logo

MaSon
Dating
5. (41 mins ago)
ArcTrading
Don’t invest and deal with these criminals

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Stearns & Foster King Mattress, Sterling, Virginia Complaints & Reviews - Indentation in mattress - 2 times!

Stearns & Foster King Mattress Contacts & Informations

Stearns & Foster King Mattress

Posted:    B'Lynn Munn

Indentation in mattress - 2 times!

Stearns & Foster
Sterling, Virginia
We purchased the "top of the line" mattress in November 2004 for right under 3K from Mattress Warehouse - a Stearns & Foster King Set, ultra plush Euro pillow top. Within a few months it had developed a HUGE indentation in the middle that we would fall in to. We followed the waranty procedure and it was replaced finally in July 2006. The new mattress was the "Grant PArk" model - a latex mattress costing around 5K (per salesman). Within a few months this mattress, too, has started having a huge hole in the middle that you have to pull yourself out of. My husband and I are average size adults and we were out of state for over 3 months last year and didn't even use it. 3 months ago we started the warranty replacement process again. Mattress Warehouse has been impossible to deal with so we contacted Stearns and Foster. They were worse - no customer service at all. After filing a complaint with the BBB and continuing to pursue this we just received approval for a replacement mattress last week. Mattress Warehouse has advised to look in to another brand - HOWEVER - insisting that Stearns & Foster is the best and they rarely have problems with them. I wish there was a consolidated place where we could list our experiences so people looking at mattresses in the future could learn from what we have gone through. S & F makes low quality mattresses at high prices.
Comments United States Furniture
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Dec, 2007 by   dee evans 0 Votes
What are the chances of logging on at 6 am and finding someone else with the exact problem as me. I too am working on my third S&F mattress. The first was a temper-pedic wanna be. Felt like I was sleeping on concrete. The second was supposed to be top of line for twin. Within 2 mos it started sagging in the middle. Eventually they sent someone out to photograph the mattress and see on what you had it placed on. In my case it was a steel frame with old fashioned oak slats. So there was no justification for this amount of sagging. Oh, yes I was given credit to get a new mattress at our Sleepy's store locally. By this time I just wanted a refund and go elsewhere. But no such luck. So I went to a new store that just opened and hoped their salesmen were more knowledgeable. Maybe we as consumers should go to mattress school or a school for consumers so were not to afraid of salesmen. Even when you think you ask the right questions you can still end up with a more expensive mattress with the same damn problem. Now I schudder to think of the hassle, I will face when I complain again. They must think all I want is a new mattress every 6mos. When in all honesty, all I want is sustained sleep and healthy sleep. I've been nothing but ill since I've these mattresses. They are not memory foam per sea. I am tired of spending high prices for low quality. I know people who are heavier than myself and sleep just fine. So I know it's not me. I've tried turning the mattress ans the new ones cannot be overturned. I've tried sleeping on an angle to redistribute the weight across the bed but to no avail. I've just put a board between the box spring and top but that doesn't really help. AND WHY SHOULD i FOR THE PRICE I PAID FOR THIS MATTRESS. It was supposed to be the upgrade to the original. I'd like to hear from other S$F buyers with similar problems. Oh, one more thing. Every time you return a product you must pay $69.95 redelivery fee. That is the ultimate insult to the already overinflated prices. Thanks. Dee
 13th of Jan, 2008 by   Anne MIller 0 Votes
My husband and i purchased a S&F "Grant Park" a year and a half ago. After 1 month i noticed a sagging which has only gotten worse. I have contacted Sam Levitz, they have referred me to S&F customer complaints. We are just now starting that complaint process. From what i hear, we are in for a long fight with S&F. We spent $2500 on that bed-- and can barely sleep in it! I wish i had read these complaints before i spent all that money. I will never purchase a STEARNS AND FOSTER MATTRESS EVER AGAIN AND WILL TELL ANYONE THAT WILL LISTEN.
 28th of Feb, 2008 by   AHMSILALALAND 0 Votes
The Stearns and Foster company must have changed gears. We complained on our first King Mattress after about 5 years and they sent someone out that used a compression kit. They reported the failure to the company and we were issued a voucher and replaced the mattress. Now with the new one the warranty is 10 years and we are having issues with the mattress so I called. Now the company does not know about the compression test, there must be a visual indent in the bed at all times 1 1/2" or they will not replace it. This is a new procedure so the company is not helping the consumer stay with the product. Like I said before and I will say again the quality in America has gone done and the price they want has gone up. This leads the consumer to build class action lawsuites agaist these companies and sue them into listening. It is the only way to get their attention because they don't care about us just the bottom line. Loyalty is out we need to go after them and make them either live up to their standards they claim or make sure everyone knows that their product is not worth the price we pay. Good luck everyone, I will keep you posted on my claim and what I am going through.
 8th of Mar, 2008 by   Andrea 0 Votes
We purchased a Stearns & Foster King in Sept. '07 from Macy's. We too experienced deep indentations on both sides of the bed within weeks, making it difficult to turn over and making it an uncomfortable sleep. However, reading on the warranty that impressions are normal, we didn't complain until Oct. By this time,the thirty-day "try-out" period expired, and the impressions became worse. So far we've had three inspections from Macy's and they claim the indentations must be 1 1/2 inches. It's so uncomfortable, that I feel better on the floor. We haven't paid for it as yet, and don't intend to. Wrote to the BBB who in turn contacted Macy's and am still getting the same standard response. My old mattress, which was 10 years old when I disposed of it, was in better condition than this one. A mattress is a costly purchase and we feel that Macy's has treated it's customers in a shoddy way. Would definitely not recommend purchasing anything from Macy's and keep away from Stearns & Foster. There should be an organization regulating the sale of mattresses. It's worse than purchasing a car. I'm in favor of any class action suit.
 4th of Apr, 2008 by   Andrew 0 Votes
I too had a similar experience. Sealy's (Stearn's and Foster) warranty department denied my claim due to "unsanitary conditions" of my mattress because it had a small area that yellowed probably due to sweating. My mattress did have a mattress cover on it. Sherry in their warranty department made the determination based on a photo from their independent contractor. My indention was measured at 1 5/8 by the contractor. However, he only measured one area and some areas were as deep as 2 1/4 inches. Next call I make is to the interim CEO and the BBB. This company sucks ass and I will NEVER purchase a product from them again.
 24th of Apr, 2008 by   jan porter 0 Votes
I can't believe so many people are having the same problem. We purchased the top of the line ($3, 000) King with the luxury foam top and immediately started having problems with lack of support. We also were told that unless indent was 1 1/2 inches or more they could do nothing, well now after 2 1/2 years it is 2 inches indented on both sides but Mattress Warehouse says they will not replace because of a small stain on the mattress. What does the stain have to do with the defective mattress!!! We were told by the service people that S&F very rarely goes bad but ours is the worst mattress they have seen. We are starting our fight. Good luck to all of us.
 7th of May, 2008 by   eb 0 Votes
We are going through the same problem right now!! I feel like I have to hold onto the edge of the mattress all night to keep from falling inward. I'm so frustrated I feel like crying!
They had someone from a 3rd party inspect our mattress - she said there was obviously something wrong with it and yet 3 days letter we get a letter telling us it's not a warrantable defect. We've had the mattress for 6 months and it's a piece of junk! We paid 3 grand for this lousy thing!!
My husband called S&F today who told him they couldn't do anything and he should call the mattress store to see why it's not a warrantable defect. They have still not returned his call.
I emailed them a few minutes ago - doubt I'll get a worthwhile response - i will however probably be getting a lawyer.
 15th of Jun, 2008 by   Cheryl 0 Votes
We purchased a sterns and foster 4 1/2 years ago. A queen pillow top. Pillow top is on both sides . We have flipped this matters every 6 months, and about 6 months ago the mattress began to sag in the middle. I feel like I am sleeping on a cliff. My lower back is in so much pain I ended up switching the mattress with an old mattress my mother had in her guest bedroom. The store we purchased the mattress from interestingly no longer carries sterns and foster because of poor quality and customer service. The salesman really understood what I was talking about and has encourage me to make a complaint and I will, however, there is no way I want another sterns and foster mattress. The salesman at the local store is willing to get me a better mattress and will work with me on the price so I think I will take him up on that offer and just tell everyone I know stay away from sterns and foster. Good luck to everyone.
 14th of Sep, 2008 by   garcia 0 Votes
I am having the same problem with my S&F king mattress. It was replaced once and I am having the same problem again with indentations. I finally brought out a level because a feel like I am sleeping on a slant. Sure enough the matress is not level and has body indentions. I bought mine at Bedding Experts. I have never dealt with more rude employees as I have at Bedding Experts. I then wrote to S&F and have gotten no satisfaction. But I am going to keep on trying. I would never recommend S&F or Bedding Experts to anyone.
 22nd of Feb, 2009 by   KCR +1 Votes
Agree... I have the same issue. Was looking for a tempu-pedic...but salesman said that gets too hot and the S&F was the best. No need to flip it..no need to adjust...will nenver develop a well, blah, blah, blah. Two years later...i've got a 2 inch sink-hole on my side. I'm not the smallest guy (6-3 and 220)...but this is nuts.

the "indedpendent" evaluator came out...and what do you know...small stain voids the entire warranty. Yes..we use a bed pad...yes...there is a tiny stain...but ansanitary? give me a break. I'm a neat freak...and what does a small stain on one side of the bed have to do with springs breaking down on the other? Total BS.

If i can't get sasitfaction, i'm sparying "LOSERS" on the mattress and then bolting it to the front door of mattress warehouse.
 25th of Feb, 2009 by   kellybass 0 Votes
Wow! It's always strange when you think you're alone...only to find others just like you. Purchased an S&F Oxford street pillow top about 2 years ago for app. $2500.00 dollars. Now with a 4 inch body impression, it's killing me! and now small ink stain prevents any kind of warranty replacement!? Well, I really got "took" this time. Now what to do?...a website called www.dontbuysealy.com...with every search engine pointing straight to my sight everytime someone searches "Sealy" or "Stearns and Foster" Who's with me on this? The bottom line is this: Stearns and Foster is JUNK and sealy has turned into a hack company.
 11th of Mar, 2009 by   Tammy 0 Votes
My husband and I bought a Sterns and Foseter Oxford Stree in Sept 06. Shortly after about 6 months, there were 3 1/2 inch indentions on both sides of the matteress. called Fingers here in Houston and told them, they sent a letter with paperwork to fill out, measure the indentions and send back and they would be in touch. Well to make a long story short, they lost the paperwork and now afer 2 1/2 years they finally sent a guy out tht took one look at it and said it was defective. I got a call today thet we can go to the store, (now Ashley) Fingers went out of business, and pick out a new mattress... yea right... after reading all this hat the hell do you but??? I have been sleeping on a air mattress from Walmart for the last 2 years because the S&F bed hurts me so bad I can't even sit on it... Has anyone found a GOOD MATREss out there???? We paid $4300.00 for ours///
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   Ann 0 Votes
I know you are all talking about more recent Stearns and Foster mattresses, but I have to tell you, I just now got rid of my 20 yr old Stearns & Foster top of the line king mattress and it was still going strong. I've heard from Mattressland here in Eugene Oregon that Stearns & Foster, and most any other mattress brand, are not making them the way they used to. Mattresses now wear out sooner, and are not made to last like they used to be. I'm sorry you're all having problems. I hope I don't...I ended up getting a Sealey Posturpedic Firm that is so far, so good.
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   Fran Fardell 0 Votes
My husband & I purchased a Sterns & Foster (king size & pillow top on both sides ) mattress in 2001. After six months it was ALREADY sagging. We felt like we we sleeping in holes. My husband returned to the store where we purchased it and complained. We purchased it at Bed PRO's in Brandon, Florida. It seemed the manager just blew us off . They told us to rotate the mattress & that would take care of the problem. Well it DID NOT ! Then my husband returned to the store & they handed him a bunch of papers to fill out . You would have to be a rocket scientist to fill this stupid paper out ! They wanted you to do all these meausurements regarding the sagging. We really wanted someone to contact us from Stearn's & foster.Back to the store, ONCE AGAIN & a sales-person at Bed Pros said they would have them contact us. THEY NEVER did. It became embarressing having to continue to go back to the store & complain.Well now it is 2009 & still NO Satisfaction. When I go to bed at night, I say " I'm off to the TORTURE CHAMBER ! I just do not know how to get ANY satisfaction. I am disgusted. After paying over $1.700 dollars for a bed, You would think it would be comfortable. They say the mattress has a ten year warrenty. Well I think it will take longer than ten years to get ANY SATISFACTION! I believe the Company wants the time frame to run out. I hope by some MIRACLE I will get some type of response from Stearns & Foster. I also hope that anyone buying a mattress will check out this web page, before buying a Stearn's & Foster, so they can spare themselves the pain & torture.
 12th of Apr, 2009 by   Restless 0 Votes
To: Larry Rogers
CEO Sterns & Foster / Sealy
One Office Pkwy.
Trinity, NC 27370

Mr. Rogers: Prior to this time, we have been ardent believers in Sterns & Foster. The brand has always been equated with premium quality and longevity. It was told to my wife and I last week that we should contact you directly in a final effort to resolve our dissatisfaction. We have been attempting to expedite the warranty replacement of this increasingly uncomfortable sagging queen Sterns & Foster mattress set (2 sided non-pillowtop Rose Medallion firm model) since 4/29/08.

The deep depressions of the mattress are causing us to incur physical injuries requiring periodic chiropractic adjustments and therapy at our expense. Its appalling at how our claim had been handled by consumer support. I faxed a reply on 6/2 in reply to the generic rejection letter that was mailed out to us. I called Sandra Murphy (smurphy@sealy.com) recently and she claims that she could not locate our fax and mysteriously cannot receive the e-mails sent to her at the e-mail address mentioned above. We find this hard to believe. Our e-mail attempts to the general “help desk” were subsequently bounced back.

We followed procedure. The physical mattress / box inspection was done per company rules and it was determined that the set would not be replaced under warranty because the damage measurement criteria was not met. The “normal body impressions” are anything but. There is severe internal damage that should be acknowledged and covered under warranty. We Googled “Sterns and Foster sagging” and discovered a large number of similar performance complaints to ours. This is easily verifiable. For this class of product, one would reasonably assume that excessive sagging leading to great personal discomfort was not par for the course. Deep body impressions on a regularly rotated set should be enough to approve the replacement or full refund. This is very unexpected and substandard of your company to take this position towards loyal Sterns & Foster customers.

We have babied this set since new (purchased in 2002), rotated regularly, kept immaculate, etc. To be brushed off in this manner is totally unacceptable. We are so dismayed at our treatment that we feel like going to the media to express our disgust with the product and how our complaint has been processed to this point. Our sleep set was great up until about one year ago when we began to have progressing discomfort, loss of sleep, and continued chiropractic visits due to the failure of this sleep set to perform as it has prior to this time. Bottom line is that the sleep set should be replaced as a goodwill gesture as our family have been longtime customers of Sterns & Foster and expect much better than this from your company.

Again, the sleep set should be promptly replaced under warranty as a goodwill gesture so we can get a good nights sleep without incurring continuing physical injury and discomfort caused by this product. My wife has to sleep with a pillow underneath her leg to try to compensate for the extreme sinkage. We are of normal weight and height. It has caused me body aches and circulation issues (pins & needles feeling) because this set does not support as it was designed to. We do not abuse the mattress in any way. We have also had a less expensive Sealy set that never gave us these types of issues.

UPDATE: CEO never acknowledged letter. Still suffering and at wits end with this "company" handling of our warranty claim. They apparently design the foam and other materials to last only a short period of time (and these things are not covered under warranty - very deceptive). When you are left holding the bag, they are hoping you will just turn around and spend another couple thousand dollars. NO DICE. Guess, we'll just have to chalk this up to experience. Buy a Simmons.
 23rd of Apr, 2009 by   Shelly Harris 0 Votes
I agree. Our Airloom Stearns & Foster looked like we were sleeping in 2 canoes! And that was after less than 6 months, and after spending over $2000.
We were told the impressions had to be 1.5" or more, so we have been waiting. We are now at 2" and sent the warranty claim form only to be told there is now no longer a Mattress Firm store in our community, so the retailer has directed us to the manufacturer--Stearns & Foster. After reading your comments above, I am not very encouraged that we will get satisfaction. My neighbors swear by Costco--if you buy there, they will accept it as a return!
 2nd of May, 2009 by   M. Hadley 0 Votes
After reading all of the complaints regarding Sterns & Foster, there isn't much else that I can add. My experience is the same, execpt I purchased my set 4 years ago from Burdine's, now Macy's, and have been insulted by management and treated rudely by everyone in between. It looks like contacting Sterns and Foster will only add to the frustration. I have been a loyal Macy's customer longer than I care to remember, not any more.
 6th of May, 2009 by   Jeff_p 0 Votes
I agree with all of the complaints. Our over $2000 S&F starting sagging on the sides in our normal sleeping position after about 8 months, and continues today. Without weight on the bed, it isn't enough for a warranty complaint, but lie on it and it drops down like a hammock, with a huge ridge in the middle. It's ridiculous. I'm to the point where I'm considering ripping off the "pillow top", and buying a king memory foam topper to see if it makes the bed somewhat acceptable. NEVER BUY STEARNS and FOSTER.
 30th of Jun, 2009 by   Cathy in Wyoming 0 Votes
My husband and I have the same problem with our mattress and have called the dealer (JACKSON HOLE MATTRESS COMPANY) and complained twice now and it has been two years and counting...we only have a five year warranty and I am afraid that the company will just wait till our warranty is up and let is slide till then...my husband has a bad back and does not sleep well as it is! I cannot believe that a company with a supposed reputation as this would let this kind of bad public opinion become quite public without doing something to stand by their name!? Especially in this financial climate! They will never get another dime from me and that is certain! We paid $2500 ++++ for our STEARNS & FOSTER King Mattress and Box Springs set and are totally dissapointed with this inferior product!!! DO NOT PURCHASE ANY PRODUCT from STEARNS & FOSTER OR JACKSON HOLE MATTRESS COMPANY, Jackson Hole, WYoming!!!
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   Susieqoregon 0 Votes
I see all these complaints with S&F mattress company. I can not beleive how many other are out there with same issues and spending lots of money for these mattress only to be disappointed in quality. We are in procvess of getting new king size mattress we were going to get S&F burt after reading these reviews I think not. Can anyone recommend a good brand and quality? I would really appreciate it!

Lottery Scams and Online Coupons