logo

Posted:    Adam

Awful quality products

Tempur-Pedic
tempurpedic.com
Tempurpedic products are now in better mattress stores on the West Coast and since the price seems to be fairly fixed, I decided to purchase the mattress from and the you the manufacture even through there were additional transportation cost., so that I could enjoy any benefits of a direct relationship with you. I was impressed with the quality of the product, the knowledge of the sales person and the service I received before the sale.

The first night on my new Tempurpedic was great! I don't think I turned over once throughout the whole night. Unfortunately this "restful bliss" was short lived. Mid way through the first month, I realized that I was a little stiff each morning despite a regular exercise program. I had been told that this mattress required a little "getting used to, " so I didn't give it much thought.

By the end of the 5th month however, my "stiffness" had become so pronounced that it was actually painful to get out of bed in the morning. I noticed also that I was getting only about three or four hours of "good" sleep each night, followed by a couple hours of tossing and turning. By the end of the sixth month, I had developed an almost continuous pain in my lower back and it was now taking a half a day to recover from the stiffness I was experiencing each morning. I then started a rather travel pace, that I didn’t get back to the issue until about midsummer this year.

Because everyone I had talked with who had a Tempurpedic had nothing but praise for it, I began to think that maybe there was something wrong with me, so I stayed with the bed a little longer. I visited my doctor, and was told that he had been treating a few people who had a Tempurpedic bed and was experiencing similar issues. I started sleeping in the guest room. After two months on a queen sized Simmons Beauty rest, my aches and pain was almost gone. This convinced me that the Tempurpedic was the problem. Fortunately, (so I thought) I might be able to exchange the Tempurpedic mattress for a mattress that didn’t dip in the middle. Buying my bed directly from you turned out to be a major disadvantage instead of having bought it from a reputable dealer and not from the factory. I think I would be treated a lot differently.

I am really disappointed with my experience because I really wanted to like this mattress. In retrospect, I think it was simply too soft. Upon first lying down, the feeling was wonderful. But as my body heat warmed the material, it became softer in the middle where I sleep (it dips more the middle than it does then on the sides, when I am lying on it) Once my pain began, I started paying more attention to the mattress. I found that by morning, the area directly under my body was much softer than the area where no one had been sleeping. This softness is what I think was causing my back pain. I have always slept on a firmer mattress.

I don't think it would be fair to overly criticize (at this point) this product because there are too many other people who like it. For me however, the Tempurpedic was totally unsatisfactory. I have made a request after talking to your customer service person, who says that the mattress has to be defected because that’s not the way the material is not suppose to do that.

I did what she asked, (stripping the bedding off & taking a picture of the bed, and filling out the appropriate paperwork, ) only to be told that I need to do it again, what on earth do you expect to see?, you have to lay on the bed in order to understand the difference between the middle and the sides of the mattress. I have really given this bed a chance, this is your chance to do the right thing, and I expect to get this resolved without being made to feel like I did something wrong by buying your product. Unfortunately I am going to copy your VP of customer service, you CEO, and a friend who is a television consumer advocate who will shine the light on this on a more macro level, only because I think this is what this situation is going to require in order for you to do the right thing, and even if you don’t, it may save someone else from having to go through the same issue.
Comments United States Furniture
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Dec, 2009 by   Steve Miller1 0 Votes
I have the same complaint. However; with the first mattress I had there was no problem. The problem began when the mattress was replaced (permanent sag) with a very cheap version that's compatible with a sheet of plywood. My problem was dealing directly with the company. They are very difficult to deal with and the matter was never resolved. I would never buy another one from them and when I pass by their stores I do my best to let customers know what they are getting into.
 10th of Jun, 2010 by   Mike Beauregard 0 Votes
I have the same issue and my wife has not slept in our bed for over a year. But mine is the sides, each side is soft where you can roll to the outside and off the bed but good luch rolling to the middle. It takes all your effort to roll to the middle so if you are just laying still then it feels like you are fighting with the center and all lopsided. I have been a couple of months trying to explain this to the dealer and get a replacement. The technician came to the house and used a piece of string and said well no sag to this bed... I almost fell over saying that is not the problem. This is a memory foam mat and it goes back to its original but the density or strength is not the same through out the mattress, he said it looks fine to me and sat on it and said seems good. We asked hime to take it home and sleep on it for a night and then try to tell me it is fine. I feel deprived of my sleep the last year and I have lost the warmth of having my wife beside me at night. If I can save one person from experiencing this dreadful life I am dealing with from the lack of sleep and the sore body and aches that take hours to go away and then really never do then I am glad you read this.

If there is anyone stating a class action please let me know so I can join. My email is mickey__b@hotmail.com there are 2 underscores in my email
 24th of Oct, 2010 by   HollyZ 0 Votes
Adam's story sounds like mine. I have owned my Tempur-Pedic for around 5 years and I want to love it... I really do, but I now have chronic low back and hip pain and I'm realizing more and more each day my pain is caused from this mattress. I loved my Tempur-Pedic the first year or so (after the initial "getting used to it" period), but I've been struggling to "love" it ever since, and I feel stuck. I paid so much money for the damn thing I can't see getting rid of it. I mean, isn't it suppose to be a "high-end" mattress? Isn't it the best of the best? If so, why am I sore every morning? Why do I have this low back - hip pain only when I sleep on this mattress? I have spent the day reading negative reviews and each story sounds like mine. I am a PTA and I've suggested this mattress to my patients... I think I regret that now. I wish I would have known about the negative effects of this mattress BEFORE I spent 5 grand on it. Now what?

Does anyone want to buy a Tempur-Pedic?
 15th of Feb, 2012 by   marcia poll 0 Votes
My complaint is the same as the stories above, i really tried to like the mattresses but i can't because it has given me lower back and hip pain, when i first get up i can't hardly get out of bed, the mattresses looks good till i get into it and then it sags really bad in the middle.. For the money we paid we should be able to get a really good sleep the only time i sleep well is when i sleep on the couch, and i don't ache in the morning. Also my foundation squeak's they should change it for us. Will they even read this and get back to us?
 17th of Nov, 2012 by   CATHY DUFOUR 0 Votes
THESE MATTRESSES ARE EXTREMELY PRICY AND ADVERTIZED TO MAKE YOU THINK THEY ARE THE TOP OF THE LINE FOR BACK PROBLEMS, WHEN IN REALITY THEY ARE CAUSING NUMEROUS MEDICAL PROBLEMS FOR THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE
THERE ARE SO MANY PROBLEMS AND SO MANY COMPLAINTS FROM PEOPLE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY THAT I FEEL WRITING OUT MY MINE WILL JUST BE ONE MORE IN THE PILE.
ALONE OUR COMPLAINTS ARE LANDING ON DEAF EARS. THE COMPANY AND THE STORES THAT ARE SELLING THESE
HARMFUL PRODUCTS ARE NOT LISTENING. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING AS A GROUP. I WAS HOPING A CLASS ACTION SUIT WOULD BE INITIATED BY SOMEONE BY NOW BUT SEEING IT HAS NOT, I GUESS I AM GOING TO CALL A FEW LAW FIRMS IN MICHIGAN AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT THE WAY THIS COMPANY MISLEADS AND DOES BUSINESS.
HOPE WE GET HEARD AND REIMBURSED.

Health Care Without Insurance - Medishare