Transition Lenses

Posted:

Fraud and cheating

Transition Lenses
transitions.com
I bought transition lenses and was pleased with them until they started to develop some type of pealing along the edges less than a year later. I took them in and they gave me new lenses only to have the new lenses develop the same problem less than a year later again. They replaced my defective lenses with pair of new defective lenses and the employee admitted they were defective. The manage said too bad, we replaced your lens once and will not do it again. I told her she replaced one defective lens for another.

I have purchased about 10 pair of glasses from Lenscrafters through the years but neither I nor my family will ever do so again.
Complaint comments Comments (12) Complaint country United States Complaint category E-Shopping

Comments

22nd of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes
The same exact thing happened to me, except I did not take them in to get replaced because I figured they would not do anything about it. The edges of my glasses are not only sort of "peeling", but also turning a into a yellow tint. When they turn into the sunglasses, everything gets dark except the yellow tint on the edges. People always comment on it and I hate it. I will not be buying transition lenses the next time I buy glasses, which will be soon!
 9th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened to me. I bought a pair of transitions lenses from LensCrafters in August 2007, they began "peeling" in June 2008, I took them back and they replaced them for free. They said the lenses had been "recalled" because they were defective. It is now June 2009 and the same thing has happened to the new lenses. I took them back yesterday and the store manager said the peeling was "not the same problem" as before (huh?), and they would not replace them for free. I purchased a set of regular lenses this time - as I told the manager, the lenses were only going to get worse. I did get a 15 percent discount on the new (regular) lenses. But I won't buy Transitions lenses again and I won't be returning to LensCrafters. The only reason I purchased the replacement lenses from Lenscrafters was I needed them replaced immediately, I couldn't wait a few days for an independent optical shop to replace the lenses.
 26th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
The old type of transition lenses suck for the very reason you're all talking about. There's a new and better kind out that don't have the same problem. They're pricier, but if transition is what you want, then you should reconsider them in the future. I never bought them for myself in the past, but I have a pair now and like them a lot.
 16th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
Has anyone tried to contact the transition company? I am having the same problem and the store will not replace mine because of some lab issue.
 9th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
I bought my first pair of transitions in the summer of 2001 from Cohen Optical. In 2009, I went back to Cohen Optical for an eye exam and bought a new pair of transitions with an updated prescription. My first pair of transitions are still in perfect condition . However my newest pair started peeling around the edges within 6 months. I took them back to Cohen they sent the glasses away to be repaired. I went back to wearing my first pair. The recent pair came back looking fine but started peeling again within a few months. From what little I have learned, the recent process or materials used are inferior. Transitions and many eyeglass shops are aware of this. I don't know if Transitions, the eyeglass shops or the labs initiated the inferior change, nor do I much care. What I do know is that this inferior product is continuing to be sold to the public. I will not buy another pair until Transitions publicly acknowledges, corrects and stand by their product.
 19th of Jan, 2012 by    0 Votes
I can tell you about those peeling lenses and what you can do to prevent it. There are certain materials that this type of lens has and the way they are made is really strange. I have actaully peeled the top coating off to find the middle "adhesive" is the transition element. If you are careful enough, the lens under the "glue" is clear and scratch free. I have actually changed the material of the lenses to prevent the peeling defect. You can go to plastic lenses or what they call trivex lenses. The transition part of the lens should be within the lens, not as a laminate. So, in short, if your lense are peeling, ask for a different material and see if that will make a difference.
 7th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes

Transition Lenses - Not Dark enough
Depoe Eye Center
Stockbridge
Georgia

I paid $100 extra for transition lenses on my new glasses and they may turn 1 shade darker. Nothing like the false advertising on their commercials. I took them back and they said that was as dark as they get. They are a total ripoff. Don't pay the extra money they are not worth it!!!
 13th of Apr, 2012 by    +1 Votes
I wonder if they were really transitions...there are a few other companies who make changing lenses, they are not even close to transitions. Transitions will get 83-85% tint in sunlight. They will not change much in the car because the windows block uv light.
 13th of Apr, 2012 by    +1 Votes
If the layer peels off or separates from the lens they are not transitions brand. This only seems to happen to lenses in poly from lenscrafters...(junk)
 4th of Nov, 2015 by    0 Votes
same
 7th of Dec, 2015 by    0 Votes
I just purchased my first transition glasses. These are the kind that have a triple bifocal in the lens that blends in the lens so it's not visible to others--not a true bifocal. I hope I'm making myself clear here. Anyway, I waited over a week before the glasses came into Alvernon Optical. I tired them on inside the store and the reading lens worked fine. So, I kept them on and walked out of the store in the daylight. As soon as i walked out of the store, I thought I was seeing a spider web in front of me. Then I took my glasses off and the webbing disappeared. I put them back on and looked all around and saw this spider webbing through the upper part of my glasses. I went back inside and told the optometrist. He tried them on inside the store and saw nothing unusual. He went outside and said he saw nothing unusual. His comment to us was, "Are you sure you guys haven't been drinking!" I felt so embarrassed. My husband was with me and he also saw the spider webbing when he tried them on. I asked for the glasses to be returned to the lab. I waited another week and a half and I had to call to see if they were in. They told me they are in. I made my third trip to Alvernon Optical to pick up my glasses. I tired them on, this time with the store manager. Everything seemed fine until I walked outside. I saw tiny spider webbing in colors when I looked through the lenses. The manager gave me a rude look when I told her that I can't accept those glasses. I walked out and called my vision insurance to cancel the claim. I waited so long to get new glasses and this is what I had to go through. Thought I would save money by taking my prescription to a discount optical center, but now I'm going back to my eye doctor at Barnet Dulaney and Perkins and buying my glasses there. By the way, Alvernon wanted to charge me over $400 for those lousy eye glasses. Not a deal by no means. Only one pair too and cheat frames.
 17th of Dec, 2015 by    0 Votes
Different complaint. I have used transition lenses for over 8 years. I no longer have to wear sunglasses, reading glasses or distance glasses since I have trifocals. I live in Arizona and my lenses turn dark or darker depending on the intensity of the Sun. My only problem I have is when I go back inside the house I feel I am "legally blind" for about 3-4 minutes. I know what the commercials on TV show that as soon as you enter a building the rapidly clear but experience has shown the opposite. I have and will continue to buy transitions until something better comes along but I believe your advertising is somewhat deceptive.

Contact Us