logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
American Laser Center
Fraud, possible class action lawsuit
2. (19 mins ago)
Wyzant.com
They are a horrible company and I urge any who wish to tutor not to bother with these scam artists
3. (32 mins ago)
Leor Skin Care
They started to steal from us
4. (1 hr 9 mins ago)

Straight Talk Cell Phone

Posted:    BeesWife

Poor customer service

Straight Talk
We purchased a Straight Talk phone from Wal-mart for our teenage son. The packaging leads you to believe that you get a free phone card with your purchase & when you realize that you DO NOT & contact their Customer Service dept., NOONE speaks English. The reps are like Robots & no matter what question you ask, the rep gives you the same freakin' answer. We called SEVERAL times over SEVERAL days before finally deciding to return the phone. Straight Talk SUCKS!!!
Comments United States Mobile/Cellular Service Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Aug, 2009 by   Army Wife 12607 +2 Votes
I have a straight talk phone and no where on the package does it say that it comes with a phone card, u have to purchase it separately, the woman I spoke to on the phone to activate my phone had trouble with spelling my last name but spoke "fairly good" english, its better than some phone companies employees around here. As a matter of fact I'm looking at the package the phone comes in right now and it tells you that you have a choice of the 30 minute prepaid card or 45 minute prepaid card (EACH SOLD SEPARATELY) maybe u have it confused with at&t or verizon.
 27th of Oct, 2009 by   airbourncustoms +1 Votes
if you would look at the box that the phone comes in at wallmart it says "phone card not included" now if you go to straight talk .com they sell them to getter. Next time read the box its not that hard my five year old son seen it .
 13th of Nov, 2009 by   Jeanne G W 0 Votes
I purchased a Straight Talk phone AND Phone card directly from Straight Talk online. DO NOT DO THIS ! I called to activate my phone card (no where in the ads does it say there is an extra charge to activate your phone or extra cost for the card.). They activated my phone and I thought that was it. Then 2 days later they start deducting my checking account for $47.23 ...for WHAT??? Is this going to be a regular deduction?? I have no idea. If you decide not to renew your card every month...does this mean they will automatically do this for you??? Tell me that's NOT a contract you are obligated to. I am very disappointed with this service and I feel like a lot of people who order online will have the same problem. Once they get your card number, they take advantage of you. If I am missing something here, someone please let me know.
 20th of Nov, 2009 by   toddsdad 0 Votes
I have phones from Tracfone and NET 10 and have had few problems so I bought a Straight Talk Phone for my wife. The previous complainants are correct about the inability of the call center workers to speak English. I also could not activate the phone locally on the website. There is a small disclaimer saying My Account is Under Construction.
The only other annoying thing is that the phone has a verbose balance indicator that gives you an audible balance prior to each call and I can't figure out a way to mute it.
 26th of Nov, 2009 by   Geno1235 0 Votes
Please take into consideration the PRICE difference of Straight Talk versus the Goliath Phone companies... AT&T Verizon and TMobile... Straight Talk is giving you all features for HALF the price... that equates to a whopping $600 a year savings!!! Thats HUGE!!! for that kind of savings I'm certainly willing to tolerate a few inconveniences...For the lady who complained about the phone card not being included with the phone... do you realize that still this is much much cheaper than a phone from the big 3? For the person who has Straight Talk deduct from their checking account... never ever ever do this for anyone!! Instead have your bank electronically SEND the check to them... its free at most major banks!! And for the person who said that their call center speaks broken English... I understand that can be quite irritable... but then again I'm willing to deal with it considering I'm saving $600 a year... just my though
 27th of Nov, 2009 by   perfumenut 0 Votes
Pls everyone understand. Straight talk may be from Wally World (Walmart); but it doesn't say anywhere that their customer svc is in America. I have spoken to both central america and the PI (Phillippi Islands); and I can agree that this is about the worst customer svc that I have ever experienced.

Maybe if a bunch of us wrote the CEOOOOO of Walmart and told him what was going on, they might do something, or is the CEO of "Walmart (like the rest of CEO's in America); looking at how big his paycheck is and how big it will get. I hope so.
Folks this is the worst CS I have experienced. You can't get any worst than straight talk CS. Their phones may be cheappppppppp, but their CS if the worst I have ever experienced.
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by   dan29 -1 Votes
I have spent over 3 hours on the phone combined today trying to get one thing fixed after the other...None of which have been my fault. At this point I am extremely pissed with their customer service. This has been about the worst customer service department I have ever dealt with!!!
 9th of Dec, 2009 by   Killroy 0 Votes
OK HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE ON STRAIGHT TALK...HOPE IT HELPS.
FORGET THE NUMBER ON THE BOX FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE .. THEY ARE BRAIN DEAD.
CALL CORPORATE OFFICE AT 1-800-876-5753
THEY ARE IN MIAMI AND SPEAK ENGLISH!!!
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT !
THEY WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM RIGHT AWAY.. THEY DID FOR ME.
 9th of Dec, 2009 by   Killroy 0 Votes
ANOTHER COMMENT:
CALLED THE 1-800-876-5753 THEY SOLVED MY ISSUES IN THE MOST
PROFESSIONAL MANNER.
DO NOT CALL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER ON THE BOX UNLESS YOU LIKE
TO TORTURE YOURSELF.
NOW I'M HAPPY AND MY PHONE IS WORKING RIGHT.
 24th of Dec, 2009 by   ALDOE +1 Votes
I recently switched to Straight Talk. I bought a phone at wal-mart and then bought an additional phone from straight talks website. Everything with the service and price is amazing. After two days of the new phone I decided its no good, and will be returning the phone. I've been trying to switch back to the origional phone.. for the past two days. I've tried online, as well as calling in person. Each time I call the customer service people are very friendly and nice.. but have been unable to activate my old phone. I was on the phone for three hours yesterday, and have been on the phone for two hours today. Customer service is probably why your paying so little per month. I hope to figure this out, because other than wasting my time with customer service I have NO complaints with the service.
 26th of Dec, 2009 by   Mike Och +1 Votes
Hilarious that someone would complain about the ability to speak English and then get upset because of their own illiteracy and deficient reading comprehension skills.
 2nd of Jan, 2010 by   Gouge 0 Votes
I'd like to add my voice to the fray. I've experienced the same dismal customer service of Straight Talk. Unfortunately, I think they could remedy many of their complaints by stately CLEARLY realistic expectations to their clients. I stated simply enough to them that if they restated AFTER their steps to activate blurb that they're might STILL be a waiting period to port a number that it would probably solve people's expectations. As it was, I successfully completed all 5 steps to transfer a number with Straight Talk and it explicitly states my phone would be activated following those steps. Of course, now all my phone services are down and I'm waiting for Straight Talk's "please wait 24 hours" "please wait 24 hours" "please wait 24 more hours" "please wait 24 additional hours" Today I heard, please wait "48 hours" for the first time. I've been told multiple different reasons for the delay. And that's where things stand at present. I wish I could say I was the only one with this situation. Unfortunately we have other family members who experienced the same delay--actually a week without phone service. Had they only been CLEARLY communicated to.
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   theoddoneout 0 Votes
When we first went with Straight Talk we had a similar problem we purchased a phone and couldn't get it to activate online no matter how hard we tried. We called in and had the similar problem of frustrating dialect misunderstandings due to broken spoken English but in the last 9 months since we've had exemplary service both calls and customer service wise. yes cs service is a bit hard to understand. I wouldn't suggest calling while riding down the road with the windows open and the radio blaring. However with a bit of patience and understanding and a keen mind on recalling that you're only paying $30/$45 a month for service that others are paying upwards of $100+ for from the big 3 I would say count your blessing that a little hard to understand the dialect of your customer service rep and that you have the occasional phone glitch (that happens with those phones from the big 3 too, we've all had them after all).
 12th of Jan, 2010 by   Soulja boy +2 Votes
I have had a Straight Talk phone for 13 days now and have been having problems with it since the first day i bought it. I have called them many times. They tend to say i will have it fixed in 24 hours 48 hours 72 hours 72 hours 24 hours again 72 hours then 48 hours again after this i will have the phone for half a month and not getting all of the service i paid for. Also they wont credit my account since there service is not working right . i really dont think there service is worth it if i have to call them and stay on the phone for 30 mins here 45 mins there 1 hour here 1 hour and 45 mins there and they just keep saying well its going to higher people . well those higher people really dont no what their doing. I would be happy with a full refund but they dont see anything wrong with there service i geuss. If i wanted a ruaround i would of went back with boost mobile. As far as i see it they can take there service and shove it.
 17th of Jan, 2010 by   happy_with_straight_talk 0 Votes
I have had my phone a couple(4) of days. It seems like a good deal and is working fine. I was able to activate online, yes it does say account area under construction but this did not hinder the process, there were a few issues during activation (on the username/password page I think, kept sending me back to the beginning of that page after clicking submit) basically some issue with data entered/not entered but there was no warning telling there was a problem...I took my time and figured it out after a few bumps. My phone number transfered from Sprint within 15 - 20 mins (could have been less) after which I had to call a five digit number then some final confirmation during my first call. Since then it looks good...phone, service, etc.
1. package does state phonecards are separate.
2. i didn't nor don't have the issue of announcing balance(never heard it on my phone).
3. i was not overcharged. i suppose my plan is to buy cards from Walmart rather than allow charges to my credit card.
4. this is the first time i am doing prepaid so I purchased the cheapest phone just in case..seems like i will be upgrading soon.
5. prior to activation i was somewhat concerned with transport time but was happy with results.
6. in general i didn't experience the problems the other had. so far, i have had a great experience.
 2nd of Feb, 2010 by   dunttt 0 Votes
Page Plus is cheaper and their customer service office is in Ohio, they run off of verizon towers and you can even bring a verizon phone and they will activate it. 39.99 unlimited talk and text and 20 mb internet ( which is fine unless you stream ) or 30.00 a month for 1200 min 1200 text and im not sure how many mb internet i think its 40 or 50. you get 200 more min and 200 more text for the same price as straight talk. now i am not defending the inability to actually get through because a lot of times you call and it says all circuits are busy but thats because they are the fastes growing prepaid wireless company in america. http://www.pagepluscellular.com
they even have pay as you go plans that are pretty cheap, straight talk only has 2 options. there are times when you might not have 30 or 45 bucks to buy a card, with page plus you may buy a $10 card and get 100 min which doesnt expire for 3 months from the day you buy it, . i love page plus with the exception of the "all circuits are busy sometimes" i took my straight talk phone back to walmart after my minutes were expired and used my old pre paid verizon phone.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   dave in ny 0 Votes
straight talk customer service reps have been really helpful in my experience. there is a difference between not speaking english and having an accent. to confuse the two goes beyond ignorance. the reps are nice, and they have been helpful for the most part. the problem is the way the company is run. i dealt with one misinformed cs rep who sold me a 30 dollar re-up as mine had run out. i had purchased a re-up the day before online, but my phone wasn't making calls. this person told me that was because the purchase never went through. so i bought one over the phone right then and there. then i saw 2 charges on my account. called, was told i would be getting a refund. then i called back 2 weeks later when there was no refund. then i was told that because i bought 2 cards i had simply been given double the service, and a refund was no longer possible. each of these phone calls lasted at least 30 minutes and i was constantly being told to wait while they accessed my information. i called the corporate office and explained the situation, and they finally refunded me today - 3 weeks after i had originally been told i would be receiving one. this to me indicates more of a problem with management and corporate weasels than with the so called "people who don't speak no english." my 2 cents.
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   Avema 0 Votes
I just bought the LG220C tonight (cheapest straighttalk phone) & set up & activated my account via straighttalk.com. Now I cannot use my phone! Online it says I have 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 32 mgb of web, but when I go to make a call, it rings, then a automated message comes on that says, "Please hold while your call is transfered to an external operator where you should be able to complete your call via credit card, calling card, or collect call. ANNOUNCEMENT 10 (switch) 1400-49". WTF?!? I paid $39.99 + $30.00 + taxes today & CAN'T USE MY PHONE! I AM UPSET TO SAY THE VERY LEAST! =(

Reach me at: poole_Eva@hotmail.com
 5th of Feb, 2010 by   Lukesgirr2010 -2 Votes
Straight talk is great! you all are a bunch of stupid americans that arent greatful for anyhting! maybe if you have complaints dont buy it go get a contract that is gonna cost you more than double for everything they are giving!
 6th of Feb, 2010 by   MaryElizabeth81 0 Votes
Heh. I love how Lukesgirr2010 calls us 'stupid Americans' yet can't even spell grateful or use punctuation properly. Anyway, I have had Straighttalk for a few months and for the most part, I like it. The only problem I've ever had is recently, when I switched phones. I wasn't sure if I had to buy a new service card when buying a new phone, so I bought the card anyway. When I added the card, it said my phone service expired the 22nd of Feb. However, they just deactivated my phone, per my old service end date. Their customer call center doesn't open for another hour so I don't know how this will play out. I did call them last week, though, for a definite service end date and they had to keep checking my account over and over for about 30 minutes. They spoke broken English but for the most part, they were completely understandable.

What's New in Smart Phones