logo

Posted:    Lucas Haller

Bad service

TGI Fridays
Auburn, Maine
After spending 70 dollars on a meal for two people, I'm pretty much not satisfied.

Three tiny martinis for 7.50 each, alright, it's a mixed drink, you expect to spend alot, but the steaks weren't amazing (6 oz. sirloin and flat iron). They were simply meat, flavor coming from dipping them in a small cup of the JD sauce. I tried the bacon wrapped shrimp. The bacon was burnt, and wrapped around shrimp that still had their tails on. I had to remove the bacon to pull them off. The mashed potatoes were dry, tasted unseasoned, save for one or two shavings of cheese, and in the ball shape of an ice cream scoop. I was reminded of high school cafeteria. I started the meal with one of my favorites: Buffalo wings, deciding to try them boneless. To my displeasure, they were crunchy with too much breading.

As if the food wasn't mediocre enough, we were needing to flag our server down for nearly everything (drink refills, napkins), even though the number of other customers were dwindling, since it was getting late. I say server because, though she had a nametag, she didn't introduce herself.

On top of this, when attempting to complain to the company themselves, their website is broken, and you have to leave a voicemail to make a comment. No live person.

I used to enjoy a night out at Fridays, but after this experience, and with Tuesdays and Longhorn within a couple of hundred feet of the restaurant, and Applebee’s down the block, I'm considering steering clear in the future, and advising friends and family to do the same.
Comments United States Restaurants & Bars
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Dec, 2009 by   pseudoswede 0 Votes
You get what you pay for dude. The mashed potatoes are preseasoned and come in a bag that is opened and mixed with a little more than a 1/2 cup of cheese once rethermalized (heated up in hot water). The reason for the scoop shape is to allow the managers and cooks greater control over portion size and food costs, which inturn allow the prices to remain constant over a period of time. As for the bacon wrapped shrimp, these are pre-wrapped with the tails on and cooked as one piece on the grill. A majority of people prefer their bacon crispy, so unless otherwise specified, it is actually supposed to come crispy, ensuring that the shrimp on the inside are thoroughly cooked. The "$7.50" martinis more than likely did not include the alcohol sales tax (which is actually higher in restaurants than in stores). Concerning the steaks, only the flat iron steak (8 oz) is basted in JD glaze, but both steaks should have been lightly seasoned. The peitite sirloin is meant to be a smaller portion size at a more affordable price (requiring a lower grade steak such as an aged sirloin tip). The sad fact is that while BOH (back of house/kitchen) work is more labor intesive and stressful than any other non-degreed profession, the cooks who endure such labor for sometimes 14-16 hrs a day only earn $7-10 dollars per hour (usually less depending on ethnicity--How pathetic???), so I say again, you get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, I have had to learn first-hand how physically and mentally taxing (not to mention underappreciated and undercompensated) this position can be while earning a degree in a town where 25, 000 other students (who only work for spending money) are seeking jobs. At less than $10 per hour, I perform the tasks of 2-3 employees in sweltering heat for up to 16 hours in a day, getting off of work at 2-3 am just to finance my housing, education, and bills. It is the only job available in this town, and even though I wish to one day leave all of my restaurant experience behind to work in my chosen field, the low pay and long hours only allow me 4-5 hours of sleep per night before school the next day. I have found that the work is so taxing, that when I am not working, I am too exhausted to study or play music (which is relative to my intended major as a recording industry production and technology engineering specialist). The saddest part is that while I can't even get enough hours or pay to live any better than paycheck to paycheck eating ramen noodles in my roach-infested apartment, you are online writing off the TGIF chain altogether because your luxury of a steak dinner and martinis was not seasoned as well as your spoiled mind might hope it to be. I apologize on behalf of all TGI Friday's for the menu prices, but they do serve to provide what little money does come on each of my paychecks. I wish I had the luxury of complaining about steak dinners, but instead I have to cook your steak dinners exactly the way I'm told to in order to persue my passion in hopes that one day, I might make it out of this shitty job where no matter how hard I try, nothing is ever good enough for anybody much less deserving of decent pay.

Next time you order a steak and martinis, ask for extra seasoning even if it's on the side before you think about never coming in again.
 29th of Dec, 2009 by   pseudoswede 0 Votes
P.S. The boneless wings come pre-breaded and always have. If you don't like breading on your wings, order traditional-style wings which do not come with breading. Additionally, if you consider the area in which you dined (New York City), you will realize that menu prices are approximately 30% more than the national average. Such menu price variations are determined by the individual store after factoring employee pay (or lack therof), location, taxes, wholesale cost for food/alcohol products, and operational costs (i.e. lease/rent, and utilities such as gas, water, sewage, and electricity.
Also, if your chief complaint is about the food, why title your blog "bad service"?
 4th of Jun, 2011 by   Another X customer 0 Votes
wow, he must be a manager. good PR but bad for return costomers. DUDE! lol

Beware of Phishing Scam!