logo

Refund Policy

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Terrible Herbst Hotel & Casino - Las Vegas, Nevada Complaints & Reviews - Stay away from any of Terrible's establishments!

Terrible Herbst Hotel & Casino - Las Vegas, Nevada Contacts & Informations

Terrible Herbst Hotel & Casino - Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted:    Tony

Stay away from any of Terrible's establishments!

Terrible Herbst Hotel & Casino, on Paradise & Flamingo in Las Vegas, NV.
Herbst Brothers listed as non-caring.

While the Herbst brothers seem to be buying up a lot of properties and expanding their "family" owned operations; gas stations, hotels, and casinos, they seem to have lost sight of what is most important, and that is customer service. When small companies go "corporate", it is unfortunate that the "corporate" officers lose touch with their day-to-day operations. The Herbst brothers have fallen into the category of CEO's, Presidents, and Vice-Presidents that are now so far removed from the reality of their own business, they have forgotten who keeps them in business to begin with: Their customers.

In most cases, when a customer goes un-heard and they file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, someone from the corporate office responds immediately to the customer directly, first, before they answer a BBB complaint. Not responding to a BBB complaint is almost unheard of, unless of course the corporate officers do not care to begin with. This seems to be my recent experience with Terribles Casino in Las Vegas.

Normally, a customer, who has complaints, should be heard on a much lower level of communication; Slot hosts and marketing directors. If there is no response, a letter is written to the corporate office. If it still goes unheard, it goes to the BBB, and possibly the Gaming Commission. Where do they go if it still goes unheard? Today, we have the Internet, newspapers, and newscasters if they will listen.

My mother and I have been, what we consider to be, dedicated, almost daily patrons of the Terribles Casino in Las Vegas, on Paradise, for approximately 3-4 years now. Shortly after the first of the year, there were a few things that were happening that I did not care for, so I thought I would let them know, thinking, of course, they would like to know. Normally, when good customers complain, customers, who have been dedicated patrons for 3-4 years, and have close to $1,700,000 in, in and out slot play, a slot host or marketing director would respond immediately and amicably. Not at Terribles. They have proven they simply do not care.

One thing they are known for doing is making their customers wait in long lines to the players club. They want you to use their players club card for all of their promotions, but whether or not you actually have one, is of no concern to them. Just to get a replacement card can take 30-40 minutes. While I have been told you can ask a floor supervisor, or pit boss for one; try asking one and see if they will do it. Even the ones that you tip generously will not go out of their way to help you. Some of them use to, and one or two who know us, will, but the new employees they hire, and there are a lot, are simply not trained in customer service. Apparently this attitude starts at the top.

Another thing they are known for doing is pulling progressive jackpots when they get too large. There were four Monte Carlo quarter machines pulled, because one jackpot had reached $15,000 and capped, and another one had gone over $25,200, obviously, not capped. They refused to respond to my complaint on this. I had to call the gaming commission to make sure it was legal, which it is, as long as they put the money back onto the floor. Apparently, they did, but broke the amounts up into "smaller" amounts through different machines. While this might be legal, it certainly is not right. Not when dedicated customers have been playing those machines and hoping to hit the progressive amounts. Our money built those amounts. Generally, they add one cent to the progressive amount for every dollar you put in. They certainly made enough off these progressives to pay them.

The one thing that truly sent me over the edge was a misprint in their quarterly magazine. They had advertised "Terribles Chevron" gas cards, only to be used at Terribles, a $100 card for 20,000 points (one point equals one dollar). Well, when we went to get one, we were advised that was a misprint and could not have one for that. They were 40,000 points. To honor this misprint would have cost them absolutely nothing, because it was card that could only be used at "their" service stations.

In actuality, it did cost them a great deal. It cost them two customers who generate $1,700,000 in slot play a year, and two customers who will no longer use their service stations, convenience centers, or car washes. A good "Slot Host" or "Marketing Director" has the authority to make good customers happy, and what Tawnya Moens, our slot host, should have done, is walk behind the counter and issue a $100 card at no charge, knowing there were a list of complaints that she had never responded to in the first place. It would have cost the company nothing, and kept two good daily patrons coming back to their establishments. We would have used the $100 at their service stations, money right back into their pocket, and then gone back out onto the casino floor, happy to play $100 or more. Instead, she advised there was nothing she could do, and that "I" should talk to the Marketing Director, Mark Sterbens Jr. I told her that was not my place it was hers. Well, she did, and the only response I received to any of my complaints was a very passive aggressive response from Mark Sterbens Jr. that "Perhaps Terribles wasn't the right place for us to play."

Needless to say, we have not been back since. I did write a letter to the BBB, which was responded to by Mark Sterbens Sr. (the father of Mark Sterbens Jr.) matter of factly stating that everything they did was legal, never to us as dedicated patrons. I rebutted his response, which was never responded to and has been in limbo at the BBB for months now. I also wrote a letter to their President, Bill Herbst, which was never responded to, and their GM, Tim Herbst, also never responded to. I suppose I have now fallen into the category of a disgruntled patron, whom they could care less if I returned or not.

Fortunately, there are a lot of Casinos in Las Vegas, and most slot hosts, marketing directors, even Presidents and CEO's, know the value of dedicated "daily" patrons that generate $1,700,000 in play through their casino. I say, shame on them, and would advise that you stay away from any of their establishments.
Comments United States Entertainment
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Apr, 2009 by   carpetbeetle 0 Votes
I agree with these commenets 100%. After miserable experiences in the RV parkk and casino buffet in Osceola, IA, I will neve darken their doorsteps again, anywhere.
E Thomas
 30th of Aug, 2010 by   Anteah 0 Votes
On August 28th 2010 my car rearended a car in front of it while being on the car wash conveyor due to the car wash employees not watching the process closely and perhaps not pressing the stop button (or the such) when it was required. As a result my front undercarriage detached on the freeway and made my car swerve uncontrollably as I was picking up wind between the bumper and the dragging undercarriage (speeds of the freeway traffic are 65 miles per hour). I had to pull off on the shoulder lane and stop so hard as to not to spin out that I suffered whiplash. I at that point decided that it is not safe to sit on the shoulder lane and proceeded slowly towards the nearest exit and parked at the first parking lot. My husband arrived and with the use of his truck and trailer towed the car home. Since I did not file an incidence report or called an ambulance the Terrible Herbst is treating it as though I can’t sue them and therefore are being less than helpful to put it mildly. I called and spoke with the location manager multiple times and the main office. The main office (Rebecca) told me to bring the car to the location and let them look at it. I explained to her that I can’t do that because my car is not in driving condition, and I feel it is unsafe to drive it and that I either can take pictures or they can come out and look at it but she stated that there is not much she can do and I have to somehow bring it over to them. The trailer that my husband used was a rental and I feel that it is absolutely unfair for me to have to rent a trailer and haul my car over to them just to hear how it is not their fault. I hold that stance in part because when speaking to the manager (Mark) of the location where my car was damaged he pretty much said that he knew for the fact (which is impossible) that what happened at the car wash could not have damaged it to the point that the front undercarriage would pop out. My car is 2007 and I never had any problems with it. It happened 15 minutes or even less after I left the car wash. I even gave a tip. What a shame.. It is obvious to anyone that their negligence lead to that skid plate/undercarriage to dislodge from underneath the bumper (after all that was the part that was in contact with the other car). I had to pull over so hard (or I would spin out on a freeway) that I suffered a whiplash and now am suffering from neck and back pain as well a headache. I feel that their criminal negligence (especially that NO ONE looked at my car after that to see if anything was wrong with it underneath) caused me a variety of trouble, financial, health and just simply time and their taking stance that they are not liable simply because I didn’t write it on the paper (filed a report) or called an ambulance (I hate the idea of wasting the taxpayers money on a whiplash, I truly apologize for that) shows what type of company they truly are. I could have at least been offered an apology and an offer to fix my car. But instead I got tons of lies and they didn’t care that I was there and seen everything with my own eyes. At this point I am just contacting as many organizations as possible with my complaint as there must be some recourse for what has transpired. They should not get off scot-free simply because they feel that they can win the case in court. I am still hurt and my car is still damaged. That should count for something.

Shopping By Season