Target Corporation

Posted:

Debit Card Scam

4.25
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I have shopped for years at this Target store as it is one of the limited choices we have in Jacksonville, NC. I have experienced bad service and attitude from a lot of the employees and overcharges at the register but this last experience really takes the cake. I had recently received a letter from Target stating that my Target card qualified me for 5% discount on all purchases made with my card. However when I went to use the card it was now closed due to inactivity. I decided to go ahead and get another card and went with the Target Red Debit card since I usually like to use cash. The cashier told me it was just like using a check or my own debit card and that the funds would just be transferred from my bank account. That sounded pretty good as I debit anyway and now I would get a 5% discount. I proceeded to make a $200 purchase that first day and when I received the debit card in the mail a week later, I went to the store and made another purchase for almost $200 again. The cashier at that time helped me locate a piggy bank that my son had been looking for so I proceeded back into the store to purchase it. That made my second transaction of the day. I went home but my daughter requested pain medication so I went back to the Target and got a basket of goods totaling about $40. Upon trying to use the debit card I was declined which totally threw me. I tried to ask the cashier what could be the problem since I had just used it but she smirked at me, shrugged her shoulders, and said there was nothing she could do to help me figure out what happened. I asked if the service desk would be able to help but she just shrugged her shoulders again and said I could try. The customers behind me were staring, the cashier was still smirking, and I was getting worried that my card and bank account had been tampered with. I quickly paid with my regular debit card which went through with no problem at all and rushed home to call the Target Debit card 1-888 number. I waited on hold for a while, explained my situation, and quickly got transferred to another division. I again waited a while and was finally greeted by an Indian lady who kept repeating the transactions I had completed during the day and that I had too many transactions and I had to wait a few days until the transactions cleared the system. What?! Who ever heard of a debit card that would only work twice every few days? When I asked her for details about how many transactions were allowed per how many days, she claimed that there was no way of knowing. I pointed out that the debit card was basically worthless than if I couldn't depend on using it and that I would never have signed up for a Target Debit card if I had known that it wasn't usable and that there would be not discount available. She said there was no way to know any details in order to clarify use of the card and when I asked to speak to someone who would know the details of the Target Red card, she said there was nobody who knew. I was flabbergasted! I asked her if she truly meant that Target offered a card without disclosing details to its consumers and she again reiterated that there was no way to know what kind of system the Target store had and that it would be dependant on several factors whether I would be able to use the Target Debit card on any given day but she didn't know what those factors are. I asked her if there was anybody at all I could speak with that could help me unravel the mysteries and she referred me to the 1-888 number I originally called. I pointed out that I had called that number and they transferred me to her since they said they couldn't help me but she kept saying I had to talk to them again. I asked her to transfer me back which she said she could but after waiting a while she said she couldn't transfer me at all and she hurriedly put me on hold listening to music before I could say anything. When I realized that she had left me hanging, I hung up and went through the whole rigamarole of the Target phone line and ended up with another Target associate finally. She cheerily explained that Target didn't "know" me and that they would limit my transactions until they did. When I asked her the time frame they would need to get to "know" me she said she didn't know and that I would have to use some other form of payment. I pointed out that the purpose of getting the card was to receive the 5% discount which their denials effectivedly canceled and she shrugged that off as unimportant. I pointed out that I had needlessly endured public humiliation due to their unpublished policies and she shrugged that off too. I finally pointed out that it seemed like a case of "bait and switch" since Target advertised a 5% discount if you used their Red Card but then they had these hidden policies that prevented you from using the card or receiving the discount you had bargained for. Instead you made purchases thinking you were getting the discount only to be denied the discount and instead receive a heaping dose of humiliation and condescending attitude from the cashier. She shrugged me off again but did throw me a bone by saying she would bring that issue up at her leadership meeting...hm, thanks for the help? I wrote to the Target customer service help email and received a message from another cheery Target associate who told me I needed to call this number, yep, you guessed it, the 1-888 number that I had been dealing with already! Um, thanks for the help again? I think that Target has been reduced to a scamming store if they are reduced to tricking customers with false advertised discounts and then brushing them off when they ask for help or clarification of policies. I am writing a letter to corporate officials and if I don't receive any response then I will definitely take my shopping elsewhere and advise others to do the same.
Complaint comments Comments (225) Complaint country United States Complaint category Department Stores

Comments

6th of Oct, 2006 by    0 Votes

AffiliateTarget.com - Unlawful hijacking of people's computer media

I wish that someone could do something about unlawful hijacking of people's computer media. Web companies such as Doubleclick.net and Affiliatetarget.com are desteuctive advertisers who attach to any web address you are searching. I have been unable to surf the net safely without having my viewing content destroyed and disrupted. These companies do not have the right and freedom to destroy people's viewing content. Even though I have malware software, Internet Explorer folds everytime it is breached. This is a very serious matter since other businesses, people and possibly government agencies are affected.. Affiliatetarget.com needs to be exposed for who they are and place in jail. Thank you very much.
 15th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes

Target / TruTech TV - Problems with TruTech TV

Target should be boycotted for selling this selling a TV that is as sorry as tru-tech. I paid almost a $1000.00 for this TV it worked about 4 month with a 90 day warranty. After calling target for 3 months they finally give a number to tru-tec. trutech wanted to box it up and ship it to buffalo, ny at my expense. So i took it to a local repair shop because the freight to send it back was so expensive, the local shop could not fix it because there is no schematic diagram no where for trutech. So i called trutech back and they advised that there is no diagram for their electronic equipment. I urgently ask for people to boycott target for selling the sorry products that they do and not standing behind it.
 10th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

On Target Grants - Unauthorised charges

It is not OK to take money from pplz Acts /50$ was taking from my bank this morning by ON Taget Grants!
 13th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

On Target Grants - Unauthorised charges

I got billed by On Target Grants and read about other complaints. I called the service number from my bill, 866-407-1028, and a rep., Robin, said she would cancel my account (which I didn't set up) and refund me the last months charges. I was pleasantly surprised. I am waiting to see if the money is refunded and if I get billed again or not but I do suggest calling.
 5th of Nov, 2007 by    0 Votes

Target - poor return policy

11/05/2007
I received 2 items as a gift just yesterday tried them on when I came home - the clothing didn't fit. The person I received the gift from thought what they gave me was the gift receipt but come to find out when trying to return the item at target it was just there survey portion of the receipt. I stated an in-store credit would be fine but was told that due to a new policy started in August they could not implement this for any items over $20. Of course this was very upsetting to me and asked what would they be doing once the holiday season came around and people didn't receive a gift receipt etc... etc... Of course she could not explain she only enforces the policies dictated by there corporate offices and gave me the number to guest services who in turn gave me the same information.

This corporation is treating all of their customers like thieves and needs to be banned - there is no other store that I know of that has a policy such as this - all stores at least give in store credit - the items I had totaled maybe $40 dollars.

This policy is only in existence in hopes to keep this corporation profitable!
 31st of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes

Target - Deceptive Return Policy
North Carolina

I continue to be disappointed in Target's return policy. I have been a customer of Target for the last 10 years and I can assure you I will be no longer. Target states they value you as a customer but their return policy does not take into account the value of an individual customer to Target. Why would a company as large as Target not have a customer card to track the value of the individual consumer? Do you really want to lose a customer that spends on average $300-500 a month? Not a good business just to offset returns? Target's competition has very customer focused return policies- Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, LandsEnd, etc, etc. My husband wanted a store credit for an item given to him as a gift for Christmas. We did not have the gift receipt and felt it was very, very tacky asking for the gift receipt so we could return a gift purchased. We were told that since the value of the item was over $20.00 they could not help us. Target's policy does not state a dollar limit.
 4th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
You are right Target does not say anywhere that their is a dollar limit. But it does clearly state on the back of your reciept, at every register as well as behind the Guest Services counter that "A reciept dated within 90 days is needed for ALL returns and exchanges." So yes you are correct that it doesn't state a dollar amount for returns. It's your fault you lost your reciept, so you are responsible for not being able to return your item.
 26th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
Oh. My Gosh. How tacky are you to be complaining about this??? You got a gift for Christmas, didn't want it, and now you are being greedy by trying to return it for credit? If the policy says no returns without a receipt, then it is what it is. What are you whining about? It is amusing that you are so concerned about looking tacky by asking for the gift receipt (yes, that is tacky), but apparently you are not TOO concerned about looking tacky because here you are trying to return it anyway. You are just pouting because you didn't get your way. Get over it.
 3rd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Target Stores Onalaska wi - Employee doesn't know return policy
Onalaska
Wisconsin

I would never buy a computer without a acceptable return policy. The store had 5 computers that had been returned unopend by someone who had bought them from Target online and so they were greatley reduced in price. The salesman assured me that I could return them up to 90 days if there was anything wrong with them. After I bought it I asked a female store manager (or, assistant mgr.) about the return policy in order to confirm what the salesman told me. She said that it could not be returned because it was sold "as-is". So, the salesman told me wrong by mistake I'm sure. Neverthelss, simple common sense should dictate that the store stand behind what their salesman had said. I asked the mgr if she would at least check with the salesman to confirm what he had told me and she did do this, but her voice was shaking as if she was caught . Anyway, I kept the computer and learned on line that others have had the same problems with that model as I have: Toshiba Portege R205-S209 . It's a very disfunctional piece of junk much of the time and I would have returned it if I could have.
 26th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
I visited one of your stores in b.r. louisiana with my 2 kids. I was returning something. an associate by the name of brandi was very rude and also called me fat in front of my kids. management did nothing, but my daughter was in tears which management saw. I want something done about this matter. My daughter is very hurt and keeps asking me why did she say that and that when we go to other stores no calls me fat. This may lead to therapy for my daughter which target will be responsible for. My cell number is 225-993-5568 and my home is 225-257-4915. please contact me about this matter.
 15th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes

Target - Rude and unfriendly
target.com

Today 7/14 I went to Target located at Brookhurst St, Garden Grove, normally I will avoid this store because their associates and specially the security man are the most rude of all Target stores I had visited. I wanted to exchange repeats toys my Tot got for his birthday, all the boxes are big so I needed a cart, I parked way far from the entrance (no front row parking) and spotted a cart nearby, when I walked to the cart one of Target associate came at the same time to retrieve it, I called and said 'excuse me, I need the cart please' he just walk by in front of my nose, I repeated 'excuse me' 3 times but he kept walking on, so I run to the front and said 'excuse me can I have one cart please'? His answer was: 'NO' and kept walking, so I said 'excuse me?' (As in 'why') and he said 'NOT WORKING' ... Weird ... he can push the cart and the cart is not locked, so why is not working? ... at this point I decided to go in the store and get the cart which he yelled at me saying: 'The cart is not working, the 'Wheels too Wobbly' ... ok ... But guess where he put the carts he retrieved from the parking lot which he won't give to the customer who needed it? Inside the store with all others carts! Good thing was the girl who attended my exchange were friendly, security as usual will look at you like you are a theft and will not help you at all even if he was in front of you and you needed assistance. They gave me a complaint sheet to fill out or told me to call their 1 800 ... I spent almost 20 minutes waiting to load my complaint to their customer service, but they win this time again, I hung up after 20 minutes as nobody answered my call (this would be my second complaint with this store)

The best target store: Westminster Mall, Westminster and Marketplace at Tustin/Irvine.

The worst of the worst: Brookhurst, Garden Grove their manager Mr. Nam Tran doesn't want to be bothered with complaints and love rude employee’s specially rude and unfriendly security guard.
 19th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
i like it
 19th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
kids&baby
 24th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
The other day, my 18 1/2 year old son, who's a US ARMY National Guard Soldier, bought himself a Star Wars LEGO set at Target, that cost $49.99. He just wanted something mindless and fun to do because he leaves in a week for a year deployment to Iraq.

Well, he got home that evening and sets about to build the set...and the bag numbered #1 is totally missing. Which makes the set basically worthless. So, my husband and I said we'd run out quickly to Target at 9 pm, to make an even exchange for him. He no longer had the receipt because he said he only bought 2 beach towels and the Lego set...he didn't think he needed to keep the receipt, so he had tossed it out. PLUS, he paid cash.

I get up to the returns counter and the girl tells me that because its an item over $20.00, there is nothing she can do, saying that the computer locks her out if its over $20.00 without a receipt. I said, "But I just want an even exchange". I got the "sorry, there's nothing I can do". So I even explained that he's leaving in a week for a year in Iraq and that by the time I contacted the Lego Company, he'd be in Iraq! She repeated there's nothing she can do.

So I walked away...mad and near tears. Then I decided to go back and speak to a manager. She got one who came out and this guy of all about 20 years old, tells me the same thing. I had explained it all again to him-adding again, that my son was leaving on a year deployment next week to Iraq and I just wanted an even exchange for him to have something fun to do. The guy says, after I said the part about my son's deployment, "Well, THAT'S not my problem, (EXCUSE ME!!?? How DARE he say something like that about my son deploying off to war!!!) but I can't do anything about this without a receipt. Did he use a credit card?" I said, "No, he paid cash." He says, Sorry, I can't do anything. He just has to find the receipt." AFTER me telling him the receipt was thrown out!

I use to love Target and defend it to those who hated it. Now, I'm one of those too.

I WILL be sharing this story with everyone I can!
 13th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Target - Credit Card
New York
target.com

Today on August 13th, 2008 I made a phone call to my target credit account to pay my bill as I have since I first recieved the card 2006. I was informed verbally for the first time today that target would now be charging $10.00 to make phone payments. Since I did not want to pay this fee which I was never informed about before I opened up an account online for my redcard. After opening up this account, I noticed that the last payment that I had made on August 3rd, 2008 over the phone was charged $10.00 and I NEVER RECIEVED ANY NOTIFICATION of this charge. I called customer service and after speaking with a representative who could do nothing for me I asked to be transfered to a manager. I then spoke with Barbara a supervisor who's ID# was 59934. She acted extremely rude on the phone ignoring everything I was saying and repeating the same thing over again as if she was reading from a piece of paper. Although I iformed her several times that I never recieved ANY notification of this fee she kept saying that "I was verbally informed on the phone on August 4th" and that in January target had sent me written notification. I am extremely upset with how I was treated, I was not treated as a "valued cardholder". In the end Target has done nothing to help me in this situation. I work in customer service myself and seeing that such a large company is able to get away with something like this really blows my mind. Its that I mind paying the $10.00, but principle of the fact that I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED.
 13th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
I have a Target account and don't ever remember receiving any kind of statement stating they would charge ten dollars for a phoning in your payment, thanks for the heads up.
 14th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
Target comes on with "free shipping" but they don't advertise the high "handling charge". I continued with the purchase anyway, however I won't buy from them again.
 31st of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes

Target - They do not help anyone but themselves
target.com

I can say as a "former" Target consumer that the fan fair of what Target does for people, employees, and the community is a facade. Our son (employed) by Target, employee of the month type of individual, trying to get scheduled hours to work around his full time school load at UNM. They have his class schedule but instead of work around, they increase and overlap it with his classes and tell him it's his problem. Where do we learn important work ethics? Not from Target Management let me say that. Smoke and mirrors, what a waste of time.
 11th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes

Chase and Target - Deceptive Increase in Interest rates
Chase and Target National Bank
Lincoln
Nebraska

About 3 years ago, I transferred about $10, 000 in debt to a no interest for a year credit card from Chase. I misunderstood the nature of the deal. I thought it was no payments for a year and Chase thought it was minimum payments of $230. After missing two months, I sorted out the problem, immediately paid them what I owed them and continued to pay them monthly. I didn't keep the original offer so I was unsure but I felt that there must have been some deceptive advertising. They immediately raised my interest rate to 8.99. Last month, I received notices on leaflets (designed to be overlooked) with very small font and misleading language telling me that both Target and Chase were raising my rates for no apparent reason ( I have not missed a payment since the original snafu on the chase card and I have never missed a payment on the target account.) The most insulting part of the notice was that I had to write a letter in less than 30 days telling them that I opt out of the new terms. Such a short time frame ensures that busy people will probably miss their opportunity to respond. These companies are counting on the fact that most people would throw that slip of paper away. The leaflets were not even personally addressed to me. Additionally, both use an unnecessarily confusing language and format. Chase and Target deliberately confuse and mislead their clients through the presentation of their information. I have a Ph.D. and have difficulty managing their nonsense. What hope does the average citizen with their 8th grade reading level have against these banks? None. It is a nasty situation and I hope to see Americans uniting against the nasty thieves with white collars.
 30th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes

target bubble coat for 12.98 - never received thru mail @ home but you had received the money thru credit
target store on line
Youngstown
Ohio
Phone: 330-744-7246

BACK IN AUGUST I WAS ON LINE AND PURCHASED A BUBBLE COAT FOR $12.98 AND YOU RECEIVED THE PAYMENT BUT I NEVER RECEIVED THE PRODUCT

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree