Sutherland models, ModelWork, Toronto

Scam

Sutherland models, Model Work
Ontario
Canada
Sutherland models is a scam a ripoff. No matter what they say to you! 90 % of their models get nothing. Some of their models get jobs there and the rest just get a piece of paper for around $ 1200 - $ 2500. They lie to you, everyone is accepted, if you have more than one family member who auditioned, one of them WILL get accepted, unless you are wealthy, which they determine by your occupation on the initial application you fill to 'audition.' If they know you can pay for both children, they will squeeze everything out of you.

I am a victim and everyday I regret loosing my money for nothing. They don't even train you properly, they make you sit in a small room with a bunch of chairs along side the wall and talk. There are people who have been in the school for years and are still there today. Sutherland models is just for rich people who just want their small children to have a hobby, they will NOT get any where with this company! I learned the hard way, and I promise if you join this company you will see the same or even worst than me. First you have to pay for training and then again pay to become a model with their modeling division Model work.

The only thing they want is MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!! I want to prevent what happened to me from happening to any other young girl. Sutherland crushed my hopes dreams and spirit and them took my money. I do not recommend Sutherland models at all. There are other means of getting training and getting in the show business. Please beware!!
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country Canada Complaint category Entertainment
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

2nd of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
We recently went in to check out Sutherland only to have the lady tell us that my 12 year old would never walk the runways because she is not going to be tall enough (I had never mentioned that I even wanted her to be a runway model)...but then dove right into the whole speech about their upcoming summer camps that she should take and how there was only 4 spots left...all for the low, low price of almost $1000 for a single week! What a joke! She then told us all about the things they teach at the camp from nutrition to walking...I noticed a large group of teenage girls there that day who must have been in for some training or something who all left and came back with McDonalds...meanwhile I am listening to this lady's speech about the nutrition part of their training and how they only encourage healthy eating habits and would never let the girls there go to McDonalds...Ok...whatever...nice try...I had previously heard that this place was a scam but thought I would go check it out anyways...atleast I know now it is and I am glad we didn't sign up with them!!
 26th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
Ah I am so confused. I have an appointment with Sutherland. The lady said she loved me but wants me to take the course because I have no experience. It is true I still need to learn to walk in heels. She even said she would give me a discount making the price $897 instead of $997 Would the course help me with other agencies as well?
 2nd of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Omg is this a scam or not? i dont know if i should pay the 997$ for the training. i thought you shouldnt pay for anything?! does this get you anywhere? and there id never a guaranteed job for you. any great experiences past the training??
 6th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Sutherland models is a scam! All they want is your money. I went there for a meeting and they told me everything i wanted to hear. That i will be a model if i work hard and then in the end when I'm hooked, they tell me i have to pay $997 for training in some tiny room with like 14 other girls. I called to say that i couldnt (even though i could) all of a sudden i get attitude. When Im not paying them the fake niceness goes away. she even said that im going to give up modeling.! your not even sopposed to pay for your pictures! but i would have to. sutherland is a total SCAM.
 29th of Oct, 2011 by    0 Votes
I agree that Sutherland models is a scam, I wish I had have brought a video camera to that interview, all I would have to do is forward it to head office and the woman doing my interview would be fired for doing such a pathetic job of trying to scam me. Like when she said that they will kick people out if they are steeling the clothes... I'm thinking, if people are taking the clothes, they must feel really ripped off. The put a little production on for me in the waiting room while they pretended to blow off this little girl for being to shy... it was obviously an act because non of them could act. The little girl was smiling, the parents were too, and why would they come out and do this all in front of me. They wanted to make it seem like they don't just accept everyone. None of the women working there seem to really take modelling seriously because they all had fat asses. Lets just say that when I came back home I felt as if they all thought that I was stupid.
From the comments that I have read on this site, I am certain that all the supporting arguments defending Sutherland models, are all from the people working there. I mean, if I wanted to entertain my kid I would pay for them to have horse back riding lessons, not build their dreams and have them crash down. Also, look how angry some of these comments are, who would care soooo much about what is being said by the company as to get angry. Honestly, this is just another example of how stupid their staff is.
 27th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
@Divine100%

That's really weird that you would say that, because there was a little boy they were "blowing off" when I went in there. They brought him outside and said that he is too "shy" and that the client wants someone who is outgoing.
 27th of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
Ugh that was completely unintelligible. When I was there, they blew off a little boy around 5 or so. They said he is a bit too shy and that the client wanted someone more outgoing. But it was the same thing, everyone was smiling the entire time. I thought it was a bit strange that they would bring someone out of the private room in front of everyone to tell them they did not want them, but I just ignored it.
 28th of Feb, 2013 by    0 Votes
I attended this program when I was 15 and it upsets me more and more to think I was naive enough to waste so much money. It started out with me sending e-mails to modelling companies seeing if they would maybe set up a meeting with me or take a look at my portfolio. Shortly after applying, a lady named Lynne Bent from Sutherland called me back. Over the phone, she sounded rather pushy and arrogant and she came off a bit rude. Nevertheless, I agreed to meet her in an appointment to see whether or not Sutherland would consider me. When we got to Sutherland, we waited for quite a while even though we were right on time for our appointment with her. When I met Lynne, she took a look at my portfolio and almost instantly suggested that I attend their camp. Not only did she outline the benefits of what they taught (how to walk, how to dress, skincare, makeup, fashion, and a photo shoot) but she made it sound VERY promising that the company would add me to their roster after completing the course. When I specifically asked her whether or not I'd get jobs through Sutherland after completing the course, she vaguely stated that I would. Fast forward about a month and $1000 later, I found myself sitting in a course where they taught me things I already knew!! Not only did the teachers not seem to care (they honestly looked like they were there because they were getting paid) but they also showed up late a lot. The photo shoot was done in a VERY VERY sketchy area at some random apartment with people who were acting less-than-professional. If it wasn't for the other girls I wouldn't have felt safe. And finally, the big piss-off of this whole event: the last day. As a finale, we were supposed to put together a fashion show in front of friends and family. Right before the show, one of the teachers requested to speak to two girls individually. The fact is, these girls got contracts and the rest of us didn't. The fact that she asked to speak to them in front of everyone was totally heartbreaking. I was disgusted at the way they went about doing so and especially because Lynne made it sound like we'd all get contracts. For the rest of us, we had to pay an ADDITIONAL $140 if we wanted a contract with Sutherland (this contract didn't guarantee jobs).
Overall, I was totally disgusted with the way these people went about running their business. They are sketchy, unprofessional, and a total scam. Avoid this "modelling bootcamp" at all costs.
 27th of Nov, 2013 by    0 Votes
The COURSE was a giant preschool baby sitting session!!!
Nothing of value was learned! A giant WASTE OF TIME, MONEY AND ENERGY. JUST PUTS $1000 in the owner's pocket, while she laughs all the way to the bank at your gullablility
NOT WORTH even $100!!!
The so-called "professional" are a bunch of amateur nobody's!!!
The agents are rude, and a bunch or liers!!!
The owner is MONEY-HUNGRY!
DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE! YOU WILL NEVER GET WORK!!! THEY LIE TO YOU!!!
WENT TO CAROLYN's AGENCY AND FOUND WORK IMMEDIATELY!!!
 15th of Jan, 2015 by    +1 Votes
It is a shame that you feel this way. Sutherland has been in business since 1985, and our reputation is extremely important to us.
Many of the top models seen on magazine covers and campaigns are graduates of the Sutherland Academy. We are very proud of those young women and men who invested in their future by learning skills from our professionals, and we are told time and time again that their experience in our program helped them immeasurably in their modeling careers.
Even though only a small percentage will go on to model professionally, all of our graduates are offered the opportunity to be represented in our student division ModelWork, where they may gain some experience doing hair shows, small fashion shows, or unpaid photo shoots for new designers.
But don’t take our word for it. Here is what some other students have to say about the program http://www.sutherlandacademy.com/testimonials
Should you care to discuss further, please feel free to give me a call at 416-703-7070.

Carole Reynolds
Agency Director
Sutherland Models Inc.
 4th of Feb, 2015 by    0 Votes
In the 1980's there was an agency called Eleanor Fulcher (http://eleanorfulcher.com) and it was located on Yonge Street near Wellesley and every Saturday afternoon I would go to the modelling school. I learned to apply make-up, walk the run way and how to walk in heels, do my nails, how to conduct myself in an interview for a job/modelling interview and even remember a 2 hour class on manners and how to sit in a chair. These lessons stayed with me for life, (now 50). We had opportunities to go meet with photographers and get headshots and meet other young girls going through their awkward teens. I was tall, slim and pretty but I was not model material. The reason I was sent by my father was so that I could realize that I was all those things and needed to find some confidence to realize that and like myself when I looked into a mirror. I never wanted to be a model but the classes gave me something that I would have never gain on my own at that age. I plan to send my daughter now 15 years old to Sutherland for classes and will make sure that she understands that whether she get work in the end or not the experience of learning the skills of modelling will be used in life in other ways. It is true that if you are unique and can be discovered then people including agencies will invest in you to then make money off of you. The majority of us are not unique but we all have potential and going to modelling school if you can afford it is a good investment into your self esteem. Don't be naïve it is a business and a tough one that means nothing comes for "FREE".
 21st of Apr, 2015 by    0 Votes
When my son was about 3 years old he worked as a model with aka era Kids of Sutherland Modelling. He did a segment of a morning TV show called Get Set for Life on CBC. It was a recorded segment which played every weekday morning for 3 years. He was the main child focused on with his loose blonde curls on this animated segment while the children appeared to be flying through the air while holding on to the bed with other kids. He was paid a total of $50.00!! I was told that it was considered a privilege to be on the segment and to be on CBC! He had also won a modelling contest with another agency around the same time. Nothing amounted to anything other than free Comp Cards and a few ad sessions. It is a total waste of time and can be harmful for children's self esteem for those who go for the auditions and never get selected. Now he is 18 and is very slim with the typical model features with chiseled cheekbones, jaw line and very broad shoulderes and still has his blonde hair. He is now turned off the aspect of modelling after bad memories.
 10th of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
Hello. I realize I am posting more than 5 years later since the original post, perhaps things have changed since. I must admit I researched Sutherland Models for days and days before taking my daughter in for an interview. Coming across this posting I was extremely skeptical about Sutherland Models. HOWEVER, after actually having an interview, I AM VERY IMPRESSED with them and don't agree with anything written on this post. I think its IMPORTANT for everyone to do their research and meet the agency personally instead of just listening to angry internet posts. My daughter and I were treated with nothing but respect and complete professionalism. I read on another posting about how rude they are etc etc etc. Totally did NOT experience this. The reception welcome was warm and the person I met with was very knowledgeable and helpful with all of my questions. Even took the time to show me around. They are very interested in my daughter and we are interested in them. We said we would not do anything for a couple of months and they were fine with it, Did not push to sell their classes etc. They respected my situation.
About having to pay up front. Nothing is life is for FREE. I am completely okay with paying for a class for my daughter because she wants to do commercials etc and is very experienced. What she could learn in this class with only benefit her in teaching her what she needs to know. Even if she does not make it in this industry, the class will help her socially.
My point is, FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF about Sutherland Models instead of just reading negative reviews on the internet. I was so wary with these posts but I am very happy that I took the time to meet them myself and form my own opinion. I am very happy with this agency and will not go to another.
Good luck to all!
 23rd of Aug, 2015 by    0 Votes
To the people upthread discussing "outgoing" children -- cute kids are a dime a dozen. Finding a kid who, at the age of 3, can walk into a casting room full of strangers, take direction from said strangers, and then do the whole thing over and over again for an 8 hour day on set -- that's what "outgoing" means, and from the age of about 3 on -- that's what expected (no parents in the casting room during auditions.) There are plenty of adorable, sweet, photogenic children who cannot do those things, who will REFUSE to do those things if asked, and talent agents can spot them within a few minutes of a meeting. You can have the most beautiful child in the world (and really, it's not beautiful children who are largely in commercials/legit anyway) but if they lack confidence with strangers, can't take direction from strangers, and lack charisma -- they won't get signed by any reputable talent agent.

I don't know anything about Sutherland, other than Kamera Kids is a division of Sutherland and their kids do audition and book. My daughter does not do print (Kamera Kids does a lot of print) and is with a major Toronto talent agency.

Contact Us