logo

Mashreq Bank
Credit card Recovery Procedure
2. (33 mins ago)
Freelancer.com
I was stollen by freelancer.com
3. (34 mins ago)
Sears's faulty product

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

The Berry Company, Lubbock, Texas Complaints & Reviews - Deceptive Sales Practices

The Berry Company Contacts & Informations

The Berry Company

Posted:    chad prince

Deceptive Sales Practices

Lawn Works
Lubbock, Texas
Phone: 806-241-7800
lawnworks_lubbock@yahoo.com
I was contacted by a very chatty and friendly associate of the Berry Company and offered an advertising contract for advertising in the Windstream yellow pages. I asked if I had to make a decision now and the representative said no. I told her to fax over the information and I will look it over and decide later. After about nine minutes of conversation the call was over. I never received a fax, only a bill for $400.00 due immediately. I called and said there must be some kind of mistake. They said they had recorded the conversation in which I agreed to the advertising contract. So after they sent it to me I listened to it and still I never agreed to anything except to look it over. I am still in the process of canceling the deal and it has wasted alot of my time. It's really annoying that they can just send me a bill for nothing. Beware of the Berry Company and the Windstream advertising pages!!!

Comments United States Telemarketing
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Aug, 2009 by   Kimm Nicolay 0 Votes
I've had the EXACT same experience. I too said I would look over their proposal. The next thing I discover, I'm getting charged for over $400 to my phone bill forcing me to pay or lose my business phone line. I have trouble getting in touch with anyone who can even help me attempt to stop charges. Have you or anyone else had any luck resolving the problem? I could use some help.
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   The Berry Company Customer Relations +2 Votes
Please contact customer relations department available Monday thru Friday 8am to 8pm eastern time at 800 877 0475 for a full investigation of your claim.
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by   K.Wilson 0 Votes
I have also had terrible experience with The Berry Company, printing our ads. in The Windstream Yellow pages. I will never do business with them again.
 5th of Oct, 2009 by   PendCtyBk 0 Votes
In performing a detailed review of our company phone bill (which isn't done often enough), we discovered the charge listed as "Internet Adv - The Berry Company" and the amount of $45, which is charged every month.
I discovered, after some research and speaking to the branch personnel about the service, that no-one remembered ordering the service.
I called The Berry Company and they said they would cancel the service immediatly and would obtain a recording of the phone conversation in which a company representative "authorized the order". Now, over a month later, they still haven't produced proof that the service was ordered. I've called back to speak to a supervisor and had to leave a voicemail with our area rep.
 3rd of Nov, 2009 by   rkmacdonald +2 Votes
I don't work for The Berry Company. In fact, am not even a customer of theirs, yet.

However, I am thinking of using them for a leads-based Yellow Pages Ad in the Savannah, GA area.

I just checked with the Better Business Bureau and found that they have been Accredited by the BBB since May 1995, and they currently have an A+ rating. That is the highest rating given by the BBB.

They have had three complaints in the past 36 months, and all were resolved.

It appears to me that this company is a relatively low risk to deal with.

Russ
 10th of Nov, 2009 by   morewary 0 Votes
That sounds a lot like what happened to us. I think I must have agreed to run an ad, but I said I would send them our information- things like font and color, etc. I understood they would wait for it. In the mean time I changed my mind. I thought I communicated this to them. The details our fuzzy in my mind because this was about a year ago. Even if I never directly told them I changed my mind, wasn't it very unprofessional of them to just go ahead and run our ad when they never received the details we had talked about? It's their ploy. The whole "we got you on tape" thing. That's what they told me too. Now we're receiving calls from people who don't even know what we offer in product and service. My husband and I were very unhappy with the whole experience. We got the bill and complained to the company, then to the BBB, but the whole thing got to be such a hassle, especially with them threatening to turn us over to a collection agency, so we paid. Beware of this company!
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   44dog&horsegeek 0 Votes
YES, they're a pain in the ass. I lost about $700 using them. I only had about 15 calls w/ my advertisement in the yellow pages. Only 2 of them were paying customers. None have returned yet. All my other customers return. Again & again. They're very happy. I wished I bought golf bags for my # one referral customers instead of wasting on the phone book. I know BIG companies who don't use the phone book. They know it's a waste of money & time. Especially $.
They didn't even want to try & make me happy by lowering my rate they just hurried me out of there when I mentioned a legal blog where there were lots of people who found them to be crooks. I guess they can pull the wool over some eyes. Not mine. No thanks--beware business's.
 18th of Jan, 2010 by   disgusted cust 0 Votes
I will never use the Berry Company again. I got suckered into an online ad with the local telco's online phone book. When I moved, I notified them and it took over a year to update the address on their website. I have sent several written letters requesting cancelling this service, including return receipt. So far, 9 months later they are still billing me and have not responded to any of my complaints.

The BBB rating is bogus. They had 65 complaints in the past 36 months with an A+ rating. Look at how many were "administratively closed" vs resolved. But, when you search bbb.org, there are multiple listings...one for their corporate office and one for each field office (don't forget they go by the Berry company as well as L.M. Berry Company). So, actually, they have hundreds of complaints per year.
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   The Berry Company Customer Relations +1 Votes
Should your company have any concerns with The Berry Company Please contact us at 800 877 0475 8am-8pm M-F for assistance with your concern.
 1st of Feb, 2010 by   Disgusted in Missouri +1 Votes
Berry Company accounting, billing, and accountability is a nightmare!!!
We have had yellow page advertising double billings and two account numbers for the last 2 years as well as internet billing which had the wrong address and telephone listing. After monthly attempts for almost 2 years to correct all of these problems over the phone with one person after another and having a representative come to our office, nothing was done despite the company's assurance that corrections would be made. And they just keep billing. I wonder why phone companies sign on with them for their publishing at all??
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   PEB 0 Votes
For God sakes be careful with this company. They are as slippery as eels. They have all kinds of pricing schedules with hidden cost. I have work with them for the last 5 years in 2 differnt markets and have had 7 differnt reps. Each one blames the privious one and always is trying to change the original terms of the contract. Be especially careful with the yellow pages. They will sign you up for a year with a contract, however there is fine print that allows them to extend your contract after the year is up. I just went through this with 3 county directories. On the Yellow page directory cover's they tell everyone when to discard at a specific date. Yet they keep charging for advertising after that date. Hardest company a small buisness will every have to deel with. Be careful of their internet sales pitch also. Your asking for trouble with this company if they can get control of all your web traffic. If they do...they will own you and they will jack your prices to the moon. This company is pure evil! Upset in Cincinnati!
 5th of Apr, 2010 by   mykwalker1 0 Votes
the SCAM that i'm dealing with is that they chose not to publish a book when they normally do and now want me to pay an extra 3 months even though my contract was up after a year. They say well ... our terms and conditions say that we can shorten or lengthen our book time by 6 months and you agreed to that in the terms and conditions. Like anyone reads that stuff anyways! I will from now on you can be sure of that!
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   acupuncture clinic 0 Votes
very true, this berry's company sucks!
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   acupuncture clinic +1 Votes
I don't understand how this berry's company still can treat their customer like this! Yes, they do have 800 number, but every time when there is issue coming up, all they could do is transferrig you to different department and have you waiting them to call you back, which you will wait forever, and Yes, you will be charged late payment fee due to waiting for those disorganized, lazy employees to call you back, as they promised.

Anyone try to do contract with berry's company need to be very careful and cautious, once you sign the contract, there will be no one in this company really care about any problem you have with your ad.

If you do need putting an ad for your business, YELLOWBOOK or IDREAC company are better choices.
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   Boat Lover 0 Votes
Again I received my business telephone bill with a "monthly internet yellow page advertising" fee. My problem with this is two fold. First, my local telephone provider charges this in their bill without any form of contract fro the Berry Company. I belive this to be a federal offense since money is changing hands without any form of contract through the mail and without any sort of contract. Who is going to finally take these guys out?
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   Ripped of in Rochester NY 0 Votes
DO NOT USE THE BERRY COMPANY. If you are thinking about it Stop right away.

I am an independent contractor with a major financial firm. An acquaintance of mine was working for the Berry Company and talked me into taking out an Add in the Rochester Yellow pages. We spoke about it over the phone and I agreed to a 12 month add. I paid the 12 months in full.

There representative then called me asking me if i wanted to extend my add for another year. I told him no. I then get a call from the collections department of the Berry Company claiming I owed them money for the next year I had clearly said i didn’t want. They put my information in the yellow pages anyways.

After finally agreeing that i didn’t need to pay for the extra year i had said i did not want, they then said i owed them for an extra three months b/c they had extended my contract. I explained that the representative I had taken the ad out with had never gone over this clause with me on the phone, and they said it didn’t matter because i should have received the "Terms and conditions" in the mail. I NEVER RECIEVED THEM IN THE MAIL. This is a total scam and the "customer service representative" i talked to about all this was extremely unhelpful. She said no she couldn’t help me, and that no one there could or would.

Ripped off in Rochester NY
 4th of May, 2010 by   disgusted cust 0 Votes
I too dealt with the Rochester office. They gave me two reps and when I tried to cancel kept handing me off to the other rep. I have called, sent letters, filed a BBB complaint and got nowhere with them. In fact, they lied to the BBB and said I never contacted them!

BE CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH THE BERRY COMPANY!
DO NOT BELIEVE THEIR BBB A+ RATING!
Two scams in one!
 14th of May, 2010 by   bboobb 0 Votes
I have been fighting with the berry company for over 15 months I signed up to do a phone book add and was promised that I would get ad proofs after not getting any I called in 3 times before the proofs went to print, I was told every time I would get it in the mail I NEVER got anything the sales rep made an ad and the berry company put it in the phone book and published it. I have all this in writing and much more like phone records. I tried the B.B.B. and other places that didn’t help my lawyer has been talking to them and if they don’t stop trying to charge me for an ad they made and I had nothing to do with. We’re going to start a court case next week and sue the berry company. The ad was bad I was willing to pay them something but they won’t help. With all of my proof that I have that the berry company messed up BAD on my add I have a strong case agents them. At 1st I was going to just sue them for as much as the bill was but now with all the pain and suffering I see the berry company is causing people. Ill sue them for more and give the extra to my church. The berry company has to learn you DONT RIP OFF PEOPLE.
 29th of Jun, 2010 by   NebraskaMommy +1 Votes
Absolutely true! I've run ads for my small business with the Berry Company for the last three years and the ads are always wrong! I don't get my proofs back until it is too late to make changes and the book is already "closed." This year I didn't even get proofs at all, despite weekly emails to my rep asking when I would be receiving my proofs. I also had my local book extended by 3 months so I was stuck pyaing last year's rate for another15 months instead of 12. (They've got a lot to learn from Yellowbook. Yellowbook always sends my proofs immediately and lets me mamke unlimited changes right up until the day of print! I've had the same sales rep with Yellowbook every year and he comes to visit with us in person, even driving an extra 25 miles from our business to meet at our home!) Berry Company you ought to be ashamed of yourselves! I'm never doing business with this company again and furthermore I have actually cancelled my phone and internet service with Windstream just because they use The Berry Company. Windstream beware--you are losing customers too!
 8th of Nov, 2010 by   NebraskaBusiness 0 Votes
This company needs to be put out of business!!! We got a letter from them stating that unless we contacted them they would automatically renew us for another year. I contacted them immediately and left a message at the number given stating they weren't worth the money and to cancel any and all advertising with them and if they had any questions they could call me. No return call so I figured it was taken care of. Instead, we get a bill from them. I've been dealing with this crooked company since July (and I've been calling the number that the idiot keeps giving ---like it does any good) regarding being billed for "advertising" that we didn't approve. I was told it would be "investigated" and they'd get back to me. When they didn't get back to me I called AGAIN! I finally got some guy named Michael to answer me and stated that he had approval to "cancel" the billing and we now had a ZERO balance with them. When I asked for a letter to this fact he stated it would appear as a ZERO balance on our next billing statement. Here it is Novmber and we're STILL getting billed for this and of course each month it's for more plus late charges. I continue to call and all I get is "you have to talk to Michael" and of course, even though I leave voice mails for Michael, he never returns the call. The BBB is a joke. My next contact will be with our State Atty Generals office filing a formal complaint against the crooked business practices of this company.

Tips for Last Minute Tax Filers