logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Fairpoint Communications
deceit-billed for services don't have- holding my deposit- cancelled service-unable to talk to manager
2. (17 mins ago)

Posted:    kudos

BAD GASOLINE

ELIDA SALAZAR
Corpus Christi, Texas
I FILLED UP MY CAR TODAY WITH GASOLINE FROM A VALERO GAS STATION. WHEN I GOT TO DO ONE OF MY ERRANDS AND I WENT BACK TO THE VEHICLE. MY CAR WOULD NOT START. I HAD MY CAR TOWED TO THE NISSAN DEALERSHIP. THEY TOLD ME THAT THE GASOLINE IN MY VEHICLE WAS BAD. I HAD TO PAY FOR THE REPAIRS AND WANT TO BE REIMBURSED BY VALERO.

THANKS, ELIDA
Comments United States Gas Stations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Apr, 2009 by   ValerieShulder 0 Votes
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I'll tell you my story.

The gas I got from Valero had too much water in it. At least this is what I was told by the mechanic. So, I siphoned out a gallon of the gas and kept it, the rest the mechanic disposed of. It cost about $1100 for all the repairs to get my car running again.

Of course, Valero is no help, as they wont just pay out money on your say-so. So I contacted the Dept of Weights and Measures, who took a complaint and said they would get back to me. About a week later they said they had gone out, and tested the gas and of course now the gas is fine.. I asked them if they would test the gas I had saved from my tank and they declined.

So I just soldiered on ahead and took them to Small Claims court. The judge said, there is no way of knowing if the water came from the gas at the pump or if water got into my tank from some other source, so my claim was dismissed.

Anyways you should definately contact your local dept of weights and measures to complain and have them test the gas at the pump, maybe they will find excess water levels. But you wont win in small claims without more proof than I had which was impossible to get
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   ValerieShulder 0 Votes
oh yes and i even had the mechanic fill out a letter stating the gas was bad. but it didnt matter to the judge. maybe if you can get nissan to fill something out as well (but they may decline to get involved, my mechanic was at a mom n pop garage.)
 26th of Jun, 2009 by   Lois52 0 Votes
ME TOO!!! In Austin. I am currently completing a consumer complaint, which I am sending to the Austin and San Antonio Better Business Bureau, the local ABC affiliate stations' investigative reporter, the Austin-American Statesman. My advice: don't bother with yet another bureaucracy - take it to the agencies responsible for consumer protection. And send CC's to the following:
caroline.mowen@valero.com. My view: YOU don't have the burden of proof - they do. One of the points in my complaint reads as follows: << If Valero continues to deny my claim (including compensation resulting from all the additional time), I will require a legal document, signed by an attorney licensed by the State of Texas, stating that Valero is 100% fully certain, absolutely positive, with verifiable physical evidence, that there is absolutely no way their gasoline station could have supplied me with the bad gasoline that has caused so much difficulty. This letter will be made public.>>
 4th of Aug, 2009 by   lswin 0 Votes
It would be better if you gave the address and store number in this forum so people would know not to buy from these stores again.
 9th of Sep, 2009 by   IGNATS 0 Votes
hey guys! same issue here - $1, 404 in damages to my new car - not even 2 years old. i have a sample of the gas and a notarized letter from my dealer - contacted BBB, DEC, weights and measures bureau, and Valero Corp itself - valero has the lock down on this lying crap - we will never see our money and i will never go back to any valero gas station ever again. i learned that, apparently, valero is KNOWN to have contaminated gas...lesson learned a little too late!!!
 13th of Sep, 2009 by   Fire_1 0 Votes
Fact: Most of the general public do not understand that most gas supplied by their neighborhood "Gas Stations" is all the same and from the same supplier. The only difference may be the additives.
Fact: Unless the storage tank is nearly empty and has water deliberately introduced to it from an an outsode source, it is very unlikly to have enough water in it that would not evaporate rather quickly.
Fact: No! Valero does not have the burdon of proof-- YOU do! It is virtually impossible to proove how water in your tank came to be.
Fact: Not all stores displaying the Valero sign are owned by Valero. Unless the store says "Corner Store", it is most likely a jobber location (they have an agreement with Valero to provide certain services and products).
Fact: I am not, nor have I ever been a Valero employee. My father was an independant dealer for two major oil companies and I worked with him for years.
 6th of Nov, 2009 by   serendipity121255 0 Votes
I am going through the same problem...POOR QUALITY/CONTAMINATED FUEL...TESTED BY A REPUTABLE SOURCE! I have contacted 6 Valero "claims supervisors" and have been "dismissed" by all with not so much as an apology for the inconvenience caused. There MUST be something that can be done when so many customers have been "contaminated"!
 16th of May, 2010 by   andijtx 0 Votes
Twice I have been burned by Valero gas within a space of 3 months. The first time I thought it was the location, but it happened to me again in another city. Total for repairs so far is over $2, 400. Do not buy Valero gas! I also submitted proof from my dealership as well as a receipt fot the gas but have not heard back from Valero
 29th of May, 2010 by   ToddBlack 0 Votes
I recently went to this Valero gas station at 3909 Guadalupe Street, Austin, TX 78751-4522 where I filled up an entire tank of their so called premium gas. The next time I went to start my brand new sierra with only 2200 miles on it, it would barely start and blew out a thick cloud of white smoke. My first reaction was a blown head gasket or worse, a cracked head, but being so new it couldn't have been that. I took my truck in to the dealer where they found no engine error codes, and was told it was most likely bad gas. If you value your time and more important your mode of transportation I would avoid anything to do with Valero like the plague. Luckily the crap gas had done no damage yet. I will be filing a complaint with whomever I can, but the only thing that will ever work is to get the word out and tell people not to buy their cheap watered down gas. I'm sure the execs at Valero could care less about our complaints while they're still selling a bad product.
 9th of Nov, 2010 by   Mslk1lm 0 Votes
I've also has engine problems with it not starting the day after i had pumped full tank at valero with my 2000 Mercedes ml320 so I took it into the dealership. They found ran tests for 5 days on my car n finally found the problem n it was the gas. It was contaminated. I called valero n let the corporate office know and now they want the sample of the contaminated gas so they can run tests. But the owner of the gas station said that no else has reported such a case but me..maybe I'm the first one?
 25th of Jan, 2011 by   Nurse79 0 Votes
I also had bad gas in my 10 month old car-they thought it looked like E-85!! Lots of repairs and inconvenience. This just happened on 1/19/11 in Farmington Hills, MI. Anyone else??
 29th of Mar, 2011 by   KatMooreTx 0 Votes
On 3/21/11 I purchased gas from Valero Store, address 1764, 1116 N Hwy 377, Roanoke, TX. Within a few miles from the gas station I noticed that my car starting hesitating to accellerate at low speeds, and threatened to die when in idle. I took it to the dealership yesterday, and the mechanic pulled what looked like watered down tea out of my gas tank. At this point it looks like It's going to cost me $500 to get it fixed, but I won't know for sure until they get the fuel system cleaned out. I didn't know where to start to get started with my complaint and a request for Valero to reimburse me the expense, but it doesn't look like there is a chance that's going to happen.
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   badfuel719 0 Votes
I would like to warn the community regarding Diamond Shamrock (Valero) gasoline. I filled my truck fuel up for $75.00 at the gas station at 601 W US Highway 50, Pueblo, CO 81008, and not even 24 hours later my 2008 Silverado completely died and stopped running in the middle of the road! I had to have my truck towed to Spradley and the dealership told me that the fuel I had just put in my truck was mostly water. They even gave me a sample of the bad gasoline and said it caused my truck to stop running, because the fuel pump and filter, fuel injection plugs, and other parts were ruined from the water in the fuel. This cost me $492.33 out of my own pocket to replace the parts, because under warranty this is not covered due to the fuel I filled the truck with.

I contacted the company and made a complaint, it’s been 5 and 1/2 weeks and today I got a call back stating they are REFUSING to reimburse my money because they don't have other complaints that are like mine-even with the gasoline from the truck that you can obviously see the water to fuel ratio!!!

This is aggravating and something needs to be done! The public needs to be warned.. Also its impossible to speak to the president/CEO of Valero because there is no contact information for him (Bill Kleese)

If the media gets this story out and maybe investigates it, people will be aware of what putting this gas into your tank can do-especially at $3.59 or per gallon!
 29th of Apr, 2011 by   luisiscool 0 Votes
No wonder I don't see not even a single person purchasing gas from the Valero Gas station here in my town. Thanks to all you people for sharing your compliants because I will Never go to Valero. I will always stick with Chevron. Sorry for all the inconviniences that Valero has caused to you.
 18th of Jun, 2011 by   Hot Tokyo 0 Votes
No to VALERO GAS!!!
I have a Mercedes Bens 500, and the gas from Velero Gas station in Inglewood Ca. on Centinela and La Brea blew out my fuel pump, and alot of more problems...
My car would not start, at all!
Who do I complain too?
 26th of Jun, 2011 by   rmcclel 0 Votes
My wife filled our new Infiniti FX35 (only 3 weeks old) with Valero gas on 6/24/11 @ The Milk and More Valero
@ 2403 N Hervey Street in Hope, AR. She drove across the street to Wal-Mart to do some shopping. She came out, started the car and took off and it shuttered died and never started again. The car had to be towed to Little Rock, AR 2 hrs away to the nearest Infiniti dealer for service. My wife walked back to the Valero station and asked the cashier if they had any complaints of bad gas. The clerk said "NO" and gave her a number to the store gas supplier. The next day 6/25/11 the store was closed, yellow tape around the gas pumps and all of the pumps were bagged. No one there to answer the phone. I will find out on 6/27/11 if bad gas was the cause of the vehicles malfunction. I am sure that is the problem, why else would the store be closed.
 28th of Jun, 2011 by   Fuel-Testers 0 Votes
The sole reason (with 99% certainty) you all have had problems with (water contamination) at Valero stations is due to excess ethanol (alcohol) added to fuel and improper e10 storage. ALCOHOL ATTRACTS AND ABSORBS WATER. Ethanol blending tax credits/subsidies lead to a profit motive to over-blend ethanol above 10%. We (Fuel-Testers) receive hundreds of reports everyday from business/consumers who have purchased contaminated E10 gas - (Over-blended and water contamination/phase separation)- Warning: After phase separation most of ethanol is at bottom with water; Since high octane (113-115) ethanol is used to enhance octane for E10, the octane drops 2 to 4 points in upper layer: Do not discard bottom water/ethanol layer and run engine on sub-octane upper layer...Please visit fuel-testers or fueltestkit for more info - BTW, all stations have insurance for engine damage from contaminated gas sold...Corporate owned, major brand stations usually settle claims quickly to protect their image/reputation...Use credit card or save receipts; And of course always test gas ethanol percent, with inexpensive, re-useable, AFTK=Alcohol Fuel Test Kit, to find quality stations that always properly blend-in ethanol and monitor water levels in storage tanks daily...
 27th of Sep, 2011 by   SunshineGirl9 0 Votes
I too have pumped a bad tank of gas into my 2007 Prius. I submitted my claim to Valero's "customer service". They denied my claim stating that they had not other complaints therefore they are not at fault.
Really ? Maybe you could tell my car that ?
I will be submitting my claim in small claims court along with over $ 850.00 in repairs.
I will also be copying this thread of complaints to give to the Judge in our case. It's important to know what's happening to people all over the nation at the hands of a large corporation.
I will never buy their gas again. Facebook will also get my story as well.
 17th of Oct, 2011 by   I've got gas 0 Votes
Wife filled up our 2000 Subaru Impreza at a Stripes Valero store on Rodd Field road in Corpus Christi yesterday.The one nearest Saratoga Blvd. Pump #4 to be specific. We drove it less than 1 mile home. This morning the wife went for donuts about two miles away. I recieved a phone call from her stating the car would not restart after it became sluggish and died. It cost us $85 to have it towed to the house. I removed the fuel pump only to find it was completely clogged with a tea colored residue. I removed the fuel pump from the fuel tank and it too was coated with a heavy tea colored residue. The pump would not cycle when the key was turned to the "on" position is why I removed it to begin with. I replced the fliter with a new one and bench tested the fuel pump. It ran for a few seconds and locked up. I syphoned the fuel from the tank and it was laden with tea colored deposits particularly in the bottom of the tank. The tank itself was shiny clean on the inside.I phoned the store and apprised a young guy of the issue. He offered his concerns and stated that I should call to speak to a store manager the next day. He also notified me that the fuel tanks had just been topped off that morning and that I must have got the dregs from the last batch. I have purchased my last item from any retailer or convenience store that carries Valero gasoline. Period. I will not be persuing any attempt at futile litigation from the likes of what I have read above. I have more to do than argue with a brick wall about what I am quite sure is a fuel contamination issue from our last fill-up. Sweet dreams Valero and your Pi$$ poor quality control along with your rancid gas. OH and FYI, Flint Hills refinery in Corpus Christi produces ethenol free gas and it is sold at a few stations here in town. One being the L&M Suprette on Airline Rd. and I believe Rudy's Bar-B-Q on SPID. Cheers.
 3rd of Jun, 2013 by   JJB$ 0 Votes
Recently we purchased fuel at Valero and our car started hesitating almost immediately. My wife was able to drive the car to the house but then the car would not start again. I called Nissan Dealer and and they sent a tow truck to take the car back to the dealer since it was still under warranty (2012 Nissan Versa). I was told by the dealer the reason why the car would not start was because we were sold bad fuel.
I called Valero and they stated I needed to pay for the repairs and then to sent them the receipts and they would investigate. I provided Valero all the information they requested and now they do not want to pay for the repairs ($650) dollars.
The fuel was purchased in San Antonio, TX at the Valero Between Culebra and Bandera on 5/16/2013. I can't believe valero can get away with selling bad fuel to people and not taking responsibility for the product they sell. Another Customer who will NEVER visit valero again...

Simple Ways to Save $1,000