logo

JC Penney
injury in store
4. (11 mins ago)
Horizon Gold
These people get you a $500 unsecured credit card!
5. (16 mins ago)
Elegant Companions
Got scammed

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Troy Bilt Bronco Lawn Tractor Complaints & Reviews - Do not waste your money on this product!

Troy Bilt Bronco Lawn Tractor Contacts & Informations

Troy Bilt Bronco Lawn Tractor

Posted:    C. Hall

Do not waste your money on this product!

I purchased a Bronco lawn tractor, joke, at Lowe's two years ago. I was wise enough to purchase the extended protection plan from Lowes. I have had the tractor,joke, replaced completely, in the shop (4) times for the drive train falling apart and the mower deck has continued to work but the tractor will not move. This lawn mower,joke, is the worst product that I have seen for years. Everytime I go to Lowes and I see someone around the Troy (not) Built products I tell them not to waste their money on that product.
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Aug, 2007 by   Wasted Money 0 Votes
You get what you pay for. Troy Bilt has discontinued this product which is simply another MTD made tractor with another manufacturer's name and body work on it. Since it was discontinued after 2006 buying one would be from a return and a mistake unless its for extremely light duty and you don't think you will ever need parts. The drive belt falls off continuously and if the deck hits anything its mis-aligned. Only upside is the engine and like all MTD's it is easy to work on. Mine will be for sale at the beginning of next cutting season. I am looking for anything other than an MTD!
 29th of Sep, 2007 by   Jim staggs -1 Votes
I agree 100% I also bought one these so called troy bilt mtd model # ltx 2146 2003 that has 213 hr that I payed $2040.00 for at lowes that now needs a new transmission that will cost another $400.00 not to mention that two of the wheels have broke the center out of . I should have taken the money I spent on this junk and fixed my ten year old craftsman mower and I would of had something that would have lasted another twenty years
 3rd of Jul, 2008 by   Jimmy Sullivant 0 Votes
I can't keep the drive belt on my Bronco mower deck and there are also no adjustments to the pullys for belt tighting. Has anyone else had this problem and how can i fix's the problem?
 10th of Mar, 2009 by   jack cook 0 Votes
My troy bilt is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. Fours years old & last summer the crankshaft went out. the blades turn constantly, The center of the front wheels broke out. I had a small engine mechanic look at it & he pretty much said you wasted 2000.00. My old mower purchased from Penneys 20 years ago was way better than this junk ever thought about being. I also tell people NOT to waste their money if I see them looking at theses mowers. Weedeaters are NO better.
 17th of Mar, 2009 by   Kathie Marchand 0 Votes
Troy Built is junk. Purchased tractor mower, used it 3 times and 3 times it broke. The belt breaks off. Bought the extended warranty from Lowes. Lowes exchanged the mower the first time. Brought another one home just like the first, used it and the same thing happens, the belt broke. Warranty repair said it was out fault! Expensive warranty did not help. Paid to repair. Used it again and the belt breaks again, This is a brand new mower that we have paid over 1, 000.00 for. Stuck with junk!!! Don't throw your money away.
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   deereman -1 Votes
Most people assume that all mowers are the same and that statement is 70% true.Considering probably about 70% are built by MTD including White, Bolens, Troy-Bilt and yes even the beloved Cub Cadet and the dirty little secret Toro riding lawn tractors.But forget what you may have heard this group does NOT include the John Deere LA 100 series you see sold at Lowes.These mowers are built by John Deere in a John Deere factory in Greenville Tenn.However this is not John Deere's premium mower, they are built to compete with these other brands.But what most don't know is you can purchase an X 300 John Deere's premium series for about $2, 900.00 that has a 4 year waranty.It is true you get what you pay for.ie.Yugo/Toyota
 11th of May, 2009 by   john -1 Votes
we own a super bronco we have had it a little over a year we have put 2 sets of blades on it and 3 belts.no one seems to know why it breaks the belts so often .our last belt only lasted 3 hrs after we put it on and at $40.00 a pop we can't keep doing this
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   Mfreedom -1 Votes
Mark of Athens, GA July 8, 2009

Troy-bilt Super Bronco Lawn Tractor 46" AutoDrive Riding Mower / Tractor with Cruise Control

"I mow about 2 acres, and have used this tractor now aprox 9 times. The drive belt has come off three times, and now shredded, the deck belt came off twice, the plastic drain pet cock for the engine oil leaks. Troy-bilt would not stand behind the product and were rude on the phone. The Lowes I bought it from has had it now the last two weeks, and says they will make it right, short of refunding my money. When I bought this, I didn't know MTD had bought out Troy-bilt, and that this was actually an MTD product. All things considered I will never buy another MTD product again regardless of who's name they slap on it.

In addition, when the drive belt comes off going downhill, the tractor runs off to high speeds, this is very dangerous. I would be willing to sign on for a class action suit, I've seen many other complaints on the net with these exact same problems, with this exact same product. They need to be stopped from pushing this junk off on unsuspecting consumers.
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   Doc Welby -1 Votes
I mow two acres. I bought this piece of crap at Lowes and bring a belt with me everytime I mow. The belt lasts approximately two hours. What a mistake.
 4th of May, 2010 by   BEBowman -1 Votes
I've had nothing but problems with Troy-Bilt products ever since it was bought out by MTD. I have an old 70s Horse and although I have burned through two engines and a few oil seals it still performs like a champ. The new Pony is a piece of crap, as is the Bronco lawn tractor.

I have also recently had problems with the drive train. It died in the middle of mowing last evening. I suspect it slipped a belt but the drive belt (not the deck) seems very difficult to access. If anyone can help with this please contact me at ikc1- at-juno-dot-com
 27th of May, 2010 by   2005 Bronco 0 Votes
I have to assume that the complaints posted here are on the Troy-Bilt Bronco mowers were purchased after 2006. I bought my Bronco in 2005 and it has been as trouble free tractor as anyone could hope for. I mow over 2 acres twice a week for 5 years now and the drive belt needed changing after 4 years. It was worn but not broken. I had a carburetor issue after the first year, but a simple gas shut-off valve purchased for a few dollars, solved the issue. My tractor sits unused in a shed for 5 months during the winter and always starts right up every spring.
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   joseph squatrito +1 Votes
I had a Pony, 42", 17.5 hp, until this morning when the freeking block cracked, it is 2 years old
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   Happy man +1 Votes
I have a 2006 super bronco that I bought new 4 years ago. I have not had a problem with it. every year I do the
normal maintanence on it . It is not a comercial tractor just an every day home user. If you are trying to cut 1 foot tall
grass, you do get what you pay for!!!
 27th of Jun, 2010 by   Markgloverville +1 Votes
I have a 2007 Troy Bilt Super Bronco and I have never had a problem with it. I also have to agree with Happy Man, every spring it cranks right up. No Problems or complaints here.
 2nd of Jul, 2010 by   weispoe +1 Votes
Bought my 06 Bronco 4yrs. ago, No problems except the Mower Deck rotting away (completely!!) The spindle/ blade dropped out of the deck while mowing, Big mess!! The mower is kept outside, under cover and cleaned every time its used (Fl. every 5 Days) Having a hell of a time getting the correct mower deck. But has been worth th 1K spent originally. Used the "Original Manuel" to find parts online.
 26th of Jul, 2010 by   Rick Taylor +1 Votes
Have a Super Bronco I bought in 2007. The mower decks needs aligning every time I mow. The drive belt has broken twice and is a nightmare to replace. Would never buy another Troy-Bilt
 24th of Aug, 2010 by   Tommy M222 -1 Votes
I have a Troy Built POny at Lowes. It is a 2007. Like all others, I have had nothing but problems. I have fixed the transmission twice. The belts break easily. The blades go bad quickly. The spindle is now broken. I went to Lowes this past weekend and told them that I would never buy a Lowes mower again. They are pieces of crap. I am not usually this ugly, but they know they have an inferior product and continue to sell these pieces of crap. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. I would love for someone to file a class action law suit. Its obnoxious that a company is able to sell this bad product. And I get really upset when people say what do you expect for $1000. I like what James posted about this. You expect it to work, otherwise, under the $1000 say this piece of crap breaks down all the time and will cost you twice as much to repair in three years.
 14th of Mar, 2011 by   OldGrouch48 -1 Votes
The only Troy-Bilt equipment I ever owned was built by the real Troy Bilt in Troy, N.Y. Immediately upon seeing the newly styled (re:phony) "Troy-Bilt" equipment showing up at home centers instead of authorized Troy-Bilt dealers, I knew something was up. With just a little investigation I quickly found out that MTD had bought out Troy-Bilt and I immediately knew that that was the end of Troy-Bilts quality, as MTD only puts out only one grade of product, and that grade is junk, regardless of whose name is on the outside of it. I have a neighbor that bought one of their phony Troy-Bilts a few years ago, and it lasted a little over a year before the hood mounts broke. He ordered the necessary parts, and it only took the bozos at MTD a little over a year to ship him his parts, and then only after he called them numerous times inquiring as to where they were. He also has had belt issues, and I've seen the deck belt on his flopping around and wondered how it even stayed on the unit. He's replaced the belt and says that it's the proper length, so I can only surmise that it's sloppy engineering that caused such a poor design. A note to the people that are wearing out blades. DO NOT buy any oem blades. The blades you want to buy are Oregon blades. I use them on my Scag 61" commercial mower and they hold up even with my abuse, so they'll surely work for you. One more note regarding belts. DO NOT use automotive belts, as they are not designed to withstand the angled twisting that a mower deck puts them, and they will wear prematurely and jump off the spindles. I purchase all but one of my belts (the 116.5" one which they don't carry) from Tractor Supply. They are every bit as good (and more likely better) as oem belts for a lot less money. Bottom line:DON'T BUY TROY-BILT JUNK-IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY.
 19th of Mar, 2011 by   Shuffield -1 Votes
We have had our 2006 Troy bilt, Super Bronco 13AX60TG766, since Oct 2006. It is a super piece of crap. We break around 6 deck belts a year. Our yard is less then a acre. When this mower was less then six months old we had it checked out using their warranty and were told we were the problem and our yard must be to big and to rough for it.
 14th of Apr, 2011 by   Taylspin -1 Votes
Don't know about the rest of you, but I purchased a 2006 Troy-Bilt Pony, 42", automatic from Lowes, new for around $1300. I live in Florida on almost 2 acres. The season is long here, and the grass grows fast. I cut at least twice a week in the summer and once in spring and fall. The mowers is used in the winter some, but a lot less for those 2 months. I have put on hundreds of hours on this mower, and have had no problems whatsoever! The regular maintainence like oil/filter, air/gas filter is done seasonally. I have replaced the blades 3 times in 6 years and the belts only twice. I did have to replace the battery this spring, and put inner tubes in the original tires, which are still fine. I replaced the fuel lines, due to the crap ethenol gas, and now use an additive. My rider starts every time, runs flawlessly, and has never broken down for any mechanical reason. I cut grass 8-10 inches tall if I have to, with no problems, on the highest setting. I go over it again at a lower setting and the job is done. I tow utility trailer, fertilizer spreaders, etc. all year long. This mower has been worth every penny. Troy-Bilt or MTD, feel free to contact me for proof of this.

5 Tips to Pick the Right Hospital