logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Edward Jones Investments
misrepresntation, fraud, seedy stock brokers
2. (18 mins ago)
Macy's Revolving Credit Card
Rip-off fees on revolving credit card
3. (27 mins ago)
Haband
Rude and nasty sevice
4. (29 mins ago)
Government of Tamil Nadu
Non receipt of ration card
5. (31 mins ago)
7 Eleven
rude worker

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

USPS, Bronx, New York Complaints & Reviews - MAILMAN REFUSES TO DELIVER TO *********

USPS Contacts & Informations

USPS

Posted:    Debbie70

MAILMAN REFUSES TO DELIVER TO *********

Bronx, New York
My mother resides in Bronx, New York and for the past several weeks, I have experienced numerous on-going problems with the delivery of FLAT RATE priority insured packages to my mother who resides at 765 COURTLAND AVE. I have contacted the 1-800-275-8777 in the past several weeks because the mailman consistently leaves a Delivery attempt notice (peach colored) PS form 3849 in her mail box when he has made NO effort/attempt to deliver the package to her *********. The reports have been elevated to the consumer affairs more than once.
The local Post Master supervisors have assisted in tracking previous packages however it boils down to the situation repeating itself again to where the mailman refuses to deliver any packages to the ********* (4th floor. It is of no significance to him if the letter is certified or the package is priority insured signature confirmation delivery. It’s been an extremely frustrating situation. If a re-delivery is arranged, the mailman repeats the same procedure of placing a 2nd Delivery Notice PS Form 3849 in my mother’s mail box.

I have been sending packages to my mother for years! The problem with packages not being delivered to her ********* just started in the beginning of July 2009

The last time the mailman came up to my mother’s ********* he intimidated her when he knocked with NO packages on hand to inform her “he's NOT authorized to deliver packages to her *********. “He's only supposed to RING the bell at the bottom of the building and she has to come downstairs!” My mother just listened and didn’t reply. She just informed my brother who passed the information to me when I called to follow-up on whether she had received the package I had mailed to her. This mailman behavior was totally unprofessional to say the least.
I am extremely disappointed with the USPS service I have received in the past few weeks and want to know if I may take any legal action, thanks!
Comments United States Government & Police
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Aug, 2009 by   Tina151 0 Votes
That's ashame, nobody wants to do their job today. My mailman complains about delivering packages with snide remarks. You would think mail people would appreciate the business since a lot of them might lose their jobs becssue the postal service is in trouble. I live in a private house and wish the mailman would just ring the bell and leave. I can pick up my own package outside my door, instead of being insulted when he complains about delivering the package to me. Workers are just plain lazy today, what gets me is that the mailman has a car to carry the mail now a days. How did the mail people survive years ago on foot?
 22nd of Aug, 2009 by   dlakers 0 Votes
He did do his job. She will not go down and sign.
 11th of Sep, 2009 by   ResolutionManager 0 Votes
I think there is a legal case here. Policy or no policy, the customer is paying for delivery of goods in a timely manner. The key word being "delivery", not notification that the package is available to be picked up at the local postal office. She expressed that the new mail carrier had made no attempt to deliver the package to her door. If she were a business, she would be treated differently. Many people whom are elderly or disabled cannot leave the fourth floor on a moments notice. If they can't make it to the door, what makes you think they can make it to the post office. You say not my problem. I say if it's not your problem, then it is no longer your business. Please refund my money and hit the road. There are plenty of alternatives however. If there is an office at her building they should as a courtesy receive and hold the packages for their tenants. And especially if it is such a common practice to for lack of a better term "nigger knock" and run. That is the practice of the common carrier today. It is bad customer service. If they do not want to deliver packages to the recipients door, then they shouldn't charge for the extra services. And to rebut dlakers, the question is not her will to go pick up the package, but the integrity of the U.S. Postal Service to deliver on an age old promise to do just that, deliver. One could tell the mail carrier to shove the notice up his/her ***, but it is plain to see that if they don't get off of their *** there's no way to get it in there.
 26th of Nov, 2009 by   CACTUSCOOLER 0 Votes
There is a well worn saying among veteran letter carriers that goes, more or less, like this; "I don't make policy, I just carry policy."
Such is the state of the USPS in recent years, sacrificing 'service' in every way possible in favor of expediting delivery methods. Faster is better should be the new USPS creed.
The Postal Service has taken the personal touch out of letter carriers' hands. Gone are the days when your letter carrier made almost daily contact with his/her patrons and was allowed to provide reliable service on a regular basis. This includes the following;
1. CENTRALIZED DELIVERY: The Postal Service has throughout the country, consolidated deliveries in both business and residential areas, and in doing so, has ordered letter carriers NOT to make door to door deliveries in many instances for parcels, etc. because it requires more TIME! Residential deliveries are made to "gang boxes" or NDCBUs(neighborhood delivery centralized box unit) instead of the old way. Thus, residents rarely see or have any contact with their letter carriers. The Postal Service sold this delivery method to the public with the deceptive argument: "if you change to this new delivery system, it will expedite delivery and you will get your mail SOONER and more EFFICIENTLY." No sooner had the public alowed the change, but the Postal Service made all the letter carriers' routes even longer because they now had more time due to the new delivery. So nobody gets their mail earlier or with better service. This problem is NOT THE FAULT OF YOUR LETTER CARRIER! They are under orders from their employer. Postal Service management is responsible for this lack in service, period!
2. DELIVERY POINT SEQUENCING:(dps) : This USPS albatross has sealed the ruination of the Postal Service. Automated presorting of all classes of mail has taken sorting efficiency away from your letter carriers forever. No longer are carriers able to figure out where the most horribly mis- addressed mail goes. No longer are carriers proud of their ability to deliver a route without errors in sorting. No longer can carriers assist in causing mail to NOT BE MISDELIVERED on a regular basis. The USPS' blind, and very expensive plunge into automation without having a clue how to set up a reliable system, without troubleshooting backups, without a maintenance plan that has any value, is NOT THE FAULT OF YOUR LETTER CARRIER! Thousands of pieces of First Class Mail is delayed daily in every station in this country as a result of this system. Peace!
 11th of Sep, 2010 by   Mnila11 0 Votes
Why in the world would anyone post their mother;s address on the web???To file a real complaint regarding a crime, such as stolen items from the mail, go to www.uspsoig.gov. It is evident that most people run to the internet and post stupid items of complaints instead of reporting it to the proper agency for a real investigation. This is what we get with the Facebook and Twitter Generation! Ya'll have no clue.
 11th of Sep, 2010 by   Debbie70 0 Votes
You sound like an extremely negative spirited individual. It’s my preference to write and post what I want to share what others. You have no authority to judge me and besides, I have nothing to hide and wanted to share the exact location of the incident. Perhaps others in that area confronted the same problem and by reading my complaint would be encouraged to take appropriate action and initiating a formal complaint through the proper channels. If posting the address of my mother upset you, I highly suggest you see your Primary Physician.
F.Y.I. Post Master came down and inspected the Post Office. I received a letter of apology. However, things shortly went back to the OLD way of doing business. Unfortunately my mother passed away a few month ago.
 21st of Oct, 2010 by   Rich Wicks 0 Votes
I have the same problem.

We just switch to UPS and have dumped the USPS as a result of this. If we're paying for delivery, it's got to be delivered, not just a 3849 form.

After arranging a redelivery, and MEETING my postman at the mailbox, that's all I got, another 3849 form. I figure the solution is to harass my post office to such a degree that they realize it's cheaper to deliver the package than it is to deal with me on the phone.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   sph3 0 Votes
The NYC USPS is the worst. They always leave tags without ringing the bell. I'm more than able bodied enough to go down and sign, if they would let me know they are down there. Too top this off they keep losing my mail. I've lost three packages and paychecks. In the past week alone they have failed to deliver a package from my mother and an item I ordered off eBay. Unfortuantely my mom doesn't have a tracking number, hopefully the eBay seller does. In the past they have also lost my paychecks. Obviously I don't have a tracking number for an envelope. Of course you can't go down there and ask for help. They're answer to the problem, "Sorry, if you don't have a tracking number then we can't help you." It's ridiculous. They act as if I'm making it up, like the said items never existed. I live in the 140's off broadway, be curious to hear from anyone else in the area that is having a similar problem.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   Regina Bronner 0 Votes
Mail refusing to deliver mail to our house in noth seattle (maple leaf district, WA stating that we have vicious dogs. We have two sweet dogs, one is 30 lbs and the other is 17 lbs. Mail slot is in our door and has been like this since 1953 when the house was built. He is claiming that the dogs will bite him thru the mail slot. He has a habit of tauting our dogs at the front window when coming to the house to deliver mail. He is rude and gave us a two day notice to put a mail box outside for him. We have a gate so the dogs will not run out the house when we open the door. Our dogs can't get to the door or reach the mail slot. He is lazy and didn't want to deal with our screen door. He had complained that our screen door was locked in the past, which it was not and we showed him the screen door was unlocked. And two other times he has left our mail out side on the porch and wind scattered it every where and that was a time when we didn't have any pets for a few years.
Mail man can be rude and unreasonable to stituations. We have always had pets in the 32 years living here and never had a complaint until this new mail man that came on board to deliver mail in our street.
Is there any law that protects the home owner against abuse from the mail man?
 1st of Feb, 2011 by   Beaverz 0 Votes
At least the mailman rang the bell. My mailman doesn't even check to see if anyone is home. They just slip you the redeliver form and run off.
 4th of Feb, 2011 by   Regina Bronner 0 Votes
I have had to chase him down and ask for our mail when he didn't deliver. I managed to speak to him and he understand and realizes that my dogs can't even get to the door. He also told me that his manager is hiper and won't listen to people. He is clue less! It is amazing that people like that are able to get a job like this. Post office should teach them how to behave around dogs and don't taunt them with mail waving infront of their faces and get them all excited. He admitted that my dogs never tried to be aggressive towards him. I feel that he is racist and picked us out because we are two women living in the house. The other houses on our block that have aggressive dogs don't have any complaints from him. Those dogs are also in the front yard and can easily jump the fense and go after him. My dogs are in the house! Im sorry to say this but he is an idiot, including his rude manager at the Lake city, Seattle post office.
Neither of them know how to speak to people.
 16th of Mar, 2011 by   Veronika in Prague 0 Votes
I am in total agreement with the first person which registered complaints about the USPS mail delivery service. I have been teaching and living in Prague since the fall of communism here in 1990 ~ first with the Peace Corps and then onto the Czech Public School System. I send letters and packages regularly to my relatives in the States (am from a large family) and have noticed that within the last 4 months (especially) my mail has not been arriving there as usual. Although I always pay priority airmail express it doesn't seem to matter. Items leave here on time and yet when they get State - side they are delayed up to 14 days or more. This is with a regular letter or a package and the fee is quite astronomical for postage. Although the items or letters have been cleared in customs at this side...the fact that they do not arrive to the destination is keeping me constantly having to file a "TRACER". And when it does arrive at State-side ... it simply states the item "arrived" ... no explanation .. no apology ... no feedback for my time, energy, and money in filing a tracer. Recent example ~ I mailed a package 14 days before Christmas at globlal priority (should have mailed it UPS or DHL beacause the cost was of little difference). The package arrived 14 days AFTER Christmas ... although it left Prague and cleared customs on the 11th of December. Present example: I mailed a beautiful 90th birthday gift to my mom (in Texas) two weeks in advance of her birthday . It departed Prague and was cleared in customs but has yet to arrive to her home ... and this is now over 2 weeks ...sent priority express airmail.
Each time I attempt to put a tracer on a package or a simple letter to the States from here... it is always showing (via the USPS tracking and confirm) that such had departed here on such and such date... yet when I call a representative there in the States, the confirmation information suddently changes to a different date. Otherwise, they are apparently altering their information immediately upon my complaint. The representatives who do answer the phone ... after the extensive menu and the "declaration of privacy law" have been rude, totally of non help and at for most of the times I've called I have yet to speak to one who even has a command of the English language (that at least I can understand). I don't know how many others of you out there have been experiencing similar problems...but I believe it's time we all do something about this. Am in contact now with my Congressman and Senator from Texas and hope this might lend an insight into the problems. Feel free to contact me regarding this problem . As to "Mnila11" note about it being "stupid" to relate one's email on this site...I am shocked by this person's negative remark ... as this is a site where we SHARE information and hopefully can find solutions. If not, why complain? If you have experienced similar problems and possibly have found solutions after all the websites of USPS and their officed and have experienced a remedy to just some of the problems as I have described, please email me and let me know HOW. My email is: veron2005@volny.cz
 17th of Aug, 2011 by   I've had enough of it 0 Votes
USPS just has miserable service. I have had to go on a package search for the past month, with 6 redelivery claims and 4 complaints. Still nothing was done. Today I get a slip from USPS and the fools over there cant even get the dates right. What pisses me off the most is, if I paid for delivery (door to door) I shouldn't have to go to my local post office to pick up my parcel. I dont even feel sorry for the layoffs that are about to happen to the workers, they dont do their job anyway.
 24th of Aug, 2011 by   mailboxlady 0 Votes
Have any of you ever considered being NICE to your mail carrier? A few new scratch off lottery tickets. How about a $5 bill and a thank you note OR a $10 Starbucks Gift Card? It dosen't have to be much- it's the thought that counts. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...your carrier will be so shocked and suprised! You would not believe how much good will being nice to your mail carrier will generate. It may take months of you being nice before you notice anything different but your patience WILL pay off. I used to be a mail carrier and until you walk a mile in someones shoes, don't complain. Ask to job shadow a carrier and good luck keeping up!

CACTUSCOOLER is totally correct. The boss of your mail carrier (and the boss over them) is the reason why they can't climb flights of stairs to deliver mail. It simply takes too much time. Can you IMAGINE how few households would get their mail if a mail carrier had to climb stairs for every customer in an old building with no elevators? Carriers are NOT lazy- just doing what they are told to do so they don't lose their jobs.

Be glad you get delivery to your building...the Post Office is consolidating more and more. It's just a matter of time before most mail is delivered to a central location and everyone has to go there to get their mail.

Posting details about your mother on line is just plain crazy.
 18th of Jun, 2012 by   heath2011 0 Votes
I live in queens and I have the same problem. Our elevator is out of service and so he just left a slip, he even wrote "elevator out of service" so he can't use stairs? I paid for delivery, and I do not have time to go to the post office this week, to try and get the post office to care is impossible.
 2nd of Jul, 2012 by   lauralu 0 Votes
I disagree with mailboxlady... I am having my own set of problems with my carrier that I cannot seem to get resolved with USPS. I have tried being NICE directly with him before having to escalate things to higher levels. When his superiors questioned him about my complaints, he admitted to everything; yet he is still employed. Now things have gotten worse. I have been in the restaurant business for almost 20 years... no matter how nice or rude a customer is, they are exactly that, a customer, paying for a service to be delivered, no pun intended. Yes, being nice may eventually help the situation, but I should not have to go out of my way to be overly nice to someone to get them to courteously DO THEIR JOB. And "walk a mile in their shoes"? HE picked his profession, his customer did not pick it for him.

I will agree with the point that the original posting using personal details of one's mother is crazy.
 27th of Mar, 2013 by   JoanMatthews 0 Votes
point in fact: some postal drivers are just plain lazy. If my mail contains even one small package he will leave a note saying that the mailbox is too full and it has to be picked up at the mailbox. Rather than delivering it to my door, or leaving the mail and taking the package alone to be picked up, he takes ALL of my mail!!! I think he's just a bully. It's odd that my neighbors and parents who live in the same city get their packages delivered straight to their door. And NO, , they do not leave gifts or tips. Having worked for the USPS in the past I know what the job entails and they are just lucky to have a job in today's economy. It's a service they should take pride in having. If they don't want to do their job they should give it to someone that would happily take it..like me!
 12th of Sep, 2013 by   Rain07 0 Votes
Here in Creswell, Oregon mail lady carrier has not delivered to my door in 5 plus years. I figured the postal service did not deliver to door's anymore, until I saw her deliver to my neighbor a month ago. I live only 2 houses away from the mailbox and She just leaves a attempt made to deliver in the neighborhood metal mailboxes. I had priority mail come 2 days ago and had to go get my package. I complained about it. I was expecting 2 more coming today. I waited by the door and when it was almost 5 pm I checked tracking online and again online says attempted delivery and left notice.
Below is the information I got online. I need these packages, I am disabled and can't get out all the time.
Priority Mail Express International™
Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available) < yet I was by my front door all day.
September 12, 2013, 2:55 pm
SPRINGFIELD,  OR 97475
Depart USPS Sort Facility
September 11, 2013
SPRINGFIELD,  OR 97475

This is BAD BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. If the mail lady is not going to do her job, they should not charge the extra money for the service. There should be a refund of some of the money!

*****I agree, I would never ever leave my moms address online! That is horrible. She said enough by saying the area and that it is a 4 story building. She leaves her mother up for harrassment. Someone crazy on the internet could mail her mom something bad, scare her. Really not good. She needs her head examined for doing such a thing. Also, she should edit her comment above and delete her mothers address off this site and any other site she left it on. Bet her mom would be appalled to know her address is out on the internet for everyone in the world to see. Maybe the daughter should post her address as well? Stupid move.
 13th of Sep, 2013 by   Mark in Houston 0 Votes
Enough already for blasting the guy for writing his mother's address in his explanation of the poor service performed by his mother's USPS mail carrier. Apparently you didn't bother to read his follow-up post regarding this matter, otherwise you would have learned that his mother has since passed away. So give your scolding a rest. Furthermore, why you people act so concerned over something so benign truly reflects how naive you are. Obtaining Information such as a person's name and their current address requires nothing more than a connection to the Internet. Wake up and smell the coffee, for crying out loud.

Fake Check Fraud