Target Corporation

Posted:

Debit Card Scam

4.2
Jacksonville, North Carolina
I have shopped for years at this Target store as it is one of the limited choices we have in Jacksonville, NC. I have experienced bad service and attitude from a lot of the employees and overcharges at the register but this last experience really takes the cake. I had recently received a letter from Target stating that my Target card qualified me for 5% discount on all purchases made with my card. However when I went to use the card it was now closed due to inactivity. I decided to go ahead and get another card and went with the Target Red Debit card since I usually like to use cash. The cashier told me it was just like using a check or my own debit card and that the funds would just be transferred from my bank account. That sounded pretty good as I debit anyway and now I would get a 5% discount. I proceeded to make a $200 purchase that first day and when I received the debit card in the mail a week later, I went to the store and made another purchase for almost $200 again. The cashier at that time helped me locate a piggy bank that my son had been looking for so I proceeded back into the store to purchase it. That made my second transaction of the day. I went home but my daughter requested pain medication so I went back to the Target and got a basket of goods totaling about $40. Upon trying to use the debit card I was declined which totally threw me. I tried to ask the cashier what could be the problem since I had just used it but she smirked at me, shrugged her shoulders, and said there was nothing she could do to help me figure out what happened. I asked if the service desk would be able to help but she just shrugged her shoulders again and said I could try. The customers behind me were staring, the cashier was still smirking, and I was getting worried that my card and bank account had been tampered with. I quickly paid with my regular debit card which went through with no problem at all and rushed home to call the Target Debit card 1-888 number. I waited on hold for a while, explained my situation, and quickly got transferred to another division. I again waited a while and was finally greeted by an Indian lady who kept repeating the transactions I had completed during the day and that I had too many transactions and I had to wait a few days until the transactions cleared the system. What?! Who ever heard of a debit card that would only work twice every few days? When I asked her for details about how many transactions were allowed per how many days, she claimed that there was no way of knowing. I pointed out that the debit card was basically worthless than if I couldn't depend on using it and that I would never have signed up for a Target Debit card if I had known that it wasn't usable and that there would be not discount available. She said there was no way to know any details in order to clarify use of the card and when I asked to speak to someone who would know the details of the Target Red card, she said there was nobody who knew. I was flabbergasted! I asked her if she truly meant that Target offered a card without disclosing details to its consumers and she again reiterated that there was no way to know what kind of system the Target store had and that it would be dependant on several factors whether I would be able to use the Target Debit card on any given day but she didn't know what those factors are. I asked her if there was anybody at all I could speak with that could help me unravel the mysteries and she referred me to the 1-888 number I originally called. I pointed out that I had called that number and they transferred me to her since they said they couldn't help me but she kept saying I had to talk to them again. I asked her to transfer me back which she said she could but after waiting a while she said she couldn't transfer me at all and she hurriedly put me on hold listening to music before I could say anything. When I realized that she had left me hanging, I hung up and went through the whole rigamarole of the Target phone line and ended up with another Target associate finally. She cheerily explained that Target didn't "know" me and that they would limit my transactions until they did. When I asked her the time frame they would need to get to "know" me she said she didn't know and that I would have to use some other form of payment. I pointed out that the purpose of getting the card was to receive the 5% discount which their denials effectivedly canceled and she shrugged that off as unimportant. I pointed out that I had needlessly endured public humiliation due to their unpublished policies and she shrugged that off too. I finally pointed out that it seemed like a case of "bait and switch" since Target advertised a 5% discount if you used their Red Card but then they had these hidden policies that prevented you from using the card or receiving the discount you had bargained for. Instead you made purchases thinking you were getting the discount only to be denied the discount and instead receive a heaping dose of humiliation and condescending attitude from the cashier. She shrugged me off again but did throw me a bone by saying she would bring that issue up at her leadership meeting...hm, thanks for the help? I wrote to the Target customer service help email and received a message from another cheery Target associate who told me I needed to call this number, yep, you guessed it, the 1-888 number that I had been dealing with already! Um, thanks for the help again? I think that Target has been reduced to a scamming store if they are reduced to tricking customers with false advertised discounts and then brushing them off when they ask for help or clarification of policies. I am writing a letter to corporate officials and if I don't receive any response then I will definitely take my shopping elsewhere and advise others to do the same.
Complaint comments Comments (39) Complaint country United States Complaint category Department Stores

Comments

6th of Oct, 2006 by    0 Votes

AffiliateTarget.com - Unlawful hijacking of people's computer media

I wish that someone could do something about unlawful hijacking of people's computer media. Web companies such as Doubleclick.net and Affiliatetarget.com are desteuctive advertisers who attach to any web address you are searching. I have been unable to surf the net safely without having my viewing content destroyed and disrupted. These companies do not have the right and freedom to destroy people's viewing content. Even though I have malware software, Internet Explorer folds everytime it is breached. This is a very serious matter since other businesses, people and possibly government agencies are affected.. Affiliatetarget.com needs to be exposed for who they are and place in jail. Thank you very much.
 10th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

On Target Grants - Unauthorised charges

It is not OK to take money from pplz Acts /50$ was taking from my bank this morning by ON Taget Grants!
 13th of Jul, 2007 by    0 Votes

On Target Grants - Unauthorised charges

I got billed by On Target Grants and read about other complaints. I called the service number from my bill, 866-407-1028, and a rep., Robin, said she would cancel my account (which I didn't set up) and refund me the last months charges. I was pleasantly surprised. I am waiting to see if the money is refunded and if I get billed again or not but I do suggest calling.
 11th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes

Chase and Target - Deceptive Increase in Interest rates
Chase and Target National Bank
Lincoln
Nebraska

About 3 years ago, I transferred about $10, 000 in debt to a no interest for a year credit card from Chase. I misunderstood the nature of the deal. I thought it was no payments for a year and Chase thought it was minimum payments of $230. After missing two months, I sorted out the problem, immediately paid them what I owed them and continued to pay them monthly. I didn't keep the original offer so I was unsure but I felt that there must have been some deceptive advertising. They immediately raised my interest rate to 8.99. Last month, I received notices on leaflets (designed to be overlooked) with very small font and misleading language telling me that both Target and Chase were raising my rates for no apparent reason ( I have not missed a payment since the original snafu on the chase card and I have never missed a payment on the target account.) The most insulting part of the notice was that I had to write a letter in less than 30 days telling them that I opt out of the new terms. Such a short time frame ensures that busy people will probably miss their opportunity to respond. These companies are counting on the fact that most people would throw that slip of paper away. The leaflets were not even personally addressed to me. Additionally, both use an unnecessarily confusing language and format. Chase and Target deliberately confuse and mislead their clients through the presentation of their information. I have a Ph.D. and have difficulty managing their nonsense. What hope does the average citizen with their 8th grade reading level have against these banks? None. It is a nasty situation and I hope to see Americans uniting against the nasty thieves with white collars.
 30th of Sep, 2008 by    0 Votes

target bubble coat for 12.98 - never received thru mail @ home but you had received the money thru credit
target store on line
Youngstown
Ohio
Phone: 330-744-7246

BACK IN AUGUST I WAS ON LINE AND PURCHASED A BUBBLE COAT FOR $12.98 AND YOU RECEIVED THE PAYMENT BUT I NEVER RECEIVED THE PRODUCT
 5th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes

structure target - i have to know woner of this number
construction
Saudi Arabia

i have to know details of this number mobile number9895154179, from this number miss call come to my mobile some times, who is the owner of the number, i have to get this custemer details
as soon as possible send me reply if immediately reply will be highly appreciate

badushamohammed
 16th of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes

Target - They never have the advertised items
target.com

On Sunday (yesterday) the Target ad came out advertizing a drapery sale. On Monday (today) I went in to the store ( a one hour round trip for me), and--of course--Target was out of the item. I heard every scenario--
1)too bad/so sad, and we're all really, really sorry
2) fill out a rain chack ticket. maybe more will come in, maybe they won't
3) go to the other stores in the pacific northwest--they each have a few --I needed 12 panels.

Do you really think you deserve my patronage?
 8th of Nov, 2010 by    0 Votes
There truly is no way for a cashier to tell you why your card is getting declined. That is your personal information and they don't have access to it. And the process of having limited transactions with a new card is quite common, especially if your credit isn't spectacular. However, they should have disclosed all of this with you.
 4th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
same thing happened to me I am lookng into a class action law suit against Target
 16th of Feb, 2011 by    -1 Votes
This is about Targer and the harrassment. I was harassed. I made a payment over the phone, still taget phoned me 4 to 6 times a day without acknowledging my information. I sent them copies of my bank statement. I faxed and they continued to harass me, constant calling that I stopped answering my phone.
Then My Phuong one of the employer, she might in the dispute.She asked me to send her the copy of the payment and she gave me her fax number and email address. I faxed and emailed. Then a week after she phoned me and asked me if I know of anyone by the name of... which I said NO. That payment went to the account, She credited my payment. It was because of someone like her that can make a company successful. Target should check their employer and the harassment. Thank you
 19th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I experienced the same thing as Wilke10. I live close to a Target so I'm there at least a couple times a week. I didn't want a target credit card but when I heard about the debit card and 5% discount I thought it was a great idea. After I got it in the mail I used it a couple times and it worked. The 3rd time I tried to use it the card was denied. What??? I knew there was money in my checking account. The register printed out a slip of paper for me telling me to contact CERTEGY. I called. The first time I tried I waited on hold for 10 minutes and then hung up. Then, I tried at 7am on a Saturday morning and got through quickly. The guy I talked to (who must also work the Spanish-speaking line because he was hard to understand) told me that Target has set a limit on my card and I can't go above that. I said, "How could there be a limit if it's tied directly to my checking?" You'd think it would only be denied if funds weren't available. When I asked him what the limit was he said he didn't have access to that information and told me to call the number on the back of my card. At this point I thought things were getting fishy because the only reason to limit someone with good credit and a reliable bank account would be to limit the amount of discount they're willing to give out. Well, I called the 800 number on the back of the card and talked to a woman who sounded like she was in India told me the same thing. She was reading from a script and it was almost funny how whenever I asked her a question the response was the same. She said she does not have access to account limits and said they vary by location. She suggested I keep my purchases below $100. I kept insisting that if there is a limit on the card that SOMEBODY must have access to that limit and told her that knowing that would help me manage my purchases. She wasn't buying it. Just kept reading from the script over and over. She suggested I call CERTEGY. I haven't used the card since.
 15th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I had gotten a Target Red Debit card and had used it 6-7 times. When I tried to use it to purchase $300 worth or diapers, bed linens, and items to redecorate the bathroom my card was declined.
When I called the 800 number provided I was told I was over my "limit". When I informed him there was no specific limit mentioned in my user agreement and that the account my debit card was linked to had plenty of money in it, the representative said there was a "limit" of about $100 dollars on my account.
When I was transferred to a second representative, she informed me that although my account was several months old, Target still needed more time to establish a "history".
I asked how long would be enough time and what my "limit" would be even though it would a debit purchase, she had no idea. I asked her why I would want to use a card never knowing ahead of time whether or not I would be declined, and she had no answer. I told her to cancel my account.
 18th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
It makes complete sense. The card does not take out money the same way your bank card does. It is a step removed, so if someone makes several purchases in a small period especially large purchases they are going to put a temp hold on the card to make sure the payments go through.

The worst thing that is going to happen from this is you don't get the 5% off. It could definitely be considered a inconvenience if you are ONLY shopping at Target to get the 5% off but honestly I think yall are all getting yourselves worked up over something that is not that big of a deal. Yea, it may have been a little embarrassing to get your card denied but get over it and go to Wal-Mart if you are that upset. I can not really believe that someone mentioned a class action law suit. Sue sue sue! Its the answer for every slight inconvenience in life!
 10th of May, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I'm in agreement with Cat1031.

Try getting a new credit card and making the same series of transactions within a short period of time. Until you've established your spending patterns with a credit card company (or debit card company, in this case), they are going to be very wary of how they authorize transactions. While this is potentially inconvenient for you, it would be a whole lot more inconvenient if the credit company didn't bother and your card HAD been stolen.

Consider that most people who practice credit fraud/use stolen cards will authorize numerous small transactions to test that the PIN they're using for the card works. These transactions are usually between $2-$50 range so as not to arouse suspicion if the card were to be declined due to a bad pin.

As far as the "public embarrassment" you suffered, I find myself with little sympathy for you. If you aren't by this point in time aware of how new credit/debit cards work with those companies, you essentially subjected yourself to that embarrassment through your own ignorance of basic workings of the consumer finance industry. That you expected everyone you spoke to--from the cashier level to the higher ups--to be able to elaborate to you the exact inner workings of this company is a bit on the excessive side. When you called the service number, I can understand your frustration. But to expect even store-level management to have an insight into the specifics of your debit card, or to even have the ability to influence corporate-level policy regarding those cards, is just another case of a pissed-off customer asking too much of someone without the power to do it.

As far as calling this debit card a scam, I'm not totally sure that you're using the word "scam" correctly. You received your 5% off on transactions used with the card and you will receive the same benefit in the future when you establish yourself with the company. I have a hard time believing you didn't just experience this, not get the answer you wanted, and then decided to vent to the internet. Have you tried using your debit card in an even, thoughtful manner so as to establish this history, or did you just write off this entire process as a lost cause because of your "public embarassment."

To wit: I was declined today on a second transaction within 20 mins in the store. The first one was a small transaction with cash back, and after realizing I had forgotten an item, I purchased that, only to realize I needed more cash back. I proceeded with the transaction but was declined. When I ran the transaction through again without cash, it was approved without issue. Perhaps I should call Target and demand to speak to the store manager in a huff, or perhaps I could realize that I rarely get cash back from that card and, as such, two transactions in a short time frame may have looked suspiciously like fraud. Interesting how these things work.
 25th of Jul, 2011 by    -2 Votes
There is a lot of nastiness in some of the responses above. I have to mention I just found this site after a similar experience today. Basically, I agree to an extent that "the worst that will happen to you" is you'll miss out on the 5%. When I pushed and spoke with a supervisor this afternoon, they explained that based on an agreement with each bank, there exists a limit on the number of transactions any given Target Debit card holder can make.

Also, it is untrue that this in about "getting to know" your spending habits. I've spent $3, 000 in the past 5 months at Target using this card. Today I was approved for a transaction for $80, and minutes later denied approval for a $60 transaction that was done separately to ensure I would receive a separate receipt for my classroom purchases that are deducted from my income taxes come tax time. The embarrassment sucks. Agreed. My primary complaint, however, is that Target advertises this card as being "just exactly like your bank debit card, accept that you also receive 5% off!" The actual situation is that the charges are treated as electronic checks. I was told this today by Target's debit card department. To advertise the debit card as a "debit card" rather than as a quicker means to make an electronic check is misleading. Considering that this is happening indifferent Targets in different parts of the country indicates that the company has used this tactic to encourage customers to sign up for a debit with them. That's misleading, plain and simple. It's bad business. In a day and age of questionable banking techniques by companies, this is pretty poor means of advertising their product.

Their documentation for the red debit card states that there may be a limit on the number of transactions a customer may make, but this information is not available in the document, nor from Target's debit card department. They state the limit exists, but that it is between them and the individual banks. My bank is unclear what that limit is, since the card is issued through Target's end. So, there appears to be no way of knowing how many transactions are possible. They told me it ranges from 3-8. Again, it's bad business.
 25th of Jul, 2011 by    0 Votes

Target - Non-delivery and refusal to refund money
Target

On June 28th I placed an order (order number 602-8924976-3429808) for two cottage style end tables from target.com. When I placed the order I was promised delivery between July 6 and July 8th. On July 11th I had not received my order and when I tracked my shipment online it said it was "shipping soon". I called customer service on the 11th and was told that it would ship by the end of the day. On July 12th when I checked the status it still said "shipping soon". I called again and spoke to Jodian. She told me that there was a problem with the warehouse. She told me that she would contact the warehouse and call me back with a follow up. On July 19th I hadn't received a follow up phone call or email. I called again and was told that my order was "stuck in the system". This time I spoke with Joseph S. He told me that there wasn't anything they could do. He could not provide me with a contact number for the warehouse and when asked to speak with a supervisor I was placed on hold for 10 minutes until he said that his supervisor was busy on another line. I tried to get a straight answer from him on how this issue was being handled but got the run around. He could not provide an answer to who was taking care of this issue or when my order would be shipped out. I called again on July 25th to get my money refunded since the items still hadn’t been shipped. I was told that they could not refund my money because the items were getting ready to be shipped. I was told that once I got the items I could send them back for a full refund. However, the first customer service person (Alfred) nor the supervisor that I spoke with (Gem Y.) could tell me when the items would be shipped. How am I supposed to send the items back for a refund if I never get them?
 5th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was scammed 2 purchases made under $50 end up costing me $192 checking fees bottom line info that leaving out NOT A DEBIT CARD, it ACH transaction if believe that ppl can't manage their money take good look at your card...it border line fraud why aren't they being upfront with their consumers that ACH process as someone said before we live in now world means in shopping getting something taken out of their account immediately is allot more appealing than waiting a 3-5 business days as check process. Hidden agenda is they want to believe that a debit card directly linked to your account here thing they don't have access to your checking account as if you were using own debit card from your bank! Yes I learned it the hard way still month later got a call today asking me to pay the checks that day I used my card not aware that sliding the card would be used as check process or would never sign up for the card!!! As military wife or anyone their attitude is they don't care hmm when all outrage of America starts pouring in sure they will care all they need to do solve the situation is simply have customer pay the amounts owed and then credit their checking accounts the fees they were charged can't really blame someone upset on something not aware of it when signing up for the card...problem is that would take effort that something Target not will going the distance I hate hate hate hate Walmart guess whom their next customer will be till they find time to deal with the issues w/card I have with them also reporting to Soldier's Act along with Better Business Bureau people that complain about these issues are warning other consumers hmm believe or not there are people left in this world that honestly care about strangers so before make negative comment about someone else problem's make damm sure know their story before place label on them that don't know how to manage their accounts that day I used the card there was $1, 000 sitting in my other bank accounts. Semper Fi Jessica
 8th of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
I did talk to Target customer relations this morning. She agreed there are allot of misleading information being passed on this card, going pass it along to executive level even it doesn't happen she took time to listen. My point in writing this was to send message out to people don't have this card yet if they are thinking about beware of hidden policy that is all! Last time I checked spending under $50 in retail store not consider fraud behavior not everyone thinks in criminal aspect in life. Your right guess live in more traditional world where companies use to care about their customers, go distance lesson learned! Your attitude all of us being unaware of their new procedures/policies, if don't get money back it fine I worked out something with my bank they aware of the situation have many complaint in regards to this card~apparantly to some people we are just bunch of people out here seeking some kind of attention really I barely complain only reason I took such a passion on voicing up on this subject actually care about others though I might not know them ever there is no hidden agenda just simple voice getting heard on something that can be fixed by Target if they care enough about their customers? Change happens all time, one thing that should never come across to a customer is they simple are not important that is their new direction of business I agree someone above wrote bad business just like their sister company Mervyn's can close their doors or be bought out by their competitors. I was Mervyn's supplier, it sad when they closed their doors more shocking some other store came to town or cities called Khol's thought they would never take their business I was wrong not always right it ok at end day I was heard by someone at Target today 7 people later & weeks apart so no longer going dispute this issue wish all people that had bad experience like myself keep trying with Target might get heard Christmas around the corner till they inform their customers better on their new policy changes that effect the consumer side of the house will be taking my holiday shopping to other places:O) I know someone will have negative response to this comment it all good everyone doesn't need to agree, little respect be nice again best luck to people got hit hard by this card.
 31st of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes

Target.com - Unprofessional
Target.com

My daughters purchased a CD in Jacksonville, for my birthday & because the cashier was having problems with the paper roll for receipts, she asked if they really needed the receipt. They advised yes because it's a gift so the manager reluctantly went to her office to print one.
The CD was damaged so I went to my local Target to exchange. The GSTL "Melena" was very rude & argumentative, stating I could not use that receipt because it didn't have a "V something number & this is what she always tells her guests. When I told her my daughters had specifically told the Jacksonville Manager they needed it as it was a gift, Melena continued to argue that it wasn't any good & again & again told me she always tells her guests this. I did not want a refund, simply an exchange for the exact same CD. She continued to be snippy & argumentative. I found this to be very unprofessional.
I go to this Target a minimum of 2 - 3 times a week & almost always purchase goods so I don't appreciate being treated in this manner & as much as I have always liked Target, this has given me a bad taste & I will not frequent the store as often as I have in the past.
 12th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
if our system shows that it has been shipped and shipped to your house, then its final. Target is not responsible for Shipment that are lost. if you never got the product call the shipping service you used. its not hard for target to ship the product to the shipping agency its a drop off with a tag on it. now all the shipping agency has to do is ship it to your house. and i notice no one read the small print at the bottom when they check out. if you have time to read, go read it. Shipment maybe delayed during the process depending on condition". meaning if the shipping department has heavy snow or any kinda heavy casualty it will be delayed. thats the drawback on buying things online.Also target does not promise exact days it will be shipped. days that are posted are the possibly chance of it coming those days without any weather condition.

Target.com Logo Target.com