logo

Usbizdata.com
Worst customer support
3. (28 mins ago)
Mbi - Probiller.com
Charged me monthly for something I don’t know.
4. (1 hr 11 mins ago)
Sleepy's - Kingsdown Mattress
Kingsdown give up making mattresses!
5. (1 hr 12 mins ago)
monthly youth
payout checque

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Urban Development Solutions, Golden, Colorado Complaints & Reviews - Scammers!

Urban Development Solutions Contacts & Informations

P.O BX 18324, CO 80402
Golden, Colorado
Phone: 303-6748252
www.urbands.com
A black guy was going from door to door in my community trying to sell magazines(February 8, 2008--a Friday) for: URBAN DEVELOPMENT SOLUTIONS, INC. Usually, i don't buy things at my door. But when he stated, some of the proceeds would be used to pay for his and others education, feeding, etc i decided to buy. My neighbor standing nearby blinked at me not to buy, but i still went ahead thinking it was for a good course. Later that night, i went online to view the company's website, i had a different story from what i'd been made to believe. I was upset, tried calling the company over the weekend, but no one to talk to. Finally on Monday, got hold of the Manager, Joseph whom i explained all this too, and he promised to cancel the order with the information i gave to him, gave me a fax number which i finally sent the copy of my receipt to the next day. But i never received my check back as promised and in late February i sent a copy of the fax by mail to him. But then last week (mid March) i found that he went ahead and presented the cheque. Called him, and he denied ever speaking to me, never received a fax, and that he only received the fax copy i mailed in late February. But when i told him i had a copy of the fax that stated the fax was sent and i was going to make this a big issue, then did he say he received the fax and that my refund would be sent when i send my statement stating the payment was made.

I've made up my mind never to help this way anymore, i don't care if the contribution is for a worthy cause or not. This is a fraudulent company and my homeowners will be getting involved to make sure door -to-door soliciting is prohibited in the community especially with this company.

Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Apr, 2008 by   Chris 0 Votes
I got scammed, but in another state. There are a couple of hundred complaints in my state now. When I looked them up initially, they were clean.
 28th of May, 2008 by   Sabrina 0 Votes
I agree. This company is a bunch of scammers! I ordered magazines from 2 girls who came to my door telling me that Urban Development helped young unwed mothers, the website states otherwise. But that wasn't the reason I ATTEMPTED to cancel. I ordered the magazines OVER 7 months ago and have not received one! I have leave messages and messages and have received not so much as a call back. Oh but when I was asked to sign the check, the company could be found! What makes this so sad is honest people like me who want to help out our youth are made suckers of and will NEVER help again!
 16th of Jun, 2008 by   Michael C 0 Votes
I just bought a subscription from a guy who had a great story, getting his life back together after a lifetime on the wrong side of the tracks. I made check payable to Urban Development Solutions. Once he left the house I decided to do a check on the company and came across this site and also checked them on the BBB website. Bottom line, too many complaints, while I wanted to help the guy I didn't want to get involved with a company that has a history of complaints and poor customer service. I managed to find the guy before he left our neighborhood and retrieved the check. I appreciate the heads up on this company, too bad they're not legit.
 19th of Sep, 2008 by   tammy richards 0 Votes
i recently came across two young woman at my door soliciting for a good cause...i usually dont do anything threw door but these two woman were in desperate need of help with chikdren so i wrote them a 2000.00 a peice. i honestly disagree with the allegations that your trying to throw at urban developments solutiobs and i gota ll of my magazines in fashionable manner!!!
 20th of Sep, 2008 by   Bradley Smith 0 Votes
I feel as a full time medical college student that you have so many differbt looks a solicting persiods. I have once work for URBAN DEVELOPMENT SOLUTION over the summer and i feel as if this was a great organization to help young people out that really dont have the obligation to do something better with there lives. I feel as if this company are very legit and are very well standard conditions. When i joined this company over the summer i really didnt need to joined it being that my father a judge and my mom a bank manager, so it wasnt like i needed the money or support for the company. but not only that i really wanted to see what the company was all about and was it really was made up of scams. and with me being apart of this great organization i do not feel as id this company are a scam, i just feel that its a company to give people second chances in life.
 20th of Sep, 2008 by   Bradley Smith 0 Votes
I feel as a full time medical college student that you have so many different looks at solictiors period. I have once work for URBAN DEVELOPMENT SOLUTION over the summer and i feel as if this was a great organization to help young people out that really dont have the obligation to do something better with there lives. I feel as if this company are very legit and are very well standard conditions. When i joined this company over the summer i really didnt need to joined it being that my father a judge and my mom a bank manager, so it wasnt like i needed the money or support for the company. but not only that i really wanted to see what the company was all about and was it really was made up of scams. and with me being apart of this great organization i do not feel as id this company are a scam, i just feel that its a company to give people second chances in life.
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   Cheata Murphy 0 Votes
This so-called company is a bunch of BS!!! This young black man came to my door mid July and gave me a sad story about second chances and if I believed in them. He caught me on a good day and there was ONE magazine that he was selling that I was willing to buy. He didn't mention that I wasn't going to receive the first copy of my magazine for 120 days so after a few weeks went by and I still didn't receive anything in the mail, I called the company. I talked to a lady on the phone and she said that they weren't selling O.K. magazine anymore and the Interview magazine was chosen in place of it. WHAT THE HELL!!! Not only was I not receiving my correct magazine but instead of returning my money back to me, this company thought that they could get away with just picking out another one for me. So the lady I talked to told me to fax to her a copy of my ALREADY cashed check with the receipt number on it and a letter explaining why I wanted my money back and it would be went back to me within 4-6 weeks. Well, the time has passed and I have checked the mail everyday expecting a check. Today, Friday October 17, 2008 I came home from work and what do I find on my kitchen counter? A COPY OF INTERVIEW MAGAZINE!!! The fact that it showed up on a Friday makes me even more pissed because I can't call anyone to complain until Monday morning. It's companies like this that makes it hard to help anybody that really needs help. It's too bad that there are people like this in the world. I hope that somebody from this company reads this because I will be taking legal actions to get my money back and put you out of business!!!
 23rd of Oct, 2008 by   Albert 0 Votes
Samething happened to me tonight!!! The young gentlemen told me he was from Detroit trying to earn his GED, and that he did not want to end up like the rest of his friends. I felt bad considering the fact that I myself came out of the Bronx. I almost bought $500.00 worth of magazines from him for my business. Fortunatly, I did not have any business checks on me. I turned around and bought a personal subscription for 26 months for a total of $93.o0. As I wrote the check, something did not sit right in my stomach about the whole deal. I became more worried when he brought up the fact that if I were to cancel the check that it would come out of his pocket. I also asked him where his ID was and he had explained that he had accidently left it in the car which was to far away. After he left, I decided to do a search on the company and was extremly disturbed at not only this site, but police records on individuals consulting for this company. I have not only canceled the check right away, but have also contacted the police for them to look after the neighborhood for these individuals. It's getting harder and harder to trust people now a days!!!
 13th of May, 2009 by   carla Snw 0 Votes
I work for this company now! It has saved my life and given me a chance where no one would. For ther people who do not use this opportunity to change, it is there own fault. We work to help young adults change their lives for the better . To learn something new, to meet successful people who came from the same backgrounds. People seem to forget about these young adults just because they have made some mistakes in the past. The people who organize these companies are only trying to give back to the community. As far as this being a scam people should understand that people are trying to do something positive to create a better society as a whole. most people forget where they come from and how hard it was to get where they are now. The young adults in these programs are just a reminder of what people behind the doors where when they started. I am from Chicago, Il i have done this for a year now because i know for every ten people that join we help at least 5 make a change for the better. And when they go home the have a skill in communications that they would have never known or ever thought to find out about in the inner city. these young adults are learning to speak publicly and can now hold a conversion with people from all acts of life, from the poorest to the richest people in the world. and thats more than we can say for some of our most influential people that we have in offices across our goverment.
 17th of May, 2009 by   Bradley 0 Votes
-Hi, Carla this is Bradley Smith that worked for the organization last summer around this time. I don't know if you fully remember me or not but I was the guy with the hazel eyes, you guys called me the "rich kid". well how is things going with you guys? i hope well, its strange because i was just wondering the internet tonight and decided to check on this website and decided to read the comments and luck up to read you comment. well im just going to make this short, i will love to get in touch with someone there in the organization to just check up on yall, i am currently in Costa Rico until December but will be back in the United States then. cant wait, lol.. but hey when you see this comment or if you do please -feel free to give me a called on my cell 704-904-8161, thanks please call within two weeks because after that i may change my number again because it publicize to the public now, but hey take care!! wish you guys the best of luck, and once again this organization is really a organization that really help kids that came from not so good areas as others. ( if you get sent to the voice mail, just leave a message with your number and i will get back in touch)
 18th of May, 2009 by   The Truth 0 Votes
Company rated "F" (unaccredited) by the Chicago Better Business Bureau (rating url below).

Maurice came to my door and "sold" me a magazine. The "stories" here of people who have been "helped" are fake. Maurice is a one man show (listed as "President" on the better business bureau site) who created a very simple website to give himself credibility and then comes to this site which is unaudited and writes stories which also attempt to give him some credibility. He IS a magazine salesman but is NOT being honest about what he's doing.
 18th of May, 2009 by   The Truth 0 Votes
Murderer and Rapist employed by Urban Development Solutions (link below). !!DO NOT LET THEM IN THE HOUSE!! I want the best for these souls but the safty of my family comes first.

anted_9

Statutory Rape
Location: Forest Lake, Minnesota
Date: May 17, 2006

Urban Development Solutions:
Quario Deeric Dozier told an officer that he sold magazine subscriptions for Urban Development Solutions out of Grosse Pointe, Mich.

8th of Jun, 2009 by   Anne 0 Votes
A guy from Nigeria just came to my door from this company. I did not buy any magazines, but he gave the same talk as described above. He seemed nice, but...I took his name/email/phone number. He said he had some education in Biology and is taking courses in Health Management...don't know...but after reading above, I'm very glad I didn't buy anything. I hate companies that take advantage of their employees...
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   PA state complaint 0 Votes
I supported the guy that came to my door last night. Then I went online today and found out the magazine that he charged me $4 per issue for can be ordered online for only $1.25 per issue! Needless to say I also contacted the company to cancel. If you choose to support them be careful of what cost/issue they charge you!
 20th of Aug, 2009 by   msshelterstar 0 Votes
These people were at my job trying to recruit shelter residents. The alledged owner's name is Rodney Rankins 313/320.3335 or 847.863.7943. Contact him or give his information to someone who can stop him.
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   D in MN 0 Votes
I purchased subscriptions for two magazines with three-years terms at a cost of over $200. It took 5 months to get the first issues. Then 5 months later, I was told by the magazines that that my subscriptions were ending in 2 month. So I paid for 3 years, and received 7 months. This is a scam and a ripoff. If these people show up on your doorstep, slam the door and call the police.
 5th of May, 2010 by   daishi360 0 Votes
Yeah, these guys are a useless company that is wasting people's time and stealing their money. This well-dressed black guy came to my place and gave a very identical sob story to what I have heard here...he even went so far as to say that he wishes the Judge that sentenced him way back in his shady past had been as compassionate as myself! What a load of crap! This is some canned story that these guys memorize so that they can sell magazine subscriptions for 5 times more than they are supposed to cost because they trick you into thinking you are helping some poor lost soul get back on their feet. In reality, this is a for-profit organization that is using their sales agents to get them more money than they could normally get by being honest. At least the guy that came to my door was actually decent; he looked me in the face, smiled, had a firm handshake etc, didn't use any slang when talking to me. But hey, it looks like some of the other salesmen have been rude or outright forceful in their sales techniques. This guy did want to come into my house to ask my roommates if they wanted any mags--my roommates, having the advantage of not getting brainwashed by his speel (I was outside mowing the lawn so I had talked to him for 10 minutes before bringing him inside) went bug-eyed when they say I was bringing this random guy into the house. Bottom line is he got 87 bucks off of me for a 2 month subscrip to motor trend. After seeing in here the difficulties people have getting their magazines at all, I have sent in my cancellation notice and stopped the check at the bank. Now lets just see if he gets pissed and comes back to rob all my stuff, since he already has been in the house...
 13th of May, 2010 by   annabelleleigh 0 Votes
Be Aware of UDS Criminals Lurking in Your Neighborhood!
This is an excerpt from a Police Blotter in a Stamford, CT paper on Saturday, May 8, 2010:

Residential Burglary: Two men selling magazine subscriptions door to door were arrested Friday (May 7, 2010) on burglary charges after a woman reported jewelry missing from her Rosano Road home, in Stamford, CT.

Paul S. Keller, 18, of Indianapolis, and Gordon Waldron, 24, of New York, were charged with third-degree burglary and other charges after police said they discovered Keller in possession of the missing jewelry.

The woman discovered the theft Friday afternoon after returning to her home and finding a broken window in the bathroom. Police interviewed the victim and witnesses and determined two men had been seen in the neighborhood soliciting magazine sales, according to police. A search of the area located the men on separate nearby streets.

Both men identified themselves as employees of URBAN DEVELOPMENT SOLUTIONS who had been dropped off in Stamford to sell magazine subscriptions, according to a police statement. Neither had a Stamford solicitors permit, and each was detained.

Keller was wearing and in possession of several articles of jewelry, which the victim later identified. Waldron denied working in proximity to Keller, but witnesses identified him as being with Keller near the burglary scene.

Keller was arrested and charged with third-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit third-degree burglary, third-degree larceny and soliciting without a permit. He was held in lieu of $150, 000 bond.

Waldron, ALREADY A FELON, was charged with third-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit third-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit third-degree larceny and soliciting without a permit. He was held in lieu $100, 000 bond. Both will be arraigned in state Superior Court in Stamford on Monday, May 10.

Stamford police contacted Urban Development Solutions CEO and President Maurice McClain, who indicated Keller and Waldron were subcontractors of the company. Police advised McClain that if any UDS agents participated in further solicitation without a permit, it would lead to their own and McClain's arrest. The company, based in Detroit, is currently operating out of a hotel in Meriden, Gallagher said.
 24th of Aug, 2010 by   J Albrecht 0 Votes
I too have experienced a similiar situation. Approximately three months ago I was approached in my neighborhood by two young black men, dressed in ill fitting, crumbled suits. They looked like life had not been easy for them. One couldn't of been more than 15 years old with an old knife scar across his face. Under normal circumstances I would not of given them the time of day but they were very polite and full of tales regarding the opportunities available to them through this company. I realized that I was paying alot more for the magazine I purchased but admired the fact that they were supposedly doing something positive to improve their lives. I just now decided to google this company after realizing that the magazine was overdue. It is rare that I give in to such solicitations, I vow from now on to never do so again, how sad!
 2nd of Mar, 2011 by   seasprayholdings 0 Votes
Had one of thier sales reps come into my home here in Georgia today. Just like the above, felt bad for the guy. He was well dressed, articualte. As a mother, I felt compelled to assist in which I did. The subscription was way overpriced but I placed an order for a two year subsciption anyway, since I thought it was a good cause. I left the house to get some dinner with my family and low and behold when I return. The sales rep was in HANDCUFFS by the local police on the sidewalk. We live in a nice nieghborhood with no crime. My husband is going to get the information tomorrow from the police dept. and file a formal complaint with the State of Georgia and the Better Business Bureau. NEVER AGAIN... After seeing the above comments, someone should ban this company.

Outrageous Prices in the Health Care System