logo

target stores
n. main Street
Salinas, California
target.com
In December 2011. I purchased a product for eyelash growth, enhancement, etc. which was the last one they had on the floor. I was looking forward to start using it that night; however when I opened the box, it was empty. I returned to Target the next day, with my receipt and explained to the service desk what happened. The customer service lady I spoke with was very polite, checked with someone and told me I couldn't return it, but could exchange it for one with the actual product inside, which was what I wanted. This would be the end of the story if they had the product in stock, but it was sold out. When I went back to the service desk she said to check back in a few days when they would have a chance to restock. Since Target is across town from where I live, I decided to check back when I made my weekly visit (usually Thurs, Fri., or Sat P.M.) to buy live food for my fish at the the pet store which is in the same shopping complex. The second time, again, I checked in with the service desk, explained the situation to a different customer service lady who was very nice, and who actually walked with me to the cosmetic department. Once again, the product was sold out. She apologized, and asked that I check back. I told her, no problem. The next week, after I went to the pet store, I again checked in with the service desk where I explained everything to a different person who said to go ahead bring the product back to the service desk to make the exchange when I get it. I told her that I also had other purchases to make, and she said to bring it all to the service desk and they would ring everything up there (I thought that was really nice). I was surprised that the product was again sold out. I went back every week (I decided not to check in with the service desk and repeat my story every time)after I went to the pet store, with the exception of maybe 2 times to check to see if they had it in, but EVERY TIME this product was sold out until finally, last week, they had it in stock! I took it up to the service desk (with my full basket of groceries, staples, DVDs, etc) . The customer service lady that I spoke with the very first time, was there, and she remembered me and the situation. She referred me to her superior ( I guess a supervisor), who looked at my receipt, said "just a minute, I need to check on something" and left for what I'm guessing was about 10 minutes or so. When she came back, she informed me that she was looking for security footage to verify that this product was really sold out, but couldn't verify my "story" because of the camera angle, and the fact that the security tapes only go back 30 days. She said that since my receipt was 3 days past the deadline of their return policy, they couldn't and wouldn't honor the exchange. She stated that it was store policy.
"Are you kidding me?" was my first response. This isn't something that I waited to return. I was in Target weekly to find this product sold out. What was the point of making me wait while she checked the security tape if she wasn't going to let me exchange this because of store policy? I just want what I paid for. "Nope sorry". I was stunned when I explained the time line, how they were constantly sold out, who I spoke with at customer service, but it didn't matter.
I'm not trying to return something past the deadline. I don't want my money back. I just want what I paid for and never got in December. I want what I went weekly to check on. I feel cheated. I got ripped off. I think this is bad customer service and shows a store lacking in integrity and common decency.
Comments United States Retail Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Protect Yourself from Cell Phone Spying