logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Snap for mOBILE
Placed subscription charge on cell phone bill not ordered
2. (4 mins ago)

Trustnet

Posted:    cherylann

Scam

California
I received a letter today that included a cashier's check. The letter was an AWARD CLAIM NOTIFICATION. It stated: "We are pleased to inform you that you are one of the winners in the NORTH AMERICA CONSUMER PROMOTION DRAW organized for all customers of Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Safeway etc. You are entitled to the sum of US $9, 851.80 (Nine Thousand Eight Hundred Fifty One Dollars and Eighty Cents). CONGRATULATIONS! Your winning is payable to you by CERTIFIED CHECK, and will be delivered to you by a courier company (FedEx or UPS). You are therefore advised to contact your claim agent: Lisa Greene on 1-951-402-3204. Monday through Fridays...8am...To...9pm (Eastern Standard Time), for further instructions on how to claim your big winnings. We have enclosed a check for US $985.18. Per your state regulations, a tax amount of $900.00 will be required before your lump sum winning can be sent to you. TAX AMOUNT: US $900.00. Do not act on this letter untill you speak with your claims agent." The letter was signed C. Gilespie, Vice President Finance. Everything looks legitimate, although there were typos and grammatical errors. I immediately Googled the company and realized that others received the letter and check and that it was a scam. Thank you for providing this valuable service to consumers.
Comments United States Scam & Fake Checks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Jan, 2010 by   dblack25 0 Votes
I too have received a Trustnet scam letter with a check. The mailing is from Onterio, Canada, the address for Trustnet is Arlington Texas, and the bank is in New Mexico. Isn't there something that can be done about this?
 5th of Jun, 2010 by   Clara Garcia 0 Votes
Can't anyone do anything about this trustnet scam~~~especially with the people that fell for it and paid what they were asked to do. I was one of those dumb people, and elerly thinking I won something big. I did report it to the FBI~~~I sent in my report, hopefully they get caught up with. It looks like and seems to me that they are still going strong with their scams and getting away with it! rose60g@aol.com
 28th of Dec, 2010 by   Rosie Robles 0 Votes
Today we received a letter claiming we had won $450, 000.00 from a drawing we never entered. Enclosed was a check for $3, 998.00 that we are to send to the claim agents mentioned in the letter by Certified Check. We called and got an "answering service" and the girl was obviously confused by our call. I then began to research this scam via the internet and found this site. Glad we didn't do anything with the check. though it was tempting.
 17th of Apr, 2011 by   Patricia Reich 0 Votes
I Received a letter with a check I was told I had won $50, 000 dollars in a promotion drawing. The checdk is for 3690.68 to be used for government applicable taxes and insurance fee.
 15th of Jan, 2014 by   kaffers 0 Votes
I received a check also and figured it was a scam. The check looks authentic but once I called Trustnet, it was obvious it was a scam. I could barely understand the man on the phone. He had a Nigerian accent. He told me to cash the check for $822.15, which wad 10% of the winnings and then call him back so I can send the tax money to the correct tax place?? I said i thought you pay taxes at the end of the year once you get a 1099 form.
He said, No, no...just cash the check and call him back and he will tell me what to do.
I then hung up.
I think they get people to cash checks that are fraudulent and then when you call them, they have you send them the money and that's it...you don't h hear from them again...butnot sure...Either way, I wish the authorities would stop this from happening. I could see how someone might be fooled by this. Its very convincing on paper and three check looks real!
Thanks for posting so I knew it was a scam.

Trustnet