONES!!!
 5th of Sep, 2010 by   Pissed in South Carolina 0 Votes
I have complained MONTHLY since Alltel left us and Verizon took over. We always have dropped calls at home, on the road, most anywhere and at anytime. I have complained to no end. They will not let you speak to management... there is never one there when you ask or so they say.My stupid self signed a 2 year contract with an idiot company, I should have known better with the damn "Can you hear me now commercials".I am always asking "are you there" or "can you hear me" or I have to call back because of another dropped call.One of their technicians said we have problems because Verizon REFUSES to work off of Sprint towers. We live in the country and thats how it worked in our area. Sprint itself won't work out here and I am not sure how the towers work but this is what I was told. Still after all the complaining and asking to speak to management that is never there they still want to charge me the full disconnect fee. My husbands contract expires on Sept. 21 2010 and they say his is still going to be 120.00. They are F*&^%$# CRAZY. I don't want to ruin my credit but they are just about to force me to.

Fraud Worrying Bankers