logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (20 mins ago)
Club Pogo
Unable to play pogo games
2. (29 mins ago)
Skyline Shirts
Non-Delivery of Items
5. (1 hr 26 mins ago)
Am Resorts / Unlimited Vacation Club
Misleading and lies - i know because i worked there

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Sylvan Learning Center, Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Complaints & Reviews - Education

Sylvan Learning Center Contacts & Informations

Sylvan Learning Center

Posted:    K. Casey Bricker

Education

Sylvan Learning Center
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
My son failed 8th grade miserably so my husband and I decided to hold him back, change schools and get him a tutor and someone suggested Sylvan Learning Center. It was just down the street from his school so we figured it would work perfectly. Sylvan does not allow you to pay as you go, you have to get a student loan that is NOT tax-deductible at 10% paying $105 every month for the next 10 years. They figure out how many hours it will take for your kid to catch up to his grade level and they tell you that they will give him the skills needed to succeed in school. I asked the center’s manager, “What if he doesn’t succeed, what if he still fails?” She told me he wouldn’t and again I asked, “But what if he does?” She assured me that he wouldn’t because they would give him the tools to succeed. BULLPUCKY! Twelve thousand dollars and six months later, he was skating by with D’s in classes he had already taken the year before so I pulled him out of Sylvan with some 50 hours left on my account because they hadn’t taught him anything except how to get reward points for junk toys. I figured we’d get about a $1000 back and I’d put a balloon payment on the loan. I was getting the lowest price per hour that they offered, combining the fact that we were military and that my parents co-signed for the loan making it a “grandparents” special they took off some $20 or $30 per hour but because we stopped his learning early they pushed it back up to the full price and we only got some $100 back.

Bottom-Line, Sylvan Learning Center’s are not worth your children or your money. Find a local tutor that won’t soak you for every penny you have and will actually teach your child.
Comments United States Schools
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Feb, 2010 by   hulinmr 0 Votes
I am military and just recently visited the local Sylvan center for where I live. They offer a monthly payment plan, a one-time payment or they had info about loans I could get. She also mentioned that people can get a loan through their bank. I paid the one-time fee and it was less than $2000. Once my child has gone through 36 hours of tutoring, if she has not excelled enough, they will give me 12 hours free. I was also told that by paying this one-time fee, it was non-refundable. I'm not sure what happened at your center, but you got swindled if you paid $12, 000. I know someone who went for a year and they only paid about $5000.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   Nascargirl 0 Votes
My son is currently enrolled in Sylvan's. We pay by the month with no obligation to continue after the month. They also guaruntee he will go up one grade after 36 hours of tutoring if not he receive's 12 free hours. He has been doing Sylvan's for about 2 months now and has allready went up a grade level. He is gaining confindence in himself & his ablility do be a great student, which I have never seen in him before. I would recommend Sylan's to anyone. It does cost a bit per month but you get what you pay for. As far as the issue's you had. Sorry but you got swindled by someone.

Pink Charities and Steve Jobs Scams