logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Fubar.com
This site is one of two of the biggest "scam sites" that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with
2. (6 mins ago)
T & B Sales Advanage Wonder Cleaner
Bait and switch
5. (27 mins ago)
Tvshopping-solutions.co.uk
I don't feel very confident of ever receiving my purchase or a refund

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Symbol Mattress, Minnesota Complaints & Reviews - Misleading and / or fraudulent warranty

Symbol Mattress Contacts & Informations

Symbol Mattress

Posted: 2011-01-20 by    PhillipM

Misleading and / or fraudulent warranty

Symbol Mattress Company
Minnesota
Symbol mattress company warrants that this mattress shall be free of manufacturing defects. This is a fraudulent statement. When you attempt to get warranty, the company then claims the mattress shall be free of manufacturing defects, unless it is stained. In other words: it doesn't matter if the mattress has manufacturing defects, if it is stained. There are 2 seperate issues here: one is the warranty of the bed, irregardless of manufacturing defects, and the other, warranting against manufacturing defects. Any company that sells a defective product, that was sold with the assurrance that it had no defect, and refuses to make restitution, is guilty of theft. Secondly, the company is to state what is the required covering on the mattress. Our son sweat one night when his fever broke, causing a stain on the mattress. Symbol informed us: tough luck! You have no warranty, either on the bed or on the manufacturing defect. My 150 lb son has been sleeping on this mattress about a year. It looks like there has been a 500 lb person sleeping on it for a year. It has more than a 2 inch hollow in its center. This warranty is designed to mislead the unwary. Fool me once, shame on you. Anybody that has any questions, call me: 507 - 363 - 9090. The above is based on information and belief.
Comments United States Mattresses
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Aug, 2009 by   Andresen 0 Votes

Symbol Mattress - Terrible company
Symbol Mattress
symbolmattress.com

Their warranty appears great, 10 years replacement we were told if not satisfied but when you read the print under the tag at the end of the mattress it becomes clear. Depressions have to be 2" which is like a crater to sleep in. Ours appeared in 5 months after purchasing. Only 1 1/2" so too bad. Because it is a pillow top we can not flip, so now we have a mattress that is killing our backs. I wrote the president and the company but it has to be 2" or more. I would never recommend a Symbol Mattress to anyone.
 16th of Jan, 2010 by   painful backs -1 Votes
I have had 3 symbol mattressesover the last year. The first( Sept 2008) was a latex and supposedly the best. After 3 months there was a crater on my side not my husbands and I am not an overweight individual. The store I purchased the mattress from replaced i tin Dec '08 and the same thing happened after about 6 months. They again gave us a new coil spring a month ago( Dec '9) and the depressions on both sides are 3 inches. Our backs are killing us. We have to sleep either on the edge or take turns on the middle hump. Also the mattress appears to be shorter than most major brands. Symbol mattresses are just not built well. I wrote to the company and received no response.
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   Mark_27 +1 Votes
I bought a plush top set 3 year ago and it is still doing fine. I upgraded to a pillow top, Franklin I think and it is one of the best beds I have slept in. Maybe I got lucky? I don't know, I love the two I have.
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   St.Pareick 0 Votes
we bought a Symbol Mattress from a guy( in a storage unit as an office) for $500. (Easy Rest). He ran an ad in the paper. Now we both have pain in our hips every day
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   St.Pareick -1 Votes
We bought a Symbol Mattress from a guy (in a storage unit as an office) for $500. (Easy Rest). He ran an ad. Now we both have pain in our hips & legs. every day.
 20th of Apr, 2010 by   Seminole Fan +1 Votes
Most mattresses contain a spring system for support and layers of foam for comfort. In order to keep prices down, cheaper mattresses are made with lower quality foams and spring systems. As a result a cheaper mattress will not last as long a better quality mattress. You get what you pay for. Symbol makes cheap mattresses and high quality mattresses, just like most other companies. If you bought a cheap Simmons, Serta, Sealy etc. you would have the same problems. If you what a good nights sleep buy a better quality mattress and don't buy a plush one, buy one that is medium firm to firm, but not extra firm (those will hurt your hips and shoulder bones).
 30th of Apr, 2010 by   ivanushkin1 0 Votes
FOR THE LADY THAT WROTE THAT COMMENT, I AM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR SEALY, SIMMONS, SERTA, SYMBOL, KING KOIL, ETC AND ALL OF THE HAS THIS SAME PILICY OF 1 1/5 INCHES, CALLED BODY IMPRESSIONS!!!EDUCATE YOURSELF
 12th of Jun, 2010 by   Cheryl Landis -1 Votes
We have had a negative experience with a Symbol Mattress. Very disappointing. After only a few years (& and with regular rotating etc), it has become very uncomfortable. We too purchased it from a couple who sold mattresses out of a storage unit near Hershey PA. I have emailed the company but unfortunately have not received a response.
 30th of Jun, 2010 by   mnw1982 0 Votes
I too have a Symbol mattress, and it has developed a depression in it. It has been replaced once under warranty, and I am beginning to experience a bulging disc in my lower back due to the bed. Symbol has stated that they will not replace it a second time under warranty, even though the layers inside the mattress are separating and the mattress has a very defined 'crater' in the center of it. My mate and I are both having trouble with our backs and hips that are attributed to this mattress. If Symbol doesn't do something about this, I am planning on contacting a lawyer. There is no sense in spending $1500 for a mattress set only to have to replace it again at your own cost in less than a year. I think next time I'm going with Serta.
 3rd of Jul, 2010 by   ed2tonone +1 Votes
For the people that would buy a mattress from someone out of a container. You can't expect that mattress set to last. That's just like buying something off the street corner from someone. That's just crazy. You don't know if that matress is used or new, anyone can rewrap a matress set. Next time u need to buy from a company that is well know in ur community. Just remember you get what u pay for. If you go cheap you will get cheap
 9th of Jul, 2010 by   chica222 0 Votes
I really wish I would have read these comments about Symbol Mattresses so I wouldn't have wasted my time with one! Instead, I did buy one because of the warranty. What a great deal, right? And mattresses take so long to get a "body impression", so what do I have to lose? My sanity, for one! I am now trying to get a new one but it seems I can't contact the rep for symbol and all the other numbers are not helpul, as "symbol is not sold here anymore so we can't help you.. call this number" and so on and on. I keep getting pushed around and no one can give me answers or help. I wish I would've checked up on this sorry excuse of a mattress before I spent my well earned money! And I've only had it for 1 year 4 months!
 14th of Jul, 2010 by   matress 0 Votes
My son received a Symbol Contour Classic - Lexington Matress Set from his grandparents. He has had it for two years. About six months ago he complained "something hurt me in my bed" then it went for a while without complaint, then again. I just investigated this week after he compained again and I saw a six inch scratch on his leg that had bled and scabbed up. He is 16 years old and a little thicker skinned that a younger child. I went in to look and it felt like the point of a nail. This is on the side of the matress, not the bottom frame. I went on got some pliers and after pusing in just a small bit a point emerged and I used the pliers to pull it out. It was a 2 inch long opened staple that was poking out as he would get out of the bed. The scarey thing is after my son and I went all around the matress we found that the top and bottom sides did not apear to have any pointy things. However, we pulled out 24 of those 2 inch long open staples. This to me is unbelievable. Has anyone else experienced this? It was my understanding when she gave it to my son that she bought it at a store brand new and it was a deal, I believe the company was going out of business and that it cost around $200. That did seem like a deal. I gently said something to her the other day when I first relized what it was and after talking to her she said no, tht it was eithere $700-900, and that it was originally a $2000 matress. When I heard that I told her she got ripped off. Can anyone tell me if they have purchased this matress and how much they paid?
 17th of Jul, 2010 by   sleepsoundly 0 Votes
TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER: I am a Symbol Dealer. Several suggestions:

1. All mattress companies have a policy of 2" or more of sag before it is considered a manufacturing defect. It's not just Symbol.

2. Your warranty/care card also recommends rotating your mattress every 2 weeks for the first 3 months, then every 2 months after that. Waiting till there are body impressions is too late. Please don't ignore the care instructions and then claim it's a warranty issue.

3. Symbol warranties are non-prorated. If it's really a 1.5" sag in 5 months, wait several months longer till it's a 2" sag, then ask for warranty.

4. Symbol's products are great quality, for half the price of other companies. (Because they don't advertise.) This means you can get a higher quality mattress from Symbol for the same price as a low-end mattress from another company. Or you can buy the cheapest Symbol mattress you can find, but it won't hold up as well.

TO EVERYBODY ELSE:

Please buy from authorized Symbol dealers, not people in storage units. Like someone said, people often re-cover used mattresses and put a name on them. How do you know it's really a Symbol?

Respectfully,
 17th of Jul, 2010 by   Cheryl Landis 0 Votes
Jesse, I was told that the people that I bought from (out of a storage unit) were authorized dealers. Very strange! I learned my lesson. The mattress was brand new.
 17th of Jul, 2010 by   sleepsoundly 0 Votes
Cheryl, I'm going to do some research and see if I can help you.

26th of Jul, 2010 by   gglow 0 Votes
Is there a phone number for this company? I have looked on site no number or contact information.
 27th of Jul, 2010 by   sleepsoundly 0 Votes
Phone numbers for Symbol:

Midwestern Customers: 1-800-730-7477
Eastern & Southwestern Customers: 1-800-446-2791

Please don't abuse these numbers. Be respectful and reasonable, and you'll find them to be quite helpful and concerned about their customers.

Thanks,
 31st of Jul, 2010 by   JJC1234 +1 Votes
To those that have bought from people in storage units: Are they really storage units, or are they businesses set up in a warehouse? There is a difference. I run a legitimate business from a warehouse, and I find that people often confuse the two. All of my products are NEW and still in the ORIGINAL manufacturer's packaging. I also have all of my packing slips from the factory, and if you look at Symbol's tag, there is a manufacturing date on them. I don't check every label, but the ones I have happened to look at all have recent manufacturing dates on them.

I am an authorized Simmons, Serta and Symbol Dealer. With ANY company, if you purchase low-end mattresses, they are not going to last. I always make sure to tell my customers that if they are looking for a long-term mattress for every night sleeping, they should not buy an inexpensive mattress. As somebody stated above, "you get what you pay for" and that goes for any brand! Every company has a quality product and a value product. This is so that they can reach all levels of consumers. Remember, many people want something inexpensive to use for a spare bedroom or cottage/cabin. Many times, customers assume that a dealer is just trying to get them to spend more money, and they opt for a lower-price option anyways. After all, "a mattress is a mattress, right?" Think again.
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   GreenEyedGirl3 0 Votes
I have owned my Contour Classic Symbol Mattress for 5 years now and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING! This is THEE BEST mattress that I've ever had in my entire life. Whenever my friends sleep over and crash in my bed (I have a King), they never want to leave it. I call it my Cloud 9 Bed. I have Skoleosis and I've never slept better with my crooked spine before this bed. Whenever I go out of town and have to stay in either hotel beds or friends beds, my back is in SO much pain when I wake up. I LOVE my Symbol Mattress and am very glad I purchased it :)
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   GreenEyedGirl3 0 Votes
Also, to the Lady who mentioned her son getting cut by the staples from the mattress his grandmother purchased for him...I paid $1, 500 (sale price) for my King sized Symbol Contour Classic - Brighton Mattress and I have NO regrets. Originally mine was well over 2 grand.

New Texting Scam Promises