logo

Direct TV
Destroyed my Credit Rating
4. (41 mins ago)
Direct Buy
Would not recommend it to anyone, even large consumers
5. (57 mins ago)

Strayer University

Posted:    Strayerstudent

Refunds

Strayer University
I have been going to Strayer University for over four years. I am now working on my masters degree. In the beginning, my school refunds would arrive via mail during week 5, as time went on the refunds began to arrive during week 3. A couple months ago, Strayer began encouraging students to sign up for direct deposit. The school really pushed this as a benefit and as a way to get our student refunds quicker. It is now week three and the school has no ideal when my student refund will be processed. They claim the lender has not released the funds. The lender was suppose to release the funds last week. Strayer claims they will hold the funds for seven business days after the funds are sent to the school to ensure all expenses have been posted. This is a joke. All expenses should have been posted by week three. Strayer is now back to slow refunding of my money. I am very upset that Strayer has resorted back to the old practices of issuing refunds in the middle of the quarter. I wonder during those days they are holding my money if they are collecting interest from its bank. Students pay expenses out of their own pockets for school related expenses knowing they will get their school refunds to reimburse themselves. It is sad when a student's refund arrives weeks after the quarter starts. It is sad that Strayer will hold my funds upto seven business days regardless of when my funds arrive at the school. I am very disappointed. This will be my last quarter there. I took two classes at a public university and got my refund the beginning of week two. If you are a student and rely on your refunds to survive-be aware that Strayer University will hold your refund for a longer period then necessary.
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Feb, 2010 by   Done with Strayer +2 Votes
I agree 100%. I used to recieve paper checks in the beginning at the end of week 4. No problem. Now... it's the end of week 5 and they claim that my pell grant hasn't posted to my account yet which means it'll be probably 2-3 more weeks before I receive anything. This is my last quarter (although I'm not finished with my degree) with Strayer. A lot of the things they do are really shady (in my eyes).
 14th of Apr, 2010 by   Older Student +2 Votes
Ditto..Did you know signing the form to direct deposit also gives them authorization to withdraw funds from your account too...IT DOES so watch out.
 10th of May, 2010 by   strawberry5804 +2 Votes
Hell I was told it takes 8-10 weeks from the payment date (of my VA assistance) to reflect in my student account. This is CRAP! I need this money to survive and to pay for books for next semester! I have been attending Strayer for 2 years now and every semester it is something else..something else is wrong..I signed up for direct deposit but they have yet yo use it and when I call to find out about it (or ask any other question) not only are they rude at the Business Office, they also have no clue how to answer my questions. 8-10 weeks from the date of VA funds disbursal...I called the VA and they paid the school - DIRECT DEPOSIT - on 22 Mar 2010--2 weeks BEFORE the semester started and they are telling me it takes the school 8-10 WEEKS for it to find its way to my account??? BULL S&*T!!! This will be my last semester here...I cannot take this anymore..I just jacked up my midterms because I have been so stressed over this...it is just not right!!!
 24th of Aug, 2010 by   FORMER STUDENT_ORLANDO 32817 +2 Votes
I have experienced the SAME thing at the East Campus here in Orlando Florida. The are completely crooks and they should be reported. I inquired about my refund during week 3 and was told that Direct Loans was the reason for my funds being delayed and it was not necessary to contact them because they were only going to refer me back to the school (as if it were some secret). Well I contacted Direct Loans anyways and spoke with a rep from the LOAN ORIGINATION DEPT and was told that my funds had been disbursed on Wednesday August 1, 2010. Well here it is August 24, 2010 & I was just informed by the financial aid rep that my funds were just deposited on yesterday and I should receive my refund by next Monday. Well this is a bunch of BS! They're constantly telling lies and the sad part is that they can't keep up with them. I was told that when funds are disbursed from Direct Loans they come through on WEDNESDAYS and get disbursed the following Friday. So how is it that my funds arrived on yesterday which was MONDAY????
 2nd of Jan, 2011 by   kstclair +2 Votes
I am having the same issue, the semester is now over and I still dont have my Pell Grant from last semester and the new starts tomorrow. This is like the third time Ive been through this with them. I am ready to switch schools. I am going to complete this semester since I already have my books and tomorrow is the start date, but I am at the end of my rope with them. It gets later and later every time.
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   cn4sk +2 Votes
So very true about strayer holding out on student disbursements! I have been attending strayer for 3 1/2 years at least and they have diffinately taken a turn for the worst>
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   lkt +2 Votes
i think its ashame as well, how do they expect students to stay focused, survive and finish school if their worried about when their refund would post. The teachers never worry about receiving their checks so why should the students. most students are workin, supporting kids and attending school. hat off to all the students sticking with it.
 18th of May, 2011 by   JS1981 +2 Votes
I have had problems getting my refund from day one, this quarter right now we are in week 8 and still nothing! I will be transferring after this quarter because this is a load of bull, everythime you ask someone about it all I get is well we have done everything on our part its the federal government that hasnt done everything! whatever! I never had this problem with the last college I attended!
 15th of Jul, 2011 by   nires20072 +2 Votes
I really need someones help i am currently a sophmore at strayer my loans went up to 10500 so today i checked to see if any of my financial aid had posted to my account when i received my award letter it said that i would be receiving 1388 for my pell so i look today and i only received 463 for y pell for this semester is this right. I basically have to survive from my refund check so i dont know what is going on I have called my financial advisor and a couple of other people at the school and they are not returning my calls or emails has any one else experienced this problem with their pell i called the nsld and they said that they disburse what the financial aid office says that i need i am tired of this bs here it is week 3 and i am yet to receive a refund hell i might not even be recieving a refund du/e to me not getting all my money for my damn pell does anyone have any ideas
 19th of Jul, 2011 by   Tlady2000 +2 Votes
I just noticed that my pell grant went from $1, 388 to $463 and I am trying to find out why? I goggled to see if it changes and found this site full of complaints. I always thought something did not seem right and upfront.
 20th of Oct, 2011 by   waiting4refund -1 Votes
lol you guys are funny if you can't afford to go to college then don't pretty simple
 7th of Nov, 2011 by   Marth Steward +1 Votes
These People are right, something definitely need to done about Strayer university I am a student there, but i am about to withdraw and go to a college, that cares about the student and not fattening their pockets on the students expense. its a shame how they control your financial aid. They will not give your refund, They lie They always say the system is not responding or we are dealing with a new system. All lies. Please if you are with them get out before its too late. and if you are getting ready to register, don't please don't. You will run your life not start it. you are better off going to a more creditable college. The customer service is ghetto fabulous!!! If you are thinking about registering thinking you are going to get refunded for what they owe you, think again. its not going to happen unto you finish the 11week course or close to it. They or conspiring to rob people. Especially the ones they prey on for financial aid. The government needs to wake up. most colleges like them are over charging the students. They wont answer the phone, and when they do they have a lie for you about your refund, this is crazy. They have your money, but they use it to pay their bills and gain interest. It a racket, believe me. So please people stop patronizing these criminal. They are criminal with a license to rob people. STOP!! before you go to STRAYER UNIVERSITY!!! PLEASE!!!
 7th of Nov, 2011 by   Marth Steward +1 Votes
And you are stupid. I am going to college because i can afford it. But if i have over paid then i want my refund. Evidently you have no schooling at all. You sound dumb and you are. I can tell. Why don't you get a life and mind you own business. College won't accept you because you are a dropout. thanks Now shut Your SHTTTT!
 6th of Feb, 2012 by   newstudent2012 0 Votes
I am a first time student here and i got my check Jan 24 2012. i did see that i only got 842 and when i went to the locial college here in KY i was getting 5, 000 back each time. i like this college because ita all online and im a mother of 2 boys so i need the online classes. but i would like to know y im not getting what i was here at the local college. when does money get sent out eveytime u start a class or every other quarter?
 27th of Apr, 2013 by   GMCNEAL 0 Votes
Strayer University is a bunch of BS!!!1 Its MY money and I NEED IT NOW!!!
 19th of Sep, 2013 by   LIZMiranda 0 Votes
i also agree but i want to recomend that you take some classes at straighterline.com you know they are partners with Strayer the classes are guareented to transfer the credits to strayer towards your degree! The classes are $50 each and a month payment of $99!!! You have to buy/rent your books (I suggest chegg.com) check this website out its legit and the best thing is you can finish at your own pace. I am a prime example of taking a few because what Strayer doesnt tell you is that your loans MAX out BEFORE you even finish for your Bachelors!!! Be Aware guys!
 13th of Nov, 2013 by   aprilmariecox 0 Votes
this is my first time going to strayer. i didnt knowe that thier were so many complaints about this school. my first quarter is almost over. i still havent recived my refund yet. they keep telling me 3 to 5 business days, then they say 7 to 10 business days, i dont know what to believe anymore. this is nothing but bull crap. this is so totally my first and last quarter here.
 19th of Jun, 2014 by   Melody_c 0 Votes
I enrolled in strayer a couple days ago !!! And I just want to thank all of you because tomorrow I am going down to the campus to withdraw before I even start class on July 1, 2014. It's June 18, 2014. I believe all of you because its just too many bad reviews on every site that I visit !! I wish I would have went with my gut and not have signed up, but I am getting out if this before it's too late for me. I'm not going to even start and have to deal with some much bs that you guys had to deal with. It's sad that it's schools out here that get away with robbing people that are simply trying to make their lives better! I'm sorry that you guys had to endure this bs from them and hopefully everything works out for you all. Thank you for helping me dodge this bullet !!!
 20th of Aug, 2014 by   outofpatiencewithstrayer 0 Votes
I don't know what is going on with Strayer and why they hold refunds the way they do, but i am done with them. My classes started on July 1, 2014. When I check my awards details on the Icampus it says that my Pell Grant paid $0 on July 12, 2014 and my direct loans are just accepted as of July 12, 2014. Now I just don't know what they are doing. Every time I call I get someone who doesn't seem to understand what is going on and tell me not to worry about it. Its pretty hard not to worry about it because I don't want them sending me no bills after the fact. I will be transferring after I finish this quarter. Please if you are reading this and thinking about enrolling with Strayer University either online or campus please DON"T STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL!!

Credit Report Ripoff?