logo

Posted:    George

Scam and lies

Velvet Touch Kennels
teacuppoodles.com
In November '08 my family purchased a "tiny teacup poodle" from Velvet Touch Kennels. When we talked with the breeder, Janet Bordelon, she explained to us that the smaller the poodle was at maturity, the more expensive the purchase price would be. So we opted to spend the extra money to get a TINY teacup, which according to her definitions on her website, get to be between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 pounds. We paid $3, 000 for the puppy. The issues began as the puppy grew. Now six months later, the puppy is at its full size. It now weighs over 4 lb and is over 8" tall at the shoulder. According to Janet's descriptions, this dog barely meets the requirements for a regular teacup poodle. My husband called to speak with her about this matter, but Janet was rude and uncooperative. I was expecting more from a "reputable" breeder who we had spent thousands of dollars with. Janet's only response was, "Send the puppy back and I will refund your money." Well, as any dog owner knows, once you raise a puppy for a certain amount of time it becomes part of your family. I love the dog and my kids love the dog. We do not want to send her back for a refund. I did however expect Janet to see that we paid her for something that she did not deliver. I am not looking for a hand-out, but everyone expects to get what they pay for. ANYONE PLANNING TO DO BUSINESS WITH VELVET TOUCH KENNELS SHOULD BEWARE OF THE PUPPY SIZES BEING MISREPRESENTED.
Comments United States Pets & Animals
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Velvet Touch Kennels complaints
Velvet Touch Kennels - Liars

Comments

3rd of May, 2009 by   Roscoe 0 Votes
Tell me this, how is she responsible for the dogs weight and size? YOU were the one feeding it. And after all this, you say you like the dog and its now part of your family?!? What was the whole point of this rant anyways?
 4th of Jun, 2009 by   Kim +1 Votes
I agree with you totally, You should have gotten what you paid for, and if she wasnt sure about the dogs size, she should have atleast refunded you the amount that you overpaid to get the tiny teacup. She should have charged you for the regular teacup size.So in my opinion she owes you the difference. I understand you are happy with your new pet, but you expected it to be something different than what you got. Its very hard to judge a dogs size, so therefore with those kind of prices, she needs to make it right for you, and in the future dont advertise the tiny teacup, just the teacup, and then set a price for that size. I'm so sorry to hear about that, but I understand where you coming from...Enjoy your new baby!
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   karba +1 Votes
what is wrong with you Rosco!!! If you pay for a corvet and then get a scooter you have been scammed...
Janet has healthy poodles and has always seemed nice but her measuring if way off . You measure the dog from the floor to the shoulder and that is their height (teacups are 5" to 6" no taller and should weigh no more than 3 to 4 pounds tops...I have never bred a dog...but I have owned poodle for 42 yrs. The breeders over the yrs have become liars and thieves...it is very sad...they don't even tell the truth about height requirments...very sad ...
Rosco you don't know what you are talking about...3, 000. dollars she paid for that dog!!!

Kathy Montegro
 20th of Jul, 2009 by   johnith +3 Votes
What's wrong with you Karba!!! She paid for a poodle and she got a poodle. Your commenting about semantics. To imply that breeders have become liars and thieves is derogatory and it is no more acceptable than using slur names for those of different ethnic backgrounds or sexual orientations. The Seller, Janet Bordelon, offered a FULL REFUND in exchange for the puppy. The Buyer declined on the offer.
 29th of Aug, 2009 by   just looking -1 Votes
The buyer did not get what she paid for. Ms Bordelon presents herself as an expert on teacup poodles. (I read her website) She is putting herself in a situation that she is literally staking her reputation on.If she does not want to guarantee size then she should state that on her website . She should state that these are teacup puppies if you feed them this and not that etc. Come on!! The breeder should refund the difference between what she was charged for and what she received! Buy a grape tomato plant and then when they produce fruit you find that they are Big Boy tomatoes
Are you happy ? and plants are only about $3
Shame on Velvet Touch Kennels! She knows no one will want to return their pet!!
 9th of Sep, 2009 by   Pauline59 +2 Votes
Would you have been angry if you purchased a dog that was smaller than what you paid for? Would want to have to pay more after the fact. I think not.
Only God can tell you exactly what and who that dog will become. To slander for 8 oz or 1 inch is ridculous. Did you see the Mom and Dad? Or did you even inquire on their size? These dogs as she told us are for pet purposes. Is the dog a good dog, temperment, etc. that is the most important characteristic of a pet, not the height and weight requirement...
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   Poodle lover +1 Votes
Most breeders will agree that a poodle under 5lbs is a teacup. You have a teacup! It sounds like the poodle is long legged which is a beutiful feature in poodles. It is really hard to find a teacup poodle with a small head and long legs. If this is what you have you have a beautiful poodle. I beleive most people spend a lot of money on big headed, or short legged, or long poodles. It is hard to get a perfect shaped poodle when you go that small but even though these misshaped poodles are also expensive.
 25th of Oct, 2009 by   LoveDogs -1 Votes
If Janet guarantees the size as she does on her website, then she should refund the difference. It is crazy to say, "return the dog". It's not an item, it's a pet who is loved and doesn't need to be uprooted for Janet's mistake. It's cruel to uproot and ship a dog.

An 8 inch (at the shoulder) dog simply does not cost as much as a 6 or 7 inch one. Anyone can breed an 8 inch dog, it takes an expert and generations of breeding to get a healthy 6 inch 2 1/2 lb dog.

Since Janet advertises that she is an expert, and that the dogs have generations of teacups in their background, she should refund the difference in cost between a teacup and a tiny teacup, when the dog isn't what she advertises it to be. Actually, a 4 lb, 8 inch dog is approaching tiny toy, which cost about $500 on kiiji.
 9th of Nov, 2009 by   KA of New Mexico +1 Votes
I had two beautiful tiny toy poodles I purchased from a breeder in Florida back in 1983. My silver male was 4lbs fully grown and my apricot male was 5lbs fully grown. The breeder I bought my poodles from stated there was no such thing as a teacup poodle. Did you look at both parents of your poodle puppy? The breeder proudly showed me her kennel as well as both parents of my dogs. Another way to tell how big your puppy will be is by the size of their paws.
I don't think I would want any poodle smaller than 4lbs. Even though my poodles were 4 and 5lbs fully grown, I think anything smaller would probably be more prone to getting injured and sick, I had to constantly watch both of my dogs so they would not jump up or down. They made the best pets in the world but would not recommend to a family with small children. It is amazing how much these puppies cost now. I only paid $300 for my beloved Alex and $250 for beloved Spence back in 1983. I wish the breeder was still around but she was in her 70's back then and fear she is no longer with us.
Thank you for your time.
KA of New Mexico
 9th of Nov, 2009 by   KA of New Mexico +1 Votes
I did not mean to agree with the complainer. I have had no dealings with this breeder. However, after looking on many poodle sites this breeder's kennel seems to be the best by far and you can tell she really loves her poodles. Her poodles look very healthy and beautiful and if I were going to purchase a poodle baby I would definitely buy one from her.
You stated your poodle was 4lbs fully grown. This is still considered a tiny poodle. As long as your baby is healthy and happy, I think you have a great dog. Any poodle under 5 lbs will of course be more expensive. Thank you. KA of New Mexico
 1st of Dec, 2009 by   L Carpetner 0 Votes
You know I completely DISAGREE WITH YOU! Yorkies have been a part of my family for the last 35 years of my life. Let me just set things right. Janet Bordelon and/or Velvet Touch Kennels have the most TRUE TO YORKIE STANDARDS/MOST BEAUTIFUL/MOST HEALTHIEST YORKIES AND/OR POODLES of anyone that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and/or doing business with. I THANK GOD EVERYDAY FOR MY LITTLE HEALTHY ONE I GOT FROM JANET. Let me tell you this. It is a 24/7 job. Janet hand raises every puppy that comes from her kennel. I have been to her kennel a few times over the years and it is by far a home and not a kennel. If you have ever have the pleasure of meeting her you would know that she dearly loves her animals and stands behind her word/guarantee ALWAYS. If and when I have to get another Yorkie to add to my family YOU CAN BET THAT THE ONLY PLACE I WOULD GO TO IS VELVET TOUCH KENNEL AND/OR JANET BECAUSE I KNOW I WILL BE GETTING A HEALTHY/BEAUTIFUL/NUTURED PUPPY!

By the way, if you truly loved your puppy why would it matter that it may be a few inches taller or a pound heavier?

Matter of fact, I'm kinda of surprised that Janet even sold you a puppy. YOU SHOULD CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY THAT SHE DIDN'T SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOU!

Lisa C - Lafayette, LA
 29th of Dec, 2009 by   s seidensticker 0 Votes
I bought a teacup Chihuahua from Janet about ten years ago. Although it did get a bit bigger than expected, I credit Janet for providing a healthy little addition to my family. The dog (named her Chips to go along with her friend Salsa) has been nothing but a joy in our lives. Would certainly consider purchasing another from Janet in the future.
Sheilah
Florida
 21st of Jan, 2010 by   N. Levy 0 Votes
I do not know Janet, however, she has a wonderful reputation from all that I have heard, as well as an outstanding kennel facility. If I wanted a quality poodle, she is the first place I would go. No breeder (or anyone else) can be 100% correct on size when selling a tiny puppy. I have been a breeder for 30 years and I give a very educated estimate on the proposed size of a puppy, and I still get "surprised" from time to time. I think the buyer is being very picky about 1/2 pound. Maybe the dog is overweight, however, Janet offered her a full refund. I think this is more than fair. I don't know of any breeder that would have done anything differently. As someone else stated, when a puppy turns out to be smaller than estimated, no one ever offers the breeder additonal money because it should have been a more expensive puppy! This buyer is being ridiculious! N. Levy, Texas
 22nd of Jan, 2010 by   Vaughan Healy +1 Votes
No one can be sure what the size of a puppy at maturity will be. With breeding experience and knowledge of the parent dogs an educated guess is possible but even at that it is still a guess. Velvet Touch can guarantee it simply because they know that you will not return your dog. Velvet Touch is a mass breeding facility where many dogs (I think there are currently about 60 adult dogs showing on the site) are bred and where profit is the goal. The dogs are not genetically tested for diseases. The puppies may get some human contact but it is certainly not like living in a household. Velvet Touch is a glorified puppy mill.

On the other side of the equation are people who are willing to spend $3000 on a puppy because they are buying into the whole teacup concept. Toy poodles are very little dogs. A well built toy poodle will never weigh more than about 6 pounds and is more likely to weigh less. Janet at Velvet Touch is attempting to breed shorter legged poodles (she calls them "cobby") and the reason is just so they will meet some rediculous height requirement that people want in a teacup. They will not look like poodles anymore but apparently she doesn't care and neither do the people who want a 6 inch poodle.

If you want a very tiny dog, buy from a breeder who breeds the dogs to the standard of the parent club and choose a breed that is that small. Show breeders (which they have other disadvantages) will almost always be breeding dogs to meet the standard because they have to in order to have any hope of showing and finishing the dog. The standard for a Chihuahua is less than 6 pounds. Chihuahuas are the smallest breed of dog. Now why would you expect to be able to get a bigger breed of dog who is smaller than a Chihuahua? People have lost their minds about "little" dogs and the result is badly bred overpriced little dogs.
 24th of Jan, 2010 by   Bob and Helen 0 Votes
I disagree with the original complaint. I do not know Janet personally, but I have looked at her website many times. I purchased a tiny toy (female) poodle in December. My entire family was so satisfied with our puppy. She is gorgeous, loveable and healthy. In fact, we recently bought a tiny teacup male from Janet. He is so wonderful too! I can't imagine going to someone else to buy a poodle. Janet has always been so pleasant on the phone and willing to talk a long time to answer any questions that I have. I highly recommend her.

Bob and Helen Kazlauski
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   carol haben +1 Votes
I highly disagree with a buyer who would judge a dog by it's weight~height~length~The buyer is totally wrong in expecting a refund or ajustment on the price...I have raised yorkies for 40 years and will not sell to anyone that starts talking about they have to have there dog be a such tiny size, shape, length, ect...These type of buyers are the ones that take the happiness out of our dedicated profession...Janet is a top breeder of quality yorkies and poodles.I bought a beautiful tiny male yorkie from her a year ago and adore him and would buy from hr again with no hesitation...Carol Haben
 15th of Mar, 2010 by   Leona Clawson 0 Votes
I bought a tiny teacup Yorkie from Janet about 2 years ago and she is everything we thought she would be. She weighs in at 2 1/2 pounds on a heavy day, but we would have loved her at a heavier weight. She was socialized and loves to be with us. Our Yorkie is the love of our lives and if I ever get another one, I'm going back to Janet.
 17th of Mar, 2010 by   gidgielou@aol.com +1 Votes
Janet guarantees size at time of purchase. After buying and the dog gets larger, than she'll tell you no one can guarantee what size the puppy will be.
 18th of Apr, 2010 by   msclcgirls 0 Votes
I am buying my teacup poodle from another lady, who bought a teacup poodle from this gal, and has nothing but outstanding comments, on her and her kennel, and said it was the cleanest well taken care of kennel she has ever seen. Remember, pets can gain weight just like humans can, and a teacup is considered under 9, and under 4 lbs right? Im just curious.. best of wishes to everyone, and enjoy all of your gifts from god... be blessed, not righteous.. love, a lil lady from oklahoma
 4th of Jun, 2010 by   LJ Thomas -1 Votes
Difference in price between a teacup poodle and tiny teacup is roughly $1, 000...so the buyer should be refunded the difference in price between a tiny teacup (under 3 lbs) and a regular teacup (under 4 lbs) of which a good breeder is able to fairly accurately predict. Since this dog got bigger than predicted, the difference in cost SHOULD most definitely be refunded. It doesn't matter what you feed the dog, it's the dog's structure, etc. that determines the "size" of one of these teacup puppies, of which I have three teacup and one tiny teacup poodles... I bought one of my teacups from janet and the size was fairly accurate. Since she's a well known and thought of breeder, she should do the right thing and refund "part" of the money. No one can guarantee a size, but when you advertise a dog as a tiny teacup and it ends up being just a teacup, there is a difference in cost, which should be refunded if the customer requests... Nobody wants to pay more for something than what it is generally worth.

IRS Warns Of E Mail Phishing Scheme