logo

Just Brakes = Just Bad
unnecessary brake repairs
2. (0 mins ago)
Just Brakes
Finding unnecessary repairs to Jack up price
3. (2 mins ago)
Lies
4. (3 mins ago)
Roadside bandits
5. (3 mins ago)
Just Brakes Duluth, GA
Rip Off Alert! Do not TRUST!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Staples Complaints & Reviews - STAPLES SUCKS!

Staples Contacts & Informations

Staples

Posted:    MADDOG1

STAPLES SUCKS!

STAPLES
Re: Staples Sucks
Posted by: STAPLES SUCKS BIG TIME (IP Logged)
Date: November 12, 2009 05:58PM

Here is the inside scoop to their "EasyTech" Service!

I was a General Manager for them for (5) years. I was ranked #20 in the Company of 1600+ Stores for "EasyTech" Sales! I complained to the Corporate Office about how uncomfortable I was with the way we were doing business, and offered some suggestions on how to make our "Service" better and safer to our Customers. Two weeks later I was Fired without cause because I worked in California which is a "Right to Work State" meaning they can let you go for no reason! So... Here were my concerns... You decide if you want to take your Computer to them or not!

1) When you bring your Computer in, they log you in electronically and set your Computer on the Counter for processing. Any and all associates have access to your Computer and all of it's "Personal Data!"

2) None of the "Techs" are "Certified"! I repeat... None of the "Techs" have any certification or training other than a 10 minute "Staples" test! Don't believe me? Ask to see any documentation on any of their "Techs" as being "Certified" and watch for their response!

3) Their "Techs" are hired of the street or pulled off the sales floor by being able to answer this (1) question... "Do you know anything about Computers?" If they answer yes, they are hired!

4) They offer "Free Diagnostics" knowing that "If you bring it in, it is because you know there is a problem" and they will always be able to charge you to "Fix It!"

5) If they tell you that you need a "System Restore" it is because they screwed up and "Lost All of Your Files, " and are now about to charge you an additional $100 because of their mistake!

6) 90% of the "SpyWare Removal Tools" they use are "FreeWare" on the Internet! They only Have a "Norton" Diagnostics Tool, but it "Does Not Remove Trojans or Viruses!" They use "Downloaded Free Programs" and charge you $89!

7) And Worst of All! Walk up to the counter and say you are there to pick up your Computer. Give them your name, and the Computer is yours! No I.D. or Original paperwork required! Want a free Computer? Over hear the name of a Customer dropping of a Computer, go out side, wait 10 minutes, call the Store and tell them you changed your mind and are sending your associate back to pick it up... Free Computer, and Staples has to explain to the real owner where their Computer is, and who has access to all their "Personal Information!"

Remember... I tried to warn them and got fired for doing so! They are now fair game!
Comments United States Retail Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Mar, 2011 by   Samuel3201 0 Votes
I agree with you on a few things. They really do need to revamp the goals. I'm currently a resident tech, and soon to be mobile tech. They expect too much out of the resident tech. The resident tech position should be only repairing PC's, and selling easytech services. You should not be required to be on the floor 50% of the day helping customers, that's what the rest of your team should be doing, keeping the customers away from you. I as well never got a raise moving up into the position, yet if I leave the position I am told that I will have to take a paycut, makes sence right? no. The first commerical they had was one of the worst I have seen, it didn't even explain easytech correctly. The second one that deputed is much better, but still could use some work on explaining the easytech services.
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   FunnyStuff 0 Votes
I worked for Staples for 2 years...making minimum wage. Staples is a joke. My GM was a douche, he always had something smart to say to his employees AND customers. Not to mention none of us got any hours. Pretty sad. The company as a whole is just shady. I'm glad I got out of there.
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   mrpink 0 Votes
Hi there, Mr pink here. I worked at a Washington staples for a year. I did not get fired I quit to find a better job. I do not claim to know everything about staples but I will tell you what I saw. The hours are a bit crazy, Management did work with me to get time off but other than that I found that I began missing out on my social life worse than I ever had before. Management asked me to start working split shifts and I responded with a definite NO. They did not get mad but I did have to work every late night pricing update night for the rest of my career! If you ever worked at staples and had to deal with the 3000 or so price updates and had to re size signage from corporate you will know my pain. Moving on, Management was ok. Breaking it down, The GM was a 45yo big guy who suffered from diabetes. He was demanding but quite fair. Next was the OPs manager, he was a mild mannered fellow who had trouble asking his crew to help him. He tried to do everything himself and got fired soon after I started. After that we had no POs manager for office supply for the rest of my career there. Finally we had a sales manager. He was a little man who could be quite funny at times. He did have a temper problem and a few times he tried to hit me for stuff that did not seem like a big deal. Case in point, He asked me to relieve a tech at the register and to tell him to help a customer. I did as I was told but the tech refused to leave his register. I then went to help the customer when the sales manager pulled me into the stock room and got angry. Oh by the way I might have made him angrier when I laughed at him when he was screaming at me in a violent PVT pile kind of way, sorry but i thought he was screwin with me!
Next, Management did not listen to the associates. One day I was using one of the expensive price scanners and noticed that I had it in my pocket when I helped a customer out with his chair. I found it odd that the anti theft alarm at the door did not go off, so I proposed to management that we put one of the little tags that set off the alarm at the door, if it is not deactivated, inside the battery box of the scanner. I told them that the scanners looked a lot like a PDA and a customer may try to pick one up, for these scanners were often left lying around the store. They told me it was not a good idea. A few months later one of the scanners disappeared and guess who had used it last. If you guessed me you would be right. I looked for that thing for weeks but it was gone. I got yelled at for the next 6 months in a predictable pattern depending on how many managers worked during my shift.
Next, One day I was restocking the paper wall and noticed that there were many cases of paper in mid stock. I decided to count them and worked out their weight to be a little under two ton. I then realized that that amount seemed excessive for the shelving that they rested on and asked the GM if he could ask corporate how much paper should be up there. He and every other associate laughed at me and said that the rack could hold all the paper that you could stack on it. A month later I was ordered to remove all the paper in mid stock orders sent directly from corporate! As I found out, a store's paper mid stock had collapsed in another state due to the over loading of weight on the shelves!
I seemed to be doomed to point out obvious errors in the store's managers judgment Until I learned the secret of success at staples was to just shut my mouth.
On to sales: easy sales "engage, ask, show, yes" That is in this guy's opinion is a recipe to high pressure sales. Not every customer will find what they are looking for in staples and once in a while you may just need to refer the customer to a place that would better suit their needs. Do not do this at staples! Or at least do not get caught actually helping the customer if your store does not have the product that they need. I was told over and over again to get to the YES no matter what even if that meant selling the customer stuff that they did not need. I once asked the GM if I could sell a FPP---Furniture protection plan on some file cabinets. I had read the FPP and it said that this brand was not covered, but I ran it by my GM to be sure that their had not been updates to the plan since the booklet was printed. He responded "sell the plans" It turns out that I was the only associate who had actually bothered to read the damn plan!
I could go on and write a book about all the strange stuff that goes on at staples buy I will do this in my memoirs LOL.
I understand that most of these problems were due to poor management but they are still fun to read about.
Corporate, In my opinion they are the devil! They manipulate the law so that even if you are working 40 hours a week somehow you still only get part time benefits. I am not a lawyer so I have no idea how they get away with this. Next, Sell Sell Sell, they force workers to sell an extended warranty with everything. Oh and they do keep track of who sells what and use it to goad employees to sell more, and guess what happens if you don't sell...FIRED. I felt dirty trying to slip in a warranty on elderly people's purchases and tried to avoid doing so. This worked for a week until the sales #s came in, then I was in trouble:( I once sold a $10 warranty on a $20 chair just so i didn't get fired. I learned to sell just enough to get by.
Wrapping this up, At the end of the day it was not any of these things that contributed to me quitting. I just found the job to be way too boring. It takes a special person to do the same thing every day without variation and the person is not me.
Would I ever work at staples again, no it is a mindless thankless job.
Pointers, Staples throws away tons of good stuff in their dumpsters. If an item is status 13 it is supposed to be destroyed and thrown away. The fact is that many staples drones, , , , eeer um i mean associates are just too lazy to destroy the stuff so it goes in the dumpster im new shape! I could probably make more money selling stuff they throw away than working there LOL.
They also throw food away from their snack isle away, so if you are reading this from a public library and are homeless and hungry try staples:)
 19th of Apr, 2011 by   Florida staples GUY 0 Votes
Tech - This guy is 100% right. I work at staples and I can tell you first hand that its true. Staples is a company that wants you to think that they are there to help you get to the next level as along as you follow the Staples way. I was told to walk a customer if the PC sale did not reach a Total basket of 200.00 if not that’s not a staples customer ( so a staples customer is only the one who purchases 200.00 or more with every laptop) I think that Staples need to reconsider their marketing plan. There are better way to make sure that customer get what they need if they market far better.

Cashiers – Also cashiers are put a enormous about of pressure for the staples rewards cards sign up and making sure that they reach a penetration lever of 70% or more and 10 new sign ups per shift. Also they need to see 3 or more protection plans per shift. Last time I checked they are not sales people and want them to work like they are without any compensation for there are work so the Managers and District manager look good. Again another problem that can be changed by staples corp

Office supplies – This is the best of the best. Staples the office supply superstore ha ha 2/3 of all staples store are Electronics and the other 1/3 is office supply. They hire one guy to run this department and he is in charge of breaking down the trunk and filling is department. So many pen and paper products that it is overwhelming for one person to do while customer are stopping him for help. But he needs to have it done before his shift ends if not a write ups happens. Also if there is no tech guy on the floor he is responsible to sell laptops with no experience.

Easy Tech - This is the top of all positions. I oversee most people in this department The resident tech which is the person that supposed to fix Most of them are right out of school and have no experience in fixing anything at all. The processes is to use a usb stick that has a program designed by Norton that is in bed with staples as they are the main Anti-virus program, For the Free PC tune up. (Nothing is free here) most customer will have to pay at least 20.00 of a pc boost . They use a company called support.com to clean virus online. When you go there they tell you you have a virus based on that Norton tool with gives false positives. After that they tell you that one of our tech will be able to remove the virus in turn your information is remotely being clean by a support.com agent ( where in god he maybe in or out of the USA) cleaning your machine with your information. At 200.00 per removal. At the end you need to make 1200 a week in tech and make sure that you have it if not your you will be replace BY SOME OTHER SHUMK.
So to all that want to work for staples remember you will be ask to do more than what you think. Every day you will have to do the job of 3 for you one and get paid like a third class citizen
Your Adviser
Florida guy
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   Swetone 0 Votes
Well hey I just got hired for staples easy resident technician and the only reason they hired me was because I have my A+, how did I get that, by taking a certification test. A+ is required by almost all technician jobs. Ohh and I'm not getting paid minimum wage Fyi, I am getting paid 14.50 starting and after 3 months it will go up to 16 dollars/ hour. I know how to fix PCs. Now for the manager that got fired on top, the reason u got fired was because u went and suggested stuff u should have been doing in the 1st place. And at my store not everyone is able to touch the computers only certified technicians can the only thing the easy tech associAtes can do is input the customers information into our system. Then he hands the pc to the certified technician to fix. The regular associates can't do pc tune ups. Only certified technicians can.
ERT Michael
 15th of May, 2011 by   john justyn 0 Votes
COMPLAINTS SHOULD BE RECTIFIED BY STAPLES.
I'M STILL WAITING FOR MY RECTIFICATION.
 23rd of May, 2011 by   Almost999 +1 Votes
DS wrote:

"If you are fixing computers for minimum wage, then your manager did not code you correctly, which amazingly enough leads back to the manager not doing his job correctly. So the way I see it, in any job, if you don't do what you are supposed to do, then you deserve to be fired."

Oh I'm sorry. Techs working on PCs get 40 cents more than minimum wage. What a difference! Thanks Staples, that totally beats Geek Squad et al.
 16th of Jul, 2011 by   Central-FLA-TPA +1 Votes
Staples started as a decent company to work for. In the North Carolina market, we had a decent caring Regional, a GOOD LP Officer, an awesome DM, and a flakey micromanaging GM, who despite his annoying tendencies and sometimes awful BO, made you feel like a person, NOT a number, and would go the extra length to make sure you were happy. I left the company as an ERT, which I was for 3 and a half years, added to a total of 5 years with Staples. Business was well, and the Easy Tech x.0 Process was just being formed, which allowed alot of us techs who actually HAD Tech Bench experience actually perform and do well, because there was minimal interference from corporate gooning. I joined the company as a Furniture Specialist, which is no longer a coded position due to the fact that all staples furniture now sucks, and the majority of it is pushed through Advantage or catalog.

I was NOT A+ Certified, never have been A+ Certified, other than the Excerpt test Staples made me take earlier this year. Even though I have 10 years of back to back summer experience blowing up, and eventually, fixing PC's as a teen job, I For the employee above who stated that everyone must be certified: What Region are you in? because here, I can tell you, that is not true. And if you're talking about the excerpt A+ test that allows you to be coded as "Certified", its a load of crock. Half the questions my 11 year old God Son could answer, whom I would let him work on my OWN rig, before I let half of the "Certified Techs" work on mine at Staples. I've seen guys pass this test with the use of Google at the Tech PC, and also with the power of Android or the iPoon. I would NEVER recommend a close friend, or family member walk into ANY Staples store without me being present if they were buying anything other than a ream of paper, which is ridiculously priced, like the majority of products @ Staples.

Transferring to the Central FL Market was the worst decision of my career. Most customers would never come back if they realized the things that went on behind the counter. My duties as ERT consisted of damage control, due to incompetent employees being hired behind my counter. We had no support or respect from our DM, our LP Officer was a crook, I witnessed people fired for bringing unethical claims forward to LP versus using the ethics 1800 line. ERTs are expected to not only work the floor, which includes selling PC's, printers, machines, furniture, finding ink for the countless elderly people, but also work whatever is on the production board, bench, or what is coming up to your counter simultaneously, while doing freight, directed pulls, and replenishment. Coverage is horrible, and scheduling is done back to back to save hours. The only communication I had with our other ET Assocs. is "Hi", and "Bye", thus further breaking down communication, which culminates into a cluster f**ck of mis-communication.

All Easy Tech Services start to your friendly 3+ Years and running "FREE PC TUNE UP". Ever heard the term, "Nothing is free in life you idiot". As any business ploy, its to get you in to spend more money. I can sit here and tell you that there is marginally, nothing that you yourself cannot do that a "FREE PC TUNE UP" does. I have never seen a "FREE PC TUNE UP" do anything other than spout false positives. support.com, which is the third party in which Online Services are rendered through (Services which include Virus Removals), is horrible. Their techs are rude, snide, and above all else, NEVER get the job done. We have incomplete tools, which the majority of the tools I had, I brought my self, and the Tech Kits I had, were my own personal flash drives, which was AGAINST company policy to have, however, I never would have been able to get anything accomplished if I didn't bring something in that worked. Why? Because Staples Easy Tech believes that all you need is a Diagnostic on EVERY sale, A Flash Drive with NTT (Norton) on it, and PC Doctor. A Diagnostic is marketed as "If we cant find the issue, you get your money back" However, I have never, since this slogan has launched, seen ANYONE get that fee back, because Staples Easy Techs default response to issues that will take too long, or noone has any clue on is to "Send it to Depot Repair" for $369. Pick Up and Drop Off Procedures are nightmares...there is so much paper work that not only prints, but also has to be written in a certain way. On more than one occasion I have had customers walk away, and take their PC's elsewhere because of the way Staples wants the Initial Intake Process completed. The system we used to catalog services and keep information is extremely unreliable, as well as difficult to utilize in a snap. The Parts Depot is also unreliable, and always seems to be staffed with some guy who sounds like Joe Pesci from My Cousin Vinny, which also has an equally sh**t attitude because the part which is promised to the customer within a MAX of 10 days is taking 15 to 20.

You can say whatever you want, but Customer Data is NOT SAFEGUARDED IN AN EFFICIENT MANNER, in either of the three stores i've worked. It is opened to everyone, and anyone. I consistently found all manner of associates behind my counter, using the tech pc, or running "FREE PC TUNE UPS". The cable locks for lock the PC's and the storage bins (for those stores that have upgraded tech counters), are of the cheapest quality. Your unit is not safe at night, or during the day. I have used screwdrivers on more than one occasion to open the doors, because some idiot once again took the only key home, which by the way, is able to be duplicated with the right gear and the right cash waved in front of someone to ignore the warning stamped on it to not duplicate it.

The network was always going down, which multiple calls to IS over the course of a year never fixed the issue. If I had to call you and tell you your service was delayed, normally, it was because our network was down again.

All associates are brainwashed, and pressured into selling extended plans and warranties at all costs. I would never buy a computer with a warranty at Staples, as I have been apart of the warranty claim process, and literally cringe each and every time I have to be apart of it...as the computer never comes back fixed, EVER. Associates are taught to sell certain products, which to no surprise includes warranties, and Norton, whom Staples has a cute relationship with. If you're sale is not a weighty one, its almost expected to tell the customer "You dont have the PC", because they aren't buying any extras at the ridiculous price that they are at. Stores send customers back and forth while playing this game, because noone wants to take a hit on their numbers or metrics. There is no discount, oh wait, 10% On everything BUT computers and services.

I started pleasantly pleased, and ended up completely embarrassed I had ever worked for the company. I left on my own terms, and am now working part time at CompUSA, holding a full time medical career. I would never, in a million years, suggest anyone think about joining Staples. It's a company going down hill, and they have filed Bankruptcy Protection once already. They underpay, overwork, and try to squeeze every last ounce of sweat, blood, and tenacity out of decent employees, all while trying to mimic other techno-giants like Best Buy, and do it the cheapest, most inefficient way.
 14th of Aug, 2011 by   Addeme +1 Votes
Staples Ink Cartridge Scam-
If you wish to return your ink cartridges to Staples, beware. When you receive your redemption coupon, it is only for a small window of time, then they will not honor it.
I was out of the country this summer for over a month and went to use my 12.00 coupon, but was not allowed to do so.
If this was based off what i had bought, I could have lived with it, but those ink cartridges are personal property, not perks and I do regard this as theft.
I will not use the company any longer and I wanted people to know that this is how this store does business.
 28th of Nov, 2011 by   balbosta 0 Votes
This whole post is ridiculous. I see why you got fired as a GM. You're very unprofessional. I, myself, am an Easy tech, sales hybrid. I work on computers on a daily basis, and definitely know what I'm doing. I WAS NOT pulled off the street. We DO NOT over charge customers. We actually do a lot of price cuts with tech services depending on what was paid for prior, and what is needed to finish service on the computer. My Resident technician is the most knowledgeable technician I have ever met, and actually does tech work for 2 other MAJOR companies. Staples techs CANNOT use freeware. We have certain virus removal tools and diagnostic tools that we are allowed to use, and they are all very costly. We CANNOT perform virus removals. Virus removals are done in store, over the internet. The computer is booted into safe mode, and is taken over remotely for the service. There are many certifications that I had to go through to become a technician and a lot of supervised training with my resident tech. Any future employee that does not have some form of degree does NOT get hired directly as a technician. They get hired into "sales" and slowly, through various certifications and training, become a technician. And lastly, a copy of the work order, and ID are needed to pick up a computer. If we saw you drop it off, we're lenient on that matter. Or if you call in advance, and let us know who will be picking it up. Just because you're a disgruntled and embarrassed man, who was let go from a General Management position for being unprofessional, does not mean you have to bad mouth an entire company.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
balbosta@gmail.com
 4th of Dec, 2011 by   Tio Nino 0 Votes
Come on people, lets get real. As a former employee from this company i can tell you that their services are bad, I am a certified tech so I got a real job that pays me a decent wage based on my certifications. For one thing the priorities on Staples have changed, for example if you are working on a machine and they pull you over the cash register to do cashiering jobs, you have to drop everything you are working on to do attend the registers. I was forced to up sell always looking for the company not the customer, we ha to meet quotes, easytech to get $2000 a week, warranties about 7%, the hard part was to work in the floor put away merchandise, sell, and upswell and at the same time to work on computers, there were times when only one employee had to cover everything. But for some weird reason we had lots of cashiers.
I know that every store is different and maybe they are some good techs out there, but if they know how much they are worth, they should a better paying job, get certified and apply somewhere else, Staples wages for tech can start about $9 to $ 11 per hr, with the certifications you can get a starting pay at Best Buy for about $17.
One thing about Staples is they are good at selling office supplies, but tech services have a long way to go. If the company wants to become the best they need to hire the best with the best pay, at least $18 plus commissions based on sales. Then maybe they have a chance.
 13th of Jan, 2012 by   TechPro +1 Votes
Hmm..not all Techs that work at Staples are incompetent...I am the Easy Tech Lead at a Best tech Store, and do a majority of the work on customers computers in-store and on-site. Certifications currently in my possession... CompTIA A+, NET+, Security +; CISCO CCENT; Microsoft MCP. I am a experienced Network professional by trade, so you can't say that all techs are hired off the street with zero experience because that just isn't true.
 1st of Mar, 2012 by   ihad2complain 0 Votes
thats false all easytechs are certified and knowledgable, I agree staples pushes easytechs on selling services and sales and tech work, doesnt provide a car for onsite techs and pays very close to miniumum wage for someone thats experianced and knowledgable and does the same or more work for someone that should be making atleast 15-16 dollars an hour. I found that its all about money working for them. Its a really nice place to work and the push on the sales can be sometimes fun but when you think about how much they pay its kind of dissapointing. They came out with the whole VIBE and ET 2.0, I hope they look at the value of the employee in the future becuase I would like to stay there if they actually pay us more attention and stop underpaying us and value their employees.
 15th of May, 2012 by   StapleTheStapler 0 Votes
Okay, I worked at Staples briefly and all the negative posts in this thread are true. I don't know where the positive posts come from, but my Texas store fits all the negative points

easyTechs aren't hired with formal certification

The pay sucks, all employees are expected to "Sell, Sell, Sell" protection plans, rewards, and store credit accounts without any commission. All employees are expected to be proficient on the cash register in addition to their hired position.

The hours suck, at best you can get 30 hours on a schizophrenic schedule (open, close, midday, overnight) there are no set shifts and if you're new, expect to work 1 or 2 days a week on average and expect to be sent home early often.

I joined Staples because in the interview they said that I could expect to work 20-30 hours per week on average.

I left Staples because they were only working me 8 (16 if I was lucky) hours per week and giving me the run around about the promised scheduled hours.

The store manager told me" "it's just how things are in retail"
I replied: "not in any of the retail jobs I've had previously"
 20th of Jun, 2012 by   Silicon Style 0 Votes
...when did they start requiring us to have additional certifications? I must have missed that particular memo.
Now, for the point by point rebuttal...

1: I catch anyone other than someone who's allowed to work on the computers even standing behind the counter? Management is informed and I personally (and physically) escort them out of there.

2: Way back when I started, to be a technician, you had to actually attend a training event. Even now, there is a certification test, but it's no walk in the park, honestly. It is an adaptive test that changes based on how you answer. There is no training going over the test, it is not actually administered by Staples, and it requires either personal knowledge, Google, or another employee walking you through it. Of course, a manager allowing the second two would be a major violation of ethical policies...

3: This gets you hired into the DEPARTMENT, not to be able to work on computers. You get hired, you have an A cert, and you can't pass the Staples requested certification test? You don't get to work on computers, just the sales floor.

4: You, sir, seem to be getting the "Free PC-Tune Up" and the (relatively now) Diagnostic Refund confused. Yes, we offer a Free PC-Tune Up, which is a basic check to see if we can get some money out of you. Scan for viruses, defrag the system, run windows update...nothing truly groundbreaking. It's mainly to see if we can find viruses. The Diagnostic Refund is not 'free'...it states (running from memory, here...)That if we cannot fix your machine, your diagnostic is refunded. I don't recall ever being outright told (by way of company policy) to refund the diagnostic elsewise. The diagnostic is not free. Best case, it goes towards your repair (a Data Transfer, by the way, does NOT fix a problem...)...and it's supposed to be charged in advance. If you haven't been collecting money in advance, I can see why you were fired.

5: I. Am. Offended. We f*** up your computer, we fix it. It's right there in the legally binding contract that is signed at intake. This seems more ineptitude of the individual store than a company wide thing, as it's an easily exposed lie. A customer can opt out of ANY service before it's performed. They come in and a computer is in worse state than when they dropped it off (brought it in for office to be installed, come in and it's now an Elder God...) that kind of raises red flags that the store screwed something up, and should fix it. It doesn't apply to all situations, we've had a couple of hard drives fail outright on us in the middle of a tune up due to unseen errors, but for the most part, if your computer breaks on the bench? It's fixed by staples.

6: Yes, Support.com (not the in store. It's actually explicitly listed that using unauthorized software on the store level is a terminable offense) uses software that can be downloaded by the user for free. I've actually got a bit to go along with this in a moment, so not going to be redundant. But it's not the in-store technician using the software.

7: It's also not required to have the intake paperwork unless it's someone whose name doesn't match picking up the computer. You pick it up, we're supposed to check ID. If the name mismatches, and we don't have permission for you to receive the computer, you don't get it until we call the person whose name is on the computer. If you have permission to pick it up, we make a a photocopy of the ID (black and white only) and then you get it. Not all stores do this, just saying how it's supposed to be done.

What the fired manager, who appears to have been posting out of sheer butthurt for being fired, has forgotten is that (and this applies to ALL computer repair locations)...there isn't a THING that we do that the customer cannot do themselves. From the lowliest of defragmentations to replacing every part in a laptop after a liquid spill, the customer can do all of this on their own. Do they have time to do so, or patience? Do their hands shake so bad they can't get a screwdriver into the guides? Fear drives a lot of people in, afraid that if they click the wrong button, their computer will burst into flames and a screamo band will start a performance in their lap. Why yes, the prices are high. Consider it less how much the service is worth and more 'how much is the convenience worth?'.

You appear to have been GROSSLY breaking policy, which is the only reason you would have been terminated without cause. As a GM, you should've known this..you cannot just 'be fired' in Staples, with a few exceptions. If they do not have a writeup or a note to file on the record for you, you for the most part cannot be fired. Unless you were to steal (immediate), or...

...well, let's say that if you were a General Manager, knowingly letting your employees release computers to people without checking ID, letting your employees use freeware that is unlicensed by Staples to use, letting whatever employees were on shift look at customer computers without them being authorized to work on computers...these are all offenses that can result in immediate termination, without cause, to the individual. A GM letting this go on for so long without curtailing it...let's just say that the employees are obviously not the cause of the issue.

Sources: Work for Staples. Work in a Right to Work state. Have watched management fruitlessly try to fire employees. Also, do all of my own computer repair, build my own machines, administer my own server and network, and generally have (and had before starting there) experience working on and with computers. But, if you think this is better than attending a class and being told that you're now able to work on computers, such as with A certifications or the Staples certification process... (see what I did there?)

Also, it feels weird writing this post defending Staples after, on another site, condemning Staples for a different reason.
 20th of Jun, 2012 by   lycheelemon -1 Votes
Dear Ms. Zyda,

Your feedback is much appreciated. We would like to contact you directly and hear from you.
May we have your email address or contact number?
Or, is it possible to contact us at m.alulod@samsung.com

Again, thanks for your valuable time. We hope to hear from you soon.

Monei Alulod

Customer Service Division

Samsung
 25th of Jun, 2012 by   ThatWasBullshit 0 Votes
I'm a ETE in California who get harassed about all the time on how my numbers aren't good enough. I'm also a key carrier who is MOD and closes the store 4 nights a week with no other manager and is responsible for Tech, BM, OS, Load, Planograms, Copy Center at times, and covering breaks and lunches . And they wonder why are ESP is at 5% all the time. This company can suck my dick and anyone else who defends it can suck it as well.
 27th of Dec, 2012 by   DanableLector 0 Votes
What a horribly inaccurate assessment of Easy Tech services. I am one of 3 A+ certified techs at my staples, and had to have the certification to even apply. We require all customers provide identification upon pick up, Diagnostics cost 69.99 and are only done on a machine after they are examined and it is deemed necessary. Virus removals are not done that way, we do not use freeware, and the only associates that have access to personal data are techs.. which is normal. Your write up is ignorant, horribly inaccurate, and I have a hard time believing you held a management position of any sort, at any time, anywhere. That being said, every staples is different and a lot of things change over the course of a few years. My staples is the shit, my co workers are the shit, and the benefits for part time employees is mother fucking BOSS. Sorry you had a bad experience of some sort with a staples, but don't go condemning the entire company because your store sucks dick, and doesn't adhere to company policy.
 28th of Feb, 2013 by   Jeff Abbott +1 Votes
I purchased a laptop for my business in November 2012. The pushy old lady that was the star salesperson was there because she got demoted from management for not being a people person and now she is a computer expert! Regardless I didn't want the new HP Envy 7 or Windows 8 and they talked me into both, saying "we will take care of you if anything is wrong", never has that saying been 180 degrees false. My laptop is basically junk as it auto updates(they set it up) and uninstall programs I am working on. Windows 8 is not user friendly, but tablet software and Staples, HP and Microsoft are in bed together while the consumer has little to no recourse. Well they messed with the wrong person. The GM at Spring Hill, FL store said he would get back to me(three weeks ago) and the glorified customer service dept they call the Office of the President doesn't help or return calls. I have stood out front of two of their biggest stores and discouraged people from EVER buying there, I just show them my 2 1/2 month old laptop that was a waste of a $1000. I estimate that I have turned over $35, 000 of print and computer business away.
 1st of Mar, 2013 by   Jeff Abbott 0 Votes
Today I tried again to contact the store GM in Spring Hill, FL and even contact their corporate customer service to get my laptop situation resolved...Again they run from me like the plague because A)They are cowards, they prey on the older people around here B) because they really don't care about the consumer. After wasting another hour and a half trying to contact the management at Staples I posted a Blog on a friends website of my "factual" experience that Staples and their employees can NOT dispute at this point. In one hour I got thirteen calls, five emails of customer's of theirs who experienced something similar after a purchase, three were from the same store. A few went as far to say Noel, the GM is a complete jerk, but that is neither here or there since he is a coward and has no follow up skills. Anyway one lady has posted her "bad" experience at the Timber Pines Retirement community and referenced mine as well. There are thousands of retired people that will no longer buy from Staples...I will spend my time making sure others know this as well.

How Countrywide Profited on Foreclosures