logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Merlin Loans
took money from my account
2. (0 mins ago)
CHEVROLET MOTORS WORLDWIDE LTD.
CHEVROLET Programs & Events Department
3. (10 mins ago)
ICICI NRI Banking - Money2India
Money2india: read this before you use the service!
4. (13 mins ago)
Tianshi/Tiens
Is product really working
5. (48 mins ago)
Sars
Incompetence and non willingness to help

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Westboro Spine Center
E. Main St
Phone: 508-898-0144
westspine.com
DRX9000 is another trip/trap designed to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE IN DESPERATE PAIN.

Read this and then run, don't walk, the other way:

For those who don't know, the DRX 9000 is a fancy traction table billed by those who treat back pain (mainly chiropractors and in my area a group of DO's) as a spinal "decompression" unit. I initially became suspicious and concerned about the device when I had several back pain patients that were previously treated at the DO's facility. The ALL said that their treatment consisted of daily treatments for 6 weeks of spinal decompression in the DRX 9000, water massage (like you see in malls) and blowing up a balloon. The latter is a whole other subject to post about. The point here is the DAILY treatment for 6 weeks. Regardless if they had simple mechanical LBP, HNP, stenosis, etc, everyone seems to have received the same treatment. The worst part is, in many cases, their insurance companies did not pay for this plan of care.

Now the Tampa Tribune reports the manufacturer, Axiom Worldwide, was raided by FBI agents this morning. Why? The story doesn't say, but Dean Moyer over at Rebuild Your Back states this:

Rumor has it that the allegations leveled against Axiom are:

* Axiom instructs DRX 9000 clinic owners how to defraud insurance companies in the training manuals that come with the machine.

* Axiom provides false advertising materials … in the form of slick infomercials and print advertising … as part of the DRX-9000 package.

* Claims of FDA approval are distorted and misrepresented as a selling point in the commercials. The truth is, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has never evaluated the machine for safety or effectiveness. As it turns out, the DRX was grandfathered in because it is similar to other traction tables and, therefore, considered an existing medical device.

* The claim by Axiom that their machine is based on NASA research is a total fabrication. NASA has never played a part in the development of the DRX or any other spinal decompression machine.

What can you do? Educate, educate, educate. Don't be afraid to tell people the truth. There is NO literature that shows the DRX 9000 to be more beneficial than standard traction and not much literature that shows traction, in general is helpful. Hopefully the Feds can help put a stop to people using "Dr." to dupe the layperson in to forking over money for treatment that is excessive in number and in no way has been shown to be better than less expensive treatment.
Comments United States Medical Negligence and Deficiency
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

27th of Nov, 2011 by   Dr. Paul M. Turner 0 Votes
The DRX9000 has helped thousands get back to a normal life pain free, Too bad people that treat back pain feel threatened to the point that they have to post misleading comments like this.
 14th of Dec, 2011 by   Dr. Paul M. Turner 0 Votes
After about 20 yrs of back pain, my fit, strong, active husband, Rob did something major to his back. MRI showed 2 badly herniated discs. He needed surgery but he simply refused to allow anyone cut into his spine. One day Rob’s pain went from bad to debilitating. When I tell you he couldn't move, it is no exaggeration. He couldn’t sit at all. Even a reclining position was unbearable. This meant basically lying on the floor or bed. Even attempting to walk was agonizing. No one could talk him into the surgery-it scared him to death. We have 3 sons and he wanted to be able to be an active part of their lives. He owns a construction company, loves to deep sea fish. Forget it, he couldn’t even join us to the dinner table. This went on for about 5 weeks. I was at my wits end, my poor husband was growing increasingly depressed and he was getting no better with time. About 2:00a.m. one night, in an attempt to learn more about what options he might have other than surgery, I found the info. And web site of Dr. Paul Turner. Westborough is about an hour drive for us, how would I even get him in the car and all the way to Westborough? I watched all the internet news clips and You Tube videos and then brought our lap top to my husband in bed and made him watch. He agreed to try the DRX machine. That morning I called Dr. Turner. He was able to see us right away and that day Rob was on the machine. Dr. Turner explained what he would be able to do with the use of the DRX-we had to try it. We didn’t know what to expect. If this hurt Rob more I could never forgive myself. We took a leap of faith and Rob agreed to try the DRX. That was the first time I had seen my husband in weeks smile. The decompression took the pressure off his discs and he was able to finally breathe. We went every day for about 3 weeks. Dr. Turner was like an angel from heaven. He came in on his week end to treat Rob. It wasn’t over night. The first week we saw very little improvement, but there was improvement. By the end of the 2nd week, he was making big progress and at about 20 sessions, he was 80% pain free. But that wasn’t good enough for either Rob or Dr. Turner. So Rob continued a little bit more (less frequently) until he was nearly perfect. As you can imagine, it was a rebirth for our whole family. And Rob could put his own socks on!!! Let me also tell you, Dr. Turner is not a sales man. He is not a pushy, know-it-all Chiropractor. He is a kind compassionate knowledgeable man who doesn’t bully people. He works entirely on his own and runs his business himself, and he does a perfect job at it. He wants to heal his patients. It has been 2 ½ years since Rob started with Dr. Turner. He goes once a month to keep himself in line and say hello to the man who quite honestly saved his life
 14th of Nov, 2012 by   ochoninja 0 Votes
The statement that NASA helped in the development of the machine was not what I read. It stated that it was noticed that in a gravity free atmosphere, the astronauts were taller. Some engineers developed this machine, but nowhere did I read that it had anything to do with NASA. My husband has been going to the Morris Stenosis Center in Santa Monica and they do not just throw you on the machine. Doctor Morris does a thorough initial evaluation and will examine all MRIs, CT scans, X-rays and do testing on flexibility, movement, pain etc. Than one begins with some physical therapy to relax the muscles around the spine to prepare for the decompression, the doctor also teaches us some movements for flexibility and strengthening of muscles and abs to support the back and aid in improvement. The entire staff is very committed and are trained in the procedures and are definitely giving patient centered care. I know some of the procedures as I am an Occupational therapist and have some knowledge of rehab.
 7th of May, 2013 by   Hidden Fees 0 Votes
The DRX9000 was a Godsend to me. I was in unbearable pain for 6 months and scheduled for removal of 3 herniated discs and the fusion of 4 vertebrae by a noted neurosurgeon in Southlake, TX. After 20 sessions with the DRX9000 I was pain free. That was 2 years ago.
 24th of Jul, 2013 by   Andrew Reno DC, CCIC 0 Votes
I have been using the treatment for seven years now. We have saved hundreds of patients from opoids, injections, second and first back surgeries. Opioid addiction now kills more people than car accidents and sucide combined. The FBI has now labeled it an epidemic. The procedure flat out works!! You should see benefits in your first 10 visits. If not then go do the most dangerous procedures such as injections and being put to sleep for your "elective surgery".
I have never met a surgeon worth his salt that pushed for elective low back surgery. I have never met a chiropractor or PT that did not know when a surgeon was absolutely necessary. Don't be fooled by the FBI raid. I live near Quanico Virginia and have helped several agents avoid all of the above. To find a good doc make sure he has connections with good nerosurgeons and performs PT as well. Sometimes a team approach is necessary. The only way we save healthcare is to work together to avoid all of the drugs and overuse of profitable dangerous surgeries this country uses. America comprises 5% of the words population yet consumes 90% of the words narcotics. Many PCPs are waking up and good pain management doctors are working hard to find less addictive or non-addictive topical creams. We are working together everyday to help patients from addiction and the cascade effect that low back surgery creates.
Yours in health,
Andrew Reno DC, CCIC
 18th of Jun, 2014 by   Long Island Long Beacher 0 Votes
A series of lumbar MRI images over a four year period shows my spine is better today than it was years ago. That said, I'm getting older and back still requires periodic shots, opiates and weekly therapy/DRX treatment. Truth is biggest cure is relieving daily stress. Next in my view is the MRI films show how important the machine has been in my ability to function. Two years ago, i needed a cane and was forced to go out on short-term disability. Today, i get up at 4 am, usually walk to the train, take the train for an hour followed by two subways. After work, i reverse the commute except my wife usually picks me up at the local station. I know I couldn't do it five days a week if it wasn't for the DRX. Just make sure there's trust with the doctor as it gets expensive.

Mechanic Scams