logo

Branson's Nantucket
false advertising
4. (16 mins ago)
www.nycoptics.com
truly appreciate the ease of using your website
5. (34 mins ago)
GLOBAL COURIER SERVICE COMPANY LONDON. UNITED KINGDON
regarding to get lottery prize

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

TEXT COLLECT Complaints & Reviews - CHARGED & NOT CONNECTED

TEXT COLLECT Contacts & Informations

TEXT COLLECT

Posted:    Cathy Carll

CHARGED & NOT CONNECTED

ON DECEMBER 20TH MY SON CALLED COLLECT FROM A JAIL IN MICHIGAN THROUGH TEXT COLLECT AND AFTER TRYING 6 TIMES AND BEING BILLED 6 TIMES THE AMOUNT OF 9.99 PER CALL FOR A 5 MINUTE CALL WE WERE CONNECTED 1 TIME FOR APPROXIMATELY 3 MIN. THEN DISCONNECTED WITHOUT NOTICE. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CALL A CELL PHONE ANYWAY I DO HAVE A HOME PHONE BUT THEY DO NOT SERVICE LANDLINES MY SON WAS TOLD.IT IS OUTRAGEOUS HOW THE SCAM PEOPLE WHO DESPERATELY NEED TO TALK TO LOVED ONES ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR.
Comments United States Mobile/Cellular Service Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More TEXT COLLECT complaints
TEXT COLLECT - Poor Service

Comments

27th of Dec, 2009 by   Mdenyko +1 Votes
I too have been charged for uncompleted calls. I finally called text collect to report the dropped call on Thanksgiving and received message that all representatives were busy and to leave a message. I did and received a call back the next day (on a Sunday) . .they cannot refund the cell phone and would send a check to my home address. We shall see what happens. . .
M
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   ostac1018@aol.com +1 Votes
Yes Text Collect is a horrible service and we should all report to the Better Business Bureau, for their scamming. I recieved 3 calls and each call was dropped and we were never connected not my fault. Now when I called Text Collect they said I was the jail's phone which was disconnected. I asked if I can get refunded they said "NO" because the call last longer than 30 seconds WHAT!!! Why would I talk to someone for a minute or 2 minutes to be charged $9.99 Im not that rich. They would not let me speak to a mananger and they put another phone Rep who thought she knew something instead she had no ansers and repeated the same thing over and over (Katy) Then they threaten to blacklist my #, I asked if they refund me my money then they can blacklist my #, they were stuck on their ways. I believe that the 20 minutes get charged when you except the call so how can you hang up within 30 seconds if the message take 1 minute to finish. Please report to BBB this needs to stop and Katy needs to be fired.
 20th of Mar, 2010 by   Tony252 +1 Votes
I too was charged for 2 calls that never went through and when calling and speaking with 3 different representatives, they all 3 told me I would not get a refund and that it is not their fault the jails phones were disconnected.If they are going to charge $9.99 for calls they should ensure that the phones are NOT going to disconnect!!! This is a scam and I work way to hard to just give my money away for service that were not fulfilled!
 13th of May, 2010 by   afb1302 +1 Votes
I also received a call from a jail. I was connected for about 2 seconds then disconnected. I still don't know who was trying to call me. I called AT&T and they said that they would put a note on my account and that if the charge showed up on my bill to call back to AT&T and they would have it removed. we'll see.
 19th of May, 2010 by   Moblmstr -1 Votes
Dear Text Collect Clients,

We are sorry for the few issues that you have had. We take the service very seriously, including having a great client experience. With every accepted call, you do receive a text receipt with a toll free number to call to remedy any poor experience or answer any questions you may have about the service. We have a very professionally trained group of client service folks as well as support tools to provide call detail information about each and every call. We also provide you the opportunity to never receive another Text Collect call again if you so choose. The whole intent of the program is to connect friends, family and loved ones with the incarcerated, and with the ever-diminishing number of home phones, collect calls to cell phones is truly a blessing.

Thanks,

David
 15th of Sep, 2010 by   Shesmiles86 +1 Votes
I've accepted 3 called and charged.., when they stated frm the county and instiution was am alling and the inmate who was callin which would be my father! I accept and talke to sum guy named Earl? Ugh my dads in WI and this Earl guy was in Fl and said he never heard of cloumbia county and was calling his wife and got me.. So I called a number he asked since it did cost me 9.99 a time.. I called the number they claim they can answer questions... I talked with 4 different women and they were rude and said no refund! I saiD I will no longer use r accept a collect call from this service and once again rude rude rude... WouldNt u make more money if the shit worked properly? And ensure that it did? And hired some real customer service specialists... dummys! It's a scam...
 12th of Mar, 2011 by   startijerina +1 Votes
I Have accepted 4 phone calls from my husband and they have been terminated within 10 mins of talk time and i paid for the call. I want a refund back or free calls or a free account!!!
 17th of Mar, 2011 by   GimmeAbreaK2011 -1 Votes
I received a call from my brother in Missouri last night. The call went through, gave me a 3 minute warning after a few minutes of talking and disconnected at jusy shy of 10 minutes. I immediately received a text message confirming the charge.

I'm usually the first one to balk at poor customer service or something I paid for not working as expected. However, I'm not entirely sure what people are expecting here. I don't think this is scam, instead I think it is a service that is subject to human error and less-than top of the line phones that are in county jails. I don't think that it is the company's fault that the phones don't work properly. Yes, a refund would be great, but the recording you hear, PRIOR to accepting the call, states that the call may not be the anticipated 10 minutes and could be much shorter for the same charge. Remember, you didn't have to accept the call in the first place and accepting 6 calls, none of which worked properly, or connecting to a stranger when the caller clearly states their name on the initial recording, seems a bit unintelligent to me.

There are several services out there that allow you to set money up on one phone number and the inmate can call you directly without having to accept anything or dial through a third-party. That way, you're in control of the amount if will cost you.

Or, perhaps a hand-written letter to the inmate would be more beneficial?
 15th of May, 2011 by   skylinejackjr +1 Votes
All telephone companies that provide "service" to incarcerated people are running a scam. MCI used to provide in certain parts of Louisiana and for whatever reason let Global Tel-Net take over their prison calls. Both charged $5.00 per 15 min. for a LOCAL call! Cheaper than Text Collect, yet still outrageous! Why does our government let these companies charge so much for these calls? This just puts extra strain on the family of the inmates. Please, someone needs to look into this ever growing scam!
 26th of Jun, 2011 by   Ruthie Ruth 0 Votes
text collect will not let your calls go thru, so they can force you to set
up an account with them. that is very unfair. when I spoke with some one they some one will get back with me. in asked them for thier location, their regulations in writing or someone above her she had no infomation to give. where do you go from herr?
 5th of Mar, 2012 by   Jonesysmom 0 Votes
I recieved two calls to my sprint phone each was 11 minutes and I actually did not get charged for the calls.
 13th of Jun, 2012 by   TextCollect +1 Votes
I'm actually a Text Collect Customer Agent, i don't know how the services were back then because i started at the beginning of this year. But, i DO know if you get disconnected; we can look into it and refund you accordingly. I know for a fact that 80% of our customer inquiries are for disconnections and we refund just about most of them. Obviously, alot of customers call saying they get disconnected at 8 Minutes, in a 10 Minute facility..of course we can't refund calls that were spoken on for almost the full duration.

And as far as "Forcing" you to make an account with securus. Thats not exactly true. Each facility uses a specific company to handle their calling services. So, Jails that our company service can also be serviced by Securus. Some jails can ONLY use Securus, some can ONLY use Global Tel-Link, some can ONLY use Tenetic LLC. So, instead of people saying we're a monopoly, we're not..we're just a company that the jail would like to use.

Sorry for the lateness of my comment.
 21st of Dec, 2012 by   DISGRUTAL CITIZEN 0 Votes
MY SON CALLED ME FROM BULLOCK CO. JAIL AND TEXT COLLECT BILLED ME AND DIDNOT CONNECTED THE CALL THIS A DISGRACE !!! OF HOW CONSUMMERS GET RIPPED OFF IN TODAYS SOCITY BY SUPPOSELY LEGAL SERVICES!!!
 22nd of Dec, 2012 by   TextCollect 0 Votes
DISGRUTAL CITIZEN

Did you call them?

If you're ever charged without the call getting connected they can reimburse you with no problems; all you have to do is give them your name and phone number. If it's a Text Collect call and you have AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon you can be refunded right to your phone bill.
 15th of Jan, 2013 by   Ahyatt 0 Votes
I got charged for 4 calls and I didn't have anybody in jail for them to call me. Did they get a number mix up or something .
 15th of Jan, 2013 by   TextCollect 0 Votes
Ahyatt

Were you charged to your cellular bill or your credit or debit card?
 1st of Dec, 2013 by   mbee1 0 Votes
You and I and clearly thousands of others have been ripped off by this evil company. I am trying to gather names of others so a class action lawsuit can be filed.

For Securus Customers:

Securus (and other companies that provide phone service for inmates) has to comply with the new FCC ruling by February 11th of 2014. This will cap the long distance fees and some of the other bogus fees they charge. It does not apply to local call rates, and it doesn't address their refund policy, which should be criminal. They refuse to issue refunds for calls made to cell phones - even though SECURUS DISCONNECTS THE CALL - they charge for the maximum time, 20 minutes, even if they disconnect the call after one minute.

I've googled and found a ridiculous amount of complaints, many about the same issues - dropped calls, no refunds, poor quality service, rude and inept customer service.

I am contacting other customers who have filed complaints, when their contact information is available. I want to use social networking to find more, collect names, and organize. To be included, please send your contact info to ClassActionSecurus@gmail.com.

Please share this email with others who have been ripped off.
 16th of Jan, 2014 by   melbell222 0 Votes
I can't get through to the number that was texted to me from textcollect. I recieved two calls that disconnected right away and I called for a refund since it was disconnected. They said the refund would reflect on my cell phone bill within two days. This was over two weeks ago and there is no refund. I have been trying to call for three days now and the call won't even go through. Someone please help.
 27th of Mar, 2014 by   josephinem 0 Votes
How do you add money to text collect for someone to call?

Know Your Online Pharmacy