logo

Posted:    NJDON

background music

All stations
Cranford, New Jersey
Lately it seems producers are adding so much background music its almost impossible to hear what is being said. IT'S TOO LOUD!!! I got so frustrated last night watching undercover boss that I turned it off. I'm sure the advertisers are happy to know that I for one didn't see their commercials. It used to be mostly on documentaries or BRitish tv shows but now it poping up everwhere. Why all the noise polution, can't we just hear what people are saying
Comments United States TV, Music & Video
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Apr, 2010 by   TPRP 0 Votes
It drives me crazy! I agree 100%, along with my husband. There are several shows on TV we enjoy, but the background music is so loud, we cannot hear much of the dialogue. Why are TV producers doing this? I wonder what can be done about it, because it is really frustrating. Anyone know where we can petition, not that anyone would listen to us. Besides, there's so much background music, I'm sure they couldn't listen if they wanted to!
 28th of May, 2010 by   mwgarrett 0 Votes
Background music is way too loud in tv shows and most movies.
Voices are more important and should be easier to hear and understand.
Kill the loud music please! - mg ( Rochester, NY)
 8th of Jun, 2010 by   james pacenti 0 Votes
I agree 100 percent, loud backround music diminishes the enjoyment of the movie or tv show. There must be something available to correct this problem.
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   Frank Eaton 0 Votes
It is not only the soaps which are accompanied by a ridiculous level of background noise but serious documentaries are backed with terrible droning "music".This is sometimes so loud that the comentator can not be heard clearly.
Recent examples such as the Brian Cox Science series and th more recent Manchester United history programme were completely ruined and I found I had to switch off. Who are the people responsible for this?
Frank Eaton
 18th of Mar, 2012 by   jean forley 0 Votes
Background music is becoming so obnoxious, I'm actually changing my television watching habits. Tonight I was trying to watch a segment on 20/20 but the background music was so cacaphonic, I had to stop watching. I'll admit, Dateline NBC had just covered the same subject and I already sat through an hour of loud background music. No way I could tolerate another hour, even though I would have liked to see CBS's version of the same topic.
I don't even find the background music to be necessary, much less louder than the narrator or host.
Who is responsible for this? Why has it become foreground music?
I have watched shows like Real World where they play songs in the background and it is pleasant and enhances the show without masking the dialogue.
I hate this trend and I'm not alone. If producers don't change, I will. This is just the push I need to curtail my tv watching. It's not enjoyable any more and is in fact downright irritating.
 29th of Mar, 2012 by   foggysail 0 Votes
THE STINKING CONSTANT DRUMMING drives me to switch channels!!! But there is no escape, what sounds like identical mood noise in on ALL CHANNELS except for news.

WHAT ARE TV PRODUCERS THINKING????? Do they actually believe MOOD NOISE add benefits to programming??

STOP THE NOISE!!! STOP THE MUSIC!!!
 16th of Jul, 2012 by   peterlyn +1 Votes
My wife and I have sold our TV set and replaced it with Monitor screen just linked to our DVD player to enable us to watch our collection of movies and boxed sets of all the old TV series which we all enjoyed in the 70's and 80's, when TV programs were made by sane people with lots of experience in the industry and understood the meaning of the word quality. Today's TV seems to be made by teenagers especially for teenagers. The constant manic drum beats, and the frantic computer generated noise (so called music), in the background of all programs, coupled with the gabbled unclear speech and foul language after 9.00 PM, has finally pushed us over the edge. We also use our radio for the news and weather forecasts.

peterlyn
 16th of Jul, 2012 by   foggysail 0 Votes
We need a movement though not the type of movement that currently is being dumped on viewers by TV producers! YES, we should all try to get others to WRITE LETTERS--- not emails to those producers responsible for the program crap (literally) littered with obnoxious loud background noise and demand that it be stopped!

Foggysail
 4th of Oct, 2012 by   John O'Neill 0 Votes
I totally agree with the above comments I'm sick and tired of the background music on most TV shows .What can be done about it ?
 4th of Oct, 2012 by   John O'Neill 0 Votes
Just let people what the show without the background garbage.
 4th of Oct, 2012 by   little running beer 0 Votes
Such stupid music!
Correction
Just let people watch the shows without the background garbage
 16th of Nov, 2012 by   Bill Parr 0 Votes
The loud background music at the beginning of Grey's Anatomy last night was absolutely annoying. I had to rewind the program and use the mute button so I could then read what was being said by the actors. Shonda Rhimes wake up...save some of your show's production costs and lose the background music on your shows. Nobody is going to miss the unnecessary music.
 16th of Nov, 2012 by   Enoon 0 Votes
Why is no one listening and doing something about the constant totally irrelevant loud music on tv and radio. It is like having the radio off station and discordant. I have perfect hearing but cannot hear the dialogue very often and resort to subtitles usually giving up in the end. As for commercials I don't know why they bother I always turn it to mute.
 24th of Dec, 2012 by   JJ STARKS 0 Votes
I'VE FOUND NBC IS HAVING LOUD BLASTING MUSIC ON THEIR SHOWS AND I WONDER WHY.? I HAVE STOPPED WATCHING REVOLUTION, LAW & ORDER SVU, DATELINE & ROCK CENTER WHICH ARE ALL THE NBC SHOWS I WATCH, EXCEPT, I AM TRYING TO HANG ON TO CHICAGO FIRE BUT IT'S REALLY GETTING BAD. I HAVE SEEN THE ADS FOR THE NEW DECEPTION AND THE AD IS DROWNED OUT TOO. I WON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH IT. WHY DOES NBC WANT TO COVER ALOT OF THE IMPORTANT DIALOG WITH BLASTING BACKGROUND MUSIC?? I LOVE SMASH AND HOPE WHEN IT AIRS THIS SEASON, THEY DON'T DESTROY IT TOO. I'LL JUST BE WATCHING ANOTHER CHANNEL WHERE WE CAN HEAR THE DIALOG AND ENJOY THE SHOWS.
 7th of Jan, 2013 by   foggysail 0 Votes
SPREAD THE WORD FOLKS!!!

The IDENTICAL noise is found EVERYWHERE!!! I now notice that even Fox's morning group has added background drumming. WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING?????

Foggysail
 26th of Apr, 2013 by   Enoon 0 Votes
why can't programme makers understand why so many people complain of the " nasty noise" on all programmes now and is Italy irrelevant to the mood? many people I mention it to don't know or can't be bothered to complain as we on here do. I haven't watched or heard an advert for years as the sound blasts out and I' not prepared to be assaulted by the dreadful noise. Please please will someone explain why the programme people feel it is so essential?
 26th of Apr, 2013 by   foggysail 0 Votes
FROM MY ABOVE POST:

"There is only one way to get network attention and that is by complaining. Tell your friends, family member to email, write letters, that is the only hope we have to stop this nonsense."
 26th of Apr, 2013 by   Enoon 0 Votes
But who or where do they complain to ?
 26th of Apr, 2013 by   foggysail 0 Votes
Viewer relations, viewer feedback, program director... check the program's website. There is usually a list of contacts that you could sent complaints to. I think I have hit just about all of teh Discovery series viewer realtions and so forth. They always send a nice email, sometimes a letter thanking me for expressing my views. In them they go on to say my letter/email was sent to for review to...

And then they ignore me, keep the noise coming so much so that I have resorted to putting the TV on CC with the volume shut off.

4 Uncommon Ways to Earn More Cash