logo

ITT Technical Institute
Think twice
3. (19 mins ago)
Protection One
Stay away from Protection One!
4. (22 mins ago)
Ocean Beach Club/Goldkey resort
Timeshare week forfeited because of missed maintenance payment
5. (22 mins ago)
Topix, LLC
Cyberbullying Company

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Universal Travel Vacations, Illinois Complaints & Reviews - Misleading free airline tickets

Universal Travel Vacations Contacts & Informations

Universal Travel Vacations

Posted: 2011-01-17 by    rog30

Misleading free airline tickets

Illinois
I received an “Award Notification” from an unknown source which had “US Airlines” printed at the top. It promised “2 round trip airline tickets to anywhere in the continental US from any major international US airport.” When I called the rep, she told me it was “Universal Travel Vacations” in Tinley Park, IL and to claim this award I would have to bring my spouse to a sales presentation to explain their services, but we were under no obligation to buy anything, there would be no high pressure sales tactics, and we would only have to pay taxes for the 2 tickets.
So my wife and I went to the presentation which lasted over 90 minutes. We found out that they were selling something similar to time shares (discounts on travel lodging in their condos). However, after the presentation the sales pitch turned ugly. There was an exhaustive repeat of the details by another rep, followed by 2 other reps that were brought in, and a final rep who also tried to sell an alternative travel package. We said we were not interested. Finally, she gave us a sheet of paper that needed to be mailed into “Global Vacation Network.” It had 7 choices of vacations, each of which would cost even more money because of other costs related to the travel or “refundable deposits” which we didn’t want to give them up front. All we wanted was the airline tickets, not a complete weeklong vacation.
We went to their website which was also confusing and deceptive with their charges. So I called and got the “customer service” number. I machine answered and I left a message, but no one returned the call. We sensed that they had misrepresented their original claim for giving us the airline tickets and we, therefore, did not send in the list of choices, nor did we send any money. I suppose it’s possible that their discounts make a frequent traveler save some money. But they should not be offering free airline tickets if they will not give out those tickets without other stipulations. Our purpose in exposing them is to make sure no one else falls for this misleading offer.
Comments United States Vacation Clubs
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Mar, 2011 by   Cheryl Rawlings 0 Votes
We were invited to listen to an hour presentation on travel. In return we would win 2 free airline tickets. Upon arrival (after confusing directions) we were told because of being two minutes late (we drove an hour to get to the site) we could not be allowed in. We had called at 3:55pm for a 4:00 appointment and told the receptionist that we were having trouble locating the building. He told us to drive across the street never mentioning that we were too late until we arrived. I was so mad and he could care less. Funny thing we booked a cruise today with another travel agency! Rude people never prosper!
 8th of Jun, 2012 by   ChicaMoto 0 Votes
OMG! I got the same letter and exact story...I have an appointment this weekend...Hahaha if they think I'm falling for there SCAM!!! Sorry Universaltraveldeals.com will not be another one of your victim!!!

PayPal Fraudulent Practices