logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Weekly Youth Pay
Website is scam – don’t waste time
2. (19 mins ago)
Conning people for Membership

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Thrive learning Institute, Lindon, Utah Complaints & Reviews - Can not get money back

Thrive learning Institute Contacts & Informations

Thrive learning Institute

Posted:    fillmore

Can not get money back

Thrive learning Institute, LLC
Lindon, Utah
Phone: 8663343672
thriveli.com
I have never used their website or services and returned thier software, return reciepted, and was told that I could not get money back and if I didnt continue paying on the contract I would be sent to collections.

Thrive contacted me on or around 9/18/2008. I was to have my first appointment on 9/22/2008 at 10:30 am. I was called at 11:30, an hour later and told that internet services were down in downtown Lindon. I was to be contacted at 4pm. I never heard back. The next day I e-mailed to request an elibrary password. I didnt hear back for a couple of days. Then I recieved a v/m stateing that I had to make an appointment. The guy on the phone was rude and spoke with a disturbing attitude stateing that is what up to me to set these appointments after the firt guy stated that he would contact me to schedule the appointment. I started to get frustrated and after e-mailing and calling with no response I emailed and called to get my money back.

I was contacted today, October 23rd, 2008, by Zach, and was told because I was out of my 3 day return period I could not get back my down payment. Zach informed me that if I didnt keep paying on my contract he would send me to collections.

I am now out $1, 500.00 down payment, $144.21 a month on a $5, 000.00 contract, $39.95 for software I returned, and $39.95 for monthly website rental fees.

From 9/18 to 10/23, 2008 is 25 business days, well within the 90 days and my initial contact to Thrive was within 5 days. This is a very suspicious way to do business.
Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Oct, 2008 by   zach -3 Votes
It is a 3 day right of return not a 90 day. That was part of the agreement and it was in your contract that YOU signed.
 25th of Oct, 2008 by   Thelma Major +4 Votes
I am also one of those people scammed by thrive. I paid full amount .I was misrepresented and plan to fight for my money. Any supporters please comment on'
 28th of Oct, 2008 by   MechMan +2 Votes
people,
call your credit card company or bank and tell them you want to do a chargeback. continue to charge back over and over again until Thrive gives you your money back. You are protected as a consumer. Don't let these scam artists bully you. Call the utah state attorney general and tell them what happened
 3rd of Nov, 2008 by   Ronnie Anderson -2 Votes
I'm very pleased with everything that is happening for me with thrive. My coach is great I talk with him everyday to everyother if needed. The e library is helfull the online webinars are great it's like your really in a class with a teacher. You do have to work alot on you website with your coach etc. They told me that would like to see me have my investment recouperated in 90 days it happened closer to 4 and a half months. The way that you complain about a company though is threw the bbb. Thats what do is register complaints. Thrive only has 7 complaints filled all of them resolved. Even refunds. So I would go there I guess.
 17th of Nov, 2008 by   fillmore +3 Votes
Today is 11.17.08 and I still have not received my money back. I filled a complaint with the BBB of Utah on 10.28 and on 11.11.08 Mr Bradshaw called me and stated that he would return my money and I have still not heard from him, Mr Bradshaw or to get my money back. The company the contract was written with, Duvera in CA, called me on 11.12 and stated that as soon as they hear from Mr Bradshaw the contract will be dissolved and that they had no problem with that. Mr Bradshaw's people keep calling me to set up appointments and I keep telling them to stop calling me. My last call fron Thrive/Merchent Services was 5 minutes ago. My next move will be to contact the Federal Trade Commission, per my attorney's request, at 5 pm today.
Mr Bradshaw, in stead of leaving a comment here, why dont you just call me and tell me what you have to say. You said 8 days ago I could have my money back. Whats the deal? Are you a liar?
 17th of Nov, 2008 by   fillmore +3 Votes
Mr Anderson, My complaint with the BBB of Utah has been open since 10.28.2008 so they do have at least one complaint still open. So get your facts straight before making claims. I am happy for you that you are having a good experience with Thrive. I count at least a dozen others on 7 complaint sites that are not, including myself.

For those of you still needing to file a complaint, file with the BBB of Utah and with the Federal Trade Comission at www. ftc.gov.
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   Chris +2 Votes
I am VERY angry with Thrive learning institute. I paid them $3600 for their services. They were promising me and promising me that I can expect a successful dropship business. Well my business has been up for 2 months and I haven't made a dime. Now when I try to talk to my coaches, they basically tell me that they have no idea what I should do.

COMPLETE SCAM AND FRAUD! THEY PROMISE YOU AND THEN WHEN YOU FAIL THEY TELL YOU TOO BAD!!
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   fillmore +2 Votes
You should file a report with the Federal Trade Comission at www.ftc.gov.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by   bob davis +1 Votes
I went into my bank account and IAS which is part of thrive debited my charge card twice.I called my bank today and they said that the transaction hasn't gone through and they put a stop payment on the transaction and said that even if they still receive the transaction it won't go through.Were talking over 10, 000 dollars, so if anybody hears about Internet Auction Solutions stay as far away as you can.Neither them or Thrive are listed with the BBB in UT, but on Thrives web sight they say they are.Codee Martin is a fast talker and so is Greg please Don't listen to them or you could almost get stung like me.
 5th of Dec, 2008 by   cmchatten +4 Votes
I would like to thank everybody for this information. My story is the same as yours, though my site isn't even up yet and they have stopped helping me. I have been working on it for 4 months and then they started giving me the runaround. I got mad when one of the coaches was nasty and rude and literally refused to help me, so I wrote them an email and I haven't heard from them since.I was promised 7 months of coaching. I have been on the verge of a nervous breakdown trying to complete my site so I could recoup some of my$4000 plus back and they wont even help me get it launched.No legitimate company would act this unprofessional.This is what prompted me to see if I was the only one having trouble with them.If there is a class action lawsuit, I would appreciate any information on this so I can join.
 7th of Dec, 2008 by   kellyscott +3 Votes
ill one up you guys ok... when i was first contacted by thrive i was told ...we are very selective on who we choose!!! nice joke folks...example when i made my first phone call...no names now but the interviewer when thinking back reminded me of the kid whos so determined to get something and he will do anything to get it... i thought this interview would take maybe 45 minutes to an hour???? are kidding me??? this guy (example) was like a hunter willing and ready to bag his prize!!! me!!! we are very selective in the choices??? and with all my fears stated to him (interviewer) i should have been ousted bang ...told have a nice day..shook hands and departed as friends... nope... hey i will give him (interviewer) credit..for as i call it a guy who could sell ice to the eskimos!!! no matter what i said didnt matter!!! why i must say to as they say (whom it may concern)???? be afraid be very afraid... not a joke either!!! again not to sound like a broken record but??? we are very selective on who we bring on board??? god i wish he the interviewer was a coach??? this guy no matter how bad the guy was ??? he would get PT aka playing time!!! ok ill give him credit a very nice interviewer, , , , but>>> again not ganna be selective with a sucker like me!!! as for the above email i see where your having trouble im not shocked...???we are very selective on who we bring aboard???? i will maybe??? knock on wood, and see what happens...and then get in touch with utah and see what i can do... i to have sent emails to both email addresses and as you heard nothing but ???it has ben on the weekend maybe noone in the office sooo next week lots of contacts with them..im sure... again anyone ??? maybe thinking of making money with these guys??? beware ok seems like nice folks... but beware..we are very selective on who we bring on board????
 9th of Dec, 2008 by   cmchatten  Best Advice +5 Votes
I have only heard of one person who says they got their money back. I asked them how and have had no response. I am not sure if I am allowed to say ...but their are several other complaints on other sites. I would like to get a class action law suit going and have mentioned that on the other forum, but as yet no responses. My lawyer has told me I have a case, but I would pay more for their services than the money I am out. So I am putting it out there again that there are grounds here for a class action law suit. I for one would be willing to lose some money to gain at least some back...as well as seeing thrive get what they deserve. Also I should mention here that the state of illinois has a cease and desist order against thrive.It is an actual court order against them selling their business opportunities to anyone in that state. I found this when I googled "thrive learning institute", So I believe that if we could all get together as a group we could do something about this.
 13th of Dec, 2008 by   CB-User +2 Votes
Update from original complaint from Pamela Keltie: After 3 months, I did get my money back. I was "sweet talked" in the beginning, told I could have a successful drop-ship company through ebay. Im still not sure how that works. And Im very disappointed with the On-Line Data Institute who I contacted via land-line after seeing their commercial on the TV who supplied my personal info to Thrive Learning Institute. I suppose that if you are asking the right/correct questions you may get through unscathed but my experience was like kellyscott's and Devon Kenny of Thrive could of been selling ice to an Eskimo during my call that day. I filed a complaint through the BBB of Utah and got back the small fees but when I filed my complaint through the FTC I received my down payment back. I think my situation is a little different though. I did call to request my money back on the third day. It may of been the fourth but really; a day, come on. The 3 day return policy was described to me like buying a house. You have 3 days to turn down the contract or you are stuck with house payments. I didnt get that. I wasnt buying a house and if I had been buying a house from Thrive talks with those institutions would of been going on for a while and all contracts would of been signed in person not virtually, and if virtually then hard copies would of been faxed or emailed for a personal signing and quite possibly certification/notary and mailed back. Also I would have a house for resell to regain profit. Duh. I sometimes thought, while speaking with Thrive, that they just thought I was stupid. But never answered questions about the dropship business because "your team will run you through that". That should of been the red flag in the beginning. Now I know. Now I dont except any correspondence from any on-line work-at-home companies. And now I know that the real ones will not ask for upfront fees let alone $5, $10, 000 and up to start a business. Come on, if I wanted to put up a website, I would get the kid down the street to do it for $100 or call the geek squad in town and it still would be a lower cost. I also learned that you should record your conversations. It is not illegal to tape a one-on-one conversation for your own records. The company your speaking with is recording you for their records. In the beginning the calls were with happy, fun, fast talking people and then turned to mean, condescending tones and after I got my money back I received an apology. My point is you can document the tone of rhetoric used towards you when dealing with customer service representatives. I also learned to do an advanced search for companies before saying yes. Dont let that initial call be the end all. Hang up and do a search and go beyond the BBB. And then get back to the caller. Thrive may be listed with the BBB on their site but under their DBA as I understand it. It was very misleading. I would of considered joining a class action suit but I received my money back and no longer qualify but wanted to share my update with you. Good Luck to all and hope you all succeed in getting your funds returned.
 1st of Jan, 2009 by   Cilantro101 0 Votes
I have to agree 100% with everyone that states Thrive is nothing but a rip off!!! I paid $7, 500.00 US, which was just a little under $10, 000.00 CDN, I just happen to be Canadian. I thought the program was half decent at the beginning, but soon discovered they don't have a clue what they are doing.

I tried to give them them benefit of the doubt, but after incurring over $1, 000.00 in addition unnecessary expenses, I realized that they didn't even know enough to be able to provide the guidance necessary to someone that didn't live in the USA.

Oh, and I love how they are not responsible for their actions. Don't receive a return phone call - YOU never made the call!!! Don't get answers to your email questions - YOU'VE already received ample support!

And these two are my favorites:

Thrive: What site builder are you using, I don't recognize the template?
Me: I designed the site myself, I didn't use a site builder.
Thrive: You know HTML?
Me: Obviously, or you wouldn't be looking at my site. It's asinine questions like this that make me doubt that Thrive can teach me anything!
Thrive: How are you marketing your site?
Me: I'm doing (cut off by Thrive)
Thrive: What keywords are you using?
Me: I'm (cut off again)
Thrive: I'll have someone from our Marketing Department call you and get you the training you need. I'll critique your site and call you back.
Me: Don't bother, I need time to calm down and considering my site is still under construction it's rather stupid on your behalf to critique my site. If you want to feel free, but don't call me, just email me everything you consider wrong.
Thrive: You'll get my feedback by the end of the day.
Me: Great. <4 days later still waiting, hmm, was it something I said???>

Next Day:

Thrive: You need training in Marketing.
Me: Actually, I've had a lot of training in Marketing. My site's been on-line for 3 days and I have 59 people subscribe to my e-book and I haven't officially launched my site yet.
Thrive: IF, you've had 59 people subscribe...
Me: Thanks Thrive, you really know how to motivate your students - IF you consider calling them liars motivating, personally I'm now so motivated, I haven't stopped crying in two days!!! BTW, I asked you NOT to phone me, but you still do - why?
Thrive: (No response)
Me: Back off and leave me alone. When I wanted your help, you didn't have the decency to return my calls, now that I said I was going to register a complaint with the BBB, my phone hasn't stopped ringing!!!
Thrive: What can we do to rectify this problem?
Me: A refund would be appropriate.
Thrive: We already told you there would be no refund.
Me: Than why did you ask what you could do to rectify the problem?
Thrive: Silence - Dead Air - Dial Tone!
Me:

Well, I'm off to obedience school, to learn how to sit, stay, play dead and get a muzzle for my next contact with Thrive. Where their goal is to dictate and the students are to shut up, obey and do only what they say.

Kary - Not a Fan of Thrive
 5th of Jan, 2009 by   Coop +2 Votes
I am so glad that I found this complaint board as I was reading through our provincial newspaper to find a full page ad trying to get people to a 2 hour workshop...the workshop is free of course...on how to dropship and make money through ebay.

Of course they are going to be requiring a large sum of money for some system as the seminars are not taking place in the basement of a church (little or no rent) they are being held at all the large hotel chains throughout the lower mainland of BC.

Thank you all for sharing your stories...I truly hope you get your money back and this company gets what they deserve
 17th of Jan, 2009 by   new to the game +2 Votes
I was contacted today by a representative (initial interview), and I think it's also important to include the OTHER company name used by them. INTERNET INCOME SOLUTIONS or INTERNET INCOME INITIATIVE. I have been taken twice in the past by situations like this and am very leary. I have a conversation with the 'representative' ask questions about who they work for and sister companies, and then look at the web sites they provide for further research. Eventually I locate a complaint board or forum and provide the other names or information I have found. I was actually offered a program with no down payment and no initial fees for 30 days. Of course I declined stating I would speak to my husband prior to making any financial decisions...I was hung up on. Now I see why.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   C Future +2 Votes
I am doing business with Thrive at present since early November of 2008. I find it curious that the business entity that contacted me to get into the Thrive program was calling itself Platinum Trading Solutions and I was smooth-talked into the program for about 2 hours by a guy named JP. I haven't heard anybody else mention this company name so far in the several blogs I have visited. I was charged $4500.00 to my credit card for 6 weeks of calling access to my "coaching team" and also given access to 6 months of live webinars through i3wired. About a week ago I sent a letter viaemail and kept a copy in which I complained about how ill-prepared I was to take on the program and how it had caused me quite a bit of frustration, computer problems ending in purchasing a new computer and having a webinar host state that using wireless internet was the worst way to try to access webinars or other streaming internet programs...in short, I couldn't watch much webinar stuff until I spent a bunch of time and money and even now, I don't have a choice about using wireless. That is what is available and so there is always the risk that I won't have a good connection to participate in a live or even recorded webinar. I also complained that I didn't have a lot of basic computer skills and so it took me hours and hours to do things that a person born and raised on a computer wouldn't probably give a second thought to. I ended with saying that I felt they should do a much better job of screening people for their program but that obviously it is just too tempting to see that credit card number and a person with good credit! I stated that I felt the program was expensive and some other complaints. I HAVE NOT HEARD ONE WORD IN RESPONSE. And after the 6 weeks of phone coaching finished, I was switched to another team of people! That was never mentioned either. I thought I would keep the same people that I have managed to establish some report with! At this point, I am not terribly happy with Thrive. Granted, I have been learning. And I will say that it has been a good experience over all working with the website builder technical support people so far. But today, I cannot get anything done because this new "coaching team" has not been available to answer some basic questions that I need answered before I can continue building the website. I certainly wouldn't recommend Thrive to anybody that isn't at least good at navigating around in computers and who doesn't have cable internet and some basic knowledge about marketing and internet marketing to start with. I am hanging on to see what happens over the next few weeks here to decide for sure if I should join the ranks of the ones who demand their money back.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   Cilantro101 -4 Votes
“Update From My Previous Post:

I’d like to commend Thrive Learning Institute for their professionalism in dealing with my problem. After I calmed down and was no longer reacting based on emotions, I contacted the appropriate party and they were more than willing to listen to what I had to say and worked with me to rectify the issue.

I am happy to say that Thrive Learning Institute and I worked out an agreement that was mutually satisfactory to all parties involved. They demonstrate that they did indeed care about their students and were pleasant, proficient, and pleased to work with me to rectify the situation. They handled this matter with kindness, respect and in a timely manner, keeping in contact with me until everything was settled.

When a student has a valid complaint, they go out of their way to take corrective actions. In addition, they utilize the feedback they receive to improve the value of their program and implement changes to ensure their extending the highest quality of service available.

Thank you Thrive Learning Institute, I greatly appreciate all you have done to turn a negative into a positive. Due to your actions, you turned what I perceived to be a major problem, into a positive experience.

A very special thanks to Matt, Zack, and Nic, for going far beyond my expectation in getting this situation resolved and your assistance in improving my mindset.

Kary – Now a Raving Fan of Thrive Learning Institute”
 27th of Jan, 2009 by   David +2 Votes
Well, those that are reading closely, you can tell the Thrive Thieves that are commenting on these complaints. These people are nothing more than thieves and they are coming in behind complaints on blogs like this one to praise their company when it just another one of their tactics to keep people lulled into a stooper so they can continue to steal. And oh yes, they do what they need to do to keep right under the law to keep from giving you a refund and oh yes, they have many affiliates to hook you up with in the other room that will also bribe you for money.. TRUTH IS, A JUNIOR HIGH COMPUTER GEEK HAS MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT COMPUTERS THAN ALL OF THEM PUT TOGETHER...WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS STEALING!!!1
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   Geoff +1 Votes
hmmmmmm...? I've been researching these cats all week. If it was worthy training I would pay a few g's. But by the looks of most posts I've read {that is many}, they don't teach too much. I already have my site up- http://www.thefuturefriendlyshop.com [still under construction-birth stages lol], I have been trying to learn some more html and learn all about affiliate/ppc/seo, mlm online marketing etc. I'm a bit on the fence, as I have read a lot from both sides as well as being on the phone earlier asking why the googlemoneytree was on all the scam complaint sites. The woman I spoke with was pleasant enough, and suggested checking out the Thrive Learning site etc. They offer training, which of course costs money, but how good is the actual coaching???? I am waiting for another call, but think I may take the rough road and go it solo, with my wife's help of course :). If anyone has proof, or close to it, that these guys know their stuff, please post ASAP. Greatly appreciated;
Sincerely;