logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Hughes Net
Horrible internet provider & service!
2. (51 mins ago)
Nice, Polite Ways of Working and Hassle-Free Execution of Projects

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Straight Talk Mobile Phones Service, Rhode Island Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent Service Cards

Straight Talk Mobile Phones Service Contacts & Informations

Straight Talk Mobile Phones Service

Posted:    Crankyyankee

Fraudulent Service Cards

Straight Talk
Rhode Island
CROOKED TALK! DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING BUSINESS WITH THESE CRIMINALS! I purchased a Straight Talk cell phone and service plan card at Walmart - $134. I activated the phone on line at StraightTalk.com, entering the phone's serial number and the service card's PIN which was required to activate service on the phone. The phone worked for 2 hours before completely shutting down. I returned the phone to Walmart and exchanged it for an upgrade phone. I was told I could transfer the remaining days (29) on the service plan card to my new phone. That was not true. When I phoned Straight Talk customer service, in BELIZE, CENTRAL AMERICA I was told by a Straight Talk representative, with very limited English skills, that I had to purchase another $45+ service card for the new phone as the original service card went with the old, broken phone, and that I cannot activate the new phone until I purchase another card! I asked "what if the second phone is also defective?" "Then you have to get a new phone and buy another service plan card." I think this is called EXTORTION - for certain, it is a slimy way to do business! I am filing a formal complaint with the RI State Attorney General's Office, Consumer Justice branch. Bottom line: Straight Talk is CROOKED TALK! DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING THESE CRIMINALS!
Comments United States Mobile & Cell Phones
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Dec, 2009 by   KHRT 0 Votes
Had terrible experiance with Straight talk customer service. Waited 5 days to port my old number.
They never could get my phone activated. Told it only works in your home zip code. Refused to refund my money. Stay away from Straight Talk.!!!
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   zaxxman43 0 Votes
i bought a straight talk phone at walmart and it was working in thirty minutes
 20th of Dec, 2009 by   loast 0 Votes
Straight talk customer care is very teribal had to have phone replaced under warranty 25 days to recive a new phone had to fight with customer care. Was told several times i have a new phone in 3 days. YEAH sure. I filed a dispute with Visa regarding the straight talk phone. Manage to get a full refund for air time The bank conated Straight talk corporat office Finaly got somthing done. Bank said my claim was Valid and gave me back $32 and some change for air time . Today i still have the problem with my cell phone Droping incoming calls. If i leave my home area the Phone works fine. I keep telling them it is a network issue not a the phone.
 25th of Dec, 2009 by   Whatagreatdeal123 0 Votes
Bought two straight talk phones, ported numbers from AT&T. Both phones were up and running in minutes. No problems at all :) (keep in mind that the original poster took Walmart's advice, which was incorrect. Straight Talk didn't make that decision for them.)
 26th of Dec, 2009 by   yad bhujel -1 Votes
i tried to see videos but i am unable to view, why?
 27th of Dec, 2009 by   butterflyawaynow 0 Votes
I have also had problems with Straigh Talk! Bought a new straight talk phone; gave the old one to my mom in law for christmas with a brand new card. Transferred my new phone so I could keep my number on my new phone. Mom in law called a day later to transfer old phone into her name and get a new number for it. Activated it and tried to set up number transfer at the same time using a different phone to TALK TO BELIZE, but all the sudden, my account on straighttalk.com was now under her name! I called them to get this fixed and they de activated BOTH our phones and would not refund the $45 plus tax for the new card my mom in law just used to activate it an HOUR before they disconnected our phones NOR would they give us a new card number!!! I asked them if they could see the time and date stamped on their computer screens of the card to know that this card was used an hour ago to do the same thing they screwed up in the first place on, and supervisor said yes. Still she would not refund the card or give us a new card when they were the ones that made the mistake in the first place!!! I was also talking to someone in Belize! Try fighting with a dude that doesn't understand English! I asked him if he knew what S***Head meant!!! DON'T DO STRAIGHT TALK!! IF YOU WANT AN UNLIMITED PREPAID, GO WITH AT&T OR VERIZON FOR $10 MORE A MONTH. At least you will have customer service and they actually do something about it when THEY F*** up!!!
 30th of Dec, 2009 by   Talk2Me 0 Votes
Sorry to hear what you to go through. I live in Miami and bought Straighttalk phone from a local Walmart. It took me less than 30 minutes to activate and it's working great -haven't had to call Customer Service for anything so far!
 3rd of Jan, 2010 by   gae304 0 Votes
I purchased 2 straight talk phones and attempted to transfer my numbers from Sprint. Both phones started working in 30 minutes. However, customer service had to deactivate one of the phones because it was "not activated properly." My phone was deactivated 6 days ago, and despite my attempts to contact customer no-service, the phone still has not been re-activated. Straight Talk customer service is worthless and you should NOT contact them for anything. They tell you that the phone will be activated in 1, 24, or 48 hours, but the statement is a ploy to get the customer off the phone. I have read other people's complaints and you must contact the corporate office in Miami, FL. Their phone number is 1-800-876-5753 and they are open Mon-Fri. I will be calling the corporate offce this week to have my problem resolved.
 8th of Jan, 2010 by   mjightr 0 Votes
I am having the same problem, bought phone and have been trying to get the number porting for over a week, they customer service does suck. They have been telling me that they were having problems and my old service provider would not release the number, then they said my service provider needed a pin number, so when they told me that I had my service provider on three-way and they didn't know it, my service provider stated they didn't need a pin and said they didn't even have a request from straight talk. From that point they have been telling me 24 hours, 2-6 hours, 48 hours and so on... This is a bunch of crap. I do have another straight talk phone that I didn't have to get ported and it works fine. The one I want ported its just a waste of money and I'm on the phone with them right now trying to get this issue resolved.
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   crystalRoXanne4 0 Votes
im also pretty irate about this straight talk crap i bought the 100 dollar phone with the 45 dollar plan and i tried activateing it about 7 hours ago and still it's not active... although it says it's active on the internet and the number they gave to call i still havnt recieved my phone number or service... it's truely frustrateing.
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   rich_ard +1 Votes
does anyone one know if i can check any statement. phone records, online usage stuff a normal phone carrier would offer?
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   rich_ard 0 Votes
i was wondering if anyone knew if straight talk has some type of statements ( call history, online usage, ect.)
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   Jason the unhappy 0 Votes
My wife switched to Staright Talk about two weeks ago. She bought the $149 phone with $45 service. They never gave her the new number to the phone or otherwise told her that it was activated. I finally found the number in the settings area of the phone. The phone wouldn't ring loud enough to hear it. Called customer service and they told me they'd send me a new phone along with a return envelope to return the old phone after she transferred her pic, numbers ect. from the old phone. A week later we received a big 'ol box. In it was a return envelope and some padding. When I called to tell them they forgot to include the phone they told me to send the old phone and after they received it they'd send me a replacement. Red Flag! She decided to wait til Walmart got new phones and return it there. Now today she purchased a new $45 card to extend her service (I only get paid once a month so she'd figured she'd pay it in advance) After she loaded the new card to her phone her new expiration date was 30 from today rather than 30 days from her original expiration date. So she lost 14 days of service, and had paid for those days of service twice! When I called customer service the find out why, I ended up talking to a guy in Guatimala City. He told me they could not extend the expiration and refund the services we paid for. He said that if you add a new card to your phone BEFORE it comes due you loose the remaining days of service and service starts over at that point. I talked to he supervisor, got the same run around, got a number the Miami, called and got the same run around from the supervisor there. He told me he'd e-mail his boss and see if he will do anything about it. Seems to me from their web sight that the encourage you to add a new service card BEFORE your 30 of service expire but neglect to tell you that if you add early you'll loose your remaining days of service. RIP OFF!!! So you end up paying TWICE fr the same days!!
 5th of Mar, 2010 by   vernongray 0 Votes
Great phone. Was up and running in less then 30 minutes. Most problems occur with the person not reading or following directions. If its so horrible you should take the phone back and get a Verizon plan with a 1000 minutes for $69.99 to $129.99. You get what you pay for. Wife uses and has no problem.
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   ANNIE68 -1 Votes
THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH FOR A REPLACEMENT THAT WAS PROMISED TO NOT ONLY ME, BUT MY HUSBAND TOO. WE BOUGHT A PHONE FOR $40, AND THE UNLIMITED PLAN FOR $45...THE PHONE WORKED GREAT UNTIL WE GOT THE SECOND MONTH OF SERVICE. HE HAD ISSUES WITH THE PHONE THAT THE TECHNICAL SUPPORT COULD NOT FIX. HE WAS PROMISED A NEW PHONE IN 3-5 DAYS. THAT'S GREAT, THEN WE GOT THE EMPTY BOX. THEY WANTED TO GET THE OLD PHONE FIRST BEFORE SHIPPING OF THE NEW ONE. THAT WAS NOT AGREED TO, AND TOLD TECH SUPPORT ABOUT IT IN THE BEGINNING. IT IS A BUSINESS PHONE AND CAN'T BE WITHOUT IT. WE HAVE NOW TALKED TO 4 DIFFERENT PEOPLE ABOUT THIS ISSUE, 3 OF WHICH TOLD US WE WOULD HAVE THE NEW PHONE IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY CELL COMPANY THAT WANTS THE OLD PHONE FIRST, UNLESS IT'S SOMEWHERE WITHIN TRAVELING DISTANCE TO THE NEAREST STORE, BEFORE THE NEW ONE IS RECEIVED. THE SUPERVISOR (BOTH OF THEM) EVEN SAID POINT BLANK THEY WOULD NOT SEND THEIR OLD PHONE IN BEFORE GETTING THE NEW ONE. I WILL NOW FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB, THE NEWS STATIONS, AND WHOM EVER ELSE I CAN THINK OF. THIS IS USELESS STRESS THIS COMPANY CAUSES FOR NO REASON. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY FOR ANY REASON TO ANYONE. POLICY CAN'T BE OVER-RIDDEN, MY ASS!! I HAVE DEALT WITH CUSTOMERS FOR 20 YEARS, AND OVER- RIDING COMPANY POLICY IS WHAT SUPERVISORS ARE SUPPOSE TO DO, THAT'S THEIR JOB, AND IF IT IS OVER-RIDDEN, THERE IS A GOOD REASON.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   Hyruu -1 Votes
You guys need to read the fine print. Every issue you complain about here is written in the booklet none of this was secret covert ops against you. If I was to give you a free car and the radio stopped working in 4 years you would bitch.
 15th of May, 2010 by   Lori914 0 Votes
I have just bought my StraightTalk phone almost a month ago and so far I LOVE IT! I did have service through Alltel but was forced to switch to Verizon. I loved Alltel but Verizon SUCKED OUT LOUD! I was buying a new $15 dollar refill card twice a week, do the math, thats $30 a week. With straight talk I only spend $45 dollars a month and get unlimited talk, text (including pix and sound), and unlimited Mobile Web. I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS!!! I live in a very rual area where AT&T and T-Mobile do not have towers and therefor do not work where I live. Straight talk has service EVERY WHERE! Any how my point for this comment is that I love my new straight talk phone and don't get why everyone is complaining. This is a fairly new company so of course they are gonna have minor bugs and issues with Cust. Service that need to be worked on but come on ppl!!! What do you REALLY HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?!!! You are getting a great deal for $45 bucks a month. Where else are you gonna find a deal like that?!!

Peace, Love, Empathy,

Lo
 15th of May, 2010 by   Lori914 0 Votes
I love my new StraightTalk phone! NO Complaints here!
 20th of May, 2010 by   tere jordan 0 Votes
I have had my straight talk for a couples of months and absolutely loved it, until it decided to go haywire. It takes forever and day to get someone on the phone. Well after 4 days the first time problem was resolved. This last time cannot reach anybody. I now have been sitting here holding for 16 minutes. I am very angry with the customer service. They tell you on the recording please don't hang up or you can go online to check on things. So when I pulled it up it says the website is still underconstruction. I just want to cuss. I will be going back to att&t. I can stand being ripped off.
 19th of Jul, 2010 by   twesaak 0 Votes
I dont have a problem with the phones, they work great. The problem I have is that for the past 8 months, the minutes have been rolling over every month. I had up to 50 hour at one point. So I decided to get rid of our home phone, and just keep our cell phones. I use mine to work with, I do catering and need to keep in touch with my clients. We added our new time, and the new hours wouldnt go on the phone, we waited for a day (luckily we got our cards a day before our service expired), nothing happend. We call customer service, and told them that the cards didnt work. They asked how many hours we had on them, and told them 36 hours for each phone, which they confirmed with their computers, and then they started to add the new cards on our phone. They reset our phones and we lost all those hours. They said there was nothing they could do, we asked for a supervisor, and the employee (his name is Mario id#54410) forgot to close his mic out, and my wife heard him call her, "a stupid bitch". The supervisor wouldnt go anything, and told us the our phones dont do rollover minutes. We asked him then why did we have 36 hours on our phones, if they didnt rollover. He said he couldnt do anything about that. And asked him if his computer showed that we had that many hours. He said yes it did. Asked again, then how can we have that many hours of there was no rollover minutes. He said he couldnt help us, and if there was anything else. My wife told him about the "bitch" comment, he said he didnt hear that, and didnt know what we were talking about. My wife works in a call center for nintendo, they record all calls for training, and review. She told him to go into the computer(the program is the same as nintendo, and most call centers) and pull up the tape and review it. He told her that he couldnt do that only a member of management can do that. So when she asked for one, he told her that there was no memeber of management there. I find it hard to believe that there is no manager in the building with over 100 employees. He then hung up on her.
I wrote and email to the Executive Complaint Resolutions department. I got a response in 48 hours, but it was a automated response, and they added 15 minutes back on to our account, and no mention about the employees.

I have to agree with most people on here, DONT BUY THERE PHONES!!! unless you also buy some vasiline with it, as you are going to get screwed.

5 Tips on Finding a Real Estate Agent