logo

Posted:    Krystle2009

Worst Insurance Company Ever

USAA
Lanett, Alabama
A little less than a year ago, July 21, 2008 to be exact, our home burned down due to what the fire department claimed as a faulty stove. My husband contacted USAA not long after the fire to report the claim on our insurance. Since then our fight has just been a down hill spiral. We had 3 different adjusters at first, 2 of which were extremely helpful and basically felt our pain of losing everything. The other one, the cause and casualty adjuster could not have been worse. He looked at me and my husband like we were rats. About a month after the house burned down we got a call from our first adjuster telling us that the insurance would be paid out and we would be getting a check within a week. The next day he called to let us know that the check would have to wait as I had not given my statement to the cause and casualty adjuster to date. A week later, I gave my statement only to hear that it could be 4-6 weeks before everything was processed again. 2 months went by and we hadn't heard a word from the insurance company, by this time, we've bought new furniture and settled into a rental house, but now we have, not only our old bills but new rent and furniture bills as well. Our bills started piling up. We got behind on our rent, due to the insurance not paying on time and eventually had to move out of this house because the landlord could not wait any longer on them. We moved into a rinky dink duplex and lived there for a month while having the same problems, the insurance would not pay out. By this time, 5 1/2 months have passed and we have barely seen a dime from the insurance company and we have yet to hear a word from them. Christmas was coming up and my husband and I were to the point of filing bankruptcy due to the fact that we could not make ends meet because of all the bills piling up. We had to take out cash advances to buy our son anything for Christmas. And all this time, we're still fighting with the insurance company. One day we'd hear that it was the stove's fault, they were going to sue GE for a faulty stove, the next we'd hear that they had never said that and that they would continue investigating. We had even contacted an attorney for assistance, we wrote the insurance commissioner, we did everything we could thing of. Right after Christmas, the owner's of the duplex we were living in sold the property and the new owners decided to evict everyone so they could remodel and raise the rent. So now, our third time moving, we rented another house on a short term lease as the insurance company has told us that it should only be a few more weeks and we will be receiving a check. Those few weeks pass by only to be followed by a few more weeks until finally our lease runs out and our landlord has all ready rented the property to someone else. By thsi time, we've gotten mixed statements from our NEW (by this time our 5th) adjuster who says to my husband one day the decision was made to pay out and then 2 days later tells me that my husband is a liar and she never said that and to think any different then I am crazy. Here we are not, almost a year to date since our house has burned down and I got a phone from Stephanie, our adjuster, who rudely stated in a voicemail to me that our claim has been denied and we will be receiving a letter in the mail. One year, a year of fighting, and suffering and we won't see a dime. After being insulted, called liars, and told that we are stupid by customer service, treated like criminals during the whole investigation, no assistance, and no caring. We just lost everything, our entire lives were in that house and they show no compassion. What kind of business can do that?
Comments United States Home Insurance / Warranty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jul, 2009 by   USAA 0 Votes
Krystale,

My name is Tricia Phillip, and I'm part of USAA's social media team. I'm so sorry about the loss of your home. I can't imagine how difficult this past year has been for you and your family.

I've asked our claims department to review your file and contact you. So that we can reach you, please send your member number and the phone number where you'd like to be reached to socialmedia@usaa.com.

Tricia Phillip
USAA Social Media
 24th of Jul, 2009 by   Jennylyn 0 Votes
We feel your pain. We are going through almost exactly the same situation with USAA house insurance. We lost our house back in August 2007. They kept promising us and nothing came or no calls from them. They also later avoided our calls and did everything by letter. After almost 1 year after the house fire, they turned everything against us. We decided to take our issue to a Lawyer. Our Lawyer plans to sue them. He said that it may take 1 to 2 years. I don't care how long it takes, I ain't going to let them get away with dening us for something we didn't do. I suggest you do the same. Get a Lawyer. They will keep dragging you to nothing.

Sincerley,

Jenny from Texas.
 21st of Aug, 2009 by   Erh 0 Votes
I agree. They are a horrible insurance carrier to have. I was the victim in my car accident and somehow I lost because the other party that was at fault hired an "accident reconstructionist" and changed his story around.
Before all of this happened, they were not returning my calls and helping with the situation. Then they turned their back on me. I thought that they were supposed to be our advocates? I had to hire an attorney to make sure that they were acting in good faith.
 3rd of Oct, 2009 by   rademer 0 Votes
Not only are they a horrible insurance carrier they really come close to crossing the line of hiring indentured servants. I worked at USAA for almost a year and they are definitely a modern day sweat shop. One thing in particular that drove me crazy was how they treated the India workers that contracted there. Those Indian workers are the hardest longest hour workers I have ever met. They did most of the grunt work and the American workers went to meetings all day and took credit for the Indian workers work. These workers are scared to death to say anything because they are afraid to lose their VISA's. One example an Indian worker had made vacation arrangements to go back and see his family in India because his sister was having a child. He had not been back to his country in over 2 years, and this trip was planned early and everyone at USAA was fully aware. About a week before he was scheduled to leave they forced him to cancel his vacation and gave him no alternative time to go. When I left the company he still was not able to go home. Most of the American people that worked there started working there right after college, their first job. Salaried individuals are required to work at least 20% overtime and you are constantly attached to the job by a phone that they require you carry with you at all times. Don't get me wrong, if someone is paying you to do a job, you should do the best you can, but if that business feels your job is more important than your family, then they can kiss your ass. I hope that one day the FBI uncovers the indentured servitude that USAA undoubtedly forces on these poor humans.
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   USAAistheworst 0 Votes
I used to work at USAA in the property damage department and have to let you known that it is in their very intention to not pay some claims. They have constant meetings about how to detect fraud, how to catch liars and deny claims, how to ask the right questions to verify if a member is hiding information and only just one a year or so... if the phones aren't too busy and they have the time to do it, about compasion. I work for a wonderful insurance company now whose number one concern is the members. Please take the time to look around because if you're having problems like this they don' t deserve your business. Even when I worked there I refused to have their insurance, sure its cheap but so is the service.

Glad to be out of USAA
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   USAAistheworst 0 Votes
One more thing... they should drug test more often. There is a long history of employees being fired due to selling drugs on the USAA campus and even then there were coworkers, in my group of 10, at least 8 stated they did some type of drugs. Why would they only drug test once (during hiring) in the many years I as there I don't know.

Foreclosure Scams Prey on Homeowners