logo

Eli Fine Cars
rip off
2. (41 mins ago)
dresses1000.com
Ignore communication and no delivery
3. (59 mins ago)

Posted:    biglouie48

Magazine Renewal

SynapseConnect Inc.
New York
I sent for a preview of several Magazines for several months for a very small fee. I used my credit card to pay this fee. This company has sent me a notice that all the magazines that I previewed (7 Magazines) would be automatically be renewed at A really high price and if I wanted to cancel, I could call a number, toll free. After calling the number, they cancelled my subscription and started a new one with no way of canceling on the automated phone call that I had made. When I ordered the previews, there was no mention of the automatic renewals. I feel I been used by this company !!! If I ever get out of this I will never preview another magazine again. Do you know an e-mail for this company, I cannot find anything but a bunch of phone numbers ??? Thank You, Louis M Castrello
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Jan, 2009 by   MarcinTomasz 0 Votes
I got my subscription from FANDANGO.com, it says so on my business reply mail.

SynapseConnect entices you with amazing magazine pricing, but I assumed I would renew at their special price. NAHHHHHHHH, not gonna happen.

Anyways I am so happy that I decided to read the business reply mail even though I did not know what SynapseConnect was.

When you call the automated 800 number, (1-800-627-2026)

You can cancel your subscription, One at a time. BUT you have to listen carefully, they try to entice you again to try the magazine for a trial period at a significant discount, mine were 6 and 9 issues at $5.98. If you says no, they try to get you on a different magazine, you have to says no to that one as well.

You have to go through this song and dance for every magazine. So far as I can tell I have canceled them all.

Good Luck.
 8th of Jul, 2009 by   Robine 0 Votes
Very painful to subscribe...funny, I actually liked the magazines, but would never do business with a company that would operate this way. I plan to let the actual magazine publishers know this. There the ones who are hurt by it in the long run.
These tactics are wrong and they should know. Join me in reporting your experiences to the publishers of the magazines you have had issues with (no pun intended)
Robin
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   wtfmate 0 Votes
I had gotten sample issues from 3 magazines. I was charged for all 3 but only sent 2 of them. Then I just received this postcard in the mail (that is made to look like junk mail) that says I will be charged for all 3 if I do not cancel. I called and canceled the first one. Then I tried to cancel the other two and it was saying I only had the one. There is no information about how else to contact them or the company name.
 25th of Sep, 2009 by   KFarrey 0 Votes
Try this:
 20th of Oct, 2009 by   nurse23 0 Votes
Call 1-888-321-6247 and follow the prompts...I just did it and canceled everything!!
 28th of Oct, 2009 by   KSSue 0 Votes
they DO have an online option for service and cancellation which asks the same "deal" questions. Be sure to answer "NO THANKS" to all of them. The third question is tricky because it asks if you want to process a cancellation that will cause your subscription to expire at the end of this billing period (which for me was showing Oct 2010, a year from now) and never charge anything else; I think if you answer yes to that it will continue the current subscription until it expires and you will not get a refund. In my case they already charged me for another year ($75 for three mags) so hopefully will be able to get that refunded...I will be watching my credit card statement...had the same confirmation no for all three mags and did have to repeat the process for each one, but I THINK I was able to cancel all three.

The link was on the SynapseConnect/Synapse Group website and is at https://www.magcustomerservice.com; I clicked it and got a certificate error /warning at first but when I clicked more info from there it was suggested to add "www" in front of what "magcustomerservice.com" and that worked. If you have their postcard with the subscription ID, enter it without the dashes. You can also use the billing statement code.

Good luck everyone!!!
 12th of Mar, 2010 by   Lilybud 0 Votes
I called to cancel and they did not have my magazines listed in their system, although they were on my credit card bill. I called my credit card company and they got them on the line by pressing 0 over and over again until they got a live representative. This is a really shady way to do business. I won't go for it again and I don't think magazines are doing themselves any credit by being affilitated with them. Mags are now cancelled.
Hope that helps someone!
 2nd of May, 2010 by   cosmic-muffin 0 Votes
I went to magcustomerservice.com, entered my subscription ID, and was able to cancel (it's tricky, keep saying No until the last one that says 'Do you want to cancel billing?'.
 15th of Sep, 2010 by   chiyan +1 Votes
i just called 1.877.294.1093 and some one answered the phone luckily..without any voice prompts.
i spoke with them and cancelled the subscription. They said it would take 72 business hours or one to two billing cycles to credit my account back. waiting for it with full hope.
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   tripoley1966 0 Votes
SynapseConnect is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Time Warner (which publishes many of these magazines):

3rd of Dec, 2010 by   Chabin562 0 Votes
SynapseConnect = Very Shady Business!!! Surprised to learn that Time Warner owns them. I was shocked to see renewal charges (over $100) on my credit card. Because I have never received the "renewal notice" in the fine print when I signed up a year ago. Their phone system and website is set-up to trick and entice people to buy. They are only trying to get as much $$ from you as they can. At the most, the phone system and website only get you refund of mags not yet in queue to be mailed out to you. Be sure to call the toll free number, hit "0" to speak with customer service rep, and his/her supervisor to get the FULL refund. Don't let them get away with even a penny of yours!! BTW, the billing dep lady is a b**ch!
 13th of Dec, 2010 by   Skirre 0 Votes
I am extremely annoyed with this! My credit card expired this year and I received a new one with different details, the subscription people managed to arrange a payment with my old details, this is considered theft in my eyes. Also the last of the 3 options is horibble. I selected the wrong option by stating yes, since it says it will cancell your subscription after this payment. I corrected this with the other 3 magazines but as scaly as all their activities are I am not able to go back again and cancel it with immediate effect! Also I am phoning from abroad and can thus not use the toll free line! No working e-mail address... I can now see why the states is the country with the most amount of fraud and scams... This is just unacceptable. Also did not get a confirmation letter or authorisation request. Anybody has a international te number that I can use to contact them?
Thank you for making me aware and providing info as to where I can do some of the cancellations etc... But I'm sad to say that I most probably will need to cut my losses since they do not accommodate enquiries outside the USA. Scaly bastards!
 22nd of Dec, 2010 by   roeb 0 Votes
Ordered 6 issue subscription thru recycle web site. Continued to receive issues after 6. Just researched how to find who was charging me.
Charged 6 times amount for renewal. Never asked or sent any notification, just charged my card. Says refund pending but still paid way too much for issues received. what a major rip-off. Do not subscribe to trial subscriptions. Say they will ask permission to renew, but they don't.
 29th of Dec, 2010 by   pctroll 0 Votes
Sorry to rain on most everybody's parade, but the system works as it is supposed to and is of great benefit to an alert subscriber. It's not a rip-off, it's a promotional offer: if Time-Warner did not want it to continue they would discontinue the offer. You receive an EXTREMELY inexpensive one-year subscription, possibly even at a loss to Time-Warner. SynapseConnect sends a postcard 11 months later giving your the chance to cancel an almost full-price renewal. You call the number, give them the ID#, and say "no" to their other questions (unless you are canceling more than one magazine). I've never had any muss nor fuss at cancellation. I then do a Biz-Rate survey to renew the Sunset subscription I've just canceled, and enjoy Sunset for another year for a just a few dollars. I do need to find a site where I can change the address on an existing subscription to Bon Appetit, though.
 5th of Jan, 2011 by   Elessann 0 Votes
I never received a postcard notifying me that the magazines I ordered were up for renewal, or I would have cancelled. As it was, I just happened to find my original purchase confirmation, noted the date, and called to cancel, only to find out that they had already charged my card. I fell for the "cancel at the end of the billing cycle" option, and didn't realize until 3 weeks later (after no refund appeared) that I was not going to get a refund. I was also charged for an additional renewal, which I had been told had already been cancelled. I had to call back and be very firm with a real live person that they WERE going to refund my money for all three subscriptions, and they said that they would (minus costs for already mailed issues - hah!). We'll see in 10 days if the refunds are actually credited back to me.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   Patrianna 0 Votes
Here is a website I found to contact Synapse Connect online...www.magcustomerservice.com
Hope this helps for anyone that needs further service other than an automated voice system...all you need is your Subscription ID to locate your records.
 13th of Jan, 2011 by   linz77 0 Votes
I received a stupid post card but when you call you can not speak to anyone and the automated thing says yes even when you say no. I re-enrolled me and I said no. I got charged the very next day and now I can not cancel. This gimmick stinks!!!
 19th of Jan, 2011 by   AP2011 0 Votes
I got an Exclusive Offer from http://www.freebizmag.com whom I have found to be very reliable. However the offer is the Following:

Noise Canceling Headphones
Lightweight and comfortable headphones provide up to 15db of active noise cancellation, reducing the ambient sounds around you.
Enjoy your music without having to turn up the volume to overcome the roar of engines or road noise. Padded headband and ear-cups provide comfort for hours of wear and the in-line controller allows for easy volume adjustment. Batteries not included.
Yours FREE Just pay $2.99 s&h

The CATCH:
"The account you provide will be charged the amount shown. Please allow six to eight weeks for delivery. The name, address, email and account information you provide will be collected by Gift Services, Inc. to process and fulfill your selection. "

WHOIS Gift Services, Inc.?
Gift Services, Inc. and SynapseConnect, Inc., 225 High Ridge Road, East Building, Stamford, CT 06905, are the vendors for this offer.

FORGET ABOUT IT!!!
***Thank's everyone! I will not get sucked into this scam
 10th of Mar, 2011 by   larrbag 0 Votes
I signed up for my free ($2 each) magazines last June (2010). I kept the cancellation number and called today (March 2011) to cancel. The cancellation was pretty simple, although you do have to cancel one at a time, and just answer no to all the "special renewal offers".

Yes, it's a "shady" business, but I did get four magazines for a year for $8. I knew going into it that if I didn't cancel then I risked paying who-knows-what for the renewals. How else do you think a company that offers you magazines for $2 is going to make money? Come on people, have a little intelligence!

I suspect that most people on this board that are complaining are really just mad at themselves for not canceling, but of course this is America and we have to blame somebody else for all our problems.
 19th of Apr, 2011 by   solecurious 0 Votes
I accept my responsibility of being less diligent, however I strongly agree that the company's method is "shady" in employing tactics to trap the less careful or diligent person. I agree perhaps we had not been diligent. But I can't even remember how we got the "free" magazines - it was addressed to my husband who doesn't read magazines, especially Martha Stewart's Living. In any case, we'd never dealt with SynapseConnect before. So when SynapseConnect mailer arrived the first year, we must have thrown it away. Again I don't remember receiving a notice. This is our second year "subscription" and I happened to read the content. Out of curiosity, I logged online to figure out how they ended up managing our subscription. That's how I came across all the complaints. I took prompt action. Sure enough when I rang to cancel our "subscription", the pauses bet the automatic prompts were abnormally long that I thought I was being cut off. I almost hung up until I heard the prompt to confirm if I'd said no. Obviously it didn't end there. There were a couple more enticing offers which I had to say no and again waited for the long pauses. SynapseConnect was deliberate in employing such repetitive delay tactics and hoping your less diligent self will allow them to keep charging. SynapseConnect had no intention to make it easy for anyone to cancel. THAT is obviously not an honest company.

Fight Back Against Identity Theft