logo

Uniqcare Recruitment Ltd
Uniqcare Recruitment
5. (11 mins ago)
Susana B. Tolchard, Attorney
didn't do the work, wont return money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Kopeman

Awful experience

Standard Pacific Homes
standardpacifichomes.com
I bought a brand new Standard Pacific home in March 2007 for over a million dollars. In May, 2008, I brought to Standard Pacific's attention (with 20+ emails and service requests) that there is exposed, rusted reinforcement rebar all along the foundation footing. The City Inspector said this was not built to City Code. Standard Pacific said they would have a Structural Engineer from the company that designed the foundation slab come to my home to assess the problem. Instead of a Structural Engineer a Field Superintendant from SunCoast Post-tension looked at it - with no comments. I then requested a Structural Engineer to assess the problem - as I was previously told would. Standard Pacific did not grant that request. I requested a letter stating the findings and the fix to this potentially unsafe problem. Standard Pacific sent me a letter from SunCoast Post-tension that states "the structural integrity of the foundation is not jeopardized ..." and the "fix" is to apply "rust-o-leum to it. The gentleman's name (and engineering stamp) at the bottom of the letter does not work for SunCoast. When I contacted the gentleman who suppose ably wrote the letter - he knew nothing about me, my home or writing the letter. I then brought this to Standard Pacific's attention - asking how can a man that does not work for the company that the letter is from and who has not seen the exposed, rusted reinforcement rebar at the foundation footing say that it is safe and OK? Standard Pacific's Director of Customer Service - would not answer the question. They have very poor craftsmanship and obviously have nothing to say about it except trying to lie their way out. This is a major construction defect that is NOT to City Code and is potentially unsafe for my family to even be in the home. Standard Pacific is unwilling to assess the safety of this issue with the appropriate professional and “fix” it accordingly. We also have defective weep screed which is rusted and corroded that they refuse to remove and replace. Multiple neighbors have the defective weep screed also.
Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Jul, 2009 by   Alex 0 Votes
My husband and I have been under a contract with Standard Pacific Homes (SPH) for almost 2 years in Pembroke Pines, Florida. (Cobblestone) Our original contract with them was at the Montclair Homes. As a result of the developers poor sales, they cancelled our contract @ Montclair and offered another model in Cobblestone. They offered an incentive of 100, 000.00 off the original price of the town-home at the time last year. We had notice that the construction of our home was delayed for quite sometime. Now as the construction is going forward, we are encountering changes to the original model of the home we purchase. (An example) They are modified a balcony to a reduce 1 person balcony instead of the original design, where two to three people were able to sit in the original balcony as showed in the model. Secondly they have change the original HOA contract we sign. They are now requiring that we purchase the homeowners insurance which was originally included in the HOA fees as signed in the purchase contract. As a result, we have had to retain an attorney at this time especially after being threaten by Ms. KC Messer that they will keep our $18, 000.00. Our attorney has also informed us that the developer has not responded to any of his letters. They honestly feel they can modify and change our original contract and design of the home and we just have to take it as it comes. We are very concern as to what else is this developer changing in the home to reduce cost. It is obvious, that they will continue to change our contract agreement and perhaps feel that they are above the law. We are planning to obtain a permit with the City of Pembroke Pines. We will stand with warning signs advising any potential buyers what sort of developers they will be dealing with. Who knows how many other buyers that are in a contract with Standard Pacific Homes, are in the same boat we are in. These developers should not get away threatening and changing contracts as they pleased.
 3rd of Jul, 2011 by   RHGRECO 0 Votes
If, in fact, someone forged a letter I would have to agree that Standard Pacific handled things poorly...to say the least. If I was the engineer and this was true, there would be legal action against SunCoast. I would have requested a letter from the engineer stating that he did not author this letter. Since you requested all kinds of letters except one from the engineer proving an important point in your allegations, I am suspicious. Exposed steel will rust, but why on earth you think that makes your home unsafe baffles me. Do you question the steel in your driveway? Do you question the re-bar buried in tons of WET cement in your slab? How about the post tension cables where the dead ends are anchored along the perimeter of your foundation? Did you know those are simply tensioned, cut, anchored, and covered with mortar? I am an engineer by education and have been in the construction business for well over a decade. I believe your foundation is not only safe, but performing exactly as it was intended. Rust is not against city code. Foundations cannot be poured until a city has passed the "make-ready". I smell something rotten and I think it is you.

Health Care Reform is Unconstitutional