logo

US Cellular

Posted: 2011-02-01 by    JJ88

Wireless internet billing

US Cellular
US Cellular has what's called the belief plan. It is centered on the belief that their customers are stupid.
I had a US Cellular wireless internet plan that allowed 5 GB of data exchange a month at a flat rate. Overages were set at a certain amount per MB used over this plan. I check usage religiously on my computer to make sure I never go over, and, in the five months I had the plan, never really came close.
The bill for January comes in and it shows overages to the tune of $200. I immediatly call them to dispute the claim. This is a story about the series of lies and misinformation various employees told me.
The first person I speak to tells me that the usage information I get from the 'Connection Status' screen offered in the software that comes with the equipment is inaccurate and shouldn't be counted on. So I ask her to tell me what my usage is for the current billing cycle and also for the billing cycle before the one being disputed. Both values are within 3% of what my "inaccurate" connection status screen showed. That lie didn't work, so they put me on hold and send me on to the next guy.

The next guy also tells me the connection status screen is inaccurate, but he has a different reason. He tells me that it is because that screen is only showing me total data received. I clarify this by asking him if he means that it does not show total data sent and total data exchanged. He says yes that is what he meant, so I proceed to tell him the screen shows three rows of usage. One that says total data sent, one that says total data received and finally one that says total data exchanged. His response, incredibly, is something along the lines of "Hey that's just what this other guy told me." Good to know the poor business ethics is pervasive over there at US Cellular.

The last person sticks with the inaccurate connection status screen, but also has a different strategy. She tells me that I must have unplugged the equipment from my computer because when one does that, it resets all the usage rates back to zero. Well, I've never unplugged the thing, but I asked her to hold on while I unplug it and restart my computer. What a surprise. The connection status screen didn't reset to zero kike she said it would. The number was the exact same as it was before I unplugged it.

When I disputed the bill, they call back five days later to tell me that their "thorough" review shows that their information is correct and that I owe them the $200. Uh huh. I don't know why they don't do that to everyone if there is no way one can honestly dispute the claim.

US Cellular, like any wireless provider, doesn't really care about their customers. They make so much money they could care less about any of us. We're all going to have to accept that, but what I can't accept are the outright lies these people tell you in their belief that you are completely stupid. I'll pay the broken contract fee to these criminals, but they won't get the $200. And neither I, nor my wife, nor my eight children will ever spend a dime with this corrupt company again.
Comments United States Internet Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Mar, 2011 by   amyinWI 0 Votes
I had the same thing happen to me, although, I didn't even know about how to track my data usage. When I called to dispute the charges they "generously" gave me 1/3 off of the $200 charge. I called back this morning after checking my bill and trying to figure out how I could have gone over so much on my data plan. The rep I talked to this morning put me on hold for 18 min. so SHE could figure out where I could find my data usage online. Ends up the only place I can check usage...on my bill for the month! Sorry but that doesn't help me after the fact. The answer I got from the second person I talked to this morning was that I was actually getting "a good deal" because the overage cap saved me from having to pay $600. What a load! I filed a complaint with the FCC this morning. This should be illegal!
 21st of Jul, 2011 by   mc87613 0 Votes
I agree. I used to have a Blackberry and switched to an Android. The customer service rep never informed me that there was a limit on how many gigabytes you could use per month. I had $400 dollars worth of excess charges for two months and then they decided to shut my internet off because I was using too much data. The customer service rep told me that nothing was different about the Android and so I just skimmed the contract before signing. I haven't really used the internet THAT much and didn't even know I should connect to a WIFI. Now that I know, I have tried to connect but I keep getting disconnected each time. I went to the store and they were not only rude but couldn't tell me what the problem was and how to fix it. I have looked at other companies and most have unlimited internet access. I'm trying to get out of my contract and switch. I have been with US Cellular for over 10 years now so they just lost a loyal customer.

Website Hijacking. Know who are dealing with!

Latest Groups