logo

Posted:    law

Harassment

United Parcel Service
Virginia
Inside UPS - What did brown do for me?
As a former employee of UPS, I felt a compelling urgency to write this letter about discriminatory and harassing work conditions that are practiced and tolerated by management within United Parcel Service Company.
There is an individual - known within the organization as the hatchet-man - who worked/works as a Division Manager for UPS buildings: DC, Springfield, Newington and Alexandria. On a daily basis he singles out and viciously targets, African-Americans, Hispanics and female staff. He verbally intimidates and threatens the jobs of his subordinates, undermines their efforts to complete assignments, belittles them in front of their colleagues and staff. His behavior in formal settings such as meetings has been witnessed to escalate and cause stress related medical symptoms in staff. The list of people he harassed over several years is enormous. . His actions have been reported yet continue to go ignored by his superiors, HR and top management. In fact, his interrogational style is supported as hardnosed and effective. He is allowed to discriminate against whomever he wants because he has no direct oversight. Projects have unreasonable timeframes for completion and outcomes. His behavior is vindictive, and personal attacks are implemented against those who do not conform to him. Information is not effectively communicated so that you are not informed about changes in meetings or deadlines and then he uses public forums to ostracize lower level management staff. Personally, I have required return visits to my physician who considered returning me to medical treatment for hypertension during my length of time working there. These harassments are documented with HR and UPS Employee Complaint Line. Although many people have complained - including myself, repeatedly - nothing has been done about this person. I know that my complaints led to my termination, but no matter how much I complained to HR I was never heard; my cases were never investigated. I was subsequently terminated by the organization and denied unemployment in November of 2008 for an offense the organization categorized as grounds for dismissal and refused to allow mediation.
When people like this individual are allowed to rule as he does, it creates a fearful and abusive environment. I witnessed it first hand and feel it is important to expose the truths about such happenings because people - who are afraid to loose their jobs or to speak out - are still being abused by his actions. My constant complaining led to my termination and no investigation was ever conducted on my behalf. I have sent complaints to the UPS complaint Line and EEOC to report such happenings but no action was taken to resolve this. I know these actions continue to go unmonitored, therefore, I want others to be aware that this oppressive behavior affects the daily lives of those persons suffering at these locations.
When I applied for employment at UPS, I came on board with an extensive background (26+ years) as a Computer Programmer. I was told that I had to earn the IT jobs and had to take a series of tests to qualify for an available position after a year with the company. In the interim, I worked as a package scanner making $9.00/hr. After a year, I tested for management and wrote a letter to the head of Human Resources stating my expectations and goals. Each year as required, I wrote a letter requesting the opportunity to be considered for a position in the area of my expertise but did not receive a response. When I questioned the rationale for not being given the opportunity to be considered as a candidate for positions in the informational technology division I was informed by HR that they are "special jobs" and not everyone has the qualifications as a candidate. I further asked if all candidates with a background in Computer Science have to start as non-technical worker before they could transfer, I was not given a definite answer. In response I forwarded this question to EEOC to investigate. As of today, I have not received a response.
I, like many of his other victims, are not getting the help or support we need to stop this type of behavior. I realize UPS is a private company and they can select whomever they choose but I feel that without having been informed of their policies or protocols in writing, as well as verbally by the human resource department I question the integrity of this practice and I have been denied my right to opportunities. It is my expectation that those responsible for regulating unfair practices, such as the Department of Labor, should do something to assist a person that was obviously harassed and discriminated against. I intend to send this letter to all that will listen until I am offered an appeal.
Please note that I have a list of persons willing to testify and persons who were abused mentally and quit rather than deal with the company unjust politics. Also, since I worked as a Safety Specialist for the company I have knowledge and witnessed violations of OSHA laws in which many of the documents that OSHA reviews were falsified to appear compliant. I can easily prove this information since I maintained the books and witnessed such activities.
There are so many truths that should be exposed about UPS, harassment/discrimination and noncompliance that strongly exist and are not being addressed.
I look forward to intervention to take place on my behalf and those who remain at UPS.
Sincerely,
Lawanda R. Davis
301-237-2478 (cell); 301-497-9804 (work); Ldavis6532@aol.com

Comments United States Bullying and Harassment at Work
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

23rd of Apr, 2009 by   daylight82 +2 Votes
I feel for you. UPS is a freakishly cold and arrogant company. I work for the Customer Service department and all we are told to do is shrug the complaints off and reply with TEMPLATES and CANNED RESPONSES. It is a company with a dead and unflexible personality. Reflects on the management staff too. I just stay here because I have no choice. But given the option and the resources, I will resign. That's all I have to say.
 7th of May, 2009 by   MrTexas +1 Votes
Mrs. Davis,

I understand your plight of disgust towards UPS. I have been a driver for them for the last 4 plus years. I was terminated after a dispute with my driver supervisor when I refused to "play fetch" after a package that he tossed from one side of the truck to the other. Management sided with the driver supervisor and I was terminated. The sad part about it is my shop steward I believe is actually one of them because he doesn't put up a fight when they do something wrong. At my hearing I was prepared for their nonsense and used the company policy against them for which they were not accostumed to or had little or no knowledge of. I broke down that contract and hit them where it hurts and they offered me my job back but they didn't pay me for the time that I was fired. If I'm not mistaken we work/worked in the building and I believe that I no exactly the supervisor that you are referring to. If I don't say so myself he is an idoit and you are right they don't stop him from his plight of madness. He has left a trial of harassed employees. I to have filed a charge with the EEOC against them and look forward to calling them out when the light is properly shined on them. I think I no exactly who you are. I think we need to speak in further detail...
 13th of May, 2009 by   aggreved in LSVL +1 Votes
As a union employee at Worldport, I agree with these posts. It appears that managment personnel make the rules up as they go, with catch all phrases as " failure to follow management instructions", as well as deny, lie, delay, and maligning the truth etc. I have a similar situation, just started with a warning letter generated by my area part time supervisor who does'nt care for me at all and the feeling is mutual. However I've always treated him with the same respect and courtesy as he has given me. I'll start this week to resolve the problem with greivance procedure, then HR and see what happens. May be looking for another job myself before this is over. Thanks for getting your message out, we need more people like you getting the truth about UPS 's inside underhanded dealings with their employees.
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   accountability +2 Votes
I worked for UPS for three years, two and half as a supervisor (Upstate New York). They break every labor law imaginable. I had to file a sexual harassment suit when my boss called me on a vacation week. 3 times in 24 hours, two of which were at 1am and 3am and he called me a "f-in cu*t". They have such uneducated package handlers working for them that they don't think anyone knows the law, and that they can treat people like dirt. And it's sad that they get away with it.
The harassment charge to them was a joke. They didn't care. And I'm not a millionaire so I couldn't get a lawyer.
They've got so much money to brainwash people with advertising that surprise, it works! Advertising and brainwashing is the name of the game now'a'days. Not laws.
I would NEVER ship or support this company in ANY way.
To prove a point managers would throw dell computers around the warehouse. They would scream that they would f***ing kill employees every single night. They would talk about f***ing females in front of the 10 females in the entire warehouse.
Seriously, it is the grossest company I have ever known of.
If any employee brought in a camera, or if anyone actually did a real audit of UPS in upstate NY, they would be shut down without a doubt.
I would testify in anyway I could be of assistance.

Oh yeah, and concerning customers. They refused to give out a number. I worked in the office sometimes with clerks, and seriously customers are an annoyance and joke to them.
 4th of Dec, 2009 by   Consumerpwr +1 Votes
I have to tell everyone that UPS was the worst place I have ever worked. I
am a retired decorated veteran that worked for UPS in management and it was
a nightmare to say the least. I found UPS management to be dishonest,
deceitful, and incredible disrespectful to their employees. I was not a
proponent of the union but I am now. I encourage anyone who is seeking
employment anywhere, especially UPS to only go if you are going to be in the
union. To all others I request that you use anyone but UPS for your
shipping needs. I would recommend that you request USPS or FedEx when
purchasing on line. I cannot in clear conscience support an organization who
treats their people so poorly. I was warned before I went to work for them
that if you are looking for money that was a good place to go but if you are
looking for a good place to work then FedEx was the place to go. I really
thought I would find both at UPS but did not find either one. Their
management is paid less than hourly and treated much worst. I'm back in the
real world again and loving it!
 11th of Feb, 2010 by   USPSBlindsided +1 Votes
I too have been harassed by USPS management. I had an on the job injury and from the day after my injury the supervisor was telling people he was going to fire me. I don't get it he was going to fire me for pulling a muscle. I was called a cripple and harassed on a daily basis and 3 days after filing an EEO complaint I was fired. I'm determined to see this complaint thru to the end and file suite if necessary to reach a suitable conclusion.
 10th of May, 2010 by   al.... +1 Votes
dear all,

did you take UPS to court? If yes, what happend, if no, why not?

I am in the same situation and planning to do so. please let me know...

Thanks
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   Driver_Steve +1 Votes
I was terminated from U.P.S. after 24 yrs. It is a long chain of events, but be prepared for U.P.S. to postpone your hearing/court date for as long as possible. The company will try to starve you out for as long as they can. In my case, it took over 4 yrs. to get an arbitration date because U.P.S. claimed they were not ready. I worked as hard as I could for this "Brown Family", yet they treated me like this. Very sad.
 26th of Jun, 2010 by   upsdriver74 +1 Votes
hello im a ups driver and had to take time of, due to stress and back injury, ups bully and and threaten drivers, ups in london r having serious probs with driver not coming in because of the treatment, we need to fight back im sure theres 1000 of people feel the same, the boss sees blind because the more stops we take the more money he gets, i think u have to b very sad person to see people suffer so u get more money,
 27th of Jun, 2010 by   son of Jerel +1 Votes
ups is a very abusive work enivorment. I too am subject to harassment on a daily basis. I have three supervisors. All three tell me to do stuff if one supervisor assignment is'nt worked on. Because another supervisor told me to stop that assignment and do their assignment. I get yelled at by the first supervisor because the second supervisor told me stop. I respond don't yell at me your counter part told me to do this. Everyday I have to deal with this it's f*&+ing crazy.
 27th of Jun, 2010 by   Driver_Steve +1 Votes
UPS employees can take some satisfaction knowing that one day these abusive supervisors and managers will leave, (fired themselfs or retired) knowing that when they are gone, no one will ever call and say hello. I have seen some harass their employees their whole career, then when they leave UPS, nobody ever calls just to say Hi. To me it is sad to work for a company for 25-30 years and leave and NOBODY wants to ever see, talk, play golf, or even care about that person. I hope that the money that they made will want to watch a game on TV with them sometime. No ex-employees will ever call !!
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   Jackie Mars +1 Votes
I feel for you. Nobody should have to work in that environment! I am going through something very similar, only my male supervisor hit me. (I am a female) I waited about a month and a half to report this supervisor to my HR Dept because I didn't even know what a real hostile work environment was, but he would not stop harassing me. HR pretended that they did not believe me, and my situation got worse. 3 other pople have left in less than a year, and they have 3 different complaints. I hired an attorney and filed a complaint with the EEOC. What is going on with America? There is absolutely no reason to cause innocent working people so much unneeded stress and depression.
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   Driver_Steve +2 Votes
One word of caution Jackie. At UPS you should report any incident THAT day. UPS will question why you waited for a month before reporting your problem. If you ever get hurt on the job, UPS will try and convince you to wait until tomorrow, telling you that you may feel better. DON'T WAIT. If you come in the next day and say that you do not feel better, UPS will claim that you could have hurt yourself off their property. Fill out an accident report that day, and if you find that you do feel better the next day, then you can void the accident report. Good luck on your situation.
 14th of Jan, 2011 by   UPSJOKE 0 Votes
I 100% agree with all comments made on the company ups. I'm going through similar problems right now as i speak. I am very tired of being spoken down to, harrassed, and intimadated. I see and agree with all of these comments but something needs to be done NOW. I am ready and willing to fight for my people and myself. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and fairly. Ups must have ties with this eeoc organization beacuse nothing is getting done. If someone reads and agrees with me please comment and maybe we can do something serious about this b/c im just sick and tired of it and will go to all ends to make things right!!!
 22nd of Jan, 2011 by   Brown out +1 Votes
To all, seem ups is getting away with too much, In our building they are going after the older women tell us that if we can not lift 70 lbs they will disable us. They are putting us in jobs that are too physically demanding after having us do lighter work for years.I personally have been harrassed, fired about 5 times already and have pissed off many ups managers by knowing the contract too well. In all the years working for them I can't figure where this freakish work ethics originate from, seems like a cancer throught out the company that is just full of miserable idiots. I used to get fired up mad at every twisted encounter with ups doing something adverse towards me now I just look for ways to go right back at them with what ever I can .If anyone has suceeded in making a change write to all of us about it.This big brown company will someday fail no matter how many billions they make the world will not keep putting up with the crappy service, the bad attitudes, the smashed or missing packages. They will eventually get what they are looking for FAILURE. I hope to all that have been through the brown crap that I have find a better future with a company that leads with compassion, honesty, and intellegence.Good luck to all of you.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   DeadSkunkOnTheRoad +1 Votes
i had the "pleasure" to work for Buster Brown for 32 years... never drove one of those "trucks"... worked inside as a "red circle employee"... in other words a preloader!... was hired back in 1975 when the 50 pound weight limit was in... saw many changes with the company, especially the late 70's and early 80's... the changing of regimes... center managers coming and going... snotty nosed, pimple faced, part time supervisors thinking they were goin to change the world... 21-24 year old know it all's... i was called everything in the book... from verbal, mental, AND physical abuse... it just flowed down-hill... i remember being called "a trouble maker and a Rebel Rouser"... i loved it!... and the more they got on me, the more i got on them... i started working for them when i was 30, and with 8 years of military service behind me, the trip on the Brown Brick Road, to me would be kinda exciting... and it was... "fun, fun, fun in the auditorium"... ok enuff of the fun writing... my point... UPS loves and dwells on making a person's day, if you are a driver or a P/T 'er... vindictive liers, they are... NOT to trusted!... EVER!... they don't give a rat's ass about your well being, your health and welfare... nothing!... numbers, that's all they care about, numbers!... YOU are there for one reason... to try and make a living... but it can very, extremely difficult to work with the personalities of UPS management... don' t be intimidated by these clowns!... read your contract book and YOU document your daily work... go to google and search: Survivor's Guide to Survival At United Parcel Service... i could write a lot more, but my blood-pressure is beginning to rise
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   DeadSkunkOnTheRoad +1 Votes
typical UPS superviors

14th of Jun, 2012 by   Ginii 0 Votes
Everything above is true. I know I am the wife of a driver of 35 years. He was fired today for getting a coffee outside of his break 3 minutes. He works 11 to 14 hour days every day for the past 35 years. We should have known when he was at UPS less than one year and we had our son he took the day off to be with me at his birth. The next day he got a warning. He should have quit then. Over the years he has given UPS hours of free time by not taking lunch because they would threaten termination. UPS pay OK not great considering the physical labor and endless harassment. I raised our children alone. I was always alone we never saw each. Guess what I think this time he is done with UPS I cannot wait. WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT THE UNION IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH. STOP THESE BASTARDS NOW BY STANDING TOGETHER FIGHT TOGETHER DO NOT COWL IN A CORNER BECAUSE YOU WILL BE NEXT. DEFEND EACH OTHER. SORRY PEOPLE YOUR DAYS WILL COME. YOU HAVE POWER IN NUMBERS USE IT STAND TOGETHER. STOP THE HARRASSMENT. NOW!!!
 7th of Feb, 2013 by   carmine petrillo 0 Votes
the hatchet man mustbe russ baker ? or mike kelly ? 2 genuine faggots
 7th of Feb, 2013 by   carmine petrillo 0 Votes
ups has a bunch of punks working for them . and they areso dependant its pathetic ups hould be sued if everybody stood up and took their 10 and their lunch the company would have serious financail issues .. the upper management is disgusting .. and they sell their soul for a salaray thats barley livable .. the stock is the only thing worth it .. their so dumb they dont realize they can go somewhere else and make 80% of that .. but theyd rather stay and get chewed out every day .. and harrass employes

Cosigning a Car Loan