logo

Tianshi/Tiens
Is product really working
5. (1 hr 18 mins ago)
Panasonic Viera LCD TV TH-L32C3 BUNDLE
Item paid but later declared out of stock and then refused to issue an immediate full refund

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

universal property and casualty, Fort Lauderdale, Florida Complaints & Reviews - company will not pay for our roof to be replaced

universal property and casualty Contacts & Informations

universal property and casualty

Posted:    richard and margaret colombo

company will not pay for our roof to be replaced

universal property and casualty
1110 w commercial blvd suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Phone: 1 800 218-3206
here in jensen beach at my home, 1980 ne hoya calle, the recent tropical storm caused wind damage to our roof. Universal will not give us the necessary monies to replace our roof. it has been several months now, we still are not being given the necessary monies to have our roof replaced. we are concernedif another storm should come through, we are very concerned there will be more damage in our house as well to our roof, we already have water stained ceilings in several of our rooms and arug we just had laid, tha t's . now damp from the water getting in. It seems that we were told to do the necessary repairs so no more water could get in and cause any other water damage. in doing so, they finally sent a investigator out who of course took photos showing the patch work we were told to do. this insurance company is claiming the damage was there before, they are failing to recall even before we got them they sent out a rep, he never said there was any damages, also we had several people out and they never told us we had any damages to the roof, infact we had to have a wind mitigation done as well, and still no one told us we had any problems with the roof. So you see the most recent tropical storm which hit us mide sept caused all this extentsive roof damage which resulted water seeping in from our roof causing water damages to our rooms.

Comments United States Home Insurance / Warranty
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Jan, 2009 by   Cindy +1 Votes
Each insurance policy is different. The insurance rep should have noted at the time of inspection if the roof was older and needed to be excluded. Most companies will only pay for the portion that is damaged and will depreciate the roof for its age. You must however, prevent any further damage to your home or it will not be covered by your insurance. You might check your policy to see if you have replacement cost or actual cash value.

Insurance Agent, Missouri
 28th of Jan, 2009 by   miami, fl +1 Votes
if you have a wind mitigation form that shows that there was no roof damage prior to the incident that should be submitted to the company as proof (i know they may already have the form but sometimes it doesn't work that way...sorry). You also have the right to ask for the company to send another adjuster and have the case looked at by a claims supervisor or manager. The company may not pay for the replacement of the whole roof but they will pay for the damage to the part of the roof and any covered damages of the water damage. I suggest you get your agent involved and have them see what else they can do to have the claims process go smoother. I also suggest that in the future, you take your own pictures, date stamped if possible, so you can show the adjuster and the company.

miami, fl
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   WTPBC +1 Votes
I have an issue now with regards to my roof and am wodnering the outcome here. Could you update us? Thanks!
 27th of Aug, 2009 by   WTPBC +1 Votes
I have a leak in my sons room. It basically has been raining in my house between the concrete block and insulation. The issue is also in my garage and mold has been discovered. I have mold coverage, per my policy. Universal Property is my insurance company and hs done nothing. The adjuster was out in July and I have had to fight and chase him down for 1 month and 15 days. He is putting me off. I am down a bedroom and a bathroom. I have HUGE machines in my house that are costing me money and driving my electric bill through the roof. The machines run 24/7 and are distrubing the peace in my home. I have two small children and the tube that runs from my one sons room to the bathroom is draining the moisture. I can't use that bathroom. So I am down a bedroom and a bathroom. My children are sharing a room and using my bathroom, because it is not dafe to use their own.
 31st of Aug, 2009 by   chickibean +1 Votes
I currently have a claim pending with this company. Since filing the claim many "red flags" have gone up that have me concerned. I compare their service with GEICO which I have been with for over thirty five years. I have had many claims with Geico and have always found their service when I needed them to be great. Unfortunately I could not get a policy with them for my condo in South Florida.

Universal: 1. Difficult to report claim by telephone
2. Delays in having adjuster come to inspect property
3. Adjuster is "Independant" contractor, not employee
4. I was told to wait 20 days for the "review" even though they had all information needed
5. After 20 days I was told it is being reviewed by adjuster. I was told adjuster/uderwriter would contact me with status
6. After 10 days and three phone calls by me I still have not received a call from the underwriter

I believe people should share such experiences, especially regarding insurance companies. You only get to know what they are about when you need them. I'm afraid I may have problems with this claim.

I want to know the options I have with the State or other authority should they fail to live up to their agreement.
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   F. Boyd +1 Votes
I am going through the same thing with Universal Property and guess what, they just decided they would not renew our policy for the upcoming year.
 28th of Oct, 2009 by   1Larsim +1 Votes
To all of you who posted here, you need to really go back to the insurance agent that sold you your policy. He/She has the means and knows whom they need to contact to get the ball moving in your behalf. It is much easier for them to contact the insurance company in your behalf versus you doing it.
 2nd of Jan, 2010 by   sheden +1 Votes
an insured should never have to deal directly with a company...that is what your agent earns their commision for...make them earn their money!! So many times insureds try to handle claims on their own and should not and do not have too...Most agents never provide customer service after the intial inception of the policy..they just continue to reap the benefits of your constant or guaranteed renewal...MAKE THEM KEEP AND EARN THEIR COMMIONS
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   JB7 +2 Votes
SHEDEN,

Agents are not licensed for claims. You MUST work diectly with the company, and the adjuster. The agent, should help you with everything else though. Sounds like you need new agent.

As to the wind mitigation form, that has nothing to do with damage. It has to do with whether you are up to current codes and if you meet eligibility for certain discounts. I noticed the OP did not mention how old the roof is (I find it funny, when people complain they leave out such important details). If the roof is too old, it won't and should not be covered (read the exclusions in your policy, its called wear nd tear and t is never covered. If you want it covered get a home warranty).
 2nd of May, 2010 by   mwsclaims +1 Votes
JB7
You are quite wrong on a few points,

first if the roof is damaged by wind over 25% of the roof then entire roof has to be brought up to code in the state of Florida and every homeowners policy in florida has code up grade or ordinace and law coverage. does not matter if the entire roof is suffering from wear and tear if the roof has wind damage which can not be repaired due to condtion of the roof the insurance company buys the entire roof.

2nd yes the wind mitigation form is to verify if the roof is up to code or not but a roof which is worn out is not up to code and therefore would have not qualified for the mitigation discount.

Finaly while the agent is not an adjuster there is a relationship with the company and the agent and the agent can bring pressure on the company to work with the insured. (maybe not a lot but it does help)
 8th of May, 2010 by   Ivabigun 0 Votes
almost every policy in the country is write by ISO, the insurance service organization. coverage A is the dwelling and you are to received replacment cost of the roof if damaged. not patched or repaired but replaced. when it come to claims you should work with the claims dept and also hire tourself a Public adjuster. They work for you and will get everything you are entiled to. Remeber Replacement cost for the roof not the cost to repair a few tiles. I know a man who was offered $3500 for a water damge claim the public adjusted got him $60, 000. They had to replace all the floors and the wood and sheet rock etc. Quite a difference hey?

Trust me.
 10th of May, 2010 by   jd1234 0 Votes
JB7 is a fraudulant insurance agent pretending to show some level of expertise. Please stop posting unhelpful posts for people that get screwed by the insurance industry.
 13th of Jun, 2010 by   daisy7630 +1 Votes
im having a problem with universal property and casualty also, my house caught fire jan 2 2009, nad we had to wait a week for the adjuster who then sealed the house for the fire forensic team had to wait another week for them, they found what caused the fire a short in the air cleaner, then we get a letter saying they arnt going to pay because of a error on the application for insurance (which we didnt sign ) someone else did someone from their company forged our name on this paper, (it wasnt our agent either)our attorney proved this, and here we are 18 months later waiting to go to court, they have come up with every excuse in the book we lost everything, we have 3 small children and we have had to borrow money just to get the house liveable we have no heat no ac, no kitchen cabinets, no flooring, and still they wont pay, they are a joke avoid them at all costs, its better to pay a little more then end up like us its a pure nightmare
 22nd of Jun, 2010 by   JB7 +2 Votes
MWSclaims,

What points am I wrong on? I only made one point. That point is Wear and tear is not covered under any policy. Read the policy and you will know this. That I am for sure about and I can post it here if you would like. Secondly Ordinance or Law is NOT included at 25% on every policy some include it at 10% some at 0% and exclude the coverage. I know because I represent companies that offer 0% 10% 25% and some even at 50%. However, if you have a roof thats too old. The insurance company has the right to not pay it and they will deny the claim for wear and tear. I have seen it SEVERAL times. You may THINK I am wrong, but I have been doing this for quite some time now and have SEEN claims denied for the wear and tear exclusion. Its not common, as in Florida your roof won't last long enough for it to come up, but if you have a home built in 1980 with the original roof, your claim will get denied most likely. Don't take my word for it though feel free to wait until it happens.

Your second point is that a roof too old wouldn't qualify for discounts. Your right and I didn't say anything about that, so how was Iwrong about that?

Your third point is reitterating what I said, how is that wrong?

Sounds to me that you agree with me except for the wear and tear point. Which I just pulled out a policy and read that exclusion so I know I am right on that.

Oh and by the way Universal writes policies on an ACV basis (for their HO8 policies) unless you add the RC endorsement. If thats the case the roof isn't covered at the full value, only the depreciated value.

jd1234,
Back up what you say and provide proof of your comments. Fraudulent agents don't stay in the business as long as I have. ;)
 1st of Jul, 2010 by   mshowen +1 Votes
Without going into lengthy boring details, I will say this: Stay away from Universal Property and Casualty.
Their service is horrific. This company will blindly steal from you, and they are very difficult to deal with. Quite frankly, I am very surprised they're still in business. I had to file a complaint with the Insurance Commissioners Office and order to deal with them. Stay away from them and save yourselves a lot of frustration and headaches.
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   George George George +2 Votes
THE KEY WHENEVER DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY IS TO HIRE AN EXPERIENCED INDEPENDENT PUBLIC ADJUSTER who will represent you, deal with the company for you, and make sure that you get everything that you are entitled to. Trying to deal with the insurance company through your agent is also a waste of time.

The adjuster that you hire to represent you will charge you about 10%, but it is worth every penny.

Insurance companies, like this one for instance, hate public adjusters representing policy holders. The insurance companies cannot take advantage of a professional adjuster the way that they routinely take advantage of policy holders.

(No, I am not an adjuster, just a policy holder who, at the suggestion from a caring friend, hired one when there was a problem... and am I ever glad I did!)
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   daisy7630 +1 Votes
I have hired a public adjuster (15%) and still had to hire a lawyer our lawyer just added our kids as plaintiffs and we got a letter from the insurance company that the kids are not policy holders and they would not have covered anything of theirs anyway?
here we are going on 19 months and they will not give a written reason why they aren't paying, we have went to 4 depos for them all over florida one was 130 miles away and still nothing. a month after they fire they even told us to hire a fire restoration company their adjuster even talked to the company set up the packing and inventory but once they company came out packed out and took anything that was savable that is when they said hey we aren't paying so anything we had left is in a storage building we cant get because the company has not been paid so we lost everything! they WILL rip you off !I pay 2, 000 a year for insurance its only for 120 structure and 60 contents its not for this massive amount .they DON'T PAY !

12th of Jul, 2010 by   George George George +1 Votes
By using the services of our own adjuster to deal with the insurance company, we got everything that was owed to us. Yes, this insurance company tried to drag this on for a couple of months, but they did eventually pay. I guess we had a very good adjuster to represent us. Had we not hired our own, I am sure that we would have been completely ripped-off by the insurance company.
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   George George George 0 Votes
...and 15% is too much to pay for an adjuster if they are reputable.
 12th of Jul, 2010 by   daisy7630 0 Votes
well the adjsuter i hired is very good, he is supposed to be the best here in northwest florida, and i felt 15% is high, but for 10 months i have lived in a 18ft camper with 3 kids 4 if you include the ol man, i dont care what they charge i just want some help and i looked it up at the court house this insurance company has around 200 open lawsuits, and that is just here!

Consumer Fraud in Health Care