logo

Stole our deposit money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

SunTrust Bank, Tennessee Complaints & Reviews - Unethical Discretionary Bank Practices

SunTrust Bank Contacts & Informations

SunTrust Bank

Posted: 2011-01-07 by    kickmeagain

Unethical Discretionary Bank Practices

Suntrust Bank
Tennessee
Suntrust advertises their internet banking and mobile application for smartphones as a value add, customer service that is a 'courtesy' for their clients. DO NOT BE TRICKED by this practice. Suntrust is keeping two sets of books. The online banking available balance does not agree with the bank's database. Beginning in August after financial institutions' charges became regulated, Suntrust has been selectively crediting deposits to my account after holding several debits in 'pending' This results in an overdraft or close so they hit me for $36.00 for all the items they 'paid' further decreasing my balance by another $216 + THEN they show my direct deposit. I have been charged close to $3, 750. since August as a result of Suntrust's greed. Seriously, I have banked with them for 16 years and I have never had a negative balance until August. I have an ATM receipt dated 12/24/10 20:16 p.m. (7:16 p.m.) showing $ 1, 536.25 available balance. I did my Christmas shopping mindful of how much money I had available. Unbeknownst to me, they had been holding 'pending' items that were not appearing online. On Dec 27th and 28th, I had a $1, 500.00 deposit. They posted all pending items and a total of $216 in nsf on the 27th and another $216.00 on the 28th. After all of the charges I was $938 negative. They applied the $1500.00 deposit which ultimately gave me an available balance of $ 600 approximately.
The Federal Reserve cannot dictate/regulate how banks apply transactions and Suntrust certainly plays that loop hole. I just think it highly unethical to tell you customers what they are looking at 'online' is just an estimate/courtesy that the bank's records show another view.
Is there a consumer advocacy organization I could contact to request a open records audit, please?
I could change banks and do plan to however based on the complaint threads here it looks like all the banks are breaking the backs of the working class while enjoying millions in salaries and bonuses.
Is there any speck of hope and/or recourse for the little voices out here?
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Jan, 2011 by   kickmeagain 0 Votes
SPAM please remove
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   kickmeagain -1 Votes
@psuguy58 - Please do not try to discredit this very valid complaint. It appears that since you joined the Complaint Board on 11/01/10, you have responded to posted complaints 577 times in an defensive, adversarial manner. How is it you are an expert in the operations and business processes for each of the categories on this complaint board?
 18th of Jan, 2011 by   Tesarra +1 Votes
I have the same problem as the original poster. I made a deposit Friday in cash and then made some purchases over the weekend using my check card. My purchases were far less than the amount I had deposited on Friday, yet Sun Trust has now charged my account $61.00 in NSF fees since due to the "holding period" on my CASH deposit my funds were not yet "available".

I'm withdrawing all my funds tomorrow and closing my account just as fast as my feet can get me to a REAL bank.

How to Sell on Craigslist and Not Get Scammed: 4 Great Tips You Need to Know